• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Will SanDisk ever come out with this?

Search This thread

Neo3D

Jan 2, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
SanDisk 128gb Micro-USB OTG Flash drive
SanDisk-Class-10-MicroUSB-128gb-OTG_zpsba500d95.jpg

Last edited:

Neo3D

Jan 2, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
No, because it is way too niche.

What if the next generation of ultra portables has one or a couple of these in addition to the full size USB. It would encourage flash memory makers to start making micro USB flash drives (with built in OTG)?

If consumers demand it, then someone somewhere will supply it? China makes tons of niche products.

earlyberd

Mar 29, 2010
SoC manufacturers should just stop messing around and give us the large amounts of local storage we've been asking for. I can buy a 128GB flash drive that is smaller than a stick of gum, yet somehow 64GB of storage in a much larger tablet or smartphone is seen as uneconomical.

If this were desktop computers we were talking about, cloud storage would be the niche and massive local storage would be the norm. It's like nobody remembers the days when the biggest selling point of the iPod was the storage capacity. You can still get an iPod Classic with 160GB of space for only $250, but a 64GB iPhone costs $300 more than the 16GB version.

I'm convinced the flash memory market is basically a racket.

danboard

Dec 26, 2009
Vancouver
SoC manufacturers should just stop messing around and give us the large amounts of local storage we've been asking for. I can buy a 128GB flash drive that is smaller than a stick of gum, yet somehow 64GB of storage in a much larger tablet or smartphone is seen as uneconomical.

If this were desktop computers we were talking about, cloud storage would be the niche and massive local storage would be the norm. It's like nobody remembers the days when the biggest selling point of the iPod was the storage capacity. You can still get an iPod Classic with 160GB of space for only $250, but a 64GB iPhone costs $300 more than the 16GB version.

I'm convinced the flash memory market is basically a racket.

There are different types of flash memory in terms of reliability, speed, and cost. Most of the time when you talk about flash memory you're referring to NAND or NOR type memory.

NAND is cheaper to produce and is commonly used in USB drives, MP3 players, etc. due to its higher storage capacities but suffers from poor read speeds which a smartphone heavily relies on. This is where NOR memory comes in, its MUCH more expensive than NAND but gives the read performance that devices like smartphones need to simultaneously for example play music, launch an app, etc. without bringing the phone to a complete halt. This explains why the cost of storage on tablets/phones per gigabyte is much higher than for example a flash drive.

Also this:

You can still get an iPod Classic with 160GB
That uses a small hard drive not flash based memory making it even cheaper in terms of gigabyte per dollar than flash memory. In general we don't use hard drives in tablets and smartphones because as a trade off you lose reliability, power consumption, and not to mention its physical size (Theres a reason the iPod classic is so thick).

cordell507

Mar 15, 2011
nat
There are different types of flash memory in terms of reliability, speed, and cost. Most of the time when you talk about flash memory you're referring to NAND or NOR type memory.

NAND is cheaper to produce and is commonly used in USB drives, MP3 players, etc. due to its higher storage capacities but suffers from poor read speeds which a smartphone heavily relies on. This is where NOR memory comes in, its MUCH more expensive than NAND but gives the read performance that devices like smartphones need to simultaneously for example play music, launch an app, etc. without bringing the phone to a complete halt. This explains why the cost of storage on tablets/phones per gigabyte is much higher than for example a flash drive.

Also this:

That uses a small hard drive not flash based memory making it even cheaper in terms of gigabyte per dollar than flash memory. In general we don't use hard drives in tablets and smartphones because as a trade off you lose reliability, power consumption, and not to mention its physical size (Theres a reason the iPod classic is so thick).
you do realize that almost all phones use NAND

earlyberd

Mar 29, 2010
you do realize that almost all phones use NAND

This.

Desktops use DRAM for memory-intensive processes, and slower HDD-based storage for secondary media. There is no reason why a smartphone can't have 1GB of NOR reserved for the OS and RAM, and a secondary NAND-based volume for apps, games, music, etc.

jomaxro

Nov 19, 2010
Troy
s
This.

Desktops use DRAM for memory-intensive processes, and slower HDD-based storage for secondary media. There is no reason why a smartphone can't have 1GB of NOR reserved for the OS and RAM, and a secondary NAND-based volume for apps, games, music, etc.

I agree with earlyberd. This is exactly how people have been doing it with SSDs in computers for a while. While large SSD devices are typically prohibitively expensive. up to 7 times the cost per GB, putting a small <200 GB SSD in a computer, coupled with a larger HDD, gives both the performance for the OS and apps, and the amount of storage needed for large media libraries or work documents.

Eliott

Jun 29, 2008
Tokyo
... but a 64GB iPhone costs $300 more than the 16GB version.

The difference in cost between the two amounts of memory is just a few dollars.

It is highly likely that the the cheap version costs MORE to produce than the expensive one.

The reason they do it is what economists call 'price targeting'

Basically, they could sell you the 64GB for the same price as the 16GB version and still make a profit. But they would lose out heavily on all those people who would have happily paid another $300 for the same product.

In an economist's perfect world Apple would sell just the 64 GB version for the manufacturing cost plus 'whatever the customer can afford', be that $20, $200 or even $2,000. This way they could maximise their profits.

But we all know they can't do that so instead they provide two versions of pretty much the same product, one for poor people and one for those with a bit more cash to flash.

Businesses have been doing this for years; second class train carriages, overpriced extras in coffee shops, different models of printers etc. The cost to the manufacturer of adding the extra 'luxury' is minimal but it encourages richer people to reveal they have more money to spend.

Hell, Amazon took the who thing one step further when they added a tracking cookie that would change the listed price of their products depending on whether you were a new or returning customer. Two people looking at the same DVD at the same time would see two very different prices (unless they deleted the cookies off their pc.

So yeah, it sucks ass for us consumers, but I don't see the problem going away any time soon. In fact I expect it to get worse and for more phone/tablet manufacturers to remove the sd slot altogether. This is a trick they won't give up on easily.

Reactions: moe6

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
Best to email sandisk about it, i did and they said that it doesn't exist but will take it into consideration depending upon interest.

Reactions: delpiero223

foxraph

Nov 22, 2010
Hello I want to buy a card like this in 32 or 64 gb.
But I can not find it on the internet
Do you have any link?
Thank you :laugh:

bar_rodoy

Oct 12, 2011
It's shame that we need to dream about these kind of flash drive. The manufactures need to stop the new trend of removing sd slots.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

wscott66

Sep 21, 2017
I'll give away the secrete sauce which is how Flash vendors should be making their drives...
Have you seen most of the multi-cables avaialbe now, which include a "Magnetic" end which adapts to Micro, Lightning, Type-C?
Well why hasn't this made its way to the flash media?
Why make your flash device fixed to one platform... Make it universal like cable manufacturers are!

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

And if that doesnt work, todats young generation loves keeping their fingers busy, now with the spinners. why not make a spinner flash drive?
Each of the 4 ends can have a different connector (eg: Type A, Type C, Micro, Lightning) it could be balanced by the caps so it works like a true spinner, but have flash storage, lights, you name it...

I need to stop giving away all these good concepts and get a job with a company to produce them!
Anyone Hiring? :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That is perfect! You should make it, get rich with it...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    ... but a 64GB iPhone costs $300 more than the 16GB version.

The difference in cost between the two amounts of memory is just a few dollars.

It is highly likely that the the cheap version costs MORE to produce than the expensive one.

The reason they do it is what economists call 'price targeting'

Basically, they could sell you the 64GB for the same price as the 16GB version and still make a profit. But they would lose out heavily on all those people who would have happily paid another $300 for the same product.

In an economist's perfect world Apple would sell just the 64 GB version for the manufacturing cost plus 'whatever the customer can afford', be that $20, $200 or even $2,000. This way they could maximise their profits.

But we all know they can't do that so instead they provide two versions of pretty much the same product, one for poor people and one for those with a bit more cash to flash.

Businesses have been doing this for years; second class train carriages, overpriced extras in coffee shops, different models of printers etc. The cost to the manufacturer of adding the extra 'luxury' is minimal but it encourages richer people to reveal they have more money to spend.

Hell, Amazon took the who thing one step further when they added a tracking cookie that would change the listed price of their products depending on whether you were a new or returning customer. Two people looking at the same DVD at the same time would see two very different prices (unless they deleted the cookies off their pc.

So yeah, it sucks ass for us consumers, but I don't see the problem going away any time soon. In fact I expect it to get worse and for more phone/tablet manufacturers to remove the sd slot altogether. This is a trick they won't give up on easily.
    Best to email sandisk about it, i did and they said that it doesn't exist but will take it into consideration depending upon interest.