Will swapping motherboard remove bootloader lock?

Search This thread

hascherpur

Feb 6, 2019
I have the opportunity to get a verizon locked pixel 4 and I was wondering whether swapping the motherboard out would remove the lock. I found some new motherboards at aliexpress and I am not sure where the bootloader lock is located at.

Thanks for the help!

katayasu

Jul 5, 2020
You can't be sure that you'll get unlocked motherboard, but yeah, if you're lucky you can get unlocked pixel. But I recommend to search for broken pixels and asking sellers about their bootloader status. And after changing your motherboard your Face ID probably won't work, cause it linked to motherboard ID, so you want to change motherboard and front cameraa module together.

hascherpur

Feb 6, 2019
Thanks for the answer! I did not know the modules were linked. Hmm.
So if I buy a new motherboard from aliexpress or whatever, and I then get an additional camera module, those two will not link? Or do they link the initialization process?

katayasu

Jul 5, 2020
Thanks for the answer! I did not know the modules were linked. Hmm.
So if I buy a new motherboard from aliexpress or whatever, and I then get an additional camera module, those two will not link? Or do they link the initialization process?
No they won't link, you need to buy motherboard with camera module included. From another donor phone, for example. Otherwise your Face ID won't work. I wanted to change my motherboard from 64gb to 128gb, but unfortunately there's no motherboard + camera module on Aliexpress. Best option is to search for broken or used Pixels to take parts from, but it'll be a bit pricey or with dead flash memory.

hascherpur

Feb 6, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I was also thinking about upgrading 64gb to 128gb but that now seems like a no-go. But I found a broken display 128gb version and might grab that. Thanks again for the help!