• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Will T-Mobile carry the new Pixels?

Search This thread

thethruth

Apr 16, 2021
Hoping they do, and there are decent trade-in values as well. This OnePlus 9Pro should cover a majority of a P6P 256gb model to make the transition easy. First time Pixel buyer trying to get off the OnePlus train after 4 models.
I'm in the same bout. Il be treating my 9p as well. It was a true disappointment, especially in the batty department

Reactions: 94b20gsr

94b20gsr

Sep 4, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
Stopped by a local store today, they will definitely stock the devices. They estimated the deals (Trade-in or other) would be available to store employees on Thursday evening or Friday morning.

aviatordoc

May 7, 2013
CHA
So buying at Tmobile store, will they add all their spam and crap as opposed to buying unlocked ?

CarinaPDX

Jun 30, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
If you look at the news postings you will find an article on where to get the best deals on the Pixel 6. It has links to T-mobile's site, so I guess it is already up. There are some deals available, with Magenta Max IIRC. It also can be bought from Best Buy (unlocked) and of course Google (free Bose earbuds).

I don't want any phone that doesn't have an unlocked bootloader. While there may be great deals on the 6 from T-mobile I simply wouldn't put up with the crapware that is included, as well as the poor after sale firmware support. It seems to me one of the best reasons for a Pixel is to get regular security and OS updates direct from Google, when first released. It may be that the TM 6 can get security updates direct from Google - I don't know as that has been developing. And there may be a way to unlock the bootloader, which would allow installing a North American unlocked firmware. But if not both then I would buy direct. FWIW I just bought a 5a from Google and am downloading 12 right now.

94b20gsr

Sep 4, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
Ended up buying the black 256GB from Google directly after seeing my OnePlus 9 Pro wasn't even listed on the trade-in deals and even if it was I'm not changing my plan just for that. Not to mention they are only stocking the 128GB.

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
People need to be careful where they're ordering from as there is currently a lot of confusion with the 5g bands for the 6 pro. The google support page shows sub-6 missing but according to the Cnet article below most of the other carriers have confirmed that their version will have all the 5g bands that they'll be selling. I've decided to hold off until t-mobile clarifies what their 6 pro will cover compared to the unlocked version before I pull the trigger.

94b20gsr

Sep 4, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
People need to be careful where they're ordering from as there is currently a lot of confusion with the 5g bands for the 6 pro. The google support page shows sub-6 missing but according to the Cnet article below most of the other carriers have confirmed that their version will have all the 5g bands that they'll be selling. I've decided to hold off until t-mobile clarifies what their 6 pro will cover compared to the unlocked version before I pull the trigger.

This is a non-issue. That page merely omitted the listed of sub-6. Here is a snippet from another Google support page showing what is covered by model. There won't be a new phone like this released without 5G compatibility as it would make no sense, especially given newer modems cover almost all the required bands without any add-on's other than mmWave. Here is the page and shows carrier by carrier compatability:

1634752610067.png

Reactions: galaxys

diesteldorf

Nov 22, 2010
So buying at Tmobile store, will they add all their spam and crap as opposed to buying unlocked ?
Just curious...I've been buying my Pixels directly from Google for convenience, because I always prefer max internal storage and carriers don't always offer those.
This year, I wanted to make sure I got the 512 GB model.

Back in 2014, TMobile was running one of those promos where they offered to buy out your contract if you tried them out. They also had the Nexus 6 available for sale, so I decided to give them a shot.

At the time, the Nexus 6 was in high demand, and Tmobile shipped mine the next day. They also tweeted that their Nexus didn't come with all that carrier bloat, poking fun at AT&T.

From what I remember, my Tmobile Nexus 6 64 GB was identical to ones shipped from Google.

I am a Sprint/Tmobile customer and have considered buying through my carrier to get a better deal, but go through Google to insure it is bootloader unlockable and unbloated.

Question: Does Tmobile add bloat/carrier apps to most of their Android devices?
I was just curious because of their stance on the Nexus 6 in 2014, but, of course that was 7 years ago and things change.

Reactions: galaxys

CarinaPDX

Jun 30, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
The (unlocked) 5a works fine on T-Mobile 5G. It does not support mmWave but that is not very useful for mobile applications anyway (mmWave doesn't have much range and doesn't penetrate walls well). If you are buying a MiFi then you would want mmWave if there is a tower close by. What you are losing is that you won't get the extremely high bandwidth when using the phone as a hotspot, but since there are only a handful of cities with this band available that is more theoretical at this point. BTW I am getting better 5G coverage than 4G LTE in my marina - TM put 5G on a nearby tower that they hadn't been using before. TM 5G is widely available, although not really much faster than 4G LTE.

Even if TM doesn't add bloatware (I'm not sure) it is still locked and probably not going to get the updates as often as the unlocked phone. Google has been working on bypassing the networks and directly upgrading phones but don't know if we are there yet.

Reactions: dl8806

KOLIOSIS

Just curious...I've been buying my Pixels directly from Google for convenience, because I always prefer max internal storage.

I am a Sprint/Tmobile customer and have considered buying through my carrier to get a better deal, but go through Google to insure it is bootloader unlockable and unbloated.

Question: Does Tmobile add bloat/carrier apps to most of their Android devices?
I was just curious because of their stance on the Nexus 6 in 2014, but, of course that was 7 years ago and things change.

As you stated, that was then, when John Legere was just beginning the "Uncarrier" hype. I enjoyed the ride, but, now that the ultimate goal has been achieved (merger/acquisition), T-Mobile has been gradually backsliding, the Uncarrier has one foot out the door.

Count on T-Mobile bloatware being pre-installed & not all of it can be uninstalled &/or disabled.
The T-Mobile system apk for diagnostics can have the permissions denied, but, it's the one apk that can't be disabled, even w/an ADB command, or, app freezer.

If you're wanting to root/ROM, I'd steer clear of the T-Mobile branded Pixel 6/Pro.

If T-Mobile Pixels can be converted to US unlocked models (for development), it's news to me...........

CarinaPDX

Jun 30, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
If T-Mobile Pixels can be converted to US unlocked models (for development), it's news to me...........
I suspect that a TMO 5a or 6xxx can be flashed with the U.S. unlocked firmware, after having been SIM unlocked and then bootloader unlocked. But until someone does it I would consider this a risky proposition, and not worth doing considering that it is easy to buy an unlocked pixel and we know how to root it.

KOLIOSIS

I suspect that a TMO 5a or 6xxx can be flashed with the U.S. unlocked firmware, after having been SIM unlocked and then bootloader unlocked. But until someone does it I would consider this a risky proposition, and not worth doing considering that it is easy to buy an unlocked pixel and we know how to root it.
I hope so. I'm getting the T-Mobile Pixel 6 Pro.
We'll know soon enough, I'll definitely be following this thread & any how-to threads for B/L unlocking.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but, definitely prefer the option to flash unlocked firmware, akin to doing the same w/T-Mobile OnePlus devices........

diesteldorf

Nov 22, 2010
I hope so. I'm getting the T-Mobile Pixel 6 Pro.
We'll know soon enough, I'll definitely be following this thread & any how-to threads for B/L unlocking.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but, definitely prefer the option to flash unlocked firmware, akin to doing the same w/T-Mobile OnePlus devices........

As you stated, that was then, when John Legere was just beginning the "Uncarrier" hype. I enjoyed the ride, but, now that the ultimate goal has been achieved (merger/acquisition), T-Mobile has been gradually backsliding, the Uncarrier has one foot out the door.

Count on T-Mobile bloatware being pre-installed & not all of it can be uninstalled &/or disabled.
The T-Mobile system apk for diagnostics can have the permissions denied, but, it's the one apk that can't be disabled, even w/an ADB command, or, app freezer.

If you're wanting to root/ROM, I'd steer clear of the T-Mobile branded Pixel 6/Pro.

Thanks for posting and confirming what I was already suspecting. 7 years ago, Tmobile was the dark horse that was working to be seen as a legitimate alternative to the big 3. Former Sprint execs have even admitted they didn't consider T-Mobile to be true competition, compared to Verizon and AT&T.

I can't complain too much. I've have some Tmobile stock that has appreciated quite nicely over the years, and the old "uncarrier" initiatives and increased competition forced carriers like Verizon to allow 3rd-pary unlocked devices to run on their network, yet Tmobile Tuesday "gifts" are also not nearly as generous.

Hoping you can clarify something you mentioned earlier. You said Tmobile phones come with a diagnostic app that can't be removed or disabled. Does that mean that you could use the phone on Verizon/AT&T and still have a Tmobile app unable to be uninstalled, potentially collecting data?

I'm assuming if the the bootloader can be unlocked and rooted that any app can be disabled, but, as you stated, having a Tmobile variant no longer guarantees unbranding and bootloader unlockability.

Some people don't differentiate between whether a phone can be sim unlocked (to use on different carriers) or bootloader unlocked (to root or run custom firmware). That's not a huge deal for most people, but it gives me pause if I was buying a device on the secondary market, like Swappa.

The only way for a buyer to be sure they are getting a bootloader unlockable device is to ask the buyer where they purchased it from. To be fair, Androiid is more polished and no loner requires root to copy and paste or take screen shots, but I still like having the extra freedom and control to install my own updates.

In the future, if Tmobile ever gets all variants of the Pixel, including the 512 GB or 1 TB versions, with fantastic trade-in offers, it may make my decision more difficult, but I like being able to buy my devices directly from the manufacturers, especially for warranty situations, and use the carriers specifically for phone service.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hoping they do, and there are decent trade-in values as well. This OnePlus 9Pro should cover a majority of a P6P 256gb model to make the transition easy. First time Pixel buyer trying to get off the OnePlus train after 4 models.
    @diesteldorf

T-Mobile's history of various storage options indicates what you see when a phone is 1st offered is going to remain the best of what you'll see in the future.

The best example of this is T-Mobile's Samsung devices. At best, Samsung will have most/all options available upon release, but, after the pre-order period is over, the highest options go out of stock immediately & odds are, you won't see them arrive more than once or twice before the only options are the entry & mid-level options.

Typically, you're stuck with only the lowest storage option available within the first month after release,.

Apple is the only mfg that stays in-stock for a reasonable amount of time after the pre-order period (w/T-Mobile).

I would not count on any other storage options in the future w/T-Mobile branded Pixel 6 models, especially since Google has the worst track record w/availability, regardless of model, whether carrier unlocked or not.
    Agree, that makes two of us in the same T-Mobile/OnePlus 9 Pro boat!🛥️⛵😎
    I'm in the same bout. Il be treating my 9p as well. It was a true disappointment, especially in the batty department
    Saw the preorder availability on the T-Mobile site. Can't decide if I want to just order unlocked from Google or go thru TMobile. This is the hardest decision! 😭