Will The OnePlus 9 Pro Be A Major Upgrade Over The 8 Pro (Apart From SD 875) ?

Search This thread

SlyUK

May 13, 2015
Particularly in terms of front & back camera(s) performances ?

Also:

- What improvements would you like to see in OxygenOS ?

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
OnePlus 8 Pro
Cameras, screen and battery are the only improvements that can be had, perhaps audio.

Every other box has been ticked.

Storage
Size
Performance
Ram
Aesthetics

Are all perfect

Cameras, battery and audio are also really top notch so I wouldn't expect anything ground breaking.

We're approaching a stage where things can't progress at the rate they once did.

For me I would only make the battery larger but that's just nitpicking.

(See screenshot)

Waterproofing is here as Is superb wireless charging and reverse charging.

In regards to the OS id like to see no features removed, only made optional.

Screen off animations, OS size changes, static icon alterations like the status bar clock and signal icons, they should be fully themeable, which you can see from the screen shot I've already changed on mine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201101-164244.jpg
    Screenshot_20201101-164244.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 125

Philip

• Sep 19, 2004
    Hampshire, UK
    I think that Samsung have moved the game on by producing a folding handset, and that everybody else will eventually need to move into that space if they want to keep selling phones.

Sure it's still going through some teething issues (and the app market hasn't caught up yet), and I can't imagine that the 9 Pro will be folding, but I'd expect that the 10 Pro or 11 Pro will be.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
    Liverpool
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    I think that Samsung have moved the game on by producing a folding handset, and that everybody else will eventually need to move into that space if they want to keep selling phones.

Sure it's still going through some teething issues (and the app market hasn't caught up yet), and I can't imagine that the 9 Pro will be folding, but I'd expect that the 10 Pro or 11 Pro will be.

I wouldn't buy a folding phone again.

The startac was the last good folding phone.

Folds are a phase, an expensive one.

Philip

• Sep 19, 2004
    Hampshire, UK
    Folds are a phase, an expensive one.
    Folding screens are a whole different ballgame to the antediluvian technology that was the Startac.

Who wouldn't want a phone that folds down to half (or less) of its normal use size when you put it in your pocket, especially as the screens get thinner and lighter, and the software evolves to make use of the form factor.

The technology still has a little way to go, but in the not-too-distant future all handsets will have foldable screens.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
    Liverpool
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Folding screens are a whole different ballgame to the antediluvian technology that was the Startac.

Who wouldn't want a phone that folds down to half (or less) of its normal use size when you put it in your pocket, especially as the screens get thinner and lighter, and the software evolves to make use of the form factor.

The technology still has a little way to go, but in the not-too-distant future all handsets will have foldable screens.

No dude, I know.

Point I'm trying to make is, every person who had an ounce of taste had a startac.

Only people who'll buy a folding device are people who don't know their phones or someone who blindly buys the latest gadgets.

The processors in those phones are pants as are the batteries, look at the Motorola flip?

The technology is a non starter.

I'll never change my mind on that, if they sell as much as the startac did then I'll admit I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

luckysoul777

Mar 6, 2015
    ...... Are all perfect

I am changing the subject on you. I should have created a new thread, but I am not sure if you would see it in that case.

After waiting a month, I still haven't received my OnePlus 8 Pro. Do *NOT* ever buy anything from Bludiode.com. It is a scam. These guys claim Covid-19 is delaying the clearance of my payment. A virus can slow down electronic payment for a month?! I already called my credit card company to dispute it and got my money back. Since they do charge a 2 . 9% service charge to use a credit card, I assume those who do a bank transfer from their checking account to avoid this charge are their real victims. Anyway, I digress.

Since I don't have a OnePlus 8 Pro in my hand yet, I have a new concern before I buy it again. Does it have a boot-up (NOT lockscreen) password? I just learned that through a custom recovery like TWRP, one can always delete the locksettings.db and/or other similar files to erase the lockscreen password. Further, since TWRP has a built-in file manager, even if an attacker doesn't reboot to system, he can simply browse in TWRP.

TWRP doesn't officially support a password, and I can understand why because it's futile. An attacker can simply flash a fresh TWRP through download mode anyway to wipe out the existing password.

The only way to prevent an attacker from stealing my private info is to
    1. encrypt the internal memory, or
    2. unroot the phone and lock the bootloader so that a custom recovery cannot be installed, or
    3. the device has a boot-up password.

Neither #1 or 2 would work for me. That leaves only #3.

Can you please confirm if OnePlus 8 Pro supports boot-up password?

By the way, if the upcoming upgrades in the 9 Pro would be marginal, I may just wait till the 9 Pro comes out and then buy the 8 Pro on the cheap. ;) What time of the year does OnePlus usually release a new phone?

Thank you

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
    Liverpool
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    I am changing the subject on you. I should have created a new thread, but I am not sure if you would see it in that case.

After waiting a month, I still haven't received my OnePlus 8 Pro. Do *NOT* ever buy anything from Bludiode.com. It is a scam. These guys claim Covid-19 is delaying the clearance of my payment. A virus can slow down electronic payment for a month?! I already called my credit card company to dispute it and got my money back. Since they do charge a 2 . 9% service charge to use a credit card, I assume those who do a bank transfer from their checking account to avoid this charge are their real victims. Anyway, I digress.

Since I don't have a OnePlus 8 Pro in my hand yet, I have a new concern before I buy it again. Does it have a boot-up (NOT lockscreen) password? I just learned that through a custom recovery like TWRP, one can always delete the locksettings.db and/or other similar files to erase the lockscreen password. Further, since TWRP has a built-in file manager, even if an attacker doesn't reboot to system, he can simply browse in TWRP.

TWRP doesn't officially support a password, and I can understand why because it's futile. An attacker can simply flash a fresh TWRP through download mode anyway to wipe out the existing password.

The only way to prevent an attacker from stealing my private info is to
    1. encrypt the internal memory, or
    2. unroot the phone and lock the bootloader so that a custom recovery cannot be installed, or
    3. the device has a boot-up password.

Neither #1 or 2 would work for me. That leaves only #3.

Can you please confirm if OnePlus 8 Pro supports boot-up password?

By the way, if the upcoming upgrades in the 9 Pro would be marginal, I may just wait till the 9 Pro comes out and then buy the 8 Pro on the cheap. ;) What time of the year does OnePlus usually release a new phone?

Thank you

You'd need the password to obtain data access to that part of the system, as in it has to decrypt.

They just released the 8T so in six months the 9 will be out.

That sucks about that place.
    Did you get your money back??

kazlow

Mar 9, 2008
    after owning 4 op phones in between other flagships from other companies just for the love of op this op8 pro will be the last i buy from op. even cyanogen dint have this kinda bugs back in the day lol. if this is what they call a stable os moving forward. they are now more concerned about pushing mid range phones to get a slice of the market share that what people came to love about them like software smoothness is just purely ****. like the word **** is being nice at this point. i hope things change moving forward but this isnt going well for them at all