• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Will there be a Custom Rom?

Search This thread

Hlcpereira

Recognized Developer
Greetings from Germany! :)

Is there any progress on your project? I have a Xiaomi Note 10 myself and would love to run LineageOS on it. Hopefully this camera issue can be resolved, crossing my fingers.

An update from you would be very kind and appreciated.

Many thanks
Well not actually a progress related with it, just a note that all the back cams are actually dead. The only thing that progressed was that IR is fixed now. I tried to build today, but something happened in the build process while the recovery was being generated (which is a default thing on Android, despite the fact that prebuilt recovery isn't a thing for us), so looking on it right now to look to get a (yet another) test build done.

Reactions: theekilla
Aug 22, 2020
You could use LOS treble meanwhile

Actually, one of the main advantages of LineageOS for me is to finally get rid of all the Chinese software and replace it with a trustworthy operating system. Treble is a nice idea but nothing beats a real build.

Well not actually a progress related with it, just a note that all the back cams are actually dead. The only thing that progressed was that IR is fixed now. I tried to build today, but something happened in the build process while the recovery was being generated (which is a default thing on Android, despite the fact that prebuilt recovery isn't a thing for us), so looking on it right now to look to get a (yet another) test build done.

I would actually be completely fine with just the main camera working. Let's call ultra-wide, macro, tele and all these (inferior) cams optional goals, shall we? The main camera has a great sensor, one of the best you can buy on today's market. It's bigger than any compact camera back around 2010! It also has a typical wide-angle focal length, which means you can get through your everyday smartphone life with it just fine. With the goal of becoming the official LineageOS build for the Xiaomi Mi Note 10 in mind, I'd say they'd accept the build with "just" this amazing main camera working.

It would be amazing for this device to be officially supported once it's running.

Thank you for your status update and your hard work! :)

Reactions: alex99aon

imoaix

Apr 3, 2019

Please remove the lineage recovery so we can use a custom one

Hlcpereira

Recognized Developer
Please remove the lineage recovery so we can use a custom one
Well it won't override or anything the current recovery, it's just an auto build think. It would if I modified some stuff to get the recovery override the current one, which is not the case as I said previously.

Sent from my MI 8 using XDA Labs

Aug 22, 2020
I think Lineage Recovery is the right way to go, because it establishes trust through openness. As far as I know, TWRP is not FOSS (free and open source software). There is no source code and therefore we don't really know what it does to your smartphone. You have to choose to trust it or not.

Instead, it makes sense to deliver a build together with a recovery image built directly from source code. That way, both the image and the recovery are trustworthy. If the user wishes to use something else, he can install it after the initial installation. And using no recovery at all is a bad choice for newbies who try to install a custom rom for the first time.

We cannot sacrifice usability for flexibility, otherwise people will stop using LineageOS and buy Apple products (or pre-installed Android phones) instead. Locked bootloaders are bad enough for the community! We need more people using free software. I think going with Lineage Recovery is a way to make sure everyone can install it safely.

Last edited:
Reactions: alex99aon

ndzaky

Nov 5, 2013
Yogyakarta
Why are people so impatient ? Building ROM isn't that easy. Would you mind to give him time and space ? If you guys want fast then try to build your own ROM. Guess those impatient people can't even make our device boots lol

Hlcpereira

Recognized Developer
people see that time advances and we don't have any ROM aosp ... in a short time, the mi note 11 will be released. Come on Henríque ...

Well I have personal life too, and mainly It's my priority. Ik why people are impatient, however my personal life comes first. BTW all my stuff is open over my github. Feel free to build yourselves.

Aug 22, 2020
I just realized that you're 19 - wow, I can totally understand that you want to enjoy life.

Please do not feel discouraged by reading those comments. I personally would love a working build, but not at the expense of your personal life. Maybe you can try again in a few days and give us a status update, or maybe one of the readers wants to become your co-maintainer for the build. In any way, having two maintainers is always the better solution.

With no obligation to "deliver" something to us because of that, but to acknowledge your hard trying of solving the problem in the past, I just tipped you 10 EUR (62,88 BRL) to your PayPal. Programmers aren't slaves, they're people. If I had the knowledge I would help with the project, but instead, I want to donate to do my part instead of nagging.

Have a nice day :)

Hlcpereira

Recognized Developer
I just realized that you're 19 - wow, I can totally understand that you want to enjoy life.

Please do not feel discouraged by reading those comments. I personally would love a working build, but not at the expense of your personal life. Maybe you can try again in a few days and give us a status update, or maybe one of the readers wants to become your co-maintainer for the build. In any way, having two maintainers is always the better solution.

With no obligation to "deliver" something to us because of that, but to acknowledge your hard trying of solving the problem in the past, I just tipped you 10 EUR (62,88 BRL) to your PayPal. Programmers aren't slaves, they're people. If I had the knowledge I would help with the project, but instead, I want to donate to do my part instead of nagging.

Have a nice day :)

It's not actually just about enjoying my life, but I do have stuff over my personal life that I need to pay more attention for at the moment, like collage with a bunch of homeworks to deliver until the end of this week, and the work I just got recently. Leaving that aside, I really appreciate the donation, and glad to see that some people do get my point and my situation for now.

TehEks

May 12, 2020
I've been trying (on and off) to build this for a while, but haven't had a build finish yet.
Anyone willing to share a working manifest/roomservice to get me going?
Any other tricks I need to know?
I can't get going from scratch but can probably help with bugfixes once something is booting. I'm about to pull the trigger on the next phone and tucana could be it if I can get a half decent ROM that I can help with :)

alibei

Jan 1, 2017
Deggendorf
To compile it i used the following repos:

Common device tree
https://github.com/Hlcpereira/android_device_xiaomi_sm6150-common
Tucana device tree
https://github.com/Hlcpereira/device_xiaomi_tucana
Kernel
https://github.com/Hlcpereira/android_kernel_xiaomi_sm6150
Hardware Xiaomi tree
https://github.com/LineageOS/android_hardware_xiaomi

The common vendor files i extracted from
miui_DAVINCI_20.8.3_07fcb95bf7_10.0 and the tucana vendor blobs from miui_TUCANA_20.8.3_52523a3eef_10.0
Or you use https://gitlab.com/Hlcpereira/proprietary_vendor_xiaomi

Last edited:

imoaix

Apr 3, 2019
It's not actually just about enjoying my life, but I do have stuff over my personal life that I need to pay more attention for at the moment, like collage with a bunch of homeworks to deliver until the end of this week, and the work I just got recently. Leaving that aside, I really appreciate the donation, and glad to see that some people do get my point and my situation for now.

you could launch even an alpha version to test it

Squida

Dec 20, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 5s
Xiaomi Mi Note 10
To compile it i used the following repos:

Common device tree
https://github.com/Hlcpereira/android_device_xiaomi_sm6150-common
Tucana device tree
https://github.com/Hlcpereira/device_xiaomi_tucana
Kernel
https://github.com/Hlcpereira/android_kernel_xiaomi_sm6150
Hardware Xiaomi tree
https://github.com/LineageOS/android_hardware_xiaomi

The common vendor files i extracted from
miui_DAVINCI_20.8.3_07fcb95bf7_10.0 and the tucana vendor blobs from miui_TUCANA_20.8.3_52523a3eef_10.0
Or you use https://gitlab.com/Hlcpereira/proprietary_vendor_xiaomi

Thank you for linking that, I myself just got this phone a week ago but I have the Note 10 Pro Variant I also am trying to make a custom Rom from scratch and from what I understand we need the extract-files.sh script to extract the proprietary binaries from the phone. I am struggling to find the script, to run it. I read that it's located in android platform-tools but I still have not found it. if anyone can enlighten me on to what I am missing or where I can get it, I may be able to get a build working. I am not using Lineage or other 3rd party Rom, that is why I also need the files.

I have been at this for 3 days straight trying to get the files required.

Things I have discovered that may help others.

On MiCode Git (https://github.com/MiCode/Xiaomi_Kernel_OpenSource/tree/tucana-p-oss), there is files in the kernel open source of tucana that says "Goldfish" which is also present in the repo manifest, might be the one we need to use instead of aosp_arm64

Please understand I am new to this whole Custom rom stuff, so correct me or inform me on the missing links please.

But yeah, finding the extract-files.sh will help tremendously.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, a bit of updates, mainly because I do feel that you guys deserve.

First one: I'm going to temporary close the crowdfunding. "Why? The goal wasn't reached yet neither is being one and a half month" I know, yet @Genomey could found a cheap Mi Note 10 on eBay and got it for about 252 USD. I'm going to wait for him get the device on his end and check and if everything is ok I'll send the money to him while he send me the device. "What will happen with the remaining amount?" 63.74 USD (or 347.01 BRL) are from me, I already had it or got it by my own in the meanwhile.

The total amount donated was of 267.22 USD. (1454.61 BRL).

Second is: In the meanwhile me and @0201m were working on the device sources and testing (huge shout out for him for helping in testing and troubleshooting) and so far: Kernel boots, everything builds, but yet depending of which blobs/vendor binaries you use the device reboots to recovery. Also when we managed to make it boot, the display service was dead (which means it's stuck on the Mi logo while the system already booted) XD (Not joking at all, me and him almost lost our minds cause of that ;_; ). At least the vibrator is confirmed to be working. So far that's the progress.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-note-10/how-to/custom-development-t4018813

In short:there are same some efforts trying to get custom Roms but nothing groundbreaking yet.
    I am working on the device tree right now to compile from source. Not ready yet and don't have the device in hand right now (should arrive soon) s.o. else is trying with treble images.
    Any progress with the ROM? ... looking forward to trying at least one beta

Still trying to figure out about the main cam sensor. Took those days off due the fact I am a student after all and had a bunch of works from collage to do. As I said to another people: until I get, at least, the main cam working from the not working list (which also includes NFC and proximity sensor), I won't do a public release and that's final. All the other camera sensors are being registered properly FYI.
    @Hlcpereira How's the progress btw ?
    Well. I got the device already, unlocked it too. Main camera, IR and NFC are dead at the moment. Rest is working

Sent from my MI 8 using XDA Labs
    Update of the situation (again): About the custom ROM start up progress: As it seems to be clear a lead was taken on what's wrong about the display (finally and kudos for @alibei for sharing his finds) things should start go more smoothly. I'm rebasing the sources and double checking everything ATM. And about the device that @Genomey found on eBay, well that didn't go well... He then sent 200 USD to covering up money for me buying a tucana here at Brazil, and so do it, I did start looking already for a device in here since then. I should be be buying definately around this week (that's my hopes at least)