Question Will we ever see dual-SIM enabled on the NA model?

Search This thread

fifasax

Mar 28, 2021
It might need some time. I read from other post that oneplus 8 pro took a year before a low that feature. now oneplus 9 pro only have one sim tray so it might talk even a longer time for them to release that feature. I am more depending on the people who know how to customize the rom and add feature . So just stay tune at different forums.

pavankp

Aug 16, 2007
We can finally order dual-SIM trays via eBay as of today. What are the odds of being able to enable that second slot?
That's great news. I returned by OP9P NA variant, but don't have a global variant yet. Shouldn't it just work with the NA variant if we flash a global ROM on the same device? It looks like it has pins on both sides.

fifasax

Mar 28, 2021
That's great news. I returned by OP9P NA variant, but don't have a global variant yet. Shouldn't it just work with the NA variant if we flash a global ROM on the same device? It looks like it has pins on both sides.
Not that simple I think. I already flash to EU tom but it does not second sim in the settings. I think it might need wire flash of all components including baseband

Reactions: pavankp

pavankp

Aug 16, 2007
Not that simple I think. I already flash to EU tom but it does not second sim in the settings. I think it might need wire flash of all components including baseband
Oh no. Does OnePlus publish those components, or are we out of luck until someone figures out a way to get them? The EU variant I have on order doesn't support one AT&T LTE band, so would much rather use an NA variant with dual SIM enabled.

If the EU variant shows up at my door before someone figures out how to make dual SIM work on the NA variant, then I will just use it even with the missing LTE band.

carbondog

Oh no. Does OnePlus publish those components, or are we out of luck until someone figures out a way to get them? The EU variant I have on order doesn't support one AT&T LTE band, so would much rather use an NA variant with dual SIM enabled.

If the EU variant shows up at my door before someone figures out how to make dual SIM work on the NA variant, then I will just use it even with the missing LTE band.
I saw one guy on Reddit complaining of the same situation we're in- ordered the phone when it said dual-SIM and trying to return it afterward.

He claims OP customer service said dual-SIM would be enabled via update in the future. While I hope that's true, it's the first and only time I saw that said anywhere. Could've just been said to try and avoid return. Even if it does happen, it'd probably be a ways off.

pavankp

Aug 16, 2007
I saw one guy on Reddit complaining of the same situation we're in- ordered the phone when it said dual-SIM and trying to return it afterward.

He claims OP customer service said dual-SIM would be enabled via update in the future. While I hope that's true, it's the first and only time I saw that said anywhere. Could've just been said to try and avoid return. Even if it does happen, it'd probably be a ways off.
I chatted with OnePlus customer service two different times. Both agents tried to talk me out of wanting Dual SIM, but were very clear that it is single slot only for the US. One even cited spouted some bull**** about doing that to optimize 5G performance on US networks.

fifasax

Mar 28, 2021

I guess we have to wait to see if anyone can figure out how. At least, just upgrade to a newer version of EU tom does not work. Not sure if you for flash everything and reset from adb is the same

josephlim75

Apr 24, 2018
Will it work if i have a Dual Sim Oneplus 9 from Malaysia, install NA rom to open more BANDS ? The malaysia OnePlus 9 has the same 5G bands as in UK, but lack of some US 5G bands like n71. All CN variant do not have B13 band, therefore, not supporting Verizon LTE nicely. All ebay sellers who claimed dual sim with 12GB RAM and 256GB storage are mostly CN variant. I'm better off with EU/UK or MY. Hong Kong spec is the same as USA with dual sim. If anyone wants a dual sim and want mostly all US bands supported, Hong Kong Oneplus seems to be the right fit. Only if we can get it from HK :(

MY Spec

HK Spec

Last edited:

flaxjef

Apr 16, 2008
Mine came with dual sim out of the box and is working perfectly.
I really like how I don't have carry around 2 phones anymore.

Ops400

Jul 12, 2014
I was very disappointed that the US version didn't come with a dual sim. I ordered mine at launch, when their website said that it had it.. Anyway, I finally figured out an acceptable replacement option for mine. I did have 1 sim for my personal number and a second sim for my work number (worked great on my OP 6T for a couple of years now). After playing around with things, I finally ended up porting my work number over to Google Voice (1 x $20 fee) and installed the Google Voice app on my phone. Now I essentially have 2 #'s on one phone, just like having a second SIM, but no cost to my carrier. I can receive calls and txt's for the # I ported to GV. Wasn't quite the solution I was hoping for, but now I no longer pay for that line.

josephlim75

Apr 24, 2018
Do you have the US version?
I don't think is a US variant. As far as US Variant is concern, is single SIM. Anyone that is using Dual sim could be CN or EU/UK Variant. If it is indeed a US variant, then I'm interested to know where the source to get it then :). Those variants have fewer 5G sub-bands compared to the US except HK. I just hope that Oneplus has the hardware embedded and is just a matter of software activation. Samsung Note20 new firmware patch also opens up their eSIM support.

I was very disappointed that the US version didn't come with a dual sim. I ordered mine at launch, when their website said that it had it.. Anyway, I finally figured out an acceptable replacement option for mine. I did have 1 sim for my personal number and a second sim for my work number (worked great on my OP 6T for a couple of years now). After playing around with things, I finally ended up porting my work number over to Google Voice (1 x $20 fee) and installed the Google Voice app on my phone. Now I essentially have 2 #'s on one phone, just like having a second SIM, but no cost to my carrier. I can receive calls and txt's for the # I ported to GV. Wasn't quite the solution I was hoping for, but now I no longer pay for that line.
You do know they make an app called second line right? So you don't need to pay for 2 plans

Top Liked Posts