• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Will you be unlocking BL/Rooting

Will you be unlocking BL/Rooting your Pixel 6?

• Total voters
Search This thread

pyry666

Dec 27, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
Do I understand it correctly, that you didn't have to mess with this "Dm-verity" or "Vbmeta verification" in any way?

You just

1. Enabled Developer Options
2. Enabled OEM Unlocking
3. Booted into FastBoot Mode (is it still long press power button + volume down?)
4. Installed latest ADB & Fastboot on your PC (optional if you have it already)
5. Opened CMD Administrator in the ADB directionary
6. Used "fastboot flashing unlock"

Correct?

I'm a bit confused about this dm verity and vbmeta. Does that mean that the phone will reset itself again, once I try to actually root it? Or is that a special case scenario that only applies when someone upgrades from Android 11 to Android 12?
Actually disabling dm verity from vbmeta doesnt wipe anything. I am OnePlus 9p use with rooted ob1 running a12. Dont know what the situation is in the future though

sidhaarthm

Mar 1, 2009
London, U.K.
Do I understand it correctly, that you didn't have to mess with this "Dm-verity" or "Vbmeta verification" in any way?

You just

1. Enabled Developer Options
2. Enabled OEM Unlocking
3. Booted into FastBoot Mode (is it still long press power button + volume down?)
4. Installed latest ADB & Fastboot on your PC (optional if you have it already)
5. Opened CMD Administrator in the ADB directionary
6. Used "fastboot flashing unlock"

Correct?

I'm a bit confused about this dm verity and vbmeta. Does that mean that the phone will reset itself again, once I try to actually root it? Or is that a special case scenario that only applies when someone upgrades from Android 11 to Android 12?
That's correct, no messing about with those. The steps you listed are correct, I just go from windows adb directly into bootloader by using 'adb reboot-bootloader' command.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT
can you confirm Safety Net is still intact after unlocking?
On a completely stock unrooted ROM....no. Hardware attestation is part of the CTS profile check, and an unlocked bootloader will trip hardware attestation.

You can fix it using MagiskHIde + Universal SafetyNet Fix, but you need root in order to use those.

I'd recommend that if you depend on Safetynet passing, don't unlock your device until the firmware is released.

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL
On a completely stock unrooted ROM....no. Hardware attestation is part of the CTS profile check, and an unlocked bootloader will trip hardware attestation.

You can fix it using MagiskHIde + Universal SafetyNet Fix, but you need root in order to use those.

I'd recommend that if you depend on Safetynet passing, don't unlock your device until the firmware is released.

a while back I recall reading that once you unlock the bootloader on the Pixel 4 series that even if you wipe and flash the stock image that the device no longer sees it as clean and would fail SafetyNet because it no longer passed hardware attestation. was this true and is it still true?

a while back I recall reading that once you unlock the bootloader on the Pixel 4 series that even if you wipe and flash the stock image that the device no longer sees it as clean and would fail SafetyNet because it no longer passed hardware attestation. was this true and is it still true?
Yes - this is true on all Pixel devices (and many others). There's several components at play here:
* Hardware Attestation uses signed keys to verify boot integrity. An unlocked bootloader will fail this because boot integrity can obviously not be verified due to the possibility of a patched or custom boot image.
* CTS, or Compatibility Test Suite, is used to ensure that the application you want to run is compatible with your device. Hardware attestation is used for this, so unlocked bootloader > failed hardware attestation > failed CTS.
* The SafetyNet Attestation is used by Google Play Services to report the hardware and software state of the device. CTS is used by this to determine the hardware state, especially hardware security. Therefore, unlocked bootload > failed hardware attestation > failed CTS > failed SafetyNet.

Most app developers are only concerned with hardware and software compatibility; the security state of the device doesn't matter to them. However, some developers want a secure environment, which is why they use the SafetyNet API to ensure their software will only run on a device that is reported as secure.

There are also some apps that specifically look for root. MagiskHide (now DenyList) blocks this.

Magisk modules such as Universal SafetyNet Fix can be used to force a SafetyNet pass, but since Magisk needs root in order to work, there's no way to force SafetyNet pass on a locked bootloader.

Bottom line: if you need SafetyNet to pass, keep your bootloader locked until root is available - which should be as soon as the firmware is released. I doubt Google would want to invest a lot of time and money into developing a completely new structure for Android on the Pixel 6, so I imagine that Magisk as we know it will work for root. There are some unknowns, obviously - like the Titan M2 chip and the private core - as well as existing problems that we have already discovered on previous generations of Pixel, namely the data corruption issue when disabling verity and verification on the Pixel 4a, 5, and 5a.

sean222

be careful, I heard that this version released is actually older than what's on devices?
This is the same version as what's on your Pixel 6 Pro when it came in the box, so not a big deal to me. Root and restoring my backups are more important. I will run this version until the next factory image drops next month, and the month after, for the next 5 years :p :p

plasticarmyman

Apr 13, 2011
Long Beach
So i'm just judging from the other devices out there that are on Android 12 already.

I don't think this is going to be our typical Flash TWRP, boot into Recovery, Flash ROM type situation.

Honestly, with the Tensor chip we don't know much yet right?

like I said, i'm just judging from the other devices on A12 already...I know when my OP 7 Pro went to 11 it got all screwy but i'm looking at the other A12 phone forums and not many of them have a TWRP or other recovery that is official or anything

By the way....Those of you who took the OTA: You should be able to boot the patched .015 image:
Code:
fastboot boot magisk_patched-23011_xxxxx.img
Then use Direct Install in Magisk to patch the .036 boot image.

Just make sure you use the same version of Magisk, because the Magisk signature has to match for root to work.

Sep 27, 2010
Ridiculous question. For an unlocked device being used on Verizon, if I don't unlock the bootloader and I take OTAs, which firmware will I be receiving, the unlocked version (directly from Google) or the Verizon specific? Following from that, if Verizon specific, is there any risk that I subsequently might not be able to unlock the bootloader?

This is the first device since my old HTC Evo that I'm considering NOT rooting but I definitely don't want to risk losing the ability to do so later should I change my mind. Normally I'd just say I'd unlock the bootloader, but it also appears that doing that without rooting / all the current work happening on other threads, that I'd lose various banking apps etc. My phone is scheduled to arrive the first so decision time is approaching. Thanks!

ausch30

Feb 19, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Ridiculous question. For an unlocked device being used on Verizon, if I don't unlock the bootloader and I take OTAs, which firmware will I be receiving, the unlocked version (directly from Google) or the Verizon specific? Following from that, if Verizon specific, is there any risk that I subsequently might not be able to unlock the bootloader?

This is the first device since my old HTC Evo that I'm considering NOT rooting but I definitely don't want to risk losing the ability to do so later should I change my mind. Normally I'd just say I'd unlock the bootloader, but it also appears that doing that without rooting / all the current work happening on other threads, that I'd lose various banking apps etc. My phone is scheduled to arrive the first so decision time is approaching. Thanks!
Didn't root the Evo? That was my first Android phone and the first one I rooted. I believe the only difference in the OTA's is the radio, the OS is the same. And yes you will still be able to unlock the bootloader after taking the OTA on a device purchased from the Google store.

Last edited:
Reactions: JasonVaritekMVP

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor

The firmware doesn't determine whether it's an unlocked model or not. Your phone is unlocked, period.

Reactions: JasonVaritekMVP
Sep 27, 2010
Didn't root the Evo? That was my first Android phone and the first one I rooted. I believe the only difference in the OTA's is the radio, the OS is the same. And yes you will still be able to unlock the bootloader after taking the OTA on a device purchased from the Google store.

Thanks for the response. And wow, long day. Definitely implied that but no, I abused the hell out of root on that Evo.

The firmware doesn't determine whether it's an unlocked model or not. Your phone is unlocked, period.
Incorrect.

The ability to enable OEM Unlocking is determined by ro.oem_unlock_supported, which is set at firmware build time. If this is 0, get_unlock_ability cannot be changed from 0 (this corresponds to the OEM Unlocking toggle).

If ro.oem_unlock_supported is set to 1, then get_unlock_ability can be changed to 1 (OEM unlocking toggle is enabled).

As long as get_unlock_ability is 0, the device will reject fastboot flashing unlock.

Android Source - Bootloader Lock

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
That was a bit of a mini-necro, been almost a month. :D I believe you've misinterpreted my reply to the other user's question, or you misinterpreted their question. My point was the someone who owns the factory SIM unlocked P6P using it on Verizon and either gets the Verizon build OTA or flashes the Verizon firmware won't make their P6P unlockable. Hence, the firmware wouldn't determine whether they could bootloader unlock their P6P.

That was a bit of a mini-necro, been almost a month. :D I believe you've misinterpreted my reply to the other user's question, or you misinterpreted their question. My point was the someone who owns the factory SIM unlocked P6P using it on Verizon and either gets the Verizon build OTA or flashes the Verizon firmware won't make their P6P unlockable. Hence, the firmware wouldn't determine whether they could bootloader unlock their P6P.
Is the Verizon firmware exactly the same between Verizon locked and Google unlocked devices?
It's entirely possible (and likely) that it's hard coded into the bootloader as well.

If your bootloader is already unlocked, "locked" firmware won't relock it; you'd have to give the fastboot flashing lock command in fastboot, at which point unlocking it again wouldn't be possible. It's a multi layered scheme.

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
If your bootloader is already unlocked, "locked" firmware won't relock it; you'd have to give the fastboot flashing lock command in fastboot, at which point unlocking it again wouldn't be possible

If you are saying flashing the VZ version or taking a VZ OTA on a Google unlocked phone will prevent you from unlocking the phone, that is incorrect. That isn't the case now, and has never been the case on the previous Pixels. The only difference in the image is the modem. In the next month or two you will see the different versions merge into one. These temporary splits in versions are common. Look at the factory image versions for the Pixel 5 and you will see this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I realize this is common; however, I just looked at the build number on my wife's old VZW Pixel 3, and the build number is identical to the latest public version available on Google's site. So it does not appear that Verizon is using private firmware. Bootloader version is the same, too. So if those components are the same, what else would prevent bootloader unlock?
    I think Verizon encrypts the bootloader, preventing it from being able to be unlocked. They actually may have Google do the encrypting for them. So you can have the same bootloader versions, but the ones on the Verizon models have been encrypted to prevent unlocking the bootloader.

At least that is the way I understand it.
    Bootloader successfully unlocked. I will just run everything stock for now - this is just so I don't have to wipe the device later after I have completed full setup and transferred all my data.

1635253206777.png
    BL unlocked and root before opening the box.

Under no circumstances I will own a phone (or a computer, for the shake of it) that sends any data to servers of Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Amazon and the likes.

Cloud is just the marketing shiite to refer to someone else's computer.

Therefore I need root to remove all the crap, to do backups against my own computers, to have a proper firewall that blocks domains and IPs of unwanted servers, and so on.
    On this topic, any idea if we'll be able to root and unlock the bootloader since it'll be the new tensor chip? I'm asking because on Samsung devices I remember being able to unlock only the Exynos and not Snapdragon, and I may be asking something silly here. Thanks!
    If it can be unlocked/rooted, then I plan to buy. If not, I'll have to reconsider. I realize nowadays there's smaller need to flash, but it's kinda a hobby of mine and I like being able to tinker with my device(y)
    Rooting is part of the unpacking process. Before root the device is not truly yours, you just have a guest account on the device.
    Root ofc, but who would need custom ROMs on a Pixel with 5 years of software updates? :D