• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Will you be unlocking BL/Rooting

Will you be unlocking BL/Rooting your Pixel 6?

• Total voters
Search This thread

diesteldorf

Nov 22, 2010
99% of the reason I root is to have the flexibility to install updates myself, or disable them if I don't want it. I also have a plethora of old apps that I still use that are not available on the Play store, and I prefer to transfer my data and pictures manually to make sure nothing is missed.

Being able to utilize TITANIUM OR the newer SWIFT BACKUP makes it easier to transfer may apps and maintain the data and settings.

However, Magisk is not as reliable for hiding root and I like to utilize Contactless payment and other important apps.

With that said, has anyone successfully unlocked or relocked their bootloader without losing the internal storage?

I know it is a security feature, but I found this link:

https://c.mi.com/oc/thread-3285457-1-0.html?mobile=no

Has anyone tried any of these methods to lock or unlock without losing internal data? One of the great things about Pixel phones is that the system software is readily available in case the phone gets bricked?

I also like to root to utilize tethering, but have been having issues getting this to work on Android 11.

Has anyone ever tried to root, load a Magisk module, and then lock the bootloader, or is that a recipe for disaster?

I figure as long as my computer can still recognize the phone, I can always restore anything I do to it.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
They blocked root on the TVs at the bequest of content holders (think piracy) which is somewhat self-serving as they are increasingly entering that area themselves.

It doesn't matter who asked them to do it, or why. It only matters that they DID, and that doing so is unjustified and unjustifiable.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Others disagree and found it fully justifiable. They use the word billion a lot more than you or I and things tend to go their way.

You have not had root on these phones for any other reason than it suits their purpose. They had nothing to gain with allowing root on the TVs and giving it would have been unpopular with their partners; those partners being people who say the word billion a lot more than you and buy 10k a plate dinners at political fundraisers.

I love root but it's a dead man walking.

diesteldorf

Nov 22, 2010
I always thought allowing root access on phones made sense for app developers that may need it, but I would think the companies that manufacture the TVs have other options to allow their developers to create software.

I know the Shield TV is not the same as rooting a TV directly, but it may provide an option to someone that really needs or wants root access on a TV.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
I always thought allowing root access on phones made sense for app developers that may need it, but I would think the companies that manufacture the TVs have other options to allow their developers to create software.

I know the Shield TV is not the same as rooting a TV directly, but it may provide an option to someone that really needs or wants root access on a TV.

Not talking about "tv manufacturers". Talking about Google's own ATV dongle; https://store.google.com/ca/config/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-GB

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Oh no, root access is needed for some development, engineering purposes, etc. You and I are a different story. These phones do not allow OEM unlock without an internet connection. The reason for that is the phone is, well, phoning home. This is the method by which Verizon Pixels cannot be OEM unlocked where others can be, the phone identifies itself in that transaction and OEM unlock will be allowed, or not. It's a trivial endeavor to allow for some but deny it to others. You can test this yourself on any phone that is locked and has OEM unlock as an available option in developers, and can actually be unlocked, such as a pixel. Deny that phone data and the switch is unavailable. Give it data and now you can slide it, it's been a thing for years.

I agree with the fellow that quoted me, I'm old, I grew up actually owning my stuff. Now corporate interests keep me from blocking updates I don't want on windows, are trying to force control of my own phone away from me, a car I was thinking of buying requires a subscription to use Android auto, it's getting ridiculous. I was only answering the why, I don't like the why myself. We don't have root because they're being nice to us, we have it because it serves their purpose. The second that ends it's gone.

mkhcb

Nov 2, 2012
People are frustrated with the prolonged delivery date (aka early Nov date). I say, give others a head start to figure out the bootloader unlocking, so then a guide can be posted before our devices comes. I would love to unlock the BL right out of the box. I would hate to setup the phone, just to erase it all with a BL unlock. Even if I don't plan on flashing a ROM, I rather have the BL unlocked since day 1 to not have to erase my internal storage, the day of tomorrow. Plus I use lots of root programs on my OP5T.

plasticarmyman

Apr 13, 2011
Long Beach
I'm very curious about Magisk and rooting with this phone, since it is the Tensor processor I imagine it's going to be a bit different to root and ROM

dnsmo

Apr 19, 2010
Chicago
I owned p3xl for years and I am waiting for my Pixel 6 Pro to come next week. (they said Oct 26 - 27) I will unlocked the bootloader and then set it up. Hoping it can be rooted and the same reason like most of you, just using adaway. but if magisk can't hide itself then no bank apps, I will not root then.

Reactions: galaxys

foobar66

Jan 8, 2011
Brussels
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I mainly root now adays for adblock, is there a way to adblock without root?
Yes, use a private DNS (in settings) and set it to dns.adguard.com ... it does work well (I tried it for a couple of minites) ... but I'm not exactly sure where the catch is ... it's a free service ... https://adguard.com/en/welcome.html ... https://adhole.org/ is an alternative (check the DNS setup guide on that page) ... Private DNS is supported as of Android 9 ...

Last edited:
Reactions: JRJ442

jaythenut

Sep 6, 2012

kazemitsui

Dec 15, 2010
Seattle
HTC One (m7)
Google Pixel
Yes, use a private DNS (in settings) and set it to dns.adguard.com ... it does work well (I tried it for a couple of minites) ... but I'm not exactly sure where the catch is ... it's a free service ... https://adguard.com/en/welcome.html ... https://adhole.org/ is an alternative (check the DNS setup guide on that page) ... Private DNS is supported as of Android 9 ...
Thanks! is there a reason you stopped? Cause it was free, and not sure what they were doing with your data since you are routing through them?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I realize this is common; however, I just looked at the build number on my wife's old VZW Pixel 3, and the build number is identical to the latest public version available on Google's site. So it does not appear that Verizon is using private firmware. Bootloader version is the same, too. So if those components are the same, what else would prevent bootloader unlock?
    I think Verizon encrypts the bootloader, preventing it from being able to be unlocked. They actually may have Google do the encrypting for them. So you can have the same bootloader versions, but the ones on the Verizon models have been encrypted to prevent unlocking the bootloader.

At least that is the way I understand it.
    Bootloader successfully unlocked. I will just run everything stock for now - this is just so I don't have to wipe the device later after I have completed full setup and transferred all my data.

1635253206777.png
    BL unlocked and root before opening the box.

Under no circumstances I will own a phone (or a computer, for the shake of it) that sends any data to servers of Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Amazon and the likes.

Cloud is just the marketing shiite to refer to someone else's computer.

Therefore I need root to remove all the crap, to do backups against my own computers, to have a proper firewall that blocks domains and IPs of unwanted servers, and so on.
    On this topic, any idea if we'll be able to root and unlock the bootloader since it'll be the new tensor chip? I'm asking because on Samsung devices I remember being able to unlock only the Exynos and not Snapdragon, and I may be asking something silly here. Thanks!
    If it can be unlocked/rooted, then I plan to buy. If not, I'll have to reconsider. I realize nowadays there's smaller need to flash, but it's kinda a hobby of mine and I like being able to tinker with my device(y)
    Rooting is part of the unpacking process. Before root the device is not truly yours, you just have a guest account on the device.
    Root ofc, but who would need custom ROMs on a Pixel with 5 years of software updates? :D