• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Will you be unlocking BL/Rooting

Will you be unlocking BL/Rooting your Pixel 6?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
I used titanium backup to transfer a couple annoying apps to reinstall on android 12 on pixel 4XL and it worked perfectly, at least the data part. Sometimes the app itself will have issues (Titanium hangs and won't finish restoring. The way around that is to install the app manually via play store or elsewhere. Then it will resume with the restore).
I appreciate the input! I also installed Swift Backup as a, well, backup but not sure how well it works.

I think I also had this hang thing when I went from my 2 XL to my 4 XL but it ended up OK with a little tinkering.

ChrisDos

Sep 5, 2009
Denver
Titanium Backup had been my backup solution for pretty much a decade but it stopped working for me a year or so ago. Researched and found out about Swift Backup. What a night and day difference. It just works. I really like that it can back up to my Nextcloud instance running on my server.

I'm going to have to dig into the Magisk Hide removal to see if there are other workarounds.

Need to find a way to limit the battery charge to 80-85%. The one method I tried did not work. I would have held off to order the Pixel 6 Pro if my Pixel 2 XL's screen wasn't damaged during battery replacement. Both my Nexus 6 and Pixel 2 XL needed battery replacements since I hang on to my phones for awhile. The Nexus 6 was straight forward enough, but the current gluing the screens to the case is just bad engineering to me. I hope the Pixel 6 Pro's battery replacement is easier to get to than the Pixel 2 XL. Anyway, with limiting the charge, I should be able to get 3-4 years out of the original battery.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Jeroen1000

Jul 26, 2012
@h8Aramex. Cheers to that. Besides Gravity box and backup apps I just need call recording too. It's so easy to forget a time or date and I do not have paper and a pen on me at all times. I also do not feel like explaining everyone why I am recording them. I did have to use it once for legal purposes and that saved the day.

I hope our smart dev's can just move banking app's and other "root allergic apps" to a no root profile. I believe the Magisk dev was working on a way to prevent rooted apps from tampering with such apps but one would still need to hide the fact the bootloader is unlocked. If I must, I will just use my old phone for banking.

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
Titanium Backup had been my backup solution for pretty much a decade but it stopped working for me a year or so ago. Researched and found out about Swift Backup. What a night and day difference. It just works.
Hey, can you actually use TiBu backups with Swift? Or are they using completely different backup methods?

crescentmage

Sep 17, 2007
My root needs aren't as extensive as they have been in the past, but I still plan on rooting to get the following:
  • Swift Backup
  • Call recordings
  • Stop battery charging at 80% to prolong battery life
  • Access certain secure settings for Tasker
  • Access the root file systems for a variety of reasons, such as sharing save files across different platforms for some games.
  • The general knowledge that I own and control my $1k device.

diesteldorf

Nov 22, 2010
Bummer, I guess so too. Oh well, as long as Swift can be used, it's fine.

Do you have the premium version for Swift? I wonder if it's worth it.
I too discovered Swift Backup when I was having some issues with Titanium. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. I happily paid for the Premium version (I think it was around $5.00) to support the developer and encourage him to keep refining the app.

I'm not a huge gamer and probably only purchase $15-$20 of apps per year. I wasn't "happy" that Titanium Backup has been essentially abandoned for over 2 years, but I understand that my $4.99 purchase from 10 years ago is not putting food in the developer's mouth today.

Rooting and root-only apps are not as popular, so the financial incentive for developers to create them isn't as high. I'll try to remember to follow up when I setup my new Pixel Pro in 1-2 weeks, but I don't regret my decision to part with a fiver. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
I too discovered Swift Backup when I was having some issues with Titanium. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. I happily paid for the Premium version (I think it was around $5.00) to support the developer and encourage him to keep refining the app.
I hope it will work fine then!

I just tried backing up Wi-Fi networks: I have 164 stored on my phone but only 68 show up in Swift. That's odd. Trying to make a backup with TiBu to xml fails and give me a FC.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
Titanium Backup had been my backup solution for pretty much a decade but it stopped working for me a year or so ago. Researched and found out about Swift Backup. What a night and day difference. It just works. I really like that it can back up to my Nextcloud instance running on my server.

I'm going to have to dig into the Magisk Hide removal to see if there are other workarounds.

Need to find a way to limit the battery charge to 80-85%. The one method I tried did not work. I would have held off to order the Pixel 6 Pro if my Pixel 2 XL's screen wasn't damaged during battery replacement. Both my Nexus 6 and Pixel 2 XL needed battery replacements since I hang on to my phones for awhile. The Nexus 6 was straight forward enough, but the current gluing the screens to the case is just bad engineering to me. I hope the Pixel 6 Pro's battery replacement is easier to get to than the Pixel 2 XL. Anyway, with limiting the charge, I should be able to get 3-4 years out of the original battery.
I used to use a root app on XDA to limit my battery charge, but on multiple phones, the app was causing Android Auto to not work. Not I just just AccuBattery - doesn't limit the charging but I have it set to let me know when it reaches 75% and I never charge overnight except by mistake.

Reactions: galaxys

crescentmage

Sep 17, 2007
I used to use a root app on XDA to limit my battery charge, but on multiple phones, the app was causing Android Auto to not work. Not I just just AccuBattery - doesn't limit the charging but I have it set to let me know when it reaches 75% and I never charge overnight except by mistake.

Was that app "Battery Charge Limit"? It has worked fine for me on my OnePlus 7 Pro, and I do use Android Auto regularly. That said, the reviews seem to indicate that there are some device-specific issues.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
Was that app "Battery Charge Limit"? It has worked fine for me on my OnePlus 7 Pro, and I do use Android Auto regularly. That said, the reviews seem to indicate that there are some device-specific issues.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the one. I had tried it on my Pixel 1, HTC 10, and a Sony something-or-other lol, but it shouldn't surprise me that it depended on the device. I could always try it again and see if anything changed.

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

From what I've heard, it seems to work well..

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Just stumbled upon this thread in the Pixel 5 section: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-update-to-and-re-root-android-12-read-the-notes.4345627/

It seems like rooting the Pixel 6/6 Pro might not be as easy as patching the boot.img like before. I don't like this at all.
Yeah, I've seen Pixel 5 users have to do this. If this holds true for the Pixel 6 it just means having to flash the vbmeta.img with those flags disabled. An extra step for sure. Let's just hope Google doesn't try to add on any more shenanigans than that for the Pixel 6.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I realize this is common; however, I just looked at the build number on my wife's old VZW Pixel 3, and the build number is identical to the latest public version available on Google's site. So it does not appear that Verizon is using private firmware. Bootloader version is the same, too. So if those components are the same, what else would prevent bootloader unlock?
    I think Verizon encrypts the bootloader, preventing it from being able to be unlocked. They actually may have Google do the encrypting for them. So you can have the same bootloader versions, but the ones on the Verizon models have been encrypted to prevent unlocking the bootloader.

At least that is the way I understand it.
    Bootloader successfully unlocked. I will just run everything stock for now - this is just so I don't have to wipe the device later after I have completed full setup and transferred all my data.

1635253206777.png
    BL unlocked and root before opening the box.

Under no circumstances I will own a phone (or a computer, for the shake of it) that sends any data to servers of Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Amazon and the likes.

Cloud is just the marketing shiite to refer to someone else's computer.

Therefore I need root to remove all the crap, to do backups against my own computers, to have a proper firewall that blocks domains and IPs of unwanted servers, and so on.
    On this topic, any idea if we'll be able to root and unlock the bootloader since it'll be the new tensor chip? I'm asking because on Samsung devices I remember being able to unlock only the Exynos and not Snapdragon, and I may be asking something silly here. Thanks!
    If it can be unlocked/rooted, then I plan to buy. If not, I'll have to reconsider. I realize nowadays there's smaller need to flash, but it's kinda a hobby of mine and I like being able to tinker with my device(y)
    Rooting is part of the unpacking process. Before root the device is not truly yours, you just have a guest account on the device.
    Root ofc, but who would need custom ROMs on a Pixel with 5 years of software updates? :D