Question Will you be unlocking BL/Rooting

Will you be unlocking BL/Rooting your Pixel 6?

• Total voters
Search This thread

goddammit

Nov 22, 2009
So I've got mine delivered now. But seriously though, without Magisk Hide, is there any point any more? I was only rooting my previous pixels for AdAway, but for the past couple of weeks I was just using dns.adguard.com that seems to be delivering the same thing.

I mean ѕhit, I literally can't log in to one of my bank accounts without their ѕhitty banking app that now works as the only log in code generator. Way to go, making your phone a single point of failure. 2FA my аss.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

spotmark

Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Hey man, it's early and I haven't had coffee yet... LOL

Also, I haven't rooted since the GP2XL so I'm rusty. I have to have carrier unlock before I can unlock BL correct?
Verizon variants very rarely are bootloader unlockable. Regardless if you carrier unlock them or not. If you want to unlock the bootloader, you need to purchase an unlocked model from Google.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Anyone know if the command to unlock BL remains the same with the Pixel 6 Pro? I have my device in hand so that'll be the first thing I'll be doing, even if I stay on stock ROM for the time being. Saves me having to wipe the device at a later stage.
We were hoping you would tell us 🙃.

I imagine it would still be 'fastboot flashing unlock', but don't know for sure.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Anyone know if the command to unlock BL remains the same with the Pixel 6 Pro? I have my device in hand so that'll be the first thing I'll be doing, even if I stay on stock ROM for the time being. Saves me having to wipe the device at a later stage.

We were hoping you would tell us 🙃.

I imagine it would still be 'fastboot flashing unlock', but don't know for sure.

I'll try that later on today and get back to everyone here.

I don't think the page with official instructions for Locking/Unlocking the Bootloader has changed. I'll update whatever the reported results are in my thread [How To Guide] Common handy links for those new to unlocking bootloaders and rooting. I highly doubt I'll flash Magisk until the official firmware zip is up, just in case.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P

sidhaarthm

Mar 1, 2009
London, U.K.
Bootloader successfully unlocked. I will just run everything stock for now - this is just so I don't have to wipe the device later after I have completed full setup and transferred all my data.

1635253206777.png

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4
Bootloader successfully unlocked. I will just run everything stock for now - this is just so I don't have to wipe the device later after I have completed full setup and transferred all my data.

View attachment 5441915
Ahhhh, that's great news! I hope Google doesn't botch the device like Samsung does when the bootlloader is unlocked (i.e. blocking the cameras).

Did you try patching the boot.img with Magisk to see if you can get root?

Last edited:
  • Wow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1635253206777.png
    BL unlocked and root before opening the box.

Under no circumstances I will own a phone (or a computer, for the shake of it) that sends any data to servers of Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Amazon and the likes.

Cloud is just the marketing shiite to refer to someone else's computer.

Therefore I need root to remove all the crap, to do backups against my own computers, to have a proper firewall that blocks domains and IPs of unwanted servers, and so on.
    On this topic, any idea if we'll be able to root and unlock the bootloader since it'll be the new tensor chip? I'm asking because on Samsung devices I remember being able to unlock only the Exynos and not Snapdragon, and I may be asking something silly here. Thanks!
    If it can be unlocked/rooted, then I plan to buy. If not, I'll have to reconsider. I realize nowadays there's smaller need to flash, but it's kinda a hobby of mine and I like being able to tinker with my device(y)
    Rooting is part of the unpacking process. Before root the device is not truly yours, you just have a guest account on the device.
    Root ofc, but who would need custom ROMs on a Pixel with 5 years of software updates? :D