• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Will you be unlocking BL/Rooting

Will you be unlocking BL/Rooting your Pixel 6?

• Total voters
Search This thread

destiple

Sep 24, 2009
Lincoln
1) I live in CANADA, and I couldn't give a crap about warming it up or cooling it down. Need a coat to get to and from the car anyway. Also need to dig it out from under all the snow, so if you must, let it warm up while doing that :ROFLMAO:
2) Oh, you have a "generic grey car". Hilarious.
Why are you a jerk to people that have different wants than you?

Az Biker

Senior Moderator / Moderator & RC-RT Committees
Staff member
If the sun rises and sets, I'll be rooting my P6P :p

Not so much for the cust Roms, ( my 2XL and Pixel 5 were rooted without ever having a cust Rom ) but because I like using a custom kernel and the ability to tinker IF I decide I want to dabble.

But yeah, I'll likely always root my devices, just because I can :D

darbylonia

Apr 30, 2011
New York

Not so much for the cust Roms, ( my 2XL and Pixel 5 were rooted without ever having a cust Rom ) but because I like using a custom kernel and the ability to tinker IF I decide I want to dabble.

Exactly! Whenever people point out to me that devices nowadays don't need to be rooted as they have more sophisticated OS, so why do I need to root my device? My answer is simply because I can!

MagiskDenyList is decent and Zygisk is getting there
Just use Magisk 23000 or 23001 and you'll be fine. I updated to 23010 on my Pixel 5, and ran into the CTS profile mismatch issue. So, I just downgraded back to 23001, using MagiskHide, Riru, and Universal SafetyNet Fix.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
If you can contribute modem logs and combos, please do so. Not clear whether Network Signal Guru, Exynos methods, Samsung methods (ShannonDM), or Scat will be required.

This is a huge unknown at the moment. Looking for US carrier info and standalone combos in particular but Europe should tell us a lot too.

Last edited:

HereticBG

Jul 19, 2011
Bootloader successfully unlocked. I will just run everything stock for now - this is just so I don't have to wipe the device later after I have completed full setup and transferred all my data.

View attachment 5441915
I was planning to do the same to mine until I thought: does unlocking the bootloader trip safetynet?

If so, then I may have to root to get a bunch of my apps working...or just run completely stock with locked bootloader which kind of annoys me if I ever do change my mind.

I was planning to do the same to mine until I thought: does unlocking the bootloader trip safetynet?

If so, then I may have to root to get a bunch of my apps working...or just run completely stock with locked bootloader which kind of annoys me if I ever do change my mind.
I believe it can, because hardware attestation is used for CTS profile validation - and the bootloader lock state is part of the device key attestation report (used to check if device keystore matches firmware).

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to root without having either the boot image or TWRP, and as far as I know it isn't possible to pull the boot image from a device without root or custom recovery.

HereticBG

Jul 19, 2011
I believe it can, because hardware attestation is used for CTS profile validation - and the bootloader lock state is part of the device key attestation report (used to check if device keystore matches firmware).

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to root without having either the boot image or TWRP, and as far as I know it isn't possible to pull the boot image from a device without root or custom recovery.
Gotcha, thanks for the info!

So it's pretty much for me right now its either:

1. Remain locked and not have root
2. Unlock bootloader and live with SafetyNet failed apps
3. Unlock bootloader and wait for Factory Images to root

Tough choices when I'm eager to start using this thing.....leaning more towards rooting now. Guess I got a little overwhelmed with all the dm-verity and vbmeta stuff as I'm coming from a Pixel 2 lol.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
Usually SafetyNet is easy as hell. Hide/DenyList the whole Google Play Services app and then clear storage for that app and GPay.

But Magisk is in a transition and nothing is clear at the moment.

Gotcha, thanks for the info!

So it's pretty much for me right now its either:

1. Remain locked and not have root
2. Unlock bootloader and live with SafetyNet failed apps
3. Unlock bootloader and wait for Factory Images to root

Tough choices when I'm eager to start using this thing.....leaning more towards rooting now. Guess I got a little overwhelmed with all the dm-verity and vbmeta stuff as I'm coming from a Pixel 2 lol.
Hopefully, since you're starting from a clean install of Android 12, no data wipe will be necessary when you disable verity and verification for root.

If it makes you feel any better, I upgraded to the Pixel 5 from the P2, and was happy to discover that the rooting process was exactly the same...only to get kicked in the proverbial nuts when the 12 Beta came out.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P

Same here. Root and custom kernel. I haven't flashed a custom rom since the Nexus 6P days. I like the way everything on stock "just works" and have never felt the need to flash a custom rom on a Pixel.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Bootloader successfully unlocked. I will just run everything stock for now - this is just so I don't have to wipe the device later after I have completed full setup and transferred all my data.

View attachment 5441915
Do I understand it correctly, that you didn't have to mess with this "Dm-verity" or "Vbmeta verification" in any way?

You just

1. Enabled Developer Options
2. Enabled OEM Unlocking
3. Booted into FastBoot Mode (is it still long press power button + volume down?)
4. Installed latest ADB & Fastboot on your PC (optional if you have it already)
5. Opened CMD Administrator in the ADB directionary
6. Used "fastboot flashing unlock"

Correct?

I'm a bit confused about this dm verity and vbmeta. Does that mean that the phone will reset itself again, once I try to actually root it? Or is that a special case scenario that only applies when someone upgrades from Android 11 to Android 12?

Top Liked Posts

I realize this is common; however, I just looked at the build number on my wife's old VZW Pixel 3, and the build number is identical to the latest public version available on Google's site. So it does not appear that Verizon is using private firmware. Bootloader version is the same, too. So if those components are the same, what else would prevent bootloader unlock?
    I think Verizon encrypts the bootloader, preventing it from being able to be unlocked. They actually may have Google do the encrypting for them. So you can have the same bootloader versions, but the ones on the Verizon models have been encrypted to prevent unlocking the bootloader.

At least that is the way I understand it.
    a while back I recall reading that once you unlock the bootloader on the Pixel 4 series that even if you wipe and flash the stock image that the device no longer sees it as clean and would fail SafetyNet because it no longer passed hardware attestation. was this true and is it still true?
    Yes - this is true on all Pixel devices (and many others). There's several components at play here:
    * Hardware Attestation uses signed keys to verify boot integrity. An unlocked bootloader will fail this because boot integrity can obviously not be verified due to the possibility of a patched or custom boot image.
    * CTS, or Compatibility Test Suite, is used to ensure that the application you want to run is compatible with your device. Hardware attestation is used for this, so unlocked bootloader > failed hardware attestation > failed CTS.
    * The SafetyNet Attestation is used by Google Play Services to report the hardware and software state of the device. CTS is used by this to determine the hardware state, especially hardware security. Therefore, unlocked bootload > failed hardware attestation > failed CTS > failed SafetyNet.

Most app developers are only concerned with hardware and software compatibility; the security state of the device doesn't matter to them. However, some developers want a secure environment, which is why they use the SafetyNet API to ensure their software will only run on a device that is reported as secure.

There are also some apps that specifically look for root. MagiskHide (now DenyList) blocks this.

Magisk modules such as Universal SafetyNet Fix can be used to force a SafetyNet pass, but since Magisk needs root in order to work, there's no way to force SafetyNet pass on a locked bootloader.

Bottom line: if you need SafetyNet to pass, keep your bootloader locked until root is available - which should be as soon as the firmware is released. I doubt Google would want to invest a lot of time and money into developing a completely new structure for Android on the Pixel 6, so I imagine that Magisk as we know it will work for root. There are some unknowns, obviously - like the Titan M2 chip and the private core - as well as existing problems that we have already discovered on previous generations of Pixel, namely the data corruption issue when disabling verity and verification on the Pixel 4a, 5, and 5a.
    Factory Image is now available! Go go go! I'm going to try rooting now!

Factory Image is now available! Go go go! I'm going to try rooting now!

be careful, I heard that this version released is actually older than what's on devices?
    be careful, I heard that this version released is actually older than what's on devices?
    This is the same version as what's on your Pixel 6 Pro when it came in the box, so not a big deal to me. Root and restoring my backups are more important. I will run this version until the next factory image drops next month, and the month after, for the next 5 years :p :p
    By the way....Those of you who took the OTA: You should be able to boot the patched .015 image:
    Code:
    fastboot boot magisk_patched-23011_xxxxx.img
    Then use Direct Install in Magisk to patch the .036 boot image.

Just make sure you use the same version of Magisk, because the Magisk signature has to match for root to work.

1635253206777.png
    BL unlocked and root before opening the box.

Under no circumstances I will own a phone (or a computer, for the shake of it) that sends any data to servers of Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Amazon and the likes.

Cloud is just the marketing shiite to refer to someone else's computer.

Therefore I need root to remove all the crap, to do backups against my own computers, to have a proper firewall that blocks domains and IPs of unwanted servers, and so on.
    On this topic, any idea if we'll be able to root and unlock the bootloader since it'll be the new tensor chip? I'm asking because on Samsung devices I remember being able to unlock only the Exynos and not Snapdragon, and I may be asking something silly here. Thanks!
    If it can be unlocked/rooted, then I plan to buy. If not, I'll have to reconsider. I realize nowadays there's smaller need to flash, but it's kinda a hobby of mine and I like being able to tinker with my device(y)
    Rooting is part of the unpacking process. Before root the device is not truly yours, you just have a guest account on the device.
    Root ofc, but who would need custom ROMs on a Pixel with 5 years of software updates? :D