Question Will you be unlocking BL/Rooting

Will you be unlocking BL/Rooting your Pixel 6?

• Total voters
Search This thread

ridobe

Dec 20, 2010
Westfield, In.
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Bootloader unlocked for sure. I really like having control over the updates myself. Haven't done a custom ROM in years. Just recently started going without root since I've found a way around everything I needed root for.

• backup - every app I need backup for is included in the stock Google backup.
  • custom kernel that I make for myself. Create what I want built in so no root necessary.
  • ad blocking - wireguard server: vpn>pihole>mullvad.

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
I will be unlocking mine for sure just for Viper and Adblock at a minimum. Easier install of hacked Youtube Music, Spotify, etc. I don't really care about a recovery either at this point, just root.

savaytse66

Oct 8, 2009
I've been using custom ROMs and root for years. The last couple, I've used on my Pixel 3 XL for the following:

Stealth Tethering
Titanium Backup
Additional Active Edge features - I can't live without being able to squeeze to toggle flashlight!

If I can do these things without Root/ROM, I would. It looks like backup is possible. What about the other two items? I did not notice if the 6 Pro even has Active Edge.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

znel52

Jun 3, 2010
Smart Watches
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Exactly I remember the good old days when you could buy a Samsung even and unlock it without consequences
Yeah sadly the golden age is over. My most fond android memories are probably when I had my Verizon Galaxy S4 with MDK bootloader and Loki exploit so you could flash custom ROMs and kernels even though the bootloader was technically locked. Good times.

Last edited:
Reactions: droidsmith

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
I've been using custom ROMs and root for years. The last couple, I've used on my Pixel 3 XL for the following:

Stealth Tethering
Titanium Backup
Additional Active Edge features - I can't live without being able to squeeze to toggle flashlight!

If I can do these things without Root/ROM, I would. It looks like backup is possible. What about the other two items? I did not notice if the 6 Pro even has Active Edge.

Lose titanium backup. Its not free and not ever updated (2019!!!!)
Try this open source backup instead: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.machiav3lli.backup/

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lose titanium backup. Its not free and not ever updated (2019!!!!)
Try this open source backup instead: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.machiav3lli.backup/
To be fair, Titanium Backup always worked for me up through and including Android 10. The phone I'm soon getting rid of isn't easily rootable, so I haven't used Titanium Backup in a year and a half. It's true the UI sucked and didn't get updated. Thanks for the link to this other solution, I'll test it out sometime.

AsAnine63

Feb 17, 2016
BL unlocked and root before opening the box.

Under no circumstances I will own a phone (or a computer, for the shake of it) that sends any data to servers of Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Amazon and the likes.

Cloud is just the marketing shiite to refer to someone else's computer.

Therefore I need root to remove all the crap, to do backups against my own computers, to have a proper firewall that blocks domains and IPs of unwanted servers, and so on.
A truer statement has never been told! If I don't believe I can own what I purchase to do as I PLEASE! I don't don't buy it!

Gerii

Oct 29, 2016
I plan to buy it once there is a somewhat stable Lineage ROM out there to get rid of all the Google software. I wonder how long it will take considering the new SoC. Hopefully the cameras will work fine with custom ROMs.

I will definitely be bootloader unlocking and rooting my 6 Pro. I wonder if Titanium Backup will work on Android 12. I've never tried Google's built-in transfer tool.

If root is not possible, I will send it back. It's non-negotiable!
I used titanium backup to transfer a couple annoying apps to reinstall on android 12 on pixel 4XL and it worked perfectly, at least the data part. Sometimes the app itself will have issues (Titanium hangs and won't finish restoring. The way around that is to install the app manually via play store or elsewhere. Then it will resume with the restore).

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4
I used titanium backup to transfer a couple annoying apps to reinstall on android 12 on pixel 4XL and it worked perfectly, at least the data part. Sometimes the app itself will have issues (Titanium hangs and won't finish restoring. The way around that is to install the app manually via play store or elsewhere. Then it will resume with the restore).
I appreciate the input! I also installed Swift Backup as a, well, backup but not sure how well it works.

I think I also had this hang thing when I went from my 2 XL to my 4 XL but it ended up OK with a little tinkering.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bootloader successfully unlocked. I will just run everything stock for now - this is just so I don't have to wipe the device later after I have completed full setup and transferred all my data.

1635253206777.png
    BL unlocked and root before opening the box.

Under no circumstances I will own a phone (or a computer, for the shake of it) that sends any data to servers of Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Amazon and the likes.

Cloud is just the marketing shiite to refer to someone else's computer.

Therefore I need root to remove all the crap, to do backups against my own computers, to have a proper firewall that blocks domains and IPs of unwanted servers, and so on.
    On this topic, any idea if we'll be able to root and unlock the bootloader since it'll be the new tensor chip? I'm asking because on Samsung devices I remember being able to unlock only the Exynos and not Snapdragon, and I may be asking something silly here. Thanks!
    If it can be unlocked/rooted, then I plan to buy. If not, I'll have to reconsider. I realize nowadays there's smaller need to flash, but it's kinda a hobby of mine and I like being able to tinker with my device(y)
    Rooting is part of the unpacking process. Before root the device is not truly yours, you just have a guest account on the device.
    Root ofc, but who would need custom ROMs on a Pixel with 5 years of software updates? :D