• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Will You be upgrading from the Note 20 to the Galaxy Fold 3?

Search This thread

skoobz

so with preorder it's around 850 for the 512gb. I hate that only black is available in the high storage, like all their phones. Also, $200 in credit for other stuff.
I would def jump on it if:
512gb came in other colors.
would get the green one even if it came in 256 if they have sd card slot
camera was taken from the note 20 ultra and not a tweak of the S20.

glad they got rid of the punch hole and now have water IP and spen compatibility. everything else i could have dealth with, no spen silo, not dust proof, but the lack of sd, and lack of color on the highest storage AND midgrade camera system is a no for me.

Plus I have many devices that fit around the slab style such as the tripod and the razer kishi (which uses lag free usb instead of bt).

there's too many no in that column for me to get it.

Here's hope that it doesn't do as well and they put in features that they took out like color selection and SD card.

That or maybe here's to the next note successor...if at all.

If they don't bring back the note then...well...don't know yet.

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
A few observations from today's announcement and pre-sale that just started:

- The expected starting low price of $1600 never materialized. Instead it's $1800. Along with this is the inferior front and back camera specs, no microsd card and a measly 4400mAh battery which let's be honest is nowhere close enough for a dual screen phone let alone the fact that it's even less than our current N20 Ultra.

- Trade in value on Samsung's site for our Note 20 Ultra @ $850 is actually pretty decent, Things go downhill from there though. Secondary devices for trade ins are an absolute joke with the prices they're quoting. For example, the same Note 20 Ultra is listed at just $575 as a secondary trade in. Other incentives like employee/ discount/ education discounts, cashbacks and gift certificates are not as enticing as prior years.

After all this, I personally was looking at approx $780 or so after taxes which isn't too bad but definitely not worth it. I would've probably gone for it if the battery was at least respectable and was a minimum 5000mAh. As it stands my next phone will most likely be the Pixel 6 pro.

d.cortez

Dec 30, 2005
north texas
i decided to trade in my N20U (former company phone), ZF2 and an S8+ for the ZF3 w/512GB with an out the door price of $249.00 before corp discount (of $100). I've been using the ZF2 for 10 months while my N20U sat in a drawer. i understand that the ZF3 w/S-Pen features is not a direct Note replacement, and there are other compromises (that i'm willing to accept) but the ZF3 will work for me until the next Note is released.

Reactions: dj24

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
i decided to trade in my N20U (former company phone), ZF2 and an S8+ for the ZF3 w/512GB with an out the door price of $249.00 before corp discount (of $100). I've been using the ZF2 for 10 months while my N20U sat in a drawer. i understand that the ZF3 w/S-Pen features is not a direct Note replacement, and there are other compromises (that i'm willing to accept) but the ZF3 will work for me until the next Note is released.
Our first taker :) Can you come back and update us on the battery life comparing it to your previous N20 ultra and ZF2?

Jake.S

Well the Apple has gone rotten to the core. Thinking everyone and anyone might be guilty Apple will scan all Apple phones for CP images. Then if found Apple will dime you out.
A no warrant search courtesy of Apple.
What's next? You can bet Apple isn't gonna to limit searches to just CP images for long if at all.

If apple does that then they will be violating the privacy law and they will get quickly sued for violating it.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
If apple does that then they will be violating the privacy law and they will get quickly sued for violating it.
Not so sure about that. Can Google be far behind? Take a look around at what's happening... you're freedoms and privacy are being taken away piecemeal.
Apple weaponized check

Jake.S

Not so sure about that. Can Google be far behind? Take a look around at what's happening... you're freedoms and privacy are being taken away piecemeal.
Apple weaponized check
Well I have seen few companies getting sued by European Union and such for violating the privacy law. So I'm quite sure shortly after Apple will be sued for it too. Since they will be scanning millions of innocent decives and see what they have.

Reactions: blackhawk
Setting aside the crappy battery and questions about the screen durability/longevity, I *might* have considered it if it were not for the truly awful aspect ratio when open. I wouldn't mind having a single device to replace my phone and S7+, but watching any video on the Fold 3 ends up with massive black bars that just take me out of the experience. Yeah, there are black bars on the S7+ as well, but far smaller and easily overlooked.

r.dunne

Aug 29, 2013
Although I'm no audiophile, I tend to be serious about my tunes too. Have you tried a USB C to 3.5mm DAC? I have this one and quite enjoy it.

Edit: I did a bit of digging on Headfi and found a thread and a review site all the audiophiles there swear by.

I have several of them including 2 Samsung official ones which are the only 2 that don't work, however even the one I have with a charger and USB-C input which solved the charging issue causes the phone to do strange things whenever I plug it in or unplug it from any of my devices and when it's plugged in there's no mic for phone calls and the Bluetooth doesn't connect in my car which is one of the few places I actually like the wireless over a cord. There are other conflicts also but those are the major ones. Also makes Google assistant act up which I don't use. Alexa is my assistant.

r.dunne

Aug 29, 2013
I actually downgraded, got another note 9 512 today. Gonna use it until I get a better look at pixel or moto G stylus next gen. Now to figure out what to do with this stupid note 20 ultra. I can't mod it because it's a US model and I can't sell it until I obligate the stupid contract with xfinity. Guess it'll be an expensive coffee table conversation piece for a few months.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I actually downgraded, got another note 9 512 today. Gonna use it until I get a better look at pixel or moto G stylus next gen. Now to figure out what to do with this stupid note 20 ultra. I can't mod it because it's a US model and I can't sell it until I obligate the stupid contract with xfinity. Guess it'll be an expensive coffee table conversation piece for a few months.
Pay off the phone and then sell it.

Meh, I feel your pain. I was looking at getting either a new N10+ or a N20U.
The 10+ won... bad Samsung, bad Android.
The new 10+ came loaded with Q... and there it will stay most likely for life🤣

Rapier

Recognized Contributor
Jun 23, 2008
Bucharest
HTC One S
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
No way gonna switch my Note for a Fold/Flip. I had them both for review and there is no comparison. Fold has a bigger screen but that's all. The productivity (for me) got a dive when I switched to it because in most cases I'm on the road/car/out and it's a pain to use it unfolded. The screen is indeed big but for my needs it's better to have something I could hold in one hand. Also since my car doesn't have Android Auto, the usage of Fold while navigating with that narrow external screen is awful.

Cameras are way better on Note 20 Ultra, the included s-pen is a totally different thing than the "support" of it on Fold and the need to get a bigger and bulkier case with s-pen included is a "NO GO" for me.

Now that rumors of Note 22/S22 Ultra came out, I do hope I'll change my Note next year with a new device

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
First time in my life that I've thought about going to the dark side... Seriously considering the iPhone 13 pro max as it's been getting rave reviews and is now the undisputable photo and video king all around and now possibly even SOT. With android let alone Samsung straying far away from its core principle and pretty much looking like apple these days- it begs the question 'why not?'

I'll wait until the Pixel 6 pro reviews come out and if it doesn't take the mantle or at least match the camera improvements of the 13 pro max, it makes it much harder not to. I'll just have to pretend that ghastly notch doesn't exist..

r.dunne

Aug 29, 2013
I'll never own an iPhone, or Apple anything ever. I had an iPod around 2003 or 2004 and I unwittingly dumped about 1400 mp3s that I'd been "collecting" since around '96 when Napster got going. Upon doing so iTunes conveniently also deleted the files from my hard drive. I can't remember if there was an option for that or not but in any case, I wasn't really aware that it had happened and I didn't have them backed up anywhere else. When I found out that iTunes charged $.99 per song, I decided that I didn't want to continue my subscription so I canceled. Shortly after that I decided to give the iPod to my son and get a regular mp3 player to load my music onto and when I plugged it in to load my tunes on to it I discovered that they were missing. I tried to log into the iTunes account I had canceled but it was gone already. I tried to contact Apple and got the customer support run around for a couple of days so I started looking around on the web to see if there were other cases like mine and what, if any results came of them. While doing this I was contacted by someone claiming to be from Apple and was asked for a list of the songs I was missing. I only had a partial list but it was probably about 70 to 75% of all the titles. I didn't hear back from this person and the email address that they had contacted me with was "full" and couldn't accept any more incoming emails. About a week after that, I got home from work one day and my pc wouldn't connect to the internet. I went through the normal DIY procedures and then contacted AT&T/Roadrunner, my ISP. They ran a couple of online tests and told me my modem was no good. I replaced the modem and still nothing. I called my ISP back and they said there was nothing else they could recommend. I have a grade school friend who manages another ISP, a small local deal but they had DSL and he said it was pretty fast so I switched and still couldn't get the pc to connect to the internet. So my friend comes over with all his test equipment and after about an hour he drops the device on my desk and asked me some questions about my activity before it stopped connecting and I told him what I could remember and when I got to the part about the email from the person wanting the list, he said OK, stop right there and tell me why he wanted a list of your music so I tell him about the iTunes ordeal and he asks me if I had any Metallica songs that I had gotten from Napster and I said yeah, like 4 of the old ones from Kille em All. He said you are going to need a new motherboard. I asked him why and he said that the person who wanted the list got the serial number for your motherboard banned from being able to log onto the internet ever again and that I was probably going to be contacted by the FBI or an agent designated by them to be interviewed about my use of Napster and that I could forget about any chance of ever getting those mp3s back. So I start researching that stuff and start panicking as I'm reading these cases of people getting sued by the RIAA for hundreds of thousands of dollars for having a few copyright protected files on their hard drives that were downloaded illegally through Napster with Metallica being at the forefront of the whole movement. I also had to replace my whole pc because it was a gateway and they used funky motherboards that were designed to only fit into gateway cases. Nothing else came of the mp3 situation, I didn't get contacted by anyone or get sued but after deciding to build my new pc from standard parts in a generic case, I also decided to get back into vinyl and collect my music that way. From what I can gather is iTunes turned me in after I canceled my subscription and since there were no mp3s on my hard drive by the time I was contacted and they fried my mono serial number there wasn't much of a case so they must have just let it go for bigger fish. So even though iTunes may have saved me from a huge lawsuit, they still scumbed me and then shortly after that I read a headline article in the WSJ about Apple boasting a 9 billion dollar profit for whatever quarter had just closed and it made me sick so I've sworn them off and they have not nor will they ever get a red cent out of my pocket again.

r.dunne

Aug 29, 2013
Sorry, I know this is way off topic but I felt compelled to share my feelings on Apple, the sheer greed of the company regardless of what happened to me, which may have had nothing to do with them, makes me sick. That's enough money to end many issues that the world faces but do you think they will use a penny of it to help anyone, especially the least fortunate? Nope, they'll just keep it in places where it will generate more profits. It's sickening and I only hope that if I had a company that could generate that much profit in 3 months time I would use at least most of it to do good by boosting up the lesser fortunate in this world who could in turn do some good for everyone as a whole. I see and hear of so many whom all it would take is a little boost to get them going in the right direction, myself included, but can we ever get that boost? Just enough to get over this hurdle of debt or poverty or whatever binds us like chained beasts who would only want to be a friend if we were to get loose but the spectators are sure we would tear them to shreds if we were loosed. No. Give me 9 billion every 3 months and I'd let em all off. I doubt many would turn out to actually be harmful. On the other hand there are these spoiled rich people who are quite harmful but do they ever have to fully account for the wrong they do? Again, no. Any entity that hordes funds that could be used to better us as a collective species doesn't get any money from me. I don't study every thing I buy to find out what the company does with their money but none of the huge greedy conglomerates that I'm aware of do at least. I know Samsung isn't a whole lot better but they do at least some things to help poor kids go to school in places that don't have much and a few other good cause programs and I need a capable device for work and I know there are less expensive options but I don't have a huge bank account either. I work hard for what I have, which isn't very much at all in the scope of things but I do help people out any way I can any time I can and I hope I would still if I did have deep pockets. I can't hand out billions but if I could I certainly would and if I have a dollar that can get someone around me through a meltdown, they're welcome to it. I'm willing to bet that Nobody at Apple headquarters will say the same. Screw Apple.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm still very curious about the Pixel 6 pro that'll be announced next week. If the reported 5000 mah battery life will have decent SOT - I might finally upgrade. I'll miss the S-Pen for sure but I honestly use it for fun mostly instead of productivity.

Anyone here has any experience with prior Pixel flagships? How's the standby battery life overall?
    I'm on the other side of the boat. I want a Note pretty bad because they are what I used to always use years ago and kinda think I'll miss them if they do completely go away. Thinking I'll get one for a last hoorah. As to your question, I've had pixels pretty regularly, currently on a pixel 5. Standby is really good, sot is great and on my off days I regularly see 7-9 hours. My pixel 4xl? Horrible. Dead within 4 hours sot and standby, while a bit better still nothing to write about. I'd like to think the pixel pro would have addressed the shortcomings of the 4xl but by early reviews, it hasn't.
    I'm on the other side of the boat. I want a Note pretty bad because they are what I used to always use years ago and kinda think I'll miss them if they do completely go away. Thinking I'll get one for a last hoorah. As to your question, I've had pixels pretty regularly, currently on a pixel 5. Standby is really good, sot is great and on my off days I regularly see 7-9 hours. My pixel 4xl? Horrible. Dead within 4 hours sot and standby, while a bit better still nothing to write about. I'd like to think the pixel pro would have addressed the shortcomings of the 4xl but by early reviews, it hasn't.
    Consider a new Note 10+ Snapdragon 4G, they are still available for $800. No variable refresh rate means none of the issues associated with it; the 10+ has excellent color rendering. No 5G to cause issues. The new ones are running on Q, avoid ones running on R. Q behaves much the same as Pie; it's very functional and user friendly.

I bought my second one about a month ago. After 2 years the first one runs and looks like new. One battery replacement on this heavily used device. It's a fast, stable work horse that's just fun to use.

The Pixel6's displays are a mess. Numerous issues it seems and lots of returns/replacements.

I've decided not to upgrade to the 6 pro because of mediocre to horrible battery life overall that people are getting. Gsmarena just verified this with their just posted review.

My upgrade will most likely be the S22 Ultra aka note 22ultra if the battery life holds.
    I had Note 10+ and traded it in for Z fold 2 in September 2020. I used the Galaxy Z Fold 2 for whole last year and was waiting for the new Fold 3. It is disappointment for me, so I went to Samsung flagship store in Glendale, California, and bought one of the last available black unlocked Note 20 Ultra , mostly because of waterproof functionality, screen size, S pen and SD card storage. My Z Fold 2 has 256 GB capacity and I am down to 6GB left and I am very conservative with videos and documents. I move files and photos to external storage, but I really need phone with more storage, even if the new Z Fold 3 comes with 512 GB. The crease on the middle screen is annoying and they didn't improve it at all for Z Fold 3. The inner screen on my Fold 2 cracked in the crease by itself after 250 days of use. It was fixed by Samsung under warranty but I don't want to take another chance that it will happen again on the replaced screen. The only better thing on the Fold 2 is the sound of speakers. The true external speakers sound is much better than Note, but that is probably because they don't need to waterproof them. ( Different sound on Fold 3, very disappointing ) The inner screen on the Z Fold is not that much bigger compared to Note 20 Ultra, so I actually "downsized" back to Note line that I have loved since the Note 1. I know the Fold 3 supports the S Pen, but writing over that crease on the inner screen is awkward. Back to Note 20 Ultra for me.
    It's official.

Not surprisingly with the chip shortage and the Android platform in a mess thanks to Android 11.

Fold 3 isn't going to even pay for half of the investment Samsung bet on the Fold technology let alone pay the rent🤣
    Lots of failures happening with the S21 U's and Samsung isn't managing that well at all.
    Next year Samsung better get their lame act together... lots of dropped balls and no slam dunks this year.
    ...I might get another note 9 if I can find one in good as new condition...
    ...If anyone has any recommendations, I'm open to info.

Hi, @rdunne,

A couple of days ago, I was cruising around on Samsung's website for a N20U S-view cover, and noticed that Samsung has a "certified" Note9 listed for sale (USA).

back on topic:
    No, I will not upgrade/trade from the N20U to the GF3. Still have the N9 as a back-up.

Next phone will be 2 cans and a string with CanDroid OS...
    I'll consider it if they offer a trade in of 900$ on my note 20 ultra. Samsung are wankers, they want all their cake and eat it to. Of course they didn't make a note 21 ultra or whatever, because they are hedging on us bafoons to bend over for their beta program.

Looks like the price will be set around $1600 with hopefully decent trade offers for our Note 20/ Ultra. Possible S-Pen full integration but the battery size is a measely 4300-4500mAh which right there if true is a deal breaker for me. I'm expecting at least a minimum of 5000 mAh for me to shell out any of my hard earned moolah.

What do you guys think?
    NO
    Thinking to skip Android all together... Fragmentation is just too much and till today Google couldn't come up with a viable solution. Adding to that major version upgrades in Android is just stupid compared to Apple... I hate Apple but I have no choice