Will you give up the NC for Amazon Fire

Search This thread

wpbear

Nov 27, 2006
Columbus, GA
No Mic and no mention of BT or Battery true size (mAH).

If I hadn't already owned a NC then I would wait for this before making the choice. But since I have a NC already, this doesn't excite me too much.

jtxmobile

Jan 10, 2011
I am on the fence right now...will wait and see what the reviews say before I buy...the only advantages I see is the Amazon services connection and the dual core CPU...besides that the nook has it all! the IPS screen, its thinner and has the micro SD port that I love to load up with my own movies....I really wanted a 7" IPS with 8+ battery life, bluetooth and a front facing cam for those rate Skipe occasions

arda99

Jan 4, 2011
same here would get a kindle fire if there is mic...
otherwise, I'm happy with NC+CM7, don't use tablet for movies so the weak processor on NC doesn't bother me much.

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
If any only if Kindle Fire reaches the state at where the NC is right now with development, then I'd move.

Having said that, another criteria for me is that LG must be the manufacturer of the IPS display, otherwise, I won't bother. =)

bobzdar

Jan 14, 2011
I just pre-ordered the Amazon Fire, but the truth is that it appears to offer few advantages over the rooted NC.

I am curious how other NC users feel.

No way, but then I wouldn't buy a Nook Color at this point either. It was a great deal 10 months ago, but such is progress. NC2 is going to be announced next month and the Lenovo A1 has all the stuff they're both missing for the same price. This is a definite pass as the only selling point is the dual core processor but I'd rather have the GPS, BT, microSD and cameras on the A1 for $199.

Reactions: johnny15

arda99

Jan 4, 2011
512MB RAM....

per engadget

What it won't have, though, is the number of physical inputs. It'll make do with just a power button and nothing more -- if you want to turn down the volume you'll need to dive into the status bar. Whether or not that proves to be an annoyance in the long-run remains to be seen, but we're thinking it will be.

Software performance seems quite smart at this point, switching tasks and apps in rapid fire during the demo we were given. We were only shown a brief glimpse of the new Silk browser, but we must say the thing appears to deliver on its promises. The dual-core 1GHz, TI OMAP processor certainly seems adequate, too, even if it is only paired with 512MB of memory. It also has 8GB of storage on tap -- a bit light these days, but with all your content synced online, in theory there's no need for more. In theory.

koopakid08

Jun 24, 2011
No way, its just a locked down nook color. With no SD slot and no buttons.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

discothan

Feb 15, 2011
Its really too new to tell. I like to tinker, but without buttons and SD slot or even some sort of USB port, this Amazon Fire will be a bit more difficult to root.

colorado_al

Aug 4, 2008
same here would get a kindle fire if there is mic...
otherwise, I'm happy with NC+CM7, don't use tablet for movies so the weak processor on NC doesn't bother me much.

I use my NC for movies all the time. Netflix as well. Processor is not a problem for me. I'd wait and see what B&N rolls out next month before I made a decision on a new purchase. Also, you can get a NC refurb for $160. Bet their pricing goes down even more soon.

I think the Lenovo A1 is the best buy in a 7" tablet right now.

Last edited:

patruns

May 30, 2011
Nope. Dual core processor sounds nice but I see no other benefits. No SD slot and no CM7. What would be the point?

majorpay

Jun 6, 2010
Colorado
No way, but then I wouldn't buy a Nook Color at this point either. It was a great deal 10 months ago, but such is progress. NC2 is going to be announced next month and the Lenovo A1 has all the stuff they're both missing for the same price. This is a definite pass as the only selling point is the dual core processor but I'd rather have the GPS, BT, microSD and cameras on the A1 for $199.

The 4.3" of the A1 makes that device a non-compete in the tablet market.

arda99

Jan 4, 2011
I use my NC for movies all the time. Netflix as well. Processor is not a problem for me. I'd wait and see what B&N rolls out next month before I made a decision on a new purchase. Also, you can get a NC refurb for $160. Bet their pricing goes down even more soon.

I think the Lenovo A1 is the best buy in a 7" tablet right now.

A1 uses regular TN instead of IPS...but yes, its cheap, there is a 2GB version exclusive for Chinese market for about 1000RMB(~160 USD)

Last edited:

bobzdar

Jan 14, 2011
A1 uses regular TN instead of IPS...but yes, its cheap, there is a 2GB version exclusive for Chinese market for about 1000RMB(~160 USD)

From geek.com:

"The 7-inch A1 will feature a 1024×600 IPS touchscreen display, a single-core 1GHz ARM Cortex A8 processor, 3MP rear and VGA front cameras, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, GPS and accelerometer, microSD expansion, and Android 2.3. Lenovo estimates the A1′s battery to be good for about 7 hours of Wi-Fi web surfing."

As I said, only thing the Fire has going for it is dual core, but I'd rather have all of the added features of the A1.

arda99

Jan 4, 2011
From geek.com:

"The 7-inch A1 will feature a 1024×600 IPS touchscreen display, a single-core 1GHz ARM Cortex A8 processor, 3MP rear and VGA front cameras, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, GPS and accelerometer, microSD expansion, and Android 2.3. Lenovo estimates the A1′s battery to be good for about 7 hours of Wi-Fi web surfing."

As I said, only thing the Fire has going for it is dual core, but I'd rather have all of the added features of the A1.

It's wrong. A1 is available in China already and its definitely TN.

http://translate.google.com/transla...pconline.com.cn/reviews/1109/2529283_all.html

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No mic, no camera, no gps, no bluetooh.
    And with $199, it will be a bust.
    I just pre-ordered the Amazon Fire, but the truth is that it appears to offer few advantages over the rooted NC.

I am curious how other NC users feel.