Question Will You Upgrade to Pixel 7 / Pro?

Search This thread

tonyfiore75

Nov 2, 2010
New York, NY
I was just interested to see who here plans on upgrading to the Pixel 7 / Pro come October? I'm on the fence but leaning towards sticking with my 6 Pro for another year. From what I've seen, spec-wise, I do not see it as a significant upgrade. And Android 13 is Android 13 on either phone. I tend to upgrade most years and am typically disappointed with the result (since my Pixel 4 XL, which I really did like). I mean, it's exciting to get a new phone but certainly not necessary unless you have a good reason (damage or whatever).

What say you all?

If the battery life, camera flaring issues and cellular connectivity is better, I might upgrade at the end of the year. I really like my 6 Pro, but its just those few things that been a bit of a pain. My OnePlus 8 Pro on Android 12 have had less issues overall compared to this phone, and being on 5G doesn't murder the battery life as much as it does on my 6 Pro.

I've read that Google's trade-in policies can be sketchy at times. I had thought about trading in the 6 Pro for the 7 Pro, but I've been on the fence with that.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I was just interested to see who here plans on upgrading to the Pixel 7 / Pro come October? I'm on the fence but leaning towards sticking with my 6 Pro for another year. From what I've seen, spec-wise, I do not see it as a significant upgrade. And Android 13 is Android 13 on either phone. I tend to upgrade most years and am typically disappointed with the result (since my Pixel 4 XL, which I really did like). I mean, it's exciting to get a new phone but certainly not necessary unless you have a good reason (damage or whatever).

What say you all?
Think I'll wait for the 8. The 7 sounds like a minor update so far, hardware wise. Some have speculated that the 8 may be produced on Samsung's 3nm Process, although others have said that it may not because it will be too expensive. I've got the 2XL, 4XL and 6 Pro, so just may stick with the 2 yr updates.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, excpet for the OG Pixel XL (I always use XL phones excpet for the Pixel 3, which I don't like) ), I have not liked the 3 and 5 series AT.ALL. *for obvious reasons) and still have my 2XL and 4XL as cherished backsups and am totally in love with my P6P.

So it looks like the odd-numbered series I don't like and the even I do, at least so far, so will probably not upgrade.

tonyfiore75

Nov 2, 2010
New York, NY
Come to think of it, excpet for the OG Pixel XL (I always use XL phones excpet for the Pixel 3, which I don't like) ), I have not liked the 3 and 5 series AT.ALL. *for obvious reasons) and still have my 2XL and 4XL as cherished backsups and am totally in love with my P6P.

So it looks like the odd-numbered series I don't like and the even I do, at least so far, so will probably not upgrade.
I love the superstition, haha.

I remember the days where upgrading your phone was a BIIIIIIG deal. This goes back to my days of having a Samsung Captivate. I mean, each new phone was a totally new experience. Now, not so much. I'd probably still be happy with my Pixel 4 XL. But I always trade my phones in to get a discount. At this point, though, I really see no reason to upgrade to the 7. Maybe when the prices drop later in the year or in 2023 it would make more sense but I am USUALLY The guy that buys the new Pixel on day 1. Definitely not this year.

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4
Think I'll wait for the 8. The 7 sounds like a minor update so far, hardware wise. Some have speculated that the 8 may be produced on Samsung's 3nm Process. I've got the 2XL, 4XL and 6 Pro, so just may stick with the 2 yr updates.
Same here, I only got the even numbers Pixels.

Still using my 4 XL, I'm having a hard time parting with it 😅

But I'm probably gonna use my 6 Pro very soon now that Android 13 has finally ironed out the bugs of 12.

I'm still slightly worried about the battery life and cell reception though.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
My wife and I will likely either be waiting for the Pixel 8 Pro / XL / SuperMondo, or potentially until sometime after all security updates stop for the Pixel 6 Pro, so sometime late 2026 or early 2027. :D

Edit: We did similar for the Pixel 1/XL - didn't update until after it stopped receiving monthly updates.

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
I've been testing MVK that is under volted and it has cleaned up a lotttt of the heat this phone use to give me. And he's UV the modem as we speak. We playing with 🔥. 🤣 Android 13 and MVK have honestly solved 96% of my problems I had with this Raven.

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
Yeah, I've found the heating issue to be problematic myself. In fact, I think it's led to quite a few unplanned reboots of my phone. It happens a lot ON the Pixel Stand, as a matter of fact.
That's why I don't like wireless charging. Nothing but heat. And where there's a magnetic field, there's an electrical current, and where there's a electrical current, there's a magnetic field. Understanding this physical principal teaches us that although it is "cool" visually, it's not "cool" physically. But yeah this phone has terrible thermals. Since google gave me the middle finger I am tempted to tear the phone apart and see if I can place A. Thermal paste, and B. Thermal pads in the phone in places to allow the phone to act more as a heat sink. But as of now my phone rarely goes above 120f anymore and the battery is consistently below 100f. It use to COOK on A12.1

Amd4life

Dec 30, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Vivo X Fold
What I need is; faster charging, an improved 4G/5G modem and better wifi connectivity.

What I want is; a much faster processor (not gonna happen), a flat screen (never gonna happen).

Unless they give me a sweet trade in price like Apple, what's the point for a slightly better camera, probably free pixel buds, and the same screen?

If you want all the 4G/5G bands across all carriers in the US, and the ability to root the device that you own and paid for , your stuck with this 2018 era Samsung processor, and low nit screen.

I would probably spring for a Pixel Fold, just to have something new.

sgvjon

Nov 28, 2010
Los Angeles
GT-i9250
HTC Dragon
Think I'll wait for the 8. The 7 sounds like a minor update so far, hardware wise. Some have speculated that the 8 may be produced on Samsung's 3nm Process, although others have said that it may not because it will be too expensive. I've got the 2XL, 4XL and 6 Pro, so just may stick with the 2 yr updates.
I have the same opinion as you, probably going to wait for the 8.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What say you all?
    Think I'll wait for the 8. The 7 sounds like a minor update so far, hardware wise. Some have speculated that the 8 may be produced on Samsung's 3nm Process. I've got the 2XL, 4XL and 6 Pro, so just may stick with the 2 yr updates.
    Same here, I only got the even numbers Pixels.

Still using my 4 XL, I'm having a hard time parting with it 😅

But I'm probably gonna use my 6 Pro very soon now that Android 13 has finally ironed out the bugs of 12.

I'm still slightly worried about the battery life and cell reception though.
    I've been testing MVK that is under volted and it has cleaned up a lotttt of the heat this phone use to give me. And he's UV the modem as we speak. We playing with 🔥. 🤣 Android 13 and MVK have honestly solved 96% of my problems I had with this Raven.
    Nope. Same Modem I read. And No 50MP shots really left a terrible taste in my mouth. 12MP is 12MP I don't care if it's BINNED or not. My 3aXL took better pictures and that really burnt me.
    My wife and I will likely either be waiting for the Pixel 8 Pro / XL / SuperMondo, or potentially until sometime after all security updates stop for the Pixel 6 Pro, so sometime late 2026 or early 2027. :D

Edit: We did similar for the Pixel 1/XL - didn't update until after it stopped receiving monthly updates.