Question Will You Upgrade to Pixel 7 / Pro?

Search This thread

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
There's a 256 GB version.

So much misinfo and disinfo in here.

New CPU, new GPU, new front cameras, new modem, tweaked rear cameras, etc. This is a NEW phone despite all the whining and suggesting otherwise.
New CPU - Sure, still underperforms the new flagships.
New GPU - Don't care. Unless you spend your day playing games on your phone
New front camera - Where do you read that? It is still the same as the P6P..
Tweaked rear camera - Ok? Still uses the same sensor.
New modem - We still have to test it in real life.

Yeah. Nice try. But Google ain't gonna fool people into thinking this is a whole new phone because it is not..

Yensid eno

Aug 31, 2012
Mentioned many times, got to be able to use the phone as a phone. Connection to cell towers on P6P is absolutely the worst ever. This my 3rd: Pixel 2XL (best of all), 4a5g, P6P, and my wife has 4a. I am suffering still with this unit due to the camera and quick updates. Maybe a fold phone next, but not sure if I will do Google again. I mean, shouldn't the phone hardware be an easy thing to get right on a phone?

Yensid eno

Aug 31, 2012

Yeah. Nice try. But Google ain't gonna fool people into thinking this is a whole new phone because it is not..
Is it a new modem? I am still reading through the whole thread. Wondering, is it a known unit with good track record?

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012

Pretty much everything in this post is wrong. Just stop ffs.

CPU: 4nm die shrink means more efficient power and the boosted clock speeds show it.
GPU: Mali G710, up from G78. An upgrade and same GPU as Mediatek flagships.
Camera: New telephoto Samsung GN1. Both phones get new ultrawide selfie sensors with possible autofocus.
Modem: Unreleased chip but should add Release 16 5G and 3+ carrier aggregation.
Display: Pro rumored to reach 1500 nits brightness.

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL
Google Pixel 6 Pro

CPU: 4nm die shrink means more efficient power and the boosted clock speeds show it. -They are using old CPU cores. They chose an older Arm A76 for medium cores when the A78 core was available. Hence why it scored low on the benchmarks. It has achieved a 10% higher than the P6P. You call that an improvement? They claimed higher clock speeds but unchanged CPU specs in title? Trying to downplay an improvement.
GPU: Mali G710, up from G78. An upgrade and same GPU as Mediatek flagships. - Mediatek are used in most cheap and mid-range phones and it is only cost effective. Snapdragon is more powerful and reliable chipset. Better than P6P's? Sure..
Camera: New telephoto Samsung GN1. Both phones get new ultrawide selfie sensors with possible autofocus. - Not sure what kind of info you are coming up with, but the specs are the same as the P6P.
Display: Pro rumored to reach 1500 nits brightness. - I remember when Google said that the P6P will have 1200 nits, when it only has 800nits. It's possible they measured the brightness of the screen when it was just a small 1% box and said "oooh it can go to 1500nits!" but the reality is you'll almost never see that brightness on a normal image. A normal image is going to average out to something closer to 900 nits (or whatever, just definitely not 1500) at maximum brightness. P7P fullscreen brightness (100% APL) will be 1000 nits.

Last edited:

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
How did you find out about the new modem? If that's true, I imagine it would be much better than the 3-4 year old, known-to-be-problematic modem in the Pixel 6 series.

Side note, but I always wonder why so many people want something more hypothetically equivalent to 13900K processing speed on their cellphones, haha. If you're running stock Android (so any Android builds from Google), you don't need that speed, as the OS is often optimized to run smoothly with lesser hardware. It's more about getting better power efficiency whilst creating less heat output.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
Deduction. Samsung is done with Release 15 even if their Exynos modems are at least a year behind the Snapdragon modems they use. The 5133 in the S22 Exynos was Release 16. The 5300 in the Pixel 7 is supposedly even newer.

It could still be only 2CA though. Main question is whether the modem is bolted on like the Pixel 6 or actually part of the CPU now like a normal Exynos phone.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P

itiskonrad

Dec 5, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Ok, so I said I wouldn't upgrade before, but in light of new information, I just did lol.

Optical zoom increased from 4x to 5x, face unlock, a white model with 512gb, and $540 trade in for my white 256gb 6 pro + $200 Google store credit?

For $1,190 (after tax) - $540 - $200 = $450 to upgrade to 7 pro with higher zoom, face unlock, and increased storage from 256gb to 512gb? Yeah, I bit. Hopefully the modem is at least a little better! 🤞

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4
Wellll... I caved in too. Got a black 256 GB (finally, no more 128 only here!) and it comes with a FREE Pixel Watch LTE!

999 euros for everything. Now what am I gonna do with my brand new 6 Pro? 😅

bosox284

Mar 16, 2012
Ok, so I said I wouldn't upgrade before, but in light of new information, I just did lol.

Optical zoom increased from 4x to 5x, face unlock, a white model with 512gb, and $540 trade in for my white 256gb 6 pro + $200 Google store credit?

For $1,190 (after tax) - $540 - $200 = $450 to upgrade to 7 pro with higher zoom, face unlock, and increased storage from 256gb to 512gb? Yeah, I bit. Hopefully the modem is at least a little better! 🤞
Pretty much my thinking as well. I also had the ~$95 from Google One last year, did the same thing again this year so I get another ~$95. Hoping the G2 improvements will reduce the overheating and the modem will be improved. Both are big QoL updates in my opinion.

Reactions: itiskonrad

domhall012N8

I recently purchased a P6P 512GB... At that cost, I seem to be softening on the idea that Google offers a little-bit less... But it also costs a little-bit less...

So a question please... We keep referring to the new P7P as a "flagship"... Surely, Google has the capability to cram a bit more of the best tid-bits, if they were willing to make a much more expensive device, at the same price-point as a comparable, say, 512gb Apple or Samsung "flagship"?

Is this really intended to be "the next flagship", or is it simply Googles "more affordable flagship", where it costs a little less, thus a little less is to be expected?

somethingsomethingroot

Nov 8, 2013
Is this really intended to be "the next flagship", or is it simply Googles "more affordable flagship", where it costs a little less, thus a little less is to be expected?
Google is saying the first thing, but it's been playing out as more of the second thing. Where the "less" comes in is the question though. The modem and fingerprint issues were bad enough that people should expect better, even at those prices.

P6P

Oct 29, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F3
Nothing Phone 1

CPU: 4nm die shrink means more efficient power and the boosted clock speeds show it.
GPU: Mali G710, up from G78. An upgrade and same GPU as Mediatek flagships.
Camera: New telephoto Samsung GN1. Both phones get new ultrawide selfie sensors with possible autofocus.
Display: Pro rumored to reach 1500 nits brightness.

Camera information isn't completely right.

P7P compared to P6P:

- main Camera is the same GN1 sensor
- UW camera is also the same IMX 381 sensor but with macro mode and wider angle
- front camera is a new and better sensor (S5K3J1)
- tele sensor is everywhere mentioned to be the GM1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was just interested to see who here plans on upgrading to the Pixel 7 / Pro come October? I'm on the fence but leaning towards sticking with my 6 Pro for another year. From what I've seen, spec-wise, I do not see it as a significant upgrade. And Android 13 is Android 13 on either phone. I tend to upgrade most years and am typically disappointed with the result (since my Pixel 4 XL, which I really did like). I mean, it's exciting to get a new phone but certainly not necessary unless you have a good reason (damage or whatever).

What say you all?
    Think I'll wait for the 8. The 7 sounds like a minor update so far, hardware wise. Some have speculated that the 8 may be produced on Samsung's 3nm Process, although others have said that it may not because it will be too expensive. I've got the 2XL, 4XL and 6 Pro, so just may stick with the 2 yr updates.
    Think I'll wait for the 8. The 7 sounds like a minor update so far, hardware wise. Some have speculated that the 8 may be produced on Samsung's 3nm Process. I've got the 2XL, 4XL and 6 Pro, so just may stick with the 2 yr updates.
    Same here, I only got the even numbers Pixels.

Still using my 4 XL, I'm having a hard time parting with it 😅

But I'm probably gonna use my 6 Pro very soon now that Android 13 has finally ironed out the bugs of 12.

I'm still slightly worried about the battery life and cell reception though.
    I've been testing MVK that is under volted and it has cleaned up a lotttt of the heat this phone use to give me. And he's UV the modem as we speak. We playing with 🔥. 🤣 Android 13 and MVK have honestly solved 96% of my problems I had with this Raven.
    Nope. Same Modem I read. And No 50MP shots really left a terrible taste in my mouth. 12MP is 12MP I don't care if it's BINNED or not. My 3aXL took better pictures and that really burnt me.
    My wife and I will likely either be waiting for the Pixel 8 Pro / XL / SuperMondo, or potentially until sometime after all security updates stop for the Pixel 6 Pro, so sometime late 2026 or early 2027. :D

Edit: We did similar for the Pixel 1/XL - didn't update until after it stopped receiving monthly updates.