How To Guide [WIN/MAC/LINUX][GUIDE] Moto G Stylus 5G Firmware Flashing / Restoration Guide

Search This thread
Part 1

Join my Telegram!

Device Profile:
Code:
Disclaimer: Following these instructions -MAY- void the warranty (if you haven't already) and I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone. Do it at your own risk.

I am writing this because on my first day of owning the device, I somehow ran into an error stating "No valid operating system could be found."

If you can get into fastboot mode, this guide is for you. If not, PM me and we'll work through that together so I can write up a guide for that as well.

boot_red2.png

ALL VARIANTS:

ATT:

Boost:

Cricket:

RETUS:

TMO:

Tracfone:

Last edited:
Reactions: taadow1030
Part 2

Windows Method

To interface with the bootloader, download Android SDK Platform Tools from here. To access the bootloader, shut down your device. Hold Vol - & Power until the bootloader screen shows. From here, you can use fastboot to flash your device.

Download FlashFile2Bat converter from here. Place 'flashfile.xml' from firmware package into the directory with convertor.bat and run 'converter.bat'. This will output a file 'flashfile.bat' which can be used to re-install the firmware.

Copy the firmware files into the Platform Tools folder and run 'flashfile.bat'!

Last edited:
Part 3

MacOS Method

As a prerequisite please make sure you have the XCode Command Line utilities installed. If not, run this command:

Code:
$ xcode-select --install

To interface with the bootloader, download Android SDK Platform Tools from here.

To access the bootloader, shut down your device. Hold Vol - & Power until the bootloader screen shows.

Code:
$ cp ~/Downloads/platform-tools/fastboot /usr/local/bin/

From here, you can use fastboot to flash your device.

Install motoflash2sh from here to convert the flashfile.xml to a bash script using this command:

Code:
$ pip3 install https://github.com/dlenski/motoflash2sh/archive/master.zip
  1. Unpack zip file containing Motorola system image
  2. Run motoflash2sh to convert the flashfile.xml to flashfile.sh
  3. Inspect and/or run the flashfile.sh to execute the equivalent fastboot commands.
Code:
$ unzip XT2131-1_DENVER_TMO_11_RRE31.Q3-60-47_subsidy-TMO_UNI_RSU_QCOM_regulatory-DEFAULT_cid50_CFC.xml.zip -d /tmp/unpacked
$ motoflash2sh /tmp/unpacked/flashfile.xml
Wrote shell script with 26 fastboot steps to /tmp/unpacked/flashfile.sh

Last edited:
Part 4

Linux Live CD Method

I have created a custom Live CD with all the tools needed to maintain and compile software/firmware for Android devices. This is what I use to compile my kernels, boot images, and restore my devices using fastboot. It is also pre-configured with the necessary tools to compile AOSP and many other ROMs. A complete list of ALL software packages and changes from the Lubuntu base is available in the repo.

1. Unpack zip file containing Motorola system image
  2. Run motoflash2sh to convert the flashfile.xml to flashfile.sh
  3. Inspect and/or run the flashfile.sh to execute the equivalent fastboot commands.

Code:
$ unzip XT2131-1_DENVER_TMO_11_RRE31.Q3-60-47_subsidy-TMO_UNI_RSU_QCOM_regulatory-DEFAULT_cid50_CFC.xml.zip -d /tmp/unpacked
$ motoflash2sh /tmp/unpacked/flashfile.xml
Wrote shell script with 26 fastboot steps to /tmp/unpacked/flashfile.sh

Last edited:
No dumb questions here! RETUS would be the North American retail yes. RETAIL would be the global retail version they'd sell everywhere else. Pretty standard for Motorola.
Awesome. Thank you. I purchased 2 of these so I can start dev'ing/bricking one of them. lol

I'll be using Debian as my dev platform. Not a big windoze or Ubuntu fan. Can't wait to get started.

Awesome. Thank you. I purchased 2 of these so I can start dev'ing/bricking one of them. lol

I'll be using Debian as my dev platform. Not a big windoze or Ubuntu fan. Can't wait to get started.
I've bricked twice today and it won't be my last. As long as we have stock firmwares and blankflash we're pretty much good to test any and everything. Are you working on anything interesting? I'd love to test and help out

I've bricked twice today and it won't be my last. As long as we have stock firmwares and blankflash we're pretty much good to test any and everything. Are you working on anything interesting? I'd love to test and help out
I'm having a bit of trouble installing the motoflash2sh. Looks like I just need to change the install path for Debian. Once I get that going, I'm going to start on a port on CarbonRom. Hopefully I'll have it ready once the TWRP gets a little further along. If it goes well, I'll try Resurrection after that. RR is a really difficult port. That's why it's last on the list. lol

837313E2-03B3-433D-9310-E724948E2B75.jpeg

I'm having a bit of trouble installing the motoflash2sh. Looks like I just need to change the install path for Debian. Once I get that going, I'm going to start on a port on CarbonRom. Hopefully I'll have it ready once the TWRP gets a little further along. If it goes well, I'll try Resurrection after that. RR is a really difficult port. That's why it's last on the list. lol

I’ve started working on TWRP as well since I saw the links were down. I got it booting this morning but it needs a little more work

I have a basic tree that compiles and boots the recovery, could be a good starting point for a rom device tree

Reactions: electrofryed
Apr 8, 2018
I've never built TWRP (or anything else) from source, is yours much different from Electimons TWRP? His bricks if you switch slots, but the backup to SD works.

Smil3yWulf

Jan 25, 2015
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
I have problems with the drivers on my PC, i install Moto USB drivers v6.4. And it's not been recognized by moto composite ADB in my device manager, also in fastboot neither, i get fastboot Denver s with yellow mark

I have problems with the drivers on my PC, i install Moto USB drivers v6.4. And it's not been recognized by moto composite ADB in my device manager, also in fastboot neither, i get fastboot Denver s with yellow mark
Moto g stylus 5G kind of going through the same stuff that sounds like. Although I'm finally making some progress I think I'm more or less making progress by accident by bumbling my way through teaching myself all this LOL

Ajpia666

Oct 2, 2021
get the error no valid operating system. But my bootloader is locked and I can't reunlock it because I can't select oem unlocking in developer options due to no operating system. And I've tried flashing the last use firmware on it and i don't have permission. I've tried many different stock roms including the latest, I've tried the rescue software and it fails every time it gets to flashing the partition. Any suggestions?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
get the error no valid operating system. But my bootloader is locked and I can't reunlock it because I can't select oem unlocking in developer options due to no operating system. And I've tried flashing the last use firmware on it and i don't have permission. I've tried many different stock roms including the latest, I've tried the rescue software and it fails every time it gets to flashing the partition. Any suggestions?
Did you relock it or did it lock itself?

Top Liked Posts