Win32 Disk Imager error

Search This thread

grrmisfit

Jun 15, 2010
st. louis
those having card issues make sure your using card reader that isnt built in like in laptops etc.. i have a component reader and laptop and it never would work on the laptop but works every time on other

rehuxley

Dec 1, 2010
I also had this problem and found a disk writer called winami85.exe and that did the job for me.

Hi everyone!

I am brand new here and having trouble with Win32diskimager as well. I get the Error 8 every time I try to lauch the win32diskimager.exe file. (I've even tried the older versions, same thing.)

I tried running the SDformatter as well & that didn't seem to help.

Write protection is off.

I tried all the suggestions I've discovered searching for that error. Any ideas what I am doing wrong???

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

kafepuya

Aug 3, 2011
St. Cloud
Here are some things to know about using Win32DiskImager:

- Fist, format the card using Panasonic SD Formatter.

- Use Win32DiskImager v1. Version 2 & 3 gave me error 8.

- Save the Win32DiskImager folder right on top of \C (e.g. Computer >> \C >> Win32DiskImager Folder.

- Save the .img file you want to burn to the same folder as Win32DiskImager.

I had plenty of trouble making an CWM 3.2.0.1 bootable SD card, and that's what worked for me. Good luck!

davidr521

Oct 16, 2010

- Save the Win32DiskImager folder right on top of \C (e.g. Computer >> \C >> Win32DiskImager Folder.

I had plenty of trouble making an CWM 3.2.0.1 bootable SD card, and that's what worked for me. Good luck!
Thank you thank you thank you!!

Been futzing with this for two days. You saved my cakes!

buugiewuugie

May 6, 2011
I had the same Error 8 issue. I was getting frustrated. It had worked fine before on this laptop. And actually worked fine earlier today, but I reformatted the MicroSD to use for something else. Then I needed it for the nook again. I went to use Win32diskimager once more and I got the Error 8. The SD Formatter 3.1 fixed the SD card and I was able to get it to work. Thanks guys

link to the SD Formatter
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
Choose Mac or PC
Accept the User Agreement to start the download.

Thanks SO much for this thread. I thought I was going to blow a blood vessel. :D

skyliner33v

Dec 22, 2011

Thank you so much!. This was the right fix!

DonGateley

Jul 17, 2011
Old thread, I know, but Google might bring you here anyway. To be able to write SD cards and avoid the Lock Errors I first use the interactive DOS utility diskpart to clean it. As in:

C:\Wherever\You\Are> diskpart
DISKPART> list disk

you'll get a listing of the disks attached including the SD with a number associated with each. Determine which number is your SD. It is very important you get that right or you will unceremoniously erase whatever disk you mis-enter. In my case the SD is number 1. Then:

DISKPART> select disk 1
DISKPART> clean
DISKPART> exit

Now the SD is wiped and not lockable. Win32 Disk Imager will write it without a Lock Error.

Now if I can just figure out how to avoid the Lock Error 5 I get when trying to simply read it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quick fix for error #8

Hey guys!

All you need to do is download Panasonic SD Card Formatter 2.0. Do a quick format, and it will work for you.

If you are getting error 8, it is most likely you used the SD card for an image previously and the partitions are goofed on it.

Panasonic SD Card Formatter 2.0 fixes that.

Hope this helps!
    I'm receiving the following error when trying to use Win32 disk imager to make a backup copy (read) of my Micro SD card with nookie installed:

"An error occurred when trying to get the devices geometry. Error 8:".

I've done a bit of searching on this but can't find anything. Anybody have any ideas?

Is there a good alternate?

Man it took me HOURS to figure it out. I had the EXACT SAME problem (when trying to copy the auto-nooter img to my sd card).

I think what finally worked was:
    *make SURE you open and run as Administrator (right click on the Disk Imager and select Run as Administrator)
    *AND after you've selected the the sd card drive GET OUT OF IT. Click on any other drive or close that explorer window all together.

I hope this helps. I feel your pain.
    Try a different usb port or sd card reader? Not all of them are the same. Some work reliably and some are terrible...
    I'm receiving the following error when trying to use Win32 disk imager to make a backup copy (read) of my Micro SD card with nookie installed:

"An error occurred when trying to get the devices geometry. Error 8:".

I've done a bit of searching on this but can't find anything. Anybody have any ideas?

Is there a good alternate?
    Okay I had the same issue... couldn't get diskimager to work. Several people said use ubuntu live cd... didn't want to. So I found a version of DD that works on windows. I've posted very little so can't post links but a google search for "DD for windows" will find it... it's hosted on chrysocome dot net

If you've used unix dd it's simular and it worked for me.

Hope this helps as an alternative!
    I had that same error 8 on Win32 Disk Imager, so I ran the SD formatter as suggested.

It was smart enough to tell me that the card was write protected.
    I pulled out the card, and sure enough... DOH! :D

The card and adapter were brand new, so I never thought of it myself. :rolleyes:

The disk imager worked fine with it after I slid that little switch on the adapter.