• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Window N90] How to make your 3G USB modem work with your tablet

Search This thread

Darkjesus

Aug 26, 2011
Prague
I recently bought Window N90 tablet and I´ve been trying to figure out how to make my 3G USB modem to work with it. I finally figured it out, so I want to share this solution with others who might want to do this.

Supported 3G modems for Window N90 are (according to specs): E1916, ZTE AC2736, HUAWEI E1750, HUAWEI EC122, HUAWEI EM770W

I have Huawei E1750, so I can only confirm that this guide works for E1750.

1) Install modem drivers/software on your PC
2) Download Hyper Terminal ( just google it, you can download it on few sites ) and unpack it somewhere
3) Run Hyper Terminal - as a name of new connection enter anything you want, click OK
4) In next window named "Connect" in its last column "Connect using" select "HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem" and click OK.
5) In next window with a phone number and other parameters press Cancel
6) Now select File -> Properties -> tab Options -> click on button ASCII Options -> tick second box named "Show input characters on the screen." Click OK twice.
7) Type AT, if you get response OK, that means your modem is communicating.
8) Type AT^U2DIAG? and note the number you get as response in case you ever want to change the settings of modem back
9) Type AT^U2DIAG=0 and press enter. If you get response OK, you just set up your modem to be acting only as a modem, not a card reader/CD drive

Now you can connect your 3G modem to USB port of your tablet and use it to connect to internet.

If you ever want to change the behavior of your modem back to way it was, follow this guide from beginning, but instead of AT^U2DIAG=0 use AT^U2DIAG=xxx - where xxx is number you got from AT^U2DIAG? command.

Hope this helped someone :)

Darkjesus

Aug 26, 2011
Prague
One more thing, you will need to disable SIM PIN request before you use your modem with your tablet. Here´s how to do it:

You have to disable the PIN on SIM card, either through Windows and some Connection suite for your modem or you can do it through Hyper Terminal:

1) lets figure out if SIM inserted in your modem is PIN locked, in Hyper Terminal type:
AT+CPIN?
- if PIN is active, you should get response "+CPIN: SIM PIN", if its not, you will get "+CPIN: READY"
2) to disable PIN lock of your SIM card, type:
AT+CPIN=1234 (where 1234 is your PIN code) - you should get "OK" in response, then type:
AT+CLCK="SC",0,"1234" (where 1234 is again your PIN code) - you should get "OK" in response

your SIM card should now have PIN code requests disabled.

ashishk2911

Feb 19, 2010
Mumbai
Hi Darkjesus,
I'm planning to buy Sony Tablet S, either the Wifi or Wifi+3g model. What I would like to know is whether the method you posted will work with it if I want to use a Data Card (EVDO) to connect to the internet on the go.

Thanks,
Ashish K.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently bought Window N90 tablet and I´ve been trying to figure out how to make my 3G USB modem to work with it. I finally figured it out, so I want to share this solution with others who might want to do this.

Supported 3G modems for Window N90 are (according to specs): E1916, ZTE AC2736, HUAWEI E1750, HUAWEI EC122, HUAWEI EM770W

I have Huawei E1750, so I can only confirm that this guide works for E1750.

1) Install modem drivers/software on your PC
    2) Download Hyper Terminal ( just google it, you can download it on few sites ) and unpack it somewhere
    3) Run Hyper Terminal - as a name of new connection enter anything you want, click OK
    4) In next window named "Connect" in its last column "Connect using" select "HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem" and click OK.
    5) In next window with a phone number and other parameters press Cancel
    6) Now select File -> Properties -> tab Options -> click on button ASCII Options -> tick second box named "Show input characters on the screen." Click OK twice.
    7) Type AT, if you get response OK, that means your modem is communicating.
    8) Type AT^U2DIAG? and note the number you get as response in case you ever want to change the settings of modem back
    9) Type AT^U2DIAG=0 and press enter. If you get response OK, you just set up your modem to be acting only as a modem, not a card reader/CD drive

Now you can connect your 3G modem to USB port of your tablet and use it to connect to internet.

If you ever want to change the behavior of your modem back to way it was, follow this guide from beginning, but instead of AT^U2DIAG=0 use AT^U2DIAG=xxx - where xxx is number you got from AT^U2DIAG? command.

Hope this helped someone :)