• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Windows 10 Build 15035 Media Builder

Search This thread

vladimirmiff

Nov 10, 2017
I need some help. I’ve installed windows 10 and it works fine but now I want to go back to 8.1. I’ve made a recovery usb with the windows 8.1 files but I can’t get to the usb recovery from boot up. Only way to get to recovery is from within the windows settings. From there I try to get to cmd but it just reboots the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.
I found the solution for this
Microsoft only provides Recovery zip for Surface RT, which contains Windows RT 8.1.
With the steps provided by Microsoft, we can setup an USB stick that boots into Windows Recovery Environment.
However, this Recovery Environment only recognizes Windows 10 for recovery, but what is in the USB is Windows RT 8.1. The discrepancy leads to recovery failure.
Here are my steps:
1. Use jwa4's script, at "Choosing Windows Setup Mode" choose "1. Windows Setup" and continue to create an USB with typical windows setup mode
2. Use the USB in step 1, boot Surface into setup mode, choose "Custom", and delete all the partitions.
3. Leave the setup without installing, so we have a hard drive that is "empty" (file structure corrupted and unbootable)
4. Now, we can use the Windows RT 8.1 Recovery USB to recover the Surface with "Troubleshooting" -> "Reset your PC"

Reactions: hooddy

KingAnbu

Apr 5, 2021
I found the solution for this
Microsoft only provides Recovery zip for Surface RT, which contains Windows RT 8.1.
With the steps provided by Microsoft, we can setup an USB stick that boots into Windows Recovery Environment.
However, this Recovery Environment only recognizes Windows 10 for recovery, but what is in the USB is Windows RT 8.1. The discrepancy leads to recovery failure.
Here are my steps:
1. Use jwa4's script, at "Choosing Windows Setup Mode" choose "1. Windows Setup" and continue to create an USB with typical windows setup mode
2. Use the USB in step 1, boot Surface into setup mode, choose "Custom", and delete all the partitions.
3. Leave the setup without installing, so we have a hard drive that is "empty" (file structure corrupted and unbootable)
4. Now, we can use the Windows RT 8.1 Recovery USB to recover the Surface with "Troubleshooting" -> "Reset your PC"
thank you so much! im at work right now but when i get home i will definitely try this and let you know how it goes. i ended up getting a surface pro 4 for very cheap on ebay even tho it has a cracked screen everything works great and i cant even see the cracks with the screen on. paid alil under $100 for it. i just need to reset the rt so i can hopefully sell it.

jwa4

Jun 2, 2020
Yes I have but I'm not sure how to open it. I tried to run as administrator but it doesn't open.
As far as Media Builder App Pack goes it's not something you run separately, its files are used by the Media Builder to add the apps to the Windows image directly. If you didn't get this menu when using Media Builder then you will not have any apps:
Capture01.PNG

See first post for a screenshot of where App pack files are placed.

Last edited:

amoroboros

May 18, 2015
Do you have your recovery key? http://windows.microsoft.com/recoverykey

Golden Keys will need to be removed to use the 10 setup and you will also need to leave an empty partition for your 10 installation during 8.1 setup - I just split it 50/50. You can try shrinking your existing RT 8.1 partition using disk management but I've found the results to be a little unpredictable when in comes to how much it will shrink.

Did you download the optional app pack? If you don't get this menu then either you didn't download it or the files were not correctly placed:
View attachment 5350857

Dual boot works quite well although on 32GB devices you may quickly run out of storage.
thank you! it's working wonderfully now. I forgot to put the appx in the folder before.
About the performance on the first Surface, I can say it's pretty much the same, although the device warms a tiny bit more than before. Other than that, this brings new life to my old surface.

jwa4

Jun 2, 2020
Hello everyone, congratulations on the guide. Following step by step everything works perfectly, except for the store, any advice?
I attach photosView attachment 5369203
Various old versions of the store have become inoperable over the past few weeks, it appears from the Store icon on your taskbar that you have one of those versions. The media builder and app pack were updated on the 2nd of July to correct this by using a newer version.

Please install the version of Store from here. To install download the file to the device, open the file and click update when prompted. This is the last known version of the Store that will function normally on 15035.

Reactions: hooddy

GigiSaintNYC

Jul 23, 2021
Various old versions of the store have become inoperable over the past few weeks, it appears from the Store icon on your taskbar that you have one of those versions. The media builder and app pack were updated on the 2nd of July to correct this by using a newer version.

Please install the version of Store from here. To install download the file to the device, open the file and click update when prompted. This is the last known version of the Store that will function normally on 15035.
Thank you very much now everything is OK
i just need to figure out compatible apps

alexbabintsev

Jul 26, 2021
I have a problem. Successfully installed windows 10 on surface rt (model 1572), but network, touchscreen, surface keyboard not working. And ui glitches when moving cursor or windows. Can anybody help me figure this out?

jwa4

Jun 2, 2020
I have a problem. Successfully installed windows 10 on surface rt (model 1572), but network, touchscreen, surface keyboard not working. And ui glitches when moving cursor or windows. Can anybody help me figure this out?
Can you describe how you installed it?

It sounds like none of the drivers got installed so I would recommend just rebuilding the image and reinstalling or you could attempt to manually install the missing drivers. I will build a fresh image on this end as soon as possible to verify Media Builder isn't broken somewhere.

alexbabintsev

Jul 26, 2021
I've already tried rebuilding and reinstalling windows 10 several times.

Install process is straight forward - first, i built image using Media Builder - selected target device (1: Microsoft Surface RT), selected NO to all questions to uninstall provisioned apps, selected Yes to place the activation link (which didnt appear on desktop after installation), then selected first windows setup mode (1: Windows Setup (Default)). After building complete created bootable USB. Then booted from usb on Surface and installed windows 10 (while installing it i have ui glitches while moving mouse). After installation and reboot windows 10 is loaded but resolution is 1920x1080, type cover keyboard, touchscreen, wifi not working and i still have ui glitches

Attachments

• doc_2021-07-26_23-30-47.mp4
    979.4 KB · Views: 0
  • video_2021-07-26_23-34-30.mp4
    509.8 KB · Views: 0

alexbabintsev

Jul 26, 2021
Can you describe how you installed it?

It sounds like none of the drivers got installed so I would recommend just rebuilding the image and reinstalling or you could attempt to manually install the missing drivers. I will build a fresh image on this end as soon as possible to verify Media Builder isn't broken somewhere.
How can i install drivers manually?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Works on Lumia 2520?
    The drivers download whith Windows Update?
    Media Builder for 15035 doesn't work for any of the Qualcomm devices at present but I would like it to.

Window 10 15035 will apparently work on a 2520 if the drivers are installed in the right order and at the right time even if its jailbreak bricked. The one success I heard about is light to non existent on details and I don't have a 2520 or any other Qualcomm RT device so I can't help much at the moment. There is also a question if qcpep needs to be replaced with one from for the Lumia 930 (the drivers released so these can run 15035) or not. Some sources say yes, others no.

If anyone works out and documents the procedure let me know and I will update Media Builder.
    To avoid path length limits I recommend this is extracted to a directory in the root of your hard drive, for example "C:\Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder_v1.8a\".

All releases have had the above advice and would have had issues with long path lengths but v1.7 and above are the first ones to actually check. The issues would generally only effect the app pack option but better to be safe.
    that worked thank you so much, is there a guide on how to use the build?. want to make sure i select the correct options.
    got it working, for future references can I downgrade back to 8.0 or 8.1??
    Going back to RT isn't a problem, it can be done via official recovery media or the Windows RT 8.1 Media Builder.
    Try running it again, error 4 is network failure.
    help me link download Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder_v1.8a_zip. thank admin
    Both links are up.
    Windows 10 Build 15035 Media Builder:

15035_MB_00.PNG

15035_MB_01.PNG 15035_MB_02.PNG
    15035_MB_03.PNG 15035_MB_04.PNG
    15035_MB_05.PNG 15035_MB_06.PNG
    15035_MB_07.PNG 15035_MB_09.PNG

This media builder will download Windows 10 Build 15035 from Archive.org, apply common modifications, install apps, install drivers and generate custom installation media ready for use on the selected device.

15035_Win_00.PNG 15035_Win_01.PNG
    15035_Win_02.PNG 15035_Win_03.PNG
    15035_Win_04.PNG 15035_HSP_00.PNG

Depending on the options chosen the result will look like one of the pictures above or something in-between. If the Office 2013 RT HSP option is selected the following will be seen when the desktop is reached for this first time, this part of the installation may take between 5 and 30 minutes depending on the update selection that is made.

Please be aware that Windows 10 Build 15035 is now four years old and it should not be considered as suitable for daily use, aside from being outdated it has numerous bugs and other issues expected of an expired pre-release build. This builder is just for reducing the number of steps you will need to do before trying the build if you are curious about it. Consider running Windows 10 Build 15035 as novelty value only, it will not make any Windows RT device useful.

The use of this media builder or the media it produces is entirely at your own risk.

25/09/2021 - Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder_v1.8b.zip - Download - Mirror: Anonfiles
    - Office 2013 RT Home & Student Plus update lists updated to September 2021.
    - Extracting to a path that contains parentheses will no longer cause a failure.

Not all included apps are tested, some may be end-of-life or otherwise unreliable. Auto app update is disabled by default, if the Store is allowed to update itself to a version newer than that included it will not be able to install new apps from the store.

Known Issues:

- Relies on Archive.org for Windows 10 and Office 2013 RT downloads, unfortunately the download speed can be very slow. Office Language Packs and Updates are downloaded directly from Microsoft and are not affected.

- Cannot currently produce working images for Qualcomm devices (Dell XPS 10, Nokia Lumia 2520 & Samsung Ativ Tab).

- Windows 10 Build 15035 is available in English only, there are no 15035 Language Packs are available. There are one or two third party language packs that were created from other builds but the Media Builder does not support them at this time.

- Display artefacts during Windows Setup on Surface 2. If anyone knows how the Tegra graphics driver can be made to work in Windows PE please let me know. This issue or something similar is also present on Surface RT and probably the other Tegra 3 devices however it is considerably less noticeable.

- If Cortana is removed the Cortana intro page towards the end of OOBE is still present, I have not found a method to remove this page. None of the methods used on more recent versions of Windows apply to this build.

How to use:

The kit is to be run on an x86/x64 PC and not on the target device. On older hardware it can take around one hour excluding download time. To avoid path length limits I recommend this is extracted to the root of your hard drive, for example "D:\Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder_v1.8b\". Once the archive is extracted run "Build.cmd" as administrator and choose your options.

If you already have a copy of Windows 10 Build 15035 from Betaarchive or from Archive.org and do not wish to download again then your existing 15035 archive can be manually placed in "\Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder_v1.8b\Downloads\Windows".

Booting the created media is identical to booting standard recovery media for your device, for example on Surface devices you would power on the device with the USB inserted and the volume button held down.

Using setup media generated by this may require secure boot to be disabled depending on the device in use.

Old Versions:

27/08/2021 - Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder_v1.8a.zip

- Updated ASUS VivoTab RT Drivers.
    - Updated Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11 Drivers.

24/08/2021 - Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder_v1.8.zip
    - Added option to rewrite previously created Windows Media to USB.
    - Minor Fixes.

15/08/2021 - Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder_v1.7.zip
    - Office 2013 RT Home & Student Plus update lists updated to August 2021.
    - Added SHA1 checks on Office Installation files, Language Packs & Update downloads.
    - App Pack now included by default and updated with latest Apps.
    - Possible improvement in reliability of preparing USB Installation Media.
    - Corrected Windows_Media folder misnaming issue.
    - Added path length check.
    - Minor Fixes.

02/07/2021 - Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder_v1.6b.zip
    - Minor Fixes.

21/06/2021 - Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder_v1.6a.zip
    - Minor Fixes.

18/06/2021 - Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder_v1.6.zip
    - Added language selection option on the automated Office 2013 RT installation.
    - Added Office 2013 RT update lists for all available languages.
    - Surfaces RT & 2 drivers updated.
    - Minor Fixes.

11/06/2021 - Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder_v1.5.zip
    - Using "Reset this PC" on Nvidia devices should no longer prevent the device from booting.
    - Using "Reset this PC" does not undo disabled UAC, registry fix for cameras on Nvidia devices and LicensingUI.exe rename.
    - Alternative method to replace sdbus.sys and sdstor.sys on Nvidia devices.
    - Minor Fixes.

16/05/2021 - Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder_v1.4.zip
    - Added option to include automated Office 2013 RT installation (English Only).
    - Added update options for Office 2013 RT (English Only).
    - Splits Install.wim if the file is bigger than 4GB.
    - Added OEM logos.
    - Minor Fixes.

02/03/2021 - Windows_10_15035_Mod_Kit_v1.3.zip
    - Activation option is no longer run manually and will happen automatically when there is an internet connection.
    - Minor Fixes.

11/02/2021 - Windows_10_15035_Mod_Kit_v1.2.zip
    - Added option to create USB installation media.
    - Added option to activate Windows via link placed on Desktop.
    - Minor Fixes.

06/02/2021 - Windows_10_15035_Mod_Kit_v1.1.zip
    - Added option to remove BitLocker.
    - Added option to remove Cortana.
    - Added option to remove Windows Defender.
    - Minor Fixes.

21/01/2021 - Windows_10_15035_Mod_Kit_v1.0.zip
    - Driver Integration for selected device.
    - Replaces sdbus.sys and sdstor.sys with files from RT 8.1 (6.3.9600.16384) on Nvidia devices.
    - Disables UAC.
    - Registry fix for cameras on Nvidia devices.
    - Renames LicensingUI.exe.
    How do I activate Windows?
    Once connected to the internet it will happen automatically eventually if you selected the option during image build, the KMS is not always up though.
    My bad, i was sure i have Surface RT. Everytning works now. Thank you so much
    No problem, glad it worked.

@jwa4 if downloaded for office or language pack is breaks for some reasons so after next launch builder is just skip redownload office and stop if those files are rong. maybe it is good to delete it and redownload?
    I will fix this in the next release but if the downloads for Office got interrupted you can delete the contents of:
    Code:
    D:\Windows_10_15035_Media_Builder v1.6b\Downloads\Office\Downloads\
    I've been looking but I'm not sure how to do it
    by chance you will have the commands I do not want to break anything
    Unfortunatley I have never used any of them, I did briefly try to add the option of applying the Russian Language pack to the mod kit but it caused various issues.
    the store does not work for me, how can I solve it? or how to install apps without the store?

is there a way to go back to w8.1?

View attachment 5267847
    Store is working here, is it possible the store has been updated on your installation? The last version of the Store that will work normally is 11706.1001.26.0. For manual installation you can grab Appx files using https://store.rg-adguard.net/

To go back to 8.1 you can grab the official recovery image for your device from https://support.microsoft.com/surfacerecoveryimage