• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Windows 10 Mobile more dead than alive

Search This thread

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com
But what do you do with a Skype, may I ask you? Do you do acrobatic stunts and meet other people via Skype on your head? :D

I believe, my 9 yo "dumb phone" from Motorola still can receive phone calls, emails etc. (but I never tried since 2010) if I'll find working and active "big" SIM-card. But this definitely not a point! My point is: Lumia 950 (handset costs me about $650 - via 2 years contract extension with AT&T) become unusable for most common tasks. I can't use Skype, I can't control quadcopter with it, I can't even unlock a bicycle from VBikes company! And can't do a lot of other things...

And, finally, I'm really tired from the usual L-950 customers "prayer": "But the camera is outstanding!" No, sir, nothing outstanding for the current times.
I do not use skype. Like I said it merely perspecitive. You cannot live without it. I can.
The thread subject is thread: Windows 10 Mobile more dead than alive? Not Skype.
W10M exists therefor it is alive.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
@nate0, have you read an OP? Or just noticed a topic and began to object what "someone wrong in the internet"? ;)

JFIY ('cause you're not using skype and probably have no idea what is it), "Skype" is a leading video chatting software, purchased by Microsoft for $8.5 Billion. "Skype" especially designed for video chatting, and it works on most of mobile and desktop platforms (not so good as it was before purchase but acceptable) except... Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile.

"Skype' currently maintained and supported by Microsoft; public release with showstopper like this means NO ONE CARES about W10M platform AT ALL, PERIOD!

Do you have any argues against? Please provide.

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com
@nate0, have you read an OP? Or just noticed a topic and began to object what "someone wrong in the internet"? ;)

JFIY ('cause you're not using skype and probably have no idea what is it), "Skype" is a leading video chatting software, purchased by Microsoft for $8.5 Billion. "Skype" especially designed for video chatting, and it works on most of mobile and desktop platforms (not so good as it was before purchase but acceptable) except... Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile.

"Skype' currently maintained and supported by Microsoft; public release with showstopper like this means NO ONE CARES about W10M platform AT ALL, PERIOD!

Do you have any argues against? Please provide.
No I have no argument on this...it is starting to sound like a pity party to me.

mikevespa

May 13, 2017
W10M has not been part of the OneCore development since it was left behind in "feature2".

Your'e wrong because OneCore is available in W10M since the official release of Anniversary Update (14393.x) and also in pre-anniversary update insider builds.
Read the Windows Blog carefully!

DECEMBER 2015 - Build 11082
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/12/16/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-11082/
"This includes the changes that have also been going out as cumulative updates through Windows Update on your PCs running the Windows 10 November Update as well as on phones running Windows 10 too. We’re also working on some structural improvements to OneCore, which is the shared core of Windows across devices. Essentially, OneCore is the heart of Windows, and these improvements to OneCore make building Windows across PC, tablet, phone, IoT, Hololens and Xbox more efficient. We’re doing some code refactoring and other engineering work to make sure OneCore is optimally structured for teams to start checking in new features and improvements in the new year."

JANUARY 2016 - Build 11099
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-11099/
"This build does not include big noticeable changes or new features yet. Our focus through the holidays was on structural improvements to OneCore, which is the shared core of Windows across devices. The code refactoring and other engineering work we’ve been doing to optimize OneCore is nearing the point where we will be ready for teams to begin checking in new features and improvements. It will still be a few builds before any really noticeable changes show up, depending on when teams begin lighting up new features in their areas. We’re excited for Insiders to use this build to validate the work we’ve been doing to OneCore, so give this build a try and let us know of any issues you run into via the Windows Feedback app."

Last edited:

dape16

Jun 20, 2006
Your'e wrong because OneCore is available in W10M since Anniversary Update. Read the Windows Blog carefully!

As I said, W10M is frozen at Redstone 2 and so is it's kernel / OneCore. This version is outdated and do not support new improvements / APIs / features present in the current desktop Redstone 3 branch. And with Redstone 4 not far away W10M and it's "feature2" OneCore will soon be even more obsolete.

In short, W10M is left on the old RS2 OneCore and if MS does not backport new APIs from RS3 and RS4 to W10M (as they said they would), new or updated apps that uses these APIs will not run on W10M.

Removing W10M from the W10 SDK points to MS not going this way and rather kill off W10M asasp.

EDIT: You don't have to quote two year old blog posts from MS. Yes, there was a time when W10M was in sync with current W10 branch and was a part of the OneCore development. That stopped in April last year when W10M was frozen at RS2 and W10M is no longer a part of the current W10 / OneCore development (MS has even removed the APIs related to phone calling in RS3 / Fall Creators Update).

End of discussion?

Last edited:

dape16

Jun 20, 2006
It's not outdated because in RS3/RS4 there is no single new feature which can be useful to a phone.

Except from;
- A newer / much better Edge broswer
- A smarter and more feature-rich Cortana
- Timeline and Cloud Clipboard features, Android / iOS devices only
- All CShell elements, fluent design and other changes in Windows Shell
- Updated APIs making it possible to run every UWP app developed for RS3 and RS4

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
It's a "typical" when you have an only semi-professional, low-skilled (or just an interns, non-paid students) developers on the project, and no quality assurance at all.
So, "lammo hacks, lammo releases but no one cares".

Hevvy

Jul 25, 2008
Porto
For a dead platform has enough updates :)

Newer android systems have fewer updates, even security ones.

Android versions also get stuck with the features that come out, and do not get updated.

At least we have security updates regularly, and all the app's I use are constantly updated, so i´m very happy with the system i use.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
@Hevvy, this topic isn't for someones happiness but about unworkable, unusable functionality of W10M.

P.S. If you wanna regular Android updates, don't buy cheap Chinese "nonames"; buy Google's phones and you'll have too much (as for me) updates ;)

Hevvy

Jul 25, 2008
Porto
@sensboston

yeah i konw, sory to bring some joy to this thread. :)

just wanted to let you know that not everyone is so unhappy with this system.

not only "Chinese" droid´s don´t have updates, lots of suposed good brands, like samsung, lg´s sony´s, etc dont have even half of the updates that windows 10 mobile had.

i wont bother you with my happiness anymore ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I suggest to the moderator of this forum, to close this thread, because it's useless and misleading. W10M is still supported and updated!
    If you don't like W10M anymore, just don't use it!

No reason to close the thread honestly, if you have evidence that it is supported and updated, then post up and let's get a real conversation going. Prove the OP wrong and let's see what MS is doing that you like, or could do better.

We can keep an eye out but I haven't seen anything in this thread that would warrant it being closed.