[Windows 11] Installing WSA with Google Play support

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 1890170

Users of an Android based phone know that basically Google Play is their 'default' app store, and Amazon Appstore - what WSA by default comes pre-installed with - is just a 3rd party store. Both stores offer a wide variety of apps that can be downloaded on the device and cater to many of the user requirements. The main difference between both app stores is the fact that at time of this writing Google Play Store offers 3.8 million apps, whereas Amazon Appstore offers only less than a half million apps.

So if you additionally want to have access to Google Play Store from within WSA then you should install a copy of WSA that comes with Google Play supported. That's the reason why I have created this thread.

Legal Warning:

Adding Google Services and Google Play Store to WSA may potentially be in a legal gray area.

Requirement:

Virtualization must be enabled on your Windows 11 PC.

Take note that before you enable Hyper-V in Windows 11, you need to make sure the Hardware Visualization/ Virtual Technology is enabled in UEFI/BIOS - usually it's called Intel VT-X or AMD-V depending upon the brand of CPU in your system. This is because the option to Enable Hyper-V or its submenus will be greyed out once the Hardware Visualization is disabled.

So, let’s see how to enable virtualization on Windows 11 PC:

• First, go to Start Menu.
  • Now search for Turn Windows features on or off & then hit Enter.
  • After that, enable the Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform option & then click OK.
  • At last, click on Restart now.
Virtualization-Must-be-Enabled.png

How-To Install:

To avoid copy / paste operations please look inside here.

Result:

If WSA got properly set up, then you run Google Play from Windows Start.

signin-google-play-windows-11.png

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1890170

If you would carefully read the guide linked to, then you'll not run into any problems. :)

BTW: As a workaround you could add location ( fullpath name !!! ) of adb.exe to PATH variable of Windows OS.

Last edited by a moderator:

adoptedmfr

Aug 4, 2017
I know this might be stupid to ask, but is it safe to update subsystem from the windows store? After you've done this much needed hack.... what were they thinking? Amazon? .... Is it safe or do I just live w/ not ever updating it.

XDAEV.png

iamextreme

Jul 11, 2011
Followed the steps....worked like a charm. Google play store and all apps that require google services are working :)

domboy

Jul 10, 2013
I still hope one day someone smarter than me will explain why simply side-loading Google Play doesn't work on a stock WSA install. In other words, why we can't follow steps similar to Amazon Fire tablet users to side-load Google Play. Well, I should say it technically does work as I initially went that route, but one is unable to sign-in to Google Play.

I followed a different guide than the one listed here, but they are all basically the same result - a custom repackaged WSA that can no longer update via the store... manual updates required (which may or may not be a bad thing).

Reactions: smsgupshup

jldegouy

Jul 8, 2022
hello
I have a lot of problems installing wsa on W11. finally, it's ok. Explanation is :
A lot of components were absent after the transition from W10 to W11..
last problem:
WSA is ok in admin account.. (thank you)
but for everyday work, I use a standard account (not admin) and in this account WSA doesn't appear..
is it normal, is there a solution?
thank you for help.

PeterGroft29

Sep 30, 2022
To create the WSA working folders, use these steps:

Open File Explorer.
Click on This PC from the left pane.
Under the “Devices and drivers” section, double-click the main drive (C).
Click the New menu and select the Folder option.
Name the folder WindowsSubsystemAndroid and press Enter.
Name the folder GAppsWSA and press Enter.
Name the folder ADB and press Enter.
Name the folder WSADownloads and press Enter.

Hope This Works,
Peter

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 1890170
    Users of an Android based phone know that basically Google Play is their 'default' app store, and Amazon Appstore - what WSA by default comes pre-installed with - is just a 3rd party store. Both stores offer a wide variety of apps that can be downloaded on the device and cater to many of the user requirements. The main difference between both app stores is the fact that at time of this writing Google Play Store offers 3.8 million apps, whereas Amazon Appstore offers only less than a half million apps.

So if you additionally want to have access to Google Play Store from within WSA then you should install a copy of WSA that comes with Google Play supported. That's the reason why I have created this thread.

Legal Warning:

Adding Google Services and Google Play Store to WSA may potentially be in a legal gray area.

Requirement:

Virtualization must be enabled on your Windows 11 PC.

Take note that before you enable Hyper-V in Windows 11, you need to make sure the Hardware Visualization/ Virtual Technology is enabled in UEFI/BIOS - usually it's called Intel VT-X or AMD-V depending upon the brand of CPU in your system. This is because the option to Enable Hyper-V or its submenus will be greyed out once the Hardware Visualization is disabled.

So, let’s see how to enable virtualization on Windows 11 PC:

• First, go to Start Menu.
    • Now search for Turn Windows features on or off & then hit Enter.
    • After that, enable the Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform option & then click OK.
    • At last, click on Restart now.
    Virtualization-Must-be-Enabled.png

How-To Install:

To avoid copy / paste operations please look inside here.

Result:

If WSA got properly set up, then you run Google Play from Windows Start.

signin-google-play-windows-11.png
    Collected all variants of WSA + PlayMarket and magisk.
    Installation: unzip the archive and run install.ps
    I still hope one day someone smarter than me will explain why simply side-loading Google Play doesn't work on a stock WSA install. In other words, why we can't follow steps similar to Amazon Fire tablet users to side-load Google Play. Well, I should say it technically does work as I initially went that route, but one is unable to sign-in to Google Play.

I followed a different guide than the one listed here, but they are all basically the same result - a custom repackaged WSA that can no longer update via the store... manual updates required (which may or may not be a bad thing).