• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Windows 11 leak/rumor megathread

Search This thread
Welcome to the official thread for discussing all things leaks/rumors related to Windows 11. We're currently expecting Microsoft to announce Windows 11 on June 24, and before we get started, you may want to take a look at what we already know about the new OS. Now, onto the leaks and rumors.

Windows 11 will have rounded corners​

Alright, so this is mentioned in our dedicated Windows 11 page, but we've actually gotten a look at these rounded corners a couple of times. All the way back in November 2020, Microsoft added some mockups of apps with rounded corners to the Tips app on Windows 10, which Windows Latest was quick to spot. We can see it in places including a Wi-Fi connection flyout and the Settings app. One thing that's interesting about this particular leak is that there are some other UI elements we have yet to see. For example, the Settings app has its own icon in the title bar, but currently, apps only show their name here.
Windows-Update-mockup.jpg

Later, in April of this year, Microsoft posted a tweet with a picture of Windows Terminal running. Once again, the app had rounded corners, which aren't officially available. The tweet was then deleted, but not before the aforementioned Windows Latest spotted it.
Windows-Terminal-rounded-corner.jpg

And we've seen it yet again in a blog post ahead of this year's Build event, where Microsoft included a tiny "Hello world!" app window using rounded corners.

Windows Central's Zac Bowden has also shared some mockups of what the rounded corners might end up looking like in "Sun Valley", which is the codename for the visual refresh that we're expecting with Windows 11. This also includes a floating Start menu, instead of it being right next to the taskbar. We've also heard that there may be a whole new Start menu entirely, but what that looks like is a mystery. It's reported to be inspired by what we saw on Windows 10X before it was cancelled.
EuSPgBmXIAAxIzE.jpeg

Revamped Action Center​

Another thing we've seen in leaks is a new Action center design, which seems to be designed to improve the experience for touch screens. In this animation captured by Windows Latest, you can see how it will apparently be possible to drag to expand the quick actions panel in the Action center.
New-Action-Center.gif

We've also had the chance to see a new Action center in Windows 10X, and Microsoft says it's bringing some elements of Windows 10X to regular Windows, so it's possible it will look a bit more like this image from Windows Central:
View attachment windows-10x-ac.webp
In fact, in some Windows Insider builds, it's been possible to enable an Action Center that looks more similar to this (though it requires some tinkering), so it's also safe to assume we'll see something along these lines.

More customization​

One thing that was spotted very recently is support for changing the appearance for the touch keyboard in Windows 11. Based on the leaks, you'll be able to set a background image your the keyboard, but also change the color of the key overlays, labels, and borders. This makes quite a bit of sense as Microsoft owns SwiftKey, a popular Android and iOS keyboard that also offers customization options in this vein.
Ews1ZxcWgAAjTK9.jpeg

On the topic of customization, Twitter user Albacore also noted that you might be able to use Windows Spotlight as your desktop background. Right now, Windows Spotlight is only available for Windows 10 on the lock screen, and it lets you see a different image every day, sometimes themed around holidays around the world.

And beyond visual customization, Albacore also spotted a "Device usage" page in the Settings app, which lets you specify how you plan to use your computer. Windows 10 already asks you about this when you set it up for the first time, but it looks like you might be able to change it whenever you'd like with this feature.
EwsrpOwVIAIgumJ.jpeg

Battery usage details​

One more feature uncovered by Albacore towards the end of last year was a new design for the battery usage page in the Settings app. This will give users more detailed insights into how battery has been used during the last seven days or 24 hours. You can also see the screen-on and screen-off time, and time spent in sleep mode.
EpNpW7XXUAEcN8X.jpeg

A new Microsoft Store​

According to a report from Windows Central, Microsoft is planning to overhaul the Store to allow unpacked Win32 apps to be published on the Store. It will also allow developers to use their apps and updates on their own content delivery networks, and it'll also be possible to use third-party commerce platforms. This should help the more reluctant developers transition to the Store, and make it a hub for all the apps you're used to installing.

Of course, the Store app itself will also be updated visually to fall in line with the rest of the UI elements in Windows 11, but we have yet to see that in action.

Microsoft itself might have teased some improvements to the Microsoft Store. A few weeks ago, the company talked about the gaming experience on PC on its Xbox Wire blog, and promises improved "install reliability and faster downloads". Currently, installing games using the Xbox app on Windows 10 uses the Microsoft Store to power downloads and installs behind the scenes, so this announcement could be hinting at some improvements on that front. It's true that downloading apps from the Microsoft Store can be a clunky experience, so hopefully, this also turns out to be true.

That's all the stuff we've seen for now, but we're bound to see more and more over the next few months. Once Microsoft acknowledges Windows 11 and begins releasing preview builds, more and more bits will likely begin to surface.

strongst

Senior Moderator / Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
It is not available! and i know it is a hardware.
I want to know i can be added it in to my existing lap
You should check the manufacturer if there's a TPM module available. Gigabyte for example offers one for a Mainboard, but for laptops it might be not available due to it's nature.

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
You should check the manufacturer if there's a TPM module available. Gigabyte for example offers one for a Mainboard, but for laptops it might be not available due to it's nature.

For a laptop, they either come with them built into the motherboard for CPU's prior to Gen 6, or they come in the CPU, my point with Acer is that theyre cheap laptops and so if it wasnt there at launch, you wont be adding it later.

Laptops that come with TPM from that age were in some business model Dell/HP/Toshiba, but VERY rarely in Acer...read earlier comment about acer being cheap

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
For a laptop, they either come with them built into the motherboard for CPU's prior to Gen 6, or they come in the CPU, my point with Acer is that theyre cheap laptops and so if it wasnt there at launch, you wont be adding it later.

Laptops that come with TPM from that age were in some business model Dell/HP/Toshiba, but VERY rarely in Acer...read earlier comment about acer being cheap

LR7875

Jun 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Xiaomi Mi Pad
Hands up who thinks Microsoft will be stupid enough to really enforce TPM 2.0 as a Windows 11 requirement and alienate better than 80% (conservative) of their actual market?

If the plan is to enforce better security, i wonder how thats going for them since theres already workarounds about (including grafting a certain .dll to bypass the TPM restriction)....then their decision is orders of magnitude of stupid beyond that time they all told us no one used a Start Menu anymore....

Surely the TPM requirement will die a horrible death before October

No one is that silly to enforce it, not even them....
This worked for me

Last edited:

Is any chance to use external tpm, like usb drive.

I have seen in amazon. But I don't know it will work

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
You know what i really think is missing?

Yet another Windows 11 Upgrade checking utility, because theres not enough of these things, to tell us that about 70%+ of people wont be eligible to upgrade to it :)
Windows 11 is just a way to boost new PC sales.
Windows 10 will be supported till October 14th, 2025

Reactions: 73sydney

zbaracki

You know what i really think is missing?

Yet another Windows 11 Upgrade checking utility, because theres not enough of these things, to tell us that about 70%+ of people wont be eligible to upgrade to it :)
My personal guess is we won't see another utility for a while until they collate and analyze enough data from users on 'borderline' hardware (ryzen 2000 series, intel 7th gen). Supposedly this is one of the key targets for this early beta, since they meet the requirements feature-wise, but have limited manufacturer support due to being 'old'.

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
New gripe, yesterday after the latest update on Windows 11, the hateful new context menu (both on desktop and in explorer)is back and being enforced

Probably designed by some millennial gui wunderkind who stabs at a tablet like a dumb monkey has no idea about how stupid and productivity sapping that stupid menu is...having to click Show More Options all the time....

We use desktops for Windows in the real world asshat

You could get rid of by disabling Launch Folder Windows In A Separate Process, but thats seems to no longer be the case

Making me want to revert to Windows 10 and stay there at this point, they can stick their feedback and telemetry from us testers where the sun doesnt shine because they already knew we hated that and most had disabled it. This is the Start Menu all over again Microsoft:"we have telemetry data showing no one uses the start menu". 3 years later afetr several 3rd parties have made plenty off start menu replacements, they put it back (although still a reduced crappy and hobbled shadow if its former and useful self)

For anyone else who wants to throw their PC out of a Window after the latest update, heres the solution, though it alters the taskbar as well:

Update (7/16/2021):

The latest update, Windows 11 Build 22000.71, appears to have broken the registry hack that uses HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\SeperateProcess.

However, restoring the classic taskbar by setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell\Update\Packages\UndockingDisabled to 1 will still give you the classic File Explorer, along with a Windows 10 taskbar.

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/restore-windows-10-explorer-windows-11

You have to wonder why they ask for feedback if theyre going to ignore it, and now that people are turning the new taskbar and explorer off, whats the point of feedback at all because people will have it disabled for the next update they put out and wont notice any changes

Microsoft...it was better when Bill ran it, and not millennials obsessed with tarting up to make the gui to look pretty

More tweaks for non-millennials who actually need to do some work on their PC here:

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
Planned obsolescence, many PCs can live past 2025.
Yes, but it's not a new thing.
Microsoft provides at least five years of mainstream support, followed by another five years of extended support.
The Windows 10 support lifecycle has a five-year mainstream support phase that began on July 29, 2015

LR7875

Jun 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Xiaomi Mi Pad
Yes, but it's not a new thing.
Microsoft provides at least five years of mainstream support, followed by another five years of extended support.
The Windows 10 support lifecycle has a five-year mainstream support phase that began on July 29, 2015
We have a five year time buffer to get our money ready for buying an 16-core new ryzen threadripper or core i9, better than none

BTW we can still bypass it at least for now

Shadowthor

Jul 18, 2021
New gripe, yesterday after the latest update on Windows 11, the hateful new context menu (both on desktop and in explorer)is back and being enforced

Probably designed by some millennial gui wunderkind who stabs at a tablet like a dumb monkey has no idea about how stupid and productivity sapping that stupid menu is...having to click Show More Options all the time....

We use desktops for Windows in the real world asshat

You could get rid of by disabling Launch Folder Windows In A Separate Process, but thats seems to no longer be the case

Making me want to revert to Windows 10 and stay there at this point, they can stick their feedback and telemetry from us testers where the sun doesnt shine because they already knew we hated that and most had disabled it. This is the Start Menu all over again Microsoft:"we have telemetry data showing no one uses the start menu". 3 years later afetr several 3rd parties have made plenty off start menu replacements, they put it back (although still a reduced crappy and hobbled shadow if its former and useful self)

For anyone else who wants to throw their PC out of a Window after the latest update, heres the solution, though it alters the taskbar as well:

Update (7/16/2021):

The latest update, Windows 11 Build 22000.71, appears to have broken the registry hack that uses HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\SeperateProcess.

However, restoring the classic taskbar by setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell\Update\Packages\UndockingDisabled to 1 will still give you the classic File Explorer, along with a Windows 10 taskbar.

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/restore-windows-10-explorer-windows-11

You have to wonder why they ask for feedback if theyre going to ignore it, and now that people are turning the new taskbar and explorer off, whats the point of feedback at all because people will have it disabled for the next update they put out and wont notice any changes

Microsoft...it was better when Bill ran it, and not millennials obsessed with tarting up to make the gui to look pretty

More tweaks for non-millennials who actually need to do some work on their PC here:

New update is out (22000.100), maybe it fixes some of the issues you brought up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    big data.jpg

A very old picture, long before the word "cloud" was born in the IT, the same was going on with big data, but you can simply say the same for cloud 😊
    Thats my other issue, i have a perfectly good Core i7-4970 (4th Gen) system that i just completed Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 on. 4 cores/8 threads @ 4Ghz. Thats 7 generations behind current. This PC still steals other PC's lunch money

Anyone want to give me a cogent reason why i cant run Windows 11?

Ive been in IT since 8bit, i have a PC that does everything i need and i still havent actually found the limits of it, and never been into aspirational technology...i blame that rotten Apple for this cancer of people wanting a new product every 6 months...if Microsoft tries to go down the route that Apple does and excluding them via hardware age, which is another ****ty trait of theirs, it will end very badly for them. People will switch to free alternatives like Linux in droves, and i'll help them do it...

Like i said, and insane amount of people have a PC capable of running Windows 11 perfectly. The time for Microsoft to go after their new "security agenda/awakening" was when they called halt to Windows 7. Not now....

TPM is set to be a massive fail if they enforce it....
    Obviously, your Core i7-4970 can outperform, say, the supported Pentium Gold 4425Y. Performance is clearly not the issue, and I don't even think Microsoft is pretending that it is. Instead, they're claiming features supported by the chips, including security. I'd bet money that they'll roll back the requirements, at least a bit.

I think they're going to enforce TPM, but I think that the term "massive fail" is relative. The objective of Windows 11 is clearly not the same as Windows 10. Windows 10 was all about getting every Windows user on the same version of Windows. A big thing at the time was Microsoft saying that it didn't want to compete with itself. Every time there was a new version of Windows, it was trying to compete with the old version of Windows.

Windows 11 is more about getting you to buy a new computer. It's not about getting as many people as possible to upgrade anymore; otherwise, they wouldn't have raised the minimum requirements.
    Hands up who thinks Microsoft will be stupid enough to really enforce TPM 2.0 as a Windows 11 requirement and alienate better than 80% (conservative) of their actual market?

If the plan is to enforce better security, i wonder how thats going for them since theres already workarounds about (including grafting a certain .dll to bypass the TPM restriction)....then their decision is orders of magnitude of stupid beyond that time they all told us no one used a Start Menu anymore....

Surely the TPM requirement will die a horrible death before October

No one is that silly to enforce it, not even them....
    I love the look. It's like the best of metro UI with some glassy textures yet familiarity from Windows 10. I'm excited!