Windows 6.5 for Evo? Does anyone know if i can install Windows 6.5 on this phone?

Search This thread

Neotelos_com

Jul 29, 2008
Seattle
Yuck, just wait and see if someone get's Windows Phone 7 for it.
WM6.5 is junk compared to Android and even WP7.

Anyways, I don't foresee it with full drivers anytime soon, we're having enough issues w/ Froyo which Froyo itself is open source.

aussiepunk

Sep 12, 2009
Sunnyvale
WinMo 6.5.3 has a very slick contact management app built in. The ability to quickly switch from Exchange to Gmail to Yahoo to SMS inboxes simply by clicking <right arrow> or swiping to the right is also very slick. There are a lot of well-built MS tools available for 6.5 such as Livemesh Mobile, Word, Excel, OneNote etc. If you have a Windows computer and you work at a company that has all windows servers WinMo 6.5 is not a bad enterprise oriented OS. Facebook + social media apps and games? CRAP but for MS Geeks, it's quite nice.

Full disclosure, I have previously owned TP2, TP, SCH-i760, Treo 700w, SCH-i700 so I'm a little partial to the OS.

mrono

Jun 4, 2009
windows mobile is nice for some things, but android is so much better.

this has been gone over way too many times and people need to search.

Manicmobileaddict

Apr 4, 2009
I'll believe it's 10x better if you can tell me how I can have 7 full screen widgets and just one folder. In winmo the start screen holds apps and folders. You can also put folders in the links on the today screen and that little row of links can open up to multiple pages up to about 80 links I think.

In android you could put 112 folders on the main screens, but nothing else. Those screens would be maxed out. Sounds like android wins, but think of it this way.

You can add all the apps you want to android (all apps screen) or winmo (start screen) limited only by memory. In winmo that goes for folders also. Not so in android.

Let's compare further. Let's say I'm using sense in android so I have 7 screens instead of 5 and have 7 full screen widgets and I compare it to sense in winmo...no that's not fair since in winmo it comes with about 15 fullscreen widgets. Ok, let's say in winmo I don't have sense and use UL and make 7 screens so it's like android and put full screen widgets (lots of free ones out there) on them.

Now I want some folders. In winmo I create them in my start page. What do I do in android? Is there an app out there that holds folders? That would be a good option. Just go to the all apps screen and open that app to see my folders.

elegantai

ok, so I have no opinion on the major topic of this post, but as a suggestion, I mean, you could just use multiple scenes. Then you would have 7 screens for each scene, and to switch you just do like 3 clicks and you have 7 more screens.

Obviously it is a little more work, because you will have to save the scene when you modify, but its some form of accommodation for what you are looking for.

I also think there is something called launcher pro or something on the market that allows you to add more than 7 screens. I am not sure and have never used it.

Sorry if this suggestion in no way accommodates you, just ignore if so.

Manicmobileaddict

Apr 4, 2009
Well,...It's an option. A little bit of a pain in the ass, but I kind of like that. You can expand quite a bit that way. Still a little overcomplicated compared to winmo though, but in effect I guess you're not limited to just seven screens. How many scenes can you create? Is that a memory hog?

elegantai

you should really try something like adw.launcher from the market just to see if you like it. You can have 7 screens but you can change it to have up to 7x7 grid on each screen. It is highly customizable

But I am pretty sure you can have a bunch of scenes, shouldn't affect memory since its only loading one scene at a time.

Manicmobileaddict

Apr 4, 2009
Well, it looks like Windows 95 has now been ported to Android. Why not Winmo? I'm betting some one will do it just because so many say it won't happen, just for the bragging rights.