Windows 7/Vista Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) not load/run; WP not connect

Whatdoyaknow

Jun 25, 2010
GoldenSandsUtopia
If your PC is on a domain (typically a work network) the administrators may have following this MS virus alert KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962007 which stops WMDC dead and windows mobile phones do not install when connected with USB. There are many discussions about this problem around, but non seem to have this solution.

Took me a long time to figure this out - hope it helps. Worked on Windows 7 for me, also works on Vista. I tried to install/uninstall WMDC and WP5 & 6 many times without success. But these would install on my Win7 Home PC without a hitch. Figured it may to with group policy. :cool:

The trick to fix this is, open Regedit on PC.
Right click and select permissions on
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
Select "Owner: TrustedInstaller" Change TrustedInstaller permissions to: Full Control & Read, not inherited

Next right click and select permissions on HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost
Select Owner: System
Change TrustedInstaller permissions to: Full Control & Read, inherited from CurrentVersion

(Actually in the end I changed all permissions in these 2 to Full Control & Read)

Save your work. Reboot and try to connect your windows mobile phone via USB and with any luck WMDC will download (again, even if it installed) and the phone will connect.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Reactions: oucha

oucha

Sep 10, 2011
Sydney
This is not working for me on a new Windows 7 PC. Any ideas?

Made regedit changes and rebooted - checked changes rebooted.

WMDC still not recognizing device