• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Windows Mobile Device Center and Windows 8

Search This thread

4all

Apr 15, 2007

majin

Apr 28, 2006
I found the same problem on Windows 8 (RTM x86) and Office Outlook 2010.
It seems not a simple solution for "ordinary" users.
Even after many setting changes, even after every fix I know was done, WMDC can't sync with Outlook.pst file.

It is the first time I have this kind of ptoblem since many years I use Windows Mobile!!!

Is there someone who knows how to fix that?

Last edited:

majin

Apr 28, 2006
Sync problem on Winodws 8 & Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC)

There is something strange in all this situation.

On PC W8:

Notes are inside Outlook.pst file -> they can be synched.

Calendar, Contacts and Tasks are inside Outlook.pst file -> they can't be synched.

Favorites are files inside the PC in C:\Users\xxxxx\Favorites -> they can be synched.

On PPC WM6.x:

Notes are files inside the main memory at \My Documents -> they can be synched.

Calendar, Contacts and Tasks are inside pim.vol file -> they can't be synched.

Favorites are files inside the PPC in \Windows\Favorites -> they can be synched.

My conclusion is:

Pim.vol file can't be managed by WMDC in Windows 8.

anoano

Oct 1, 2007
possible solution

I had a similar problem with Office 2010 on Windows 7 and I could solve it like this:

1) create new Outlook profile and select it as default

2) as the new profile was automatically created in a different new folder, copy the .PST file into it

3) manually add email accounts if they don’t exist in the new profile

4) uninstall and reinstall WMDC

5) on WM device, export Calendar + Tasks + Contacts on storage card with SKTools (just in case, to have a backup)

6) on WM device, delete Calendar + Tasks + Contacts with SKTools, to avoid duplicates

7) delete all partnerships on PC and WM device

8) sync with WMDC.

I searched a long time for a solution and in my case, the key was to start with a new Outlook profile which probably created all the necessary links to permit WMDC synchronization.

Maybe this helps also on Windows 8.

Good luck.

majin

Apr 28, 2006
They know...

I had a similar problem with Office 2010 on Windows 7 and I could solve it like this:

1) create new Outlook profile and select it as default

2) as the new profile was automatically created in a different new folder, copy the .PST file into it

3) manually add email accounts if they don’t exist in the new profile

4) uninstall and reinstall WMDC

5) on WM device, export Calendar + Tasks + Contacts on storage card with SKTools (just in case, to have a backup)

6) on WM device, delete Calendar + Tasks + Contacts with SKTools, to avoid duplicates

7) delete all partnerships on PC and WM device

8) sync with WMDC.

I searched a long time for a solution and in my case, the key was to start with a new Outlook profile which probably created all the necessary links to permit WMDC synchronization.

Maybe this helps also on Windows 8.

Good luck.

Thank you.

I did know about that, in fact I tryed this procedure too... but it doesn't work.
On Windows 8 the problem seems to be another one.

I called Microsoft customer care. They know about this issue and they are working on it.
So, they told me to wait.
To be honest, I didn't understand if they will release somenthig...

otherside

Apr 17, 2007
Thank you.

I did know about that, in fact I tryed this procedure too... but it doesn't work.
On Windows 8 the problem seems to be another one.

I called Microsoft customer care. They know about this issue and they are working on it.
So, they told me to wait.
To be honest, I didn't understand if they will release somenthig...

They didn't bother fixing it for WIN7x64 so I wouldn't count on it.