Windows Mobile on Android is it possible?

Search This thread

depawlur

Mar 18, 2008
Brooklyn
Hi, I'm on Sprint phone carrier and I really want the HD2 phone, but I don't want to switch to another carrier, but Sprint said they are going to release HTC Supersonic phone which suppose to have same physical specs as HD2 but AMOLED screen and !no! Android! I don't want the android! I've been using WM since age of 5! I don't know what to do, so depressed. If it could be possible to dump HD2 rom and put it on HTC Supersonic... that could be cool... please tell me if something like that is at least theoretically possible.
:(

DaveTheTytnIIGuy

Aug 28, 2008
Sacramento, California
It's incredibly unlikely, if not impossible, to put Windows Mobile on a device that didn't ship with it. In fact, no one's ever done it before, because it's way to difficult. The biggest problem is that Windows Mobile lacks a HAL, meaning that the kernel must directly support the hardware. This means that Windows Mobile ROMs are highly device dependant, and will not work on other devices for which they were not made for. In short, it's not going to happen. You'd have better luck purchasing a popular HTC Windows Mobile device and hoping someone ports Android to it. Sorry...

Coburn64

Aug 6, 2009
Boonah
www.coburndomain.net
It's not possible to run Windows Mobile on Android devices. While there has been ports to do the reverse (Android on WM) like AndrOMINA, the hardware has to support Windows Mobile (which some CPUs don't) and the SPL (Secondary Program Loader) has to be configured to boot the WM ROM.

Android devices have their NAND Chips divided into various partitions, however WM has it all-in-one partition (correct me if I'm wrong).

Why do you want Windows Mobile on an Android device? Unless you know your techie stuff, pay Microsoft for the Windows Mobile source code, compile and test it on your Android device, not to mention the tasks of flashing, rooting, etc.

In other words, if you want Windows Mobile, go buy a WM phone that's out on the market today. Otherwise, if you get an Android phone, get used to android.

Windows Mobile will eventually die, while open source goodness will march on. (This is just my personal opinion, I don't hate Windows Mobile, but it's closed source and you can't do as much as you can with Android).

Cheers.

Reactions: vivek201

depawlur

Mar 18, 2008
Brooklyn
Windows Mobile will eventually die, while open source goodness will march on. (This is just my personal opinion, I don't hate Windows Mobile, but it's closed source and you can't do as much as you can with Android).

Cheers.

I ran Android on my phone and played around with it... i didn't really liked it because it's not as customizable as windows mobile. Like I changed the registry on my phone and now I have free tethering on Sprint where I have to pay something like $40 to use it... on Android I simply couldn't find the calibration tool because my touch screen is a little messy. I have nothing against Android or Iphone OS, but I preffer Windows Mobile more for it's customizability so to say. Also I have perfect set of software for it that I only going to use... I hope windows mobile will survive and continue living... also i hope android will progress too.

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
USA
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge
I ran Android on my phone and played around with it... i didn't really liked it because it's not as customizable as windows mobile. Like I changed the registry on my phone and now I have free tethering on Sprint where I have to pay something like $40 to use it... on Android I simply couldn't find the calibration tool because my touch screen is a little messy. I have nothing against Android or Iphone OS, but I preffer Windows Mobile more for it's customizability so to say. Also I have perfect set of software for it that I only going to use... I hope windows mobile will survive and continue living... also i hope android will progress too.

Why do people hate WinMo though?
Its pretty great and the experience is good, if you talk about WinMo in a Iphone or Android forum they will act like you said a forbidden word and vice-versa.

Reactions: KitC4t

depawlur

Mar 18, 2008
Brooklyn
Its pretty great and the experience is good, if you talk about WinMo in a Iphone or Android forum they will act like you said a forbidden word and vice-versa.

Haha, that's true... I can understand those people, it's simply because they don't know all the features of WinMo and all smooth experience of Iphone or Android is a big + for those OS, after them you look at WinMo as a shabby and old-style OS, but... I like this feature on my phone for example: If i don't have my phone with me or it's charging in the bedroom i can simply access it over the internet and just drag'n'drop whatever files i need! Or login to my phone and check my messages, not even getting up from the couch or touching the phone!
This is a great + of WinMo and a grat - of other platforms. Other phones have cool stuff too like Google app store and Iphone store...

JAguirre1231

I don't actually use the phone, I just put Roms on it for my brother.I may play around with it though. I've owned a Iphone, touch pro and now have a Dream.Can't wait for that X10 though.

Personally waiting for the dragon/bravo, a 4in. screen just seems TOO big. There's good big, then there is TOO big, the x10 is verging on TOO big. Great for typing, not so much for fitting in pockets.

Jun 22, 2008
Louisville, KY
Even if its not possible to run full blown Windows Mobile on an Android device, is there a way to emulate Windows Mobile within it? I have a large catalog of medical programs from WinMo that aren't yet available for Android and I really wish I could still use them. They're so useful, I'm half tempted to carry my old Tilt around without its SIM card. I would certainly pay for a program that let me use these old programs on my Android device and I believe others would too.

z33dev33l

Oct 17, 2008
Austin, TX
It's not possible to run Windows Mobile on Android devices. While there has been ports to do the reverse (Android on WM) like AndrOMINA, the hardware has to support Windows Mobile (which some CPUs don't) and the SPL (Secondary Program Loader) has to be configured to boot the WM ROM.

Android devices have their NAND Chips divided into various partitions, however WM has it all-in-one partition (correct me if I'm wrong).

Why do you want Windows Mobile on an Android device? Unless you know your techie stuff, pay Microsoft for the Windows Mobile source code, compile and test it on your Android device, not to mention the tasks of flashing, rooting, etc.

In other words, if you want Windows Mobile, go buy a WM phone that's out on the market today. Otherwise, if you get an Android phone, get used to android.

Cheers.

Question, have you ever used a windows mobile phone? For the record WinMo is already dead, it died at 6.5 and likely isnt coming back in any form. We have windows phone 7now which is an entirely different OS altogether but has nothing to do with WinMo other than the distributor. Windows mobile is the single most customizable phone operating system out there. It's the only one you can customize every single aspect was. The main problem with it is you have to customize it before its really functional. Windows phone, though it lacks customization has a nicer UI than android or iphone by default and is capable of running much more powerful applications than android. I mean pick your poison but at least go into a conversation knowing what you're talking about but android though open is nowhere near as open as windows mobile.

MartyLK

Apr 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
Haha, that's true... I can understand those people, it's simply because they don't know all the features of WinMo and all smooth experience of Iphone or Android is a big + for those OS, after them you look at WinMo as a shabby and old-style OS, but... I like this feature on my phone for example: If i don't have my phone with me or it's charging in the bedroom i can simply access it over the internet and just drag'n'drop whatever files i need! Or login to my phone and check my messages, not even getting up from the couch or touching the phone!
This is a great + of WinMo and a grat - of other platforms. Other phones have cool stuff too like Google app store and Iphone store...
Not to mention, along with all the good things WinMo is and does, is the excellent battery life. I have been using Android ROMs on my HD2 since they were available, and I also have OEM Android phones, and I recently...like a coupe days ago...re-flashed a WWE WinMo ROM back onto my HD2...hadn't used WinMo in like forever...and the battery life is just purely pleasing. It's so much better than the best Android phone I've ever used.

The biggest issue with WinMo are the apps...or lack thereof. All of the popular apps are missing and what apps there are seem crappy compared to the other systems. The social apps and social integration in WinMo are horrible. But the best thing I've found for WinMo to keep using it is Uno. LOL...the WinMo version of Uno is by far the best and is actually playable. Most other WinMo games are unusable.

And for WinMo not being open, whether that means the OS, I don't know, but there are tones of customs WinMo ROMs available and the system is actually more open than Android, in my opinion. Had MS stood behind WinMo and supported it for getting app devs like they are with WP7, they would have the best system going. But this brings to mind that WinMo isn't modern like the others are. It doesn't even natively support capacitive multi-touch display tech. That may have played a big role in MS abandoning it in favor of a ground-up new OS.

veli123

Jan 15, 2016
I love Windows 10 Mobile, love Android too. Both OS have - and + Android is open source that can be customized anytime, anywhere. Windows Mobile cannot be customized because it's not open source and only Microsoft can add and remove things in it. W10M is best Windows for mobile devices, you can buy a Lumia device, for example Microsoft Lumia 950. It's the best Lumia I ever seen and works soooo cool :)

merger3

Jun 12, 2017
I used a Windows Mobile device for years and only recently made the switch to Android. I had to do it because of the apps, they just aren't on WM.

Keep in mind Android is highly customizable. When I swapped I used a Windows-esque launcher with squares and a metro design to ease the transition. You can do other things as well to make it a very similar experience, at least in my opinion.

If you really want to stick with WM, and I can't blame you, go for the Nokia Lumia 950. The hardware and specs are pretty high end.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Cheers.