Windows Phone 10 on HTC One M8

Search This thread

reptarsaurusflex

Feb 20, 2015
Manchester, CT
I did something really dumb even though I was advised not to. I managed to get the Windows Phone 10 Technical Preview on my HTC One M8 for Windows. The OS version that got pushed to it simply is not compatible with this hardware and so many things don't work. I want to go back but the Microsoft-provided recovery tool doesn't detect the phone because it was never intended to work with this model. In short, my question is does anyone have a way to just flash an HTC One M8 for Windows back to the factory T-Mobile ROM that it came with out of the box? If so, where do I get it and how can I flash to it? HTC has no recovery tool to speak of for this phone, Microsoft was just as much help, and TMo wants me to pay an insurance deductible before they will replace the thing. I will be ever so grateful if someone can help out.

Thanks!

AR2186

Apr 1, 2013
New York
I did something really dumb even though I was advised not to. I managed to get the Windows Phone 10 Technical Preview on my HTC One M8 for Windows. The OS version that got pushed to it simply is not compatible with this hardware and so many things don't work. I want to go back but the Microsoft-provided recovery tool doesn't detect the phone because it was never intended to work with this model. In short, my question is does anyone have a way to just flash an HTC One M8 for Windows back to the factory T-Mobile ROM that it came with out of the box? If so, where do I get it and how can I flash to it? HTC has no recovery tool to speak of for this phone, Microsoft was just as much help, and TMo wants me to pay an insurance deductible before they will replace the thing. I will be ever so grateful if someone can help out.

Thanks!

Generally I think you are out of luck until they launch the Windows 10TP for HTC M8's. When that happens, you should be able to use the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to re-flash your phone. It looks like it's basically a re-skinned version of the Lumia Software Recovery tool, and it only makes sense for them to release this as well if they are going to be providing a way to recover and flash non-Lumia branded phones in the future.

There is a way to re-flash the HTC One M8 for Windows if you have the ROM, but so far only the Verizon version has leaked. I hope this is not your only phone, because if you wait a month or so you should be able to re-flash using the Microsoft tool

You have absolutely no right to be mad at Microsoft, HTC and/or T-Mobile for the problems. They are completely justified making you pay the deductible to get this fixed, why should they eat the cost of fixing it?

reptarsaurusflex

Feb 20, 2015
Manchester, CT
Don't get me wrong, I don't blame anyone but myself for this. I'm simply surprised that there isn't a recovery option out there in general. Someone could have a problem that isn't their fault at all that could benefit from having this. That being said, I have an open ticket with the HTC dev team. All I really want is access to a ROM that must clearly already exist. The software got on the phone in the first place, right? Of course I am not a dev and probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I apologize if I'm coming off as an ass looking for a hand out. It just seems to me that this is a simple issue with a simple fix. I know from when I had a Lumia device that I could open up the navifirm+ software and download any ROM for any windows phone from any region of the world.

AR2186

Apr 1, 2013
New York
Don't get me wrong, I don't blame anyone but myself for this. I'm simply surprised that there isn't a recovery option out there in general. Someone could have a problem that isn't their fault at all that could benefit from having this. That being said, I have an open ticket with the HTC dev team. All I really want is access to a ROM that must clearly already exist. The software got on the phone in the first place, right? Of course I am not a dev and probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I apologize if I'm coming off as an ass looking for a hand out. It just seems to me that this is a simple issue with a simple fix. I know from when I had a Lumia device that I could open up the navifirm+ software and download any ROM for any windows phone from any region of the world.

Fair enough. Its a bit weird that only Nokia put out any kind of program to re-flash phones, but I have a feeling that the app Microsoft has put out will, going forward, be used to reflash any Windows Phone that is having problems. They kind of need to provide that functionality if they are going to take control of the update process from the carriers (which i know they want to do, whether they actually pull it off remains to be seen).

I'd say just hang in there, you will likely be able to re-flash in a month or so. I hope you can somehow get access to the rom, but there isn't program released to flash it on the phone (though there are ways, look at the Verizon RUU thread. There is also a Youtube video out there showing how to do it)

HD2Owner

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 9, 2009
Neuhausen am Rheinfall
i was the first with htc w8 (tmous) to hack the w10 beta on it if you check my twitter.
the only reason why i even considered to do this is because i have a way out.
that can't be said for public. so why the hell you didn't check if you have
a way to go back to stock before even considering such a highly
experimental thing to your precious device?
sure you can't expect any support from ms or tmous for that scenario.
i flashed back to w81 the next day already because of htc related bugs.

i will restore it for you if you send it to me and pay 2-way shipping.
this is a one time personal offer from me that i will do for you.
contact me via pm if you didn't send it in yet.

let this be a lesson to you guys...

Last edited:

snickler

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 17, 2010
Dub V
www.sinclairinat0r.com

Thanks!

You might be out of luck for now at the moment. I'm sure the TMo ROMS aren't available, otherwise you would be able to. Remember that the trick to update to Windows 10 Preview was AT YOUR OWN RISK due the fact that the phone isn't OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED

kronoskoders

Feb 16, 2015
i was the first with htc w8 (tmous) to hack the w10 beta on it if you check my .
the only reason why i even considered to do this is because i have a way out.
that can't be said for public. so why the hell you didn't check if you have
a way to go back to stock before even considering such a highly
experimental thing to your precious device?
sure you can't expect any support from ms or tmous for that scenario.
i flashed back to w81 the next day already because of htc related bugs.

i will restore it for you if you send it to me and pay 2-way shipping.
this is a one time personal offer from me that i will do for you.
contact me via pm if you didn't send it in yet.

let this be a lesson to you guys...

I'd like to know how you did this instead of sending you my phone.

HD2Owner

Oct 9, 2009
Neuhausen am Rheinfall
sure. by stock rom i mean the original rom meant for the device/carrier.

on verizon w8 -> verizon rom
on at&t w8 -> at&t rom
on tmous w8 -> tmous rom

don't try to flash different carrier rom. it won't work.
all 3 carrier variants have different modelID which is checked before allowing flash.

dans95tbird

Apr 24, 2015
Toledo
HTC One M8 for Windows

sure. by stock rom i mean the original rom meant for the device/carrier.

on verizon w8 -> verizon rom
on at&t w8 -> at&t rom
on tmous w8 -> tmous rom

don't try to flash different carrier rom. it won't work.
all 3 carrier variants have different modelID which is checked before allowing flash.

I have been looking everywhere for the Verizon rom and software so I can reflash my phone. Do you happened to know where I can get these?

HD2Owner

Oct 9, 2009
Neuhausen am Rheinfall
I have been looking everywhere for the Verizon rom and software so I can reflash my phone. Do you happened to know where I can get these?

there: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=55201370&postcount=2

download the htc RUU that i attached to this post and extract with winrar.
place the htc w8 verizon nbh in the extracted RUU folder with filename "RUU_Signed.nbh".
then go into bootloader (power off, then hold vol-&vol+ while pressing power until it vibrates).
it will show white bootloader screen with hardware info.
when the pc installed the drivers for bootloader mode it switches from "serial" to "usb" on the bottom.
then doubleclick the ROMUpdateUtility.exe and it will flash the phone.
everything will be wiped of course.

Attachments

• htc_ruu.rar
    1.3 MB · Views: 316
Last edited:

Tech_Savvy

May 8, 2014
watertown
OnePlus 7T

place the htc w8 verizon nbh in the extracted RUU folder with filename "RUU_Signed.nbh".
then go into bootloader (power off, then hold vol-&vol+ while pressing power until it vibrates).
when the pc installed the drivers for bootloader mode it switches from "serial" to "usb" on the bottom.
since ppl dnt seem to give u a thanks ill spam the thread any say thank and the "thanks" button....ppl appreciate his help!!!

crystaljordan

Feb 23, 2015
The latest build of Win10 works way better on a One M8 btw. I have installed it using the registry method and running it without many problems. So if you have a t-mobile/at&t version of this phone (where there is no RUU availible) with windows 10 installed i advice upgrading to the latest build.

Shockakohn

May 16, 2015
Any luck with Verizon HTC One?

in the new version of windows phone recovery tool, ms added support for htc devices.

I downloaded the newest version, 2.0.3, of the recovery tool. Even though it says it supports HTC devices it still fails to rollback my Verizon HTC M8. I receive the error: "Software Package is not found on server"

This is after the tool recognizes my device and asks me to restart in boot-loader mode.

Anyone else have success with using ver. 2.0.3 with a HTC M8?

Tachi91

Oct 15, 2008
Subartic - Americana
I downloaded the newest version, 2.0.3, of the recovery tool. Even though it says it supports HTC devices it still fails to rollback my Verizon HTC M8. I receive the error: "Software Package is not found on server"

This is after the tool recognizes my device and asks me to restart in boot-loader mode.

Anyone else have success with using ver. 2.0.3 with a HTC M8?

Recognized my T-Mobile M8 and flashed WP8.1 successfully.

germanh

Aug 10, 2010
Not able to update to latest Windows 10 mobile TP build

My HTC One is currently on 10.0.12562.84 (Build 10080). For some reason I am not able to see the latest build 10.0.12648.133 (Build 10149). Any one able to update to the latest build. Any idea why I'm not seeing it still?

Tried using the phone recovery tool to flash back to 8.1 but it says no builds available.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

in the new version of windows phone recovery tool, ms added support for htc devices.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=525569