• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Windows phone 8.x apps on Windows 10 mobile

Search This thread

brankoorelo

Apr 13, 2010
Prilep
Hi all,

Is it possible to install (sideload) old windows phone 8/8.1 system apps on windows 10 mobile?
I was really happy with some older apps like people, photos, lumia camera etc.

Per my understanding this apps are replaced because of UWP apps and continium feature, but their code is still compatible with windows 10 apis, use same system styles and everything.
If it is not possible to replace them, then is it possible to get the code from old apps like people app and create separate custom app? :confused:
I have some experience developing wp8 apps, so I can play arround to :D

Also is it possible to revert back the old style of opening context menus and app bar by modifying registry keys?

MrCego

Aug 24, 2014
Cartagena
In fact, some of them aren't apps like we know now, but only apps embedded, so it's complicated to find XAP. If you wanna replace Groove, for example, you can download Xbox Music Preview, but Contacts hub... Sorry, no.

Enviado desde mTalk

brankoorelo

Apr 13, 2010
Prilep
In fact, some of them aren't apps like we know now, but only apps embedded, so it's complicated to find XAP. If you wanna replace Groove, for example, you can download Xbox Music Preview, but Contacts hub... Sorry, no.

Enviado desde mTalk

Hm, wasn't people app (contacts hub) separate app on windows phone 8.1?
If yes, then there might be a chance to replace or rebuild this app under different name.

Also would be good to explore the os to check if there are hidden apps.. at least I know that the wp8 music app was hidden on wp8.1 :)

saq333

Apr 13, 2017
Chicago
Hi all,

Is it possible to install (sideload) old windows phone 8/8.1 system apps on windows 10 mobile?
I was really happy with some older apps like people, photos, lumia camera etc.

Per my understanding this apps are replaced because of UWP apps and continium feature, but their code is still compatible with windows 10 apis, use same system styles and everything.
If it is not possible to replace them, then is it possible to get the code from old apps like people app and create separate custom app? :confused:
I have some experience developing wp8 apps, so I can play arround to :D

Also is it possible to revert back the old style of opening context menus and app bar by modifying registry keys?

Hey there, did you ever have any luck with this?

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Enviado desde mTalk

Hi there, this sounds like something interesting to try, I miss xbox music. Can I still do this and replace groove? Where can I find this preview?

thanks!