Windows Phone Internals - Unlock bootloader, enable Root Access, create Custom ROM

Search This thread

ChristiSue$

Apr 9, 2019
I would appreciate if anyone coukd help me. I want to root my phone but i woukd love to be fully prepared with all nessasary files/ programs first. I have a lg k8 2018 plus. I am stuck finding a recovery that will work with my device. Plz help

G

GuestK00251

I have Lumia 640 and use windows phone internals I have already unlocked bootloader and have root access enabled.
With all this done, do I have the ability to install Android?

Megiant

May 16, 2019
Joining weaselmc in his question as I face the same on my Lumia 920 - root access enabled and entered mass storage mode but no access to \Data\Users\DefApps. Any idea why? Is there any way to do that?
Actually Yes!
You need to change the permissions in the
Properties > Security
OK, will try. Any special settings or just to have at least read access?
And should I reset that setting after finishing or doesn't matter?
Thanks.

I tried changing the permissions as I have the same problem. Windows tells me I don't have permissions to change the permissions of the object (being the "PHONE\Data\Users\DefApps\AppData" folder. It's a Lumia 950 unlocked using WPInternals and using Windows 10 pc.

So did one of you manage it? How?

EDIT: immediately after posting this managed it. Changed ownership of the DefApps folder containing the AppData folder was possible and gave me access to all containing folders. Needed to repeat it for the folder containing the file I needed and the file itself.

Last edited:

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
I tried changing the permissions as I have the same problem. Windows tells me I don't have permissions to change the permissions of the object (being the "PHONE\Data\Users\DefApps\AppData" folder. It's a Lumia 950 unlocked using WPInternals and using Windows 10 pc.

So did one of you manage it? How?

EDIT: immediately after posting this managed it. Changed ownership of the DefApps folder containing the AppData folder was possible and gave me access to all containing folders. Needed to repeat it for the folder containing the file I needed and the file itself.
great!

ikinal

May 22, 2019
Bad GPT

Hi,

I am a new user of Windows Phone Internals. I am trying to unlock the bootloader of my Lumia 950 XL. The first time I tried it went through the process and failed at the end. If I try again, I immediately get the message Bad GPT. I have tried re-flashing the device a few times using Windows Device Recovery Tool - that succeeds, but I still get the same error if I try to unlock the bootloader again. Any suggestions?

augustinionut

Apr 21, 2015
My unlocked and rooted phone cant get to mass storage mode :D

SOLVED, i reflashed EFIESP.bin partition from a previous backup.

Last edited:

Hemp007

Feb 27, 2019
When you try to unlock the bootloader, the message "Error: Failed to read sector. Exception: 0x00000002" is displayed at the end.
You have to restore through WDRT, when you try to unlock again, the same error. Any thoughts?
Here are screenshots. github.com/ReneLergner/WPinternals/issues/5

Hzlph

Feb 17, 2015
Hi,

I am a new user of Windows Phone Internals. I am trying to unlock the bootloader of my Lumia 950 XL. The first time I tried it went through the process and failed at the end. If I try again, I immediately get the message Bad GPT. I have tried re-flashing the device a few times using Windows Device Recovery Tool - that succeeds, but I still get the same error if I try to unlock the bootloader again. Any suggestions?

I'm here for more or less the same. I've already succeded before getting WoA running on my 950XL but was discouraged because charging was non-existant. now it seems it's been resolved but now I can't do anything. I can't get into mass storage mode (it just restarts to Windows Mobile and thinks its updating). Also, now It says "Bad GPT", regrdaless of the many ffu's I've flashed back.

Any helping wpuld be highly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------

Hi,

After further testing, the "Bad GPT" went away once I switched from using the .ffu WPInternals was providing, and instead using another. I still can't go any further but the error has at least gone away

toy_shi

Jun 20, 2019
Stuck in "loading" homescreen and apps

Good day.

I'm hoping to find a little help around here. I recently used WPInternals to unlock my Lumia 650, Windows 10, to extract some data. Everything went successful, flawlessly. Then, the last thing I remember, after rebooting my phone back to normal supposedly, all the apps seem to be non-responding, stuck in a "loading" loop. The phone itself is still working, as the phone boots up to the homescreen, and the notification area are still responsive. But when I try to access any of the apps, they won't open, stuck in loading, even the homescreen tiles don't load.

I was hoping not to go through the hard reset or the WDRT phase (because if I read it correctly, everything gets erased), as I'm still aiming to extract some more data from the phone.

The specific things I did are these:
- I am migrating to an android phone
- I began transferring my photos, files, documents, SMS to the new phone, with success
- Transferred my contacts through the cloud, but there was a catch (later on that)
- Now, when I was needing to migrate my Whatsapp messages, I learned that I had to unlock the phone to get the encrypted messages
- Used WPInternals for it and successfully got the messages.db for Whatsapp and successfully transferred the messages
- Now, (the catch from earlier) I noticed that my contacts are incomplete. The recent ones are missing, so I assumed they were not backed up to the cloud (as I searched everywhere on my accounts already). So I thought, I had to boot up my Lumia again and just try to extract them from there (either through the messages+contacts backup app, or just sync them to the cloud)
- Then, when I booted up my Lumia, there you had it, the problem.
- I can still change it to different modes through WPInternals, (flash, mass storage), without any problems and can see the folders in explorer, but the phone itself, again, doesn't load the apps, even settings, or whatever, so I can't do anything with it.

Things I tried numerous times already:
- enabling / disabling root access
- unlocking / relocking bootloader
- soft resets

So, it seems like there's something corrupt in there. And I was hoping someone knowledgeable about this can help me. This is greatly appreciated. Thank you. :( :fingers-crossed: :D

JupiterFlux

May 14, 2016
Can anyone explain what the “Scanning for flashing-profile” process is actually doing? Are the multiple attempts because it’s actually trying something different each time or is it just trying repeatedly because done things seem to just work if tried enough?

I’m actually trying to diagnose why mine always fails at that part when trying to unlock the boot loader, but since I’ve spent three days looking and found exactly 0 people who have had the problem I figure I need to start diagnosing the problem myself. Which is obviously easier if I know what isn’t working.

eriam

Sep 20, 2019
I am new to the forum and trying to find the answers to some probably very basic questions regarding WPintermals. I will appreciate if you could help me.

- There is a mention in WPinternals regarding mounting of the file system "offline" when using
the mass storage mode. I do not know how to access the offline media without making it active.
I just want to know which tool should I use on Windows machine to make a full sector based image of the internal WP storage in order not to corrupt the data? I am not really sure if there is one for offline media. Please suggest something for performing this task without a risk.

- Another concern regarding Samsung flash memory used in some phones.
My Lumia 1020 is definitely the one with this memory. I need to know what is the solution for that. WPinternals documentation says I have to find the special drivers for that memory but it does not say where and what to look for. Could someone point me to the right point.

- What is going to happen if the flash memory comes to that write protected state anyway? Is there anything I could do in this case?

And finally let me explain what I am trying to achieve.
Recently I was doing the backup of my photos and deleted about a thousand of "lores" files in camera roll folder.
Thanks Microsoft they did not tell anyone that if you delete lores images from the mounted MTP drive the highres images deleted respectively. Now I have no images and definitely want to get my photos back. To get this done I would like to mount the internal memory drive in mass storage mode, make a low level disk copy then build a disk image, mount it and then try to use unerase utility on this mounted disk image.

Do you think that is going to work?

Thank you.

paulsimon

Sep 30, 2014
Hi,

Yesterday I unlocked and installed WoA on my 950xl, all went well and my 950xl is now running WoA.

I've been looking around the Web and can't seem to find any information on how to return to win10 mobile as losing the camera is a problem for me.

Can anyone tell how to reload Windows 10 Mobile back to my handset please?

Thanks and apologies if I've missed the info elsewhere.

JupiterFlux

May 14, 2016
Hi,

Yesterday I unlocked and installed WoA on my 950xl, all went well and my 950xl is now running WoA.

I've been looking around the Web and can't seem to find any information on how to return to win10 mobile as losing the camera is a problem for me.

Can anyone tell how to reload Windows 10 Mobile back to my handset please?

Thanks and apologies if I've missed the info elsewhere.

If you don’t mind my asking, could you give me the exact instructions from initial setup on the phone to downloading files on your PC, flashing, everything? I can’t seem to get mine to work. When scanning for flashing profile it never succeeds, so I’m thinking other people are doing something else different somewhere else in the process.

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

If you don’t mind my asking, could you give me the exact instructions from initial setup on the phone to downloading files on your PC, flashing, everything? I can’t seem to get mine to work. When scanning for flashing profile it never succeeds, so I’m thinking other people are doing something else different somewhere else in the process.

Well... never mind. I hadn’t tried in months. Today I try again and poof. After several attempts it just worked. So.... great now...

ArmiNix

Oct 27, 2019
Giessen (Hessen)
I can not enable root access on the Lumia 925 WP 10 with WP internals 2.8

Hi all :)

I have updated successfully my WP 8.1 to WP 10 :cool:

With WP internals 2.8 I can unlock the bootloader and switch to the "Mass Storage Mode", so a full backup of my Lumia 925 works fine :)

But with the last step (enable root access) I run into an error:
picture.php

I guess, my Lumia Version is not compatible (10.0.10586.1176)? Or what is my mistake?
picture.php

WP internals 2.8 compatible phone list:
picture.php

WP internal 2.8 phone info:
picture.php

What can I do? I want use this Phone for my "smart home"... please help me :cyclops:

oooppppsss my pictures are not shown from my public album on XDA :eek: :confused: :angel:

Last edited:

spaikers

Oct 27, 2007
Is there any solution to unlock (interop unlock) the lumia 640 xl?

I need to install an app, xap file, but I can't because it doesn't allow me to download applications from the microsoft store (error c101a006).

Captura-lumia.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am proud to announce the immediate availability of Windows Phone Internals 1.0. This tool allows you to unlock the bootloader of selected Lumia Windows Phone models. After unlocking the bootloader, you can enable Root Access on the phone or create and flash Custom ROM's. I created two video's to demonstrate the features of the tool.

Root Access allows you to load your own homebrew software onto the phone with high privileges. Apps can escape from their sandboxes. The tool can also create backup-images of the phone and access the file-system in Mass Storage mode. The tool supports most versions of Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile. For a complete list of supported phones and Operating Systems have a look at the Getting Started section of the tool.

The download package also contains an SDK, which helps you to easily access the filesystem and registry on the phone from your own homebrew app.

The tool, SDK and video's are available on my new website:

www.wpinternals.net

Update december 23rd:

Windows Phone Internals version 1.1 is released. It has a fix for the audio-issue when Root Access is enabled and it supports Root Access on the latest Windows 10 Mobile build 10.0.10586.36. You can find the new version of the tool in the Download section on wpinternals.net

It seems there were extra integrity checks for playing media. I fixed this for audio-playback. I will create a generic fix later, but this will work for now. If you already have Root Access and you experience the Audio-issue, just "Enable Root Access" again on the phone.

Update december 29th:

A small update this time. Changes in this version:

• Compatibility improvement for Windows 7. In previous versions "Enable Root Access" could result in "Failed to enable Root Access on MainOS".
    • "Restore bootloader" now uses a different Flashing interface. Previously, when you restored the bootloader, you were forced to do a full flash afterwards. With this new method you can keep your current Windows Phone installation. Remember that you need to disable Root Access before you restore the bootloader.
    • Many small fixes and tweaks.
    FAQ

If your question is not answered here, please watch my instruction video's and read the "Getting started" section in my tool. I spent a lot of time to explain everything. If you have more questions, they are probably already answered there.

Can we run Android on Lumia now?

Why people ask this is beyond me. If you want Android, buy an Android phone. If you still want it, it will be a big challenge. You can remove UEFI, EFIESP, MainOS and Data partitions and then add hboot and other Android partitions. But then you would still need Android drivers for the Lumia components.

Which Lumia's are supported by the tool?

Lumia 520, 521, 525, 620, 625, 720, 820, 920, 925, 928, 1020 and 1320 are supported. These bootloaders can be unlocked.

Which OS versions are supported?

For these OS versions Root Access can be enabled. To enable Root Access, the bootloader must be unlocked first.

I will add support for new versions when they get released.

Why are other Lumia's not supported?

Other Lumia's have different CPU architectures. And these come with different bootloaders. Some of my hacks depend on the implementation of these bootloaders. Some of my hacks won't work on different bootloaders. I need to find new hacks for these bootloaders. I will try that, but I can't predict when that is ready. The tool has implemented all the basics. So adding new hacks will be easier.

Why are other brands not supported?

Same reason. Some hacks work different. I will try to add support for other brands. But I don't know when it is ready.

I need Emergency Flash Loaders. Where can I get them?

This search should yield relevant results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22lumia%22+%22emergency%22+%22hex%22

I need an Engineering SBL3. Where can I get it?

This search should yield relevant results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22engineering+sbl3s%22

You can download a full Engineering ROM or a separate SBL3 file. If you select an FFU file in the tool, the tool will extract the SBL3 from the FFU. SBL3 contains hardware-profiles of the phone and it initializes the hardware. Therefore you should only use an alternative SBL3 if it came from a phone that is at least the same brand and CPU architecture as your phone.

I can't find a matching Engineering SBL3. Can I still unlock my phone?

Yes. The alternative SBL3 is optional. You can still unlock your bootloader and flash Custom ROM's. But you will not have Mass Storage Mode. So you won't be able to enable Root Access directly on the phone or make a full backup-image of the phone. But you can still flash Custom ROM's and enable Root Access on the Custom ROM's. Use the second method from my "Unlock" video.

I unlocked my phone and now my audio is gone. Why?

This is an issue with Root Access in Windows Phone Internals 1.0. Update to Windows Phone Internals 1.1 and then choose "Enable Root Access" again.

Can I SIM-unlock my phone with this tool?

No. SIM-unlock is illegal in some countries. I don't support SIM-unlock.
    Engineering SBL3s

Here are engineering SBL3s for quite a few models that WPInternals currently supports ;)
    Precisely, the 520, 620, 625, 810, 820, 822, 920, 925 and the 1020
    I found a solution for the Audio-issue when enabling Root Access. It is actually a work-around. It needs a better solution. But for now, it will do. Will take me a bit of time to implement it, but a new version of the tool is in the making. :)
    Windows Phone Internals 1.1 released

This is my Xmas-present for you! Version 1.1 has a fix for the audio-issue when Root Access is enabled and it supports Root Access on the latest Windows 10 Mobile build 10.0.10586.36. You can find the new version of the tool in the Download section on wpinternals.net

It seems there were extra integrity checks for playing media. I fixed this for audio-playback. I will create a generic fix later, but this will work for now. If you already have Root Access and you experience the Audio-issue, just "Enable Root Access" again on the phone.

Best Wishes for Peace, Joy and lots of Hacking in this Holiday Season!