• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Windows Phone Internals updated to version 2.4

Search This thread

eKoKnight

Feb 2, 2014
I'm getting the same sometimes I get invalid platform ID I messed up my plat partition and loaders and i can still boot 2 emergency mode on my 635
I accidentally flashed Lumia 640. FFU file.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

My Lumia 640, did this, it got stuck on a reset protection screen. I hard reset. In connected to Wi-Fi and it prompted me to sign into my Microsoft account and I did get access to the phone. You can try that.

I know though on the site it say reset protection is off. Though thankfully with InteropTools i found a way to install it on my phone to bypass reset protection. Though it does not turn it off. And no way to make it reactivate on the site so I can get my recovery key to turn it off my phone. No thanks to the developer I hope he finds a way to turn off reset protection for lumia 950s if you can pass this along to him on his tweeter id appreciate it.

RomLord14495

Sep 28, 2017
I know though on the site it say reset protection is off. Though thankfully with InteropTools i found a way to install it on my phone to bypass reset protection. Though it does not turn it off. And no way to make it reactivate on the site so I can get my recovery key to turn it off my phone. No thanks to the developer I hope he finds a way to turn off reset protection for lumia 950s if you can pass this along to him on his tweeter id appreciate it.
Yeah know mine didn't show up on the Micorsoft site either only my 950 did and I was freaking out so I hard reset my phone because i thought it was a project Astoria bug( currently installed on my 640)but I connected to wifi after the reset and it took me to a sign in page to disable reset protection

eKoKnight

Feb 2, 2014
I'm getting the same sometimes I get invalid platform ID I messed up my plat partition and loaders and i can still boot 2 emergency mode on my 635
I accidentally flashed Lumia 640. FFU file.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

My Lumia 640, did this, it got stuck on a reset protection screen. I hard reset. In connected to Wi-Fi and it prompted me to sign into my Microsoft account and I did get access to the phone. You can try that.

Yeah know mine didn't show up on the Micorsoft site either only my 950 did and I was freaking out so I hard reset my phone because i thought it was a project Astoria bug( currently installed on my 640)but I connected to wifi after the reset and it took me to a sign in page to disable reset protection

That's odd. Well at this point I cant turn off reset protection at all on the phone regardless of the site when im log on cause it will say its turn off when its not. It all happen when I started using Windows Phone Internals 2.3. I am not a happy camper cause if it wasn't for InteropTools that I side loaded onto the phone plus a few steps to get into settings to turn on developer mode I wouldn't have been able to use my phone. As long as I don't do a hard reset I won't have to dothis whole thing again. And I am very upset with the developer of WP Internals 2.3 I know he means well on wanting to do good but dang he made things worse for many of us or like me with my Lumia 950 from At&t with Reset protection. I will never be able to turn it off on the phone since the Microsoft site say it off when its not off at all on the phone itself. -.- Not even at&t can help.

RomLord14495

Sep 28, 2017
That's odd. Well at this point I cant turn off reset protection at all on the phone regardless of the site when im log on cause it will say its turn off when its not. It all happen when I started using Windows Phone Internals 2.3. I am not a happy camper cause if it wasn't for InteropTools that I side loaded onto the phone plus a few steps to get into settings to turn on developer mode I wouldn't have been able to use my phone. As long as I don't do a hard reset I won't have to dothis whole thing again. And I am very upset with the developer of WP Internals 2.3 I know he means well on wanting to do good but dang he made things worse for many of us or like me with my Lumia 950 from At&t with Reset protection. I will never be able to turn it off on the phone since the Microsoft site say it off when its not off at all on the phone itself. -.- Not even at&t can try the
I'm glad I didn't try the tool on my 950 yet also, if you go back to stock like I did. It will prompt you to enter your Microsoft account to turn off reset protection. When your first boot up and connect to Wi-Fi.

eKoKnight

Feb 2, 2014
That's odd. Well at this point I cant turn off reset protection at all on the phone regardless of the site when im log on cause it will say its turn off when its not. It all happen when I started using Windows Phone Internals 2.3. I am not a happy camper cause if it wasn't for InteropTools that I side loaded onto the phone plus a few steps to get into settings to turn on developer mode I wouldn't have been able to use my phone. As long as I don't do a hard reset I won't have to dothis whole thing again. And I am very upset with the developer of WP Internals 2.3 I know he means well on wanting to do good but dang he made things worse for many of us or like me with my Lumia 950 from At&t with Reset protection. I will never be able to turn it off on the phone since the Microsoft site say it off when its not off at all on the phone itself. -.- Not even at&t can try the
I'm glad I didn't try the tool on my 950 yet also, if you go back to stock like I did. It will prompt you to enter your Microsoft account to turn off reset protection. When your first boot up and connect to Wi-Fi.

heh i'll try that since im updating the phone see if that works so I can have reset protection work correctly again as it should like when I first got my phone a year and a half ago.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Well that didn't help -.-

XDASumiaki

Jan 11, 2018
I try compile kernel too. But I try launch it on phone using GRUB2...

Yee, I thought first that it should work, to get U-BOOT from BootMgr but I abandoned the idea...
First of all its possible, but should need to compile a new U-BOOT / GRUB2 with Flattened DT / ARCH configs, a set so many **** fcks...
After this I got the new idea, it is to launch EFI shell from BootMgr and start the bootloader (LK based .efi). I have so many works now, but it seems good and safe to test on my only one Lumia device. :) I will show what I did.
Peace!

jethro tarw

Jan 13, 2018
Sorry to inform you, but if BootMgr could launch EFI files we would already be working on Linux kernels for these devices
Don't let Microsoft fool you by using ".efi" extension for the files loaded by BootMgr, as those are not EFI applications, but so called "Windows Boot Applications". If you look at their PE header, you'll see that the subsystem used by them is different, and also the architecture identifier is different too
The second problem is that their entry-point prototype is different, so passing the normal UEFI parameters to it won't work, meaning the reverse won't work either
Thirt problem is that even if you build an EFI application with a WBA->EFI wrapper as entry function, set up the header correctly, it won't be able to do much except loading up. Did not check the bootmgr code yet, but according to what I see on UART, it probably disables interrupts before loading a WBA, and also I fear unless UEFI it does not handle relocations for the loaded binary

well how about we compile a little kernel bootloader and then patch it into the uefi part of the firehose emergency payload? I'm sure we could find a way to do that.

and if the next or future release of WPI ever allows us to flash the UEFI partition only or modfy it inside an ffu then we have another solution.

the_R4K_

Jun 10, 2017
Horki
Sorry to inform you, but if BootMgr could launch EFI files we would already be working on Linux kernels for these devices
Don't let Microsoft fool you by using ".efi" extension for the files loaded by BootMgr, as those are not EFI applications, but so called "Windows Boot Applications". If you look at their PE header, you'll see that the subsystem used by them is different, and also the architecture identifier is different too
The second problem is that their entry-point prototype is different, so passing the normal UEFI parameters to it won't work, meaning the reverse won't work either
Thirt problem is that even if you build an EFI application with a WBA->EFI wrapper as entry function, set up the header correctly, it won't be able to do much except loading up. Did not check the bootmgr code yet, but according to what I see on UART, it probably disables interrupts before loading a WBA, and also I fear unless UEFI it does not handle relocations for the loaded binary

useful information.
but GRUB2 work on lumia.

RomLord14495

Sep 28, 2017
heh i'll try that since im updating the phone see if that works so I can have reset protection work correctly again as it should like when I first got my phone a year and a half ago.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Well that didn't help -.-
Really were u connected to WiFi and have u tried relocking the bootloader than trying

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

keep telling yourself that. you might believe it.
I want it for win 10 on arm

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

another interesting point is , why didn't android make it to the 1020? its a snapdragon s4, similar to the 520.
Laziness

jethro tarw

Jan 13, 2018
Because why would we do it before fixing 520/525?
720 support only got added because the 520 builds worked on it

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

I see, checked it, and it just confirms what I wrote as I see a WBA to EFI wrapper file in that archive that actually reenables interrupts

Did you create that yourself, or is it from the goldensecurekeyboot guys? Just curious, nothing more

the hard part that most people can't do without the right software resources, such as compile the bootloader would be ready for them, for then others to come along later and fix it, would be leaps ahead of where we are now.

are you aware of anyway of injecting another ELF into the firehose payload? what if we sign that elf with the same RKH?

XDASumiaki

Jan 11, 2018
Holy moly

Ye fk my life, I cant believe this MS how pro. Also I realized I really cant run directly the .efi by passing it to the machine to handle, not that simple as I though, I will figure out why, but I may think what causes this. Thanks this inform too, WinBootMgr sucks really hard.
By the way I now realized this isnt the biggest problem. I dumped the UEFI image and looked up how it is, and see 2 loaders, and 3 configuraton files (uefiplat.cfg), + DXE Drivers as usual. The main problem is the "NokiaBootMgrApp" PE32 Application in the EFI rom. This seems to me like, trying to boot, but only for the Windows system, and this is why we cant boot nothing only the factory (bootmarm.efi -> bootmgfw..) files, -> veryfication with integrity + restricted mode. + seems like it checks the Windows partitions too for specific files so Im really confused.
2 option here now! Need to mod this loader, or try to swap with another (good luck? XD), + they used NokiaPkg for source what is not accesible for me because its not open source. Secund option is to build an UEFI rom for it from Linaro EDK2. Easy job but will it work? -> Sure not, because need new device drivers for the ARM DXE package what isnt opensource again. They used packages for 8x26 ARM device with their own device + cpu drivers. Maybe Ill find somewhere but not sure, or something generic like that, could be good for start writing a new UEFI system (EFIDroid is about it)? Nice.

Btw I have got this for Lumia RM1067 Gl (Serious infos alert): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lZMcS0kwfzSomF4k3gw5ZwqbiaDFTamz
I stopped there to posting about Android, I will come up with news on the right forums. Hi all.

Reactions: lcdkhoa

eKoKnight

Feb 2, 2014

Really were u connected to WiFi and have u tried relocking the bootloader than trying

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

I want it for win 10 on arm

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Laziness

Ya I try that. :( I didn't have any succe4ss. I had to turn on developer mode on the phone just to bypass the blasted lock screen by using interlop or whatever its called. Won't be long till Microsoft patch that on the OS then I will end up having my phone completely lock if I ever use Windows Device Recovery. and yes I try doing the unlocking bootloader and still fails. The program latterly screws up any phone with reset protection :( Well at least the Lumia 950 At&t brand. i just wish I could wipe the darn thing off but nooo... not like I would have knowledge to do such im just a casual user.

RomLord14495

Sep 28, 2017
Ya I try that. :( I didn't have any succe4ss. I had to turn on developer mode on the phone just to bypass the blasted lock screen by using interlop or whatever its called. Won't be long till Microsoft patch that on the OS then I will end up having my phone completely lock if I ever use Windows Device Recovery. and yes I try doing the unlocking bootloader and still fails. The program latterly screws up any phone with reset protection :( Well at least the Lumia 950 At&t brand. i just wish I could wipe the darn thing off but nooo... not like I would have knowledge to do such im just a casual user.

Don't try to unlock the boot loader on the 950 it will brick the device

eKoKnight

Feb 2, 2014
Don't try to unlock the boot loader on the 950 it will brick the device

That's to late. Why you think im here about not being able to now turn off reset protection? :\ I can't even get a hold of b2x to see if they can give me my reset protection key to turn it off. :(
Though the bootloader have not been flash thankfully. Or id expect the phone to be bricked.

Last edited:

Stefan22

Feb 24, 2014
Hey everyone, maybe this has been asked before, but do you think, thanks to WPInternals there will be a future for Lumia devices (like 930, 950) and Elite X3 with Windows on ARM and CShell?

eKoKnight

Feb 2, 2014
Hey everyone, maybe this has been asked before, but do you think, thanks to WPInternals there will be a future for Lumia devices (like 930, 950) and Elite X3 with Windows on ARM and CShell?

At the present time. I would think not. That just my opinion on how things are going. Take for example what my Lumia 950 going through.

djtonka

Aug 1, 2010
City
Flashed back 830 with modified partition which includes FCU latest build. Did it straight on Denim, process end with some address error but Lumia is behave ok. Repeated twice, it is happening (error on end) even when makings backups without modification.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all! Windows Phone Internals 2.4 is ready to download. It beats the modern SecureBoot implementation. And furthermore, it brings custom ROM's, Mass Storage Mode, Root access and many more hacks to all Windows Phone 8 and Windows 10 Mobile-based Lumia-models. There is also a new Download-section in the tool, where you can download everything you need for your phone.

Short demo here:
    https://wpinternals.net/index.php/128-introwpi22

Version 2.3 is released:
    https://www.wpinternals.net/index.php/129-wpi23released

Version 2.4 is released (changelog in the link):
    https://wpinternals.net/index.php/130-here-s-windows-phone-internals-2-4

René (Heathcliff74)
    What We do now? Microsoft kidnapped Heathcliff74

Hahaha! No, I'm still alive and kicking. I released that intro video 2 weeks ago, because at that time i was sure i was able to release the tool within a few days. I still haven't released the tool yet, so I owe a little explanation.

Two weeks ago I was just wrapping up some final pieces of code. But there was a problem with the implementation of the bootloader unlock. It had to do with updatability. When the bootloader was unlocked, the phone could not be updated anymore, which makes sense. But after relocking the phone, the phone still couldn't be updated anymore. That means, that when the phone was unlocked once, it could never be updated anymore, unless you would flash a stock ROM and start over. I realized the impact of this problem later on. Because many Lumia models only have WP 8.1 based stock ROM's and the update-process from WP 8.1 to the current W10M build is painfully long. Doing experiments this way would be agonizing. And this implementation would never be useful for people who want to use this on a phone which they still want to update regularly.

So I was looking for a solution for this problem. It took me a while to get it right. I needed a new hack and many attempts to get it implemented correctly. But I have fixed it now. I still need to finalize some stuff, but it is almost ready. If I wouldn't have been able to fix this shortly, I would have released the tool without this, but that would really have been a big disappointment for me. Because you only make a first impression once.

If I knew all this in advance, I would have waited to release that intro-video. I mean, I worked on this for two years already. And I've worked on this in silence all that time. Because I knew that when I would publish about my progress, I would also get questions about ETA's all the time. And I simply can't answer them. I need to focus on my work. I didn't release that video to tease a lot of people and then sneak out again on purpose. I'm just as anxious as others to release this tool. And now that I have this problem fixed, I guess I can release the tool soon. But you got to realize that it is important for me to test everything properly. It is important to get it right, or else phones get bricked. So, it is ready when it is ready. Sorry to test your patience. Hang in there just a bit longer.

Heathcliff

PS. I will try to answer all other questions when I release the tool. No time now.
    Hey Heathcliff74, Please is there a fix to turn off reset protection after what you software has caused to many Lumia phones? It be nice if you could build a program that does a cross scan between each device IMEI and upon Microsoft Reset protection status site that states on there site that is off which will force it off on a phone that should have been off? Or at least give us something were we can disable Reset Protection. The bypass solution is a pain even though that works. Though not idea to do for any owner of a Lumia especially for us Lumia 950/XL owners.

Wow, wow, wow! Hold it right there! The tool is full of warnings. And when you started the tool for the first time, you agreed to the Disclaimer. This text is a part of the Disclaimer-text of the Windows Phone Internals tool:

This software is a "proof of concept" tool which uses dangerous and largely untested techniques on Windows Phones ("Target Devices"). By using this tool the target device may start showing unstable behavior and crashes. There is significant and real potential that irreversible permanent damage will occur on some devices. As such this tool must only be used against target devices which it is acceptable for such damage to occur (for example retired devices used only for test purposes). This tool should not be used against target devices, which are intended as your primary means of telecommunications, because in some circumstances you may not be able to place calls (including calls for emergency services), or you may experience increased data charges. Use of this tool may void the warranty of any chosen target device.

It is not my software who caused problems. You took the risk and used the software on your phone. So YOU caused the problem and YOU are responsible for the problem!

That said, I investigated the issue. Reset Protection is only present on US phones. So I was not aware of how it could be triggered, because I am not from the US. To prevent the issue, I made changes to WPinternals 2.4. It will try to backup the Reset Protection Response Data and restore it when the bootloader is restored. So there should be no new cases of this problem when using version 2.4.

There are a couple of ways to get around Reset Protection. Some people already succeeded by using a certain ROM version in combination with Interop Tools but that is indeed very cumbersome. I contact users all the time to help with various problems. Not because I feel obliged. Just because I want to help.

René
    Windows Phone Internals 2.3 is released!

Version 2.3 is released:
    https://www.wpinternals.net/index.php/129-wpi23released

Heathcliff74
    Will this work on any w10m build or we will have to downgrade to an specific version(i'm at 15254.12 in both 635 and 550)??

WPI only works on supported OS versions. Version 15254.1 and 15254.12 are both supported.

So HTC one m8 for windows is suporrted?

HTC One M8, HP Elite X3 and Alcatel Idol 4S are not supported. It would take me a lot of time to research. I have to see which hacks are compatible. And where I would need to find new hacks. I don't think I will have time to do this, unfortunately.

Will the new WP Internals work with my Lumia 730 now?
    It will support lumia 635??
    If this is the case, then for sure the 1520...I hope...
    Any chance this could work on the Lumia 435?

WPI 2.2 still supports all old Lumia's. It is now also successfully tested on Lumia 1520, 435, 550, 630, 640, 650, 830, 930, 950 and 950 XL. So I think it is fair to say that it works on all Lumia's.

Heathcliff74,
    First of all, thanks for the hard work you've put into this. Quick question: If you unlock the bootloader and gain root access, can you remove root access and re-lock the bootloader? (I'm assuming you can, but I'd like to verify). I like the fact W10M is a secure OS. I would only want to unlock the bootloader and gain root access on a temporary basis.

Yes, this is possible. However, there are still some issues with updates after having relocked the phone. I'm working hard on a fix for that.

With this tool, will it be theoretically possible to install Windows 10 on ARM on i.e 950xl, when it's released?

In theory.. yes. But you would need to merge the drivers into the OS. Not an easy thing to do.

Heathcliff74.