[Windows RT 8.1] Development Tool V3.0 BUILD XXXX

Search This thread

lovinglygaslight

Oct 10, 2018
The spotify web player fix isn't working for me, and the Paint.Net link appears to be dead, it basically just refreshes my page. Also, while I'm able to run in Test Mode, the Signing Tool doesnt work for me, it shows "OK" after a file is put in, but the file still wont run.

Last edited:

Qiangong2

Oct 31, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S20
The spotify web player fix isn't working for me, and the Paint.Net link appears to be dead, it basically just refreshes my page. Also, while I'm able to run in Test Mode, the Signing Tool doesnt work for me, it shows "OK" after a file is put in, but the file still wont run.

The signing tool only works on applications built for arm. You also cannot sign an application that has already been signed.

Also, certain libraries do not work, so that could be the issue too

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
Hello!
I will receive a Surface RT later this month and since I probably still have my VS 2012 key somewhere I was looking into apps that I might be able to port over and I have to ask if the most updated guide is still this one:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2096820
And also wanna suggest that perhaps adding a guide to the github wiki would be a good idea considering it seems you are trying to collect all the information in one place.

I also saw the fact that some ported apps work on Windows RT 8.0 but not on 8.1 and I want to ask why that is, what does one have to do differently in order to get the apps to work on 8.1?

Also since I am aware of the memory limitations you guys encountered when porting apps I wanna ask how feasible do you think it would be to port apps like LMMS, retroarch or Libre office (this one has a ton of dependencies so if I ever try it it's certainly going to be one of the last apps I try)?

Qiangong2

Oct 31, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S20
Hello!
I will receive a Surface RT later this month and since I probably still have my VS 2012 key somewhere I was looking into apps that I might be able to port over and I have to ask if the most updated guide is still this one:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2096820
And also wanna suggest that perhaps adding a guide to the github wiki would be a good idea considering it seems you are trying to collect all the information in one place.

I also saw the fact that some ported apps work on Windows RT 8.0 but not on 8.1 and I want to ask why that is, what does one have to do differently in order to get the apps to work on 8.1?

First of all, welcome! Yes, that is the most up to date guide. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between which apps work on 8.0 but not 8.1. Probably some library that RT 8.1 patched.

Also since I am aware of the memory limitations you guys encountered when porting apps I wanna ask how feasible do you think it would be to port apps like LMMS, retroarch or Libre office (this one has a ton of dependencies so if I ever try it it's certainly going to be one of the last apps I try)?

From my own experiences, the best chance of porting an application successfully is if the application you are trying to port uses about 512mb of RAM max. Anything above that is hit or miss and anything that uses 1gb or above is either so slow it isn't worth it, or it doesn't boot at all. It just crashes after launch. Retroarch should be feasible, libre office is pushing it. If you could port just the database editor somehow, that would be useful, but otherwise I don't see the need for libreoffice since we have Microsoft office. LMMS might work, but based on what I've seen of it. Lowering the RAM usage might be hard.

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
First of all, welcome! Yes, that is the most up to date guide. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between which apps work on 8.0 but not 8.1. Probably some library that RT 8.1 patched.

Well that's highly inconvenient, basically since I don't have an RT 8.0 device as well I will not have any idea if the reason the app I attempted to port doesn't work cause I did something wrong or it just randomly won't work on RT 8.1?

Also I saw that here on the forum there is a MinGW port for RT which has some limitations in regards to the size of the compiled executable, would that be useful at all in attempting to port any actually useful software that doesn't use MSVC or is it just too limited, has it been used for anything at all?

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
Yupp, you're right. Spotify does not support IE anymore. Right now there's no way to override this. Spotify used to support IE, but it seems it upgraded it's code. Also, I will take the Paint.NET link down. I don't have this program anymore and have no interest to compile it. As of 01/10/2018 I decided to leave the Windows RT Development section due to my new Surface Pro (2017). I still have a Surface RT and will still update the Development Tool.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ using XDA Labs

Well since I actually need Paint.NET I guess it's gonna be the first app I try to compile once I get my Surface RT (that's gonna be around the end of the month though), seeing how there are other versions already available which seem to not work on RT 8.1 from reading the comments do you happen to remember if you did any extra modification to get it running other than the build configuration the guide lists or if there's any other modification or dependency needed to even compile it for RT?

EDIT: Actually it seems somehow the download link is wrong now, this downloaded the Paint.NET zip for me: https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4433500

EDIT 2: I noticed the link was: https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4433500&d=1519830366 and found the &d= part odd, the QR code seems to also give the right link from above instead of the wrong one on the forum.

Last edited:

Qiangong2

Oct 31, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S20
Well that's highly inconvenient, basically since I don't have an RT 8.0 device as well I will not have any idea if the reason the app I attempted to port doesn't work cause I did something wrong or it just randomly won't work on RT 8.1?

Also I saw that here on the forum there is a MinGW port for RT which has some limitations in regards to the size of the compiled executable, would that be useful at all in attempting to port any actually useful software that doesn't use MSVC or is it just too limited, has it been used for anything at all?

The MinGW port is limited, but you can try it. To my knowledge, no apps have been compiled with it.

There's no guarantee that any application will work. Lots of applications that have been tried just crash on boot. Also, you may want to try porting calibre before libreoffice. Less dependencies (still a lot) and takes usually around 200mb of ram only

lovinglygaslight

Oct 10, 2018

Feel like I should add to mine. Still can't get Paint.NET to work. I found a download link, but it crashes the moment it opens, or at the latest, the moment I click.
However I DID somehow get Spotify to work using the Web Player fix. I dont know how, because I didnt do anything different, but I've not shut down my RT since because I probably wouldnt be able to do it again xD But I think it shows that it IS indeed possible at the very least still... Somehow... (Edit: Sorry for it not being a link, cant do that yet)
image.ibb.co/k5wad0/Capture.png

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
The MinGW port is limited, but you can try it. To my knowledge, no apps have been compiled with it.

There's no guarantee that any application will work. Lots of applications that have been tried just crash on boot. Also, you may want to try porting calibre before libreoffice. Less dependencies (still a lot) and takes usually around 200mb of ram only

Well I did get the fact that some just won't work but if what I try to port doesn't work for me there can be 3 cases:
  • It doesn't work on 8.1 but works on 8.0.
  • It doesn't work on either 8.1 or 8.0 simply cause it won't work.
  • It doesn't work cause I did something wrong.
And I won't have any way of knowing in which case I am cause I don't have an 8.0 device.

Anyway I'll deal with that when I get the tablet but there's something else I want to ask: I read on some other forum that people are copying some MFC libraries from an older version of VS, why and which libraries are being copied?

Feel like I should add to mine. Still can't get Paint.NET to work. I found a download link, but it crashes the moment it opens, or at the latest, the moment I click.
However I DID somehow get Spotify to work using the Web Player fix. I dont know how, because I didnt do anything different, but I've not shut down my RT since because I probably wouldnt be able to do it again xD But I think it shows that it IS indeed possible at the very least still... Somehow... (Edit: Sorry for it not being a link, cant do that yet)
image.ibb.co/k5wad0/Capture.png

There's other versions of Paint.NET on different threads which seem to not work on RT 8.1, I posted the corrected attachment link a few posts ago which is the same version the github app list was pointing at, did you get that one?
I'll attach it here just in case.

Last edited:

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
I think there's some new update blocking test mode, I just finished fully updating my RT and then ran the option to uninstall infected updates multiple times till it no longer found anything and still can't enter test mode.

OMGKenny00

Mar 31, 2016
Hey people, I'm currently unable to use the tool, I'm on windows 8.1 rt, on the standard windows rt device, tried all the steps to get it working but test mode just won't turn on. Are there any news on a new tool? because it seems that this one is not working anymore, or is this project still going at all? Any type of updates would be awesome.

Plus I had an idea the other day, Can't we just fool the windows store into "thinking" that we are installing an app from there, but in reality we would put our own files? Like a cracked windows store or something on those lines.
Again this would mean we would have to still port apps to the ARM build but it looks easier to do it straight from android apps, since most games on the windows store are from gameloft. Which mostly rules android and ios. I mean we do have access to the windowsapps folder. Just a noob idea but its something new I guess.
I remember back in the day when windows 8 came out someone was able to install windows 8 apps without paying for them. Me included, don't ask me how it was a long time ago.
Again noob idea I'm not a developer or anything.

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
Hey people, I'm currently unable to use the tool, I'm on windows 8.1 rt, on the standard windows rt device, tried all the steps to get it working but test mode just won't turn on. Are there any news on a new tool? because it seems that this one is not working anymore, or is this project still going at all? Any type of updates would be awesome.

Plus I had an idea the other day, Can't we just fool the windows store into "thinking" that we are installing an app from there, but in reality we would put our own files? Like a cracked windows store or something on those lines.
Again this would mean we would have to still port apps to the ARM build but it looks easier to do it straight from android apps, since most games on the windows store are from gameloft. Which mostly rules android and ios. I mean we do have access to the windowsapps folder. Just a noob idea but its something new I guess.
I remember back in the day when windows 8 came out someone was able to install windows 8 apps without paying for them. Me included, don't ask me how it was a long time ago.
Again noob idea I'm not a developer or anything.

Look at the list of infected updates in the second post, for me the tool was not removing one of those so I had to manually do it then it worked.

Reactions: OMGKenny00

OMGKenny00

Mar 31, 2016
Look at the list of infected updates in the second post, for me the tool was not removing one of those so I had to manually do it then it worked.
Thank you for the feedback, but I don't seem to be able to unnistall the updates, when I go to installed updates it does not show me an option to unnistall them. Im not home right now but i will try it again when i am.Do you know if there is a way around this?

EDIT: I was trying to uninstall the office updates xD I will try what you mentioned and see if works. will update.

Update: Looks like the updates that you mentioned are not installed, or at least that's what I think after looking at the list. I'm not sure since my names for the updates difer from the ones in the list, I tried going by KB but not sure how accurate it was. Is there another way I can uninstall the updates?

Capture of the list.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2016
PS2EXE-GUI v0.5.0.14

This compiler that converts powershell code into C# .net executables ~ when you put the output through the signtool... works on Surface RT.

This includes windows forms.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/PS2EXE-GUI-Convert-e7cb69d5

For some reason I have not been able to replace the primary powershell executable yet, for some reason & isn't passing the script file through properly.

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

This compiler that converts powershell code into C# .net executables ~ when you put the output through the signtool... works on Surface RT.

For some reason I have not been able to replace the primary powershell executable yet, for some reason & isn't passing the script file through properly.

POWERSHELL IS JAILBROKE.

powershell.exe

if ($args[0] -ne $null)
{$script = get-content $args[0] | Out-String
invoke-expression $script}

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

POWERSHELL IS JAILBROKE.

powershell.exe

if ($args[0] -ne $null)
{$script = get-content $args[0] | Out-String
invoke-expression $script}

Code:
$host.ui.RawUI.WindowTitle = "Windows PowerShell"
if ($args[0] -ne $null) {
     $script = get-content $args[0] | Out-String
     invoke-expression $script
}
else {
     while (1) {
          $a = read-host 'PS' $(Get-Location)'>'
          invoke-expression $a
          }
}

PS. For some reason this version does not support dot referencing or module imports I don't think.
For that to work, we'd have to break get-content into an array look for dot referencing and module imports and handle them.

Workaround for 'Import-Module'
Code:
invoke-expression $(get-content .\module.psm1 | Out-String)

This is seriously the only true 'bug' I'm currently aware of, and this work around is of good quality.
Every powershell script I need that I use on my primary machine, I can now adjust in this fashion and use on my Surface RT.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts