Windows RT 8.1 IR5 Media Builder

Search This thread

jwa4

Jun 2, 2020
Does myriachan jailbreak automatically with this program? What does it consist of? Should it be done? Can I put a newer browser? Thank you

This kit just produces Windows RT 8.1 installation media. Although retaining compatibility with the various jailbreaks is one options available, it does not apply a jailbreak.

New browsers are not available for Windows RT 8.1 even with a jailbreak. The only alternative browser is Edge under Windows 10 15035 but this is over three years old now, in some instances Edge is better than IE11 however its usefulness is becoming more limited as time goes on.

Reactions: ivanothai

jwa4

Jun 2, 2020
According to MS Tech it accured when Administrator account used. Why do ya use it under administrator privilege?

Can you post a link to that reference? Administrator permissions are required to service these images, of the 37 languages only the 7 listed produce this error and the other 30 can be updated fine. If it was an account issue I assume it would fail consistently on all 37 languages.

Thanks

hooddy

Jan 16, 2008
Can you post a link to that reference? Administrator permissions are required to service these images, of the 37 languages only the 7 listed produce this error and the other 30 can be updated fine. If it was an account issue I assume it would fail consistently on all 37 languages.

Thanks
This guy wrote that triyng to modify install.wim and it works when disable administrator rights

Foxy-NL

Jan 17, 2021
Windows RT 8.1 IR5 Update Kit:

View attachment 5159441

This update kit will download Windows RT 8.1 IR5, download and integrate selected Windows Updates to January 2021, integrate drivers for the selected device and generate an updated installation source ready to be copied to a FAT32 formatted USB drive (8GB minimum) for installation on a supported device.

It's not in any way pretty but does the job and is less painful than dealing with Windows Update on a fresh RT 8.1 install. It will usually work if its not windy outside and you don't look at it while its doing its thing.

The use of this update kit or the media it produces is entirely at your own risk.

The kit is to be run on an x86/x64 PC and not on the target device. On older hardware it can take around one hour including download time on a reasonable connection. I recommend this is extracted to the root of your hard drive, for example "D:\Windows_RT_8.1_IR5_Update_Kit_v1.6\ ". Once the archive is extracted run "Build.cmd" as administrator.

15/01/2021 - Windows_RT_8.1_IR5_Update_Kit_v1.6a.zip - Download
- Includes January 2020 Windows Updates.

17/12/2020 - Windows_RT_8.1_IR5_Update_Kit_v1.6_Appx.zip - Download
- Optional Appx Update Pack for v1.6 and above.

During testing I found that trying to update provisioned apps in Windows RT 8.1 IR5 for Saudi Arabia, Bulgaria, Germany, Croatia, Hungary, Russia and Slovakia results in the following error:

The ESD files are clean downloads directly from Microsoft and I have no idea what might be causing this, I will try to find what it is but for the moment these languages will be excluded from attempting app updates.

Mirror: https://gofile.io/d/pe3xDR
Old Versions: https://gofile.io/d/4EEQOA
I am a brand-new user and was for weeks seeking for my solution of a Surface RT, witch did not update any more.....searching...and searching but at the end stopped with code 8007000E or 8024A000. I tried a lot of the good tips on different forums, but nothing seems to be the good one...until I saw your kit-solution.
You are my hero now, because last night I started your tool and this morning I put the usb-stick with all the downloaded data in my Surface RT after a while the installation was ready incl. Startmenu instead of Start...so it seems to work. The final test seeking for Windows updates...and that worked ok again, because I got a list of 57 updates for Office2013 and a firmware update (10-03-2015) from now on I am a very happy user again. You are my hero and I will promote your story to anybody who has the same problems.

jwa4

Jun 2, 2020
I am a brand-new user and was for weeks seeking for my solution of a Surface RT, witch did not update any more.....searching...and searching but at the end stopped with code 8007000E or 8024A000. I tried a lot of the good tips on different forums, but nothing seems to be the good one...until I saw your kit-solution.
You are my hero now, because last night I started your tool and this morning I put the usb-stick with all the downloaded data in my Surface RT after a while the installation was ready incl. Startmenu instead of Start...so it seems to work. The final test seeking for Windows updates...and that worked ok again, because I got a list of 57 updates for Office2013 and a firmware update (10-03-2015) from now on I am a very happy user again. You are my hero and I will promote your story to anybody who has the same problems.

Thanks for letting me know, I'm glad it has been useful.

It's a shame there appears to be no known way to support the integration of the Office Updates but at least they are relatively quick to install via Windows Updates - it's usually the 200+ other updates that are painful to wait for on a fresh install :)

Last edited:

jwa4

Jun 2, 2020
Old version link is broken

Thanks for letting me know, I will try to find a more reliable place to put them - the current version is now in the thread instead of external link.

There will be a new release in the next day or two that adds the option of using WInRE and creates the recovery partition with the updated image on it.

EDIT:

19/01/2021 - Windows_RT_8.1_IR5_Update_Kit_v1.7.zip -
Download
- Added the option of using the Windows Recovery Environment instead of the default Windows Setup, using this option will also create a recovery partition containing the generated image.

The Old Version / Mirror Link has been updated.

Last edited:

Blindworm23

Jan 21, 2021
Could anyone help me please?, I made the whole process, I have the generated files in my usb-stick but my Surface did not boot with the USB, I'm booting with Use a device option and then select the USB Option with no luck.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.1 KB · Views: 119

jwa4

Jun 2, 2020
Could anyone help me please?, I made the whole process, I have the generated files in my usb-stick but my Surface did not boot with the USB, I'm booting with Use a device option and then select the USB Option with no luck.

Is the format of the USB drive FAT32? Are you using advanced start-up from within Windows and then selecting boot from USB?

You can boot directly from USB by powering off, inserting USB drive and keeping volume button pressed whilst pressing the power button.

Blindworm23

Jan 21, 2021
Is the format of the USB drive FAT32? Are you using advanced start-up from within Windows and then selecting boot from USB?

You can boot directly from USB by powering off, inserting USB drive and keeping volume button pressed whilst pressing the power button.
Yes,it's in FAT32, but when i select the USB Boot Option the surface restart into the screen of the keyboard layout, i try it with another usb but it's the same, when i press the volume button always enter to this screen of the keyboard layout

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-01-21 at 12.37.26 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-21 at 12.37.26 PM.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 145
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-01-21 at 12.32.54 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-21 at 12.32.54 PM.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 142

jwa4

Jun 2, 2020
Yes,it's in FAT32, but when i select the USB Boot Option the surface restart into the screen of the keyboard layout, i try it with another usb but it's the same, when i press the volume button always enter to this screen of the keyboard layout

So it is working :) If you selected Windows Recovery Style setup from the kit then that's the expected screen.

Launch recovery by selecting your keyboard layout > troubleshoot > reset your pc > select existing os install (if there is one, if not this step will be skipped) > wait for a few moments and press next > Yes, reparation the drives > just remove my files / clean drive fully (your choice) and then press reset to confirm.

Using the default Windows Setup option from the kit might be clearer as it uses the windows setup you would normally see on a desktop. Recovery style is what the Microsoft recovery images uses and has the advantage of being a little more touch friendly along with also creating an updated recovery partition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blindworm23

Blindworm23

Jan 21, 2021
So it is working :) If you selected Windows Recovery Style setup from the kit then that's the expected screen.

Launch recovery by selecting your keyboard layout > troubleshoot > reset your pc > select existing os install (if there is one, if not this step will be skipped) > wait for a few moments and press next > Yes, reparation the drives > just remove my files / clean drive fully (your choice) and then press reset to confirm.

Using the default Windows Setup option from the kit might be clearer as it uses the windows setup you would normally see on a desktop. Recovery style is what the Microsoft recovery images uses and has the advantage of being a little more touch friendly along with also creating an updated recovery partition.

Thank you so much, it worked!!!

Reactions: jwa4
ok,I´ve got an Asus Vivo tab RT. I downloaded everything and copied to a USB. How do I install it?
I have tried restoring from USB and gets stuck at 1%.
With my original restoring usb, it is quite fast...

EDIT:tried mixing original restore USB with downloaded files, gives an error at 67%
EDIT2: After restoring twice with original backup, Im able to use the new usb. So it finds only office and harware updates. So you can say that it works in Asus VivoTab RT

Last edited:

jwa4

Jun 2, 2020
ok,I´ve got an Asus Vivo tab RT. I downloaded everything and copied to a USB. How do I install it?
I have tried restoring from USB and gets stuck at 1%.
With my original restoring usb, it is quite fast...

EDIT:tried mixing original restore USB with downloaded files, gives an error at 67%
EDIT2: After restoring twice with original backup, Im able to use the new usb. So it finds only office and harware updates. So you can say that it works in Asus VivoTab RT

I'm unsure what might have caused the original problem but I'm glad it worked out. Which style of setup did you use?

If possible could you run this and send me the output after you have applied the hardware updates? I'm trying to collect the latest drivers for each device, at the moment the included drivers are just what are found in the recovery images.

dism /online /export-driver /destination:C:\DriverExport

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm unsure what might have caused the original problem but I'm glad it worked out. Which style of setup did you use?
WinRE
Btw, I found a problem with one update. It is system hardware update from 4/8/2014, 6,6Mb, as I install it, speakers get dissabled. As I can see, it changes the audio drivers from microsoft ones and more recent(2 months) to Nvidia ones, Im able to change the drivers to nvidia older ones, but cant recover microsoft ones.Will continue trying

jwa4

Jun 2, 2020
WinRE
Btw, I found a problem with one update. It is system hardware update from 4/8/2014, 6,6Mb, as I install it, speakers get dissabled. As I can see, it changes the audio drivers from microsoft ones and more recent(2 months) to Nvidia ones, Im able to change the drivers to nvidia older ones, but cant recover microsoft ones.Will continue trying

WinRE - Will check into it and try to replicate on a Surface (I don't have other devices).

Drivers - I might be better off leaving the included drivers as they are then, its interesting that the latest from Windows Update are causing problems.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Windows RT 8.1 IR5 Media Builder:

IR5_MB_00.PNG

This media builder will download Windows RT 8.1 IR5, download and integrate selected Windows Updates, integrate drivers and generate custom installation media ready for use on the selected device.

Mainstream support for Windows RT 8.1 ended January 9, 2018, and extended support for Windows RT 8.1 ended on January 10, 2023.

The use of this media builder or the media it produces is entirely at your own risk.

Download
    - User Guide
    - Discord Server
    - Telegram Channel

14/11/2023 - Windows RT 8.1 IR5 Media Builder - v2.52

This release is only available to users of Windows RT 8.1 IR5 Media Builder v2.50 and above as an update package which will be offered when Windows Media Builder is started.

- Office 2013 RT Home & Student Plus update lists updated to November 2023.
    - Corrected an issue that could cause rewriting output to fail.
    - Minor Fixes

20/10/2023 - Windows RT 8.1 IR5 Media Builder - v2.51

- Added some feedback to show what is happening when Apps are being added to the image.
    - Cleanup.cmd and Build.cmd can no longer be run at the same time.
    - Added an option to disable startup checks for script and download list updates.

13/09/2023 - Windows RT 8.1 IR5 Media Builder - v2.50
    - Corrected an issue which would cause writing to USB to fail if the output path contained parentheses.
    - Added notification and update option when a new Media Builder release is available.
    - Office 2013 RT Home & Student Plus update lists updated to September 2023.
    - Minor Fixes.

IR5_MB_01.PNG IR5_MB_02.PNG
    IR5_MB_03.PNG IR5_MB_04.PNG
    IR5_MB_05.PNG IR5_MB_07.PNG
    IR5_MB_08.PNG IR5_MB_09.PNG
    Reminder - Extended support for Windows RT 8.1 will end on January 10th 2023.
    Thank you. I will try this one.
    @jwa4: i also "found" another one of these, one that has the original AT&T LTE image on it, so that hopefully will have the stuff to restore LTE mode.
    > The "vivotab RT TG LT" one
    Is this similar (enough) to the "VivoTab RT TF600L" ?

If so... I can probably have access to one so I can create a recovery
    image off it...

--Fred
    An export of the drivers from a fully updated VivoTab RT that is running RT 8.1 (I only have an 8.0 recovery) would be very helpful, from what I've read elsewhere the recovery images are interchangeable between models but I don't have one to test it with. A fully copy of an RT 8.1 recovery for the device would also be great.

To export the drivers you should be able to do this if the device is reasonably up to date:
    Code:
    dism /online /export-driver /destination:C:\Driver_Export
    and zip the contents of "C:\Driver_Export".

If the version of DISM on the device is out of date you could run the attached copy.

Thanks!
    17/12/2020 - Windows_RT_8.1_IR5_Update_Kit_v1.6.zip
    17/12/2020 - Windows_RT_8.1_IR5_Update_Kit_v1.6_Appx.zip

- Added three additional update modes (None, Service Stack Only & Service Stack and Update 3 Only).
    - Added warning for languages that do not currently support App updates.
    - Added warning if an unmodified IR5 image is going to be created.
    - Removed Start Menu Update Discoverability notification if Update 3 is installed and Start Menu is enabled by default.

During testing I found that trying to update provisioned apps in Windows RT 8.1 IR5 for Saudi Arabia, Bulgaria, Germany, Croatia, Hungary, Russia and Slovakia results in the following error:
    App packages (.appx) cannot be serviced on an offline image after a user has logged into the image.
    I will try to find what causes this but for the moment these will be excluded from attempting app updates.

At this time I don't think there is going to be a solution for adding updates for Office 2013 RT offline.