[WINDOWS][TOOL]Fire Toolbox V11.0

Datastream33

Sep 17, 2017
Has anyone been able to get the these devices to connect using Parallels on the Mac? I couldn't get it to work no matter what I did. But if I used Virtual Box, it worked fine. I don't care for Virtual Box much so I'd like to use Parallels if I can. Hoping someone can tell me what they did to get it to work there. In the meantime, I can use Virtual Box.
Not quite sure how to do it in Parallels. Maybe this guide or this guide can help?

Datastream33

Sep 17, 2017
I used the toolkit a few weeks back, and everything went smoothly besides the volume buttons. Ever since I put nova launcher on my device using the toolkit, my volume buttons have not worked, and I've had to change the volume in the settings app. I have been trying to fix it myself but with no luck. If anyone knows how to re-enable them that would be very helpful!
Hmm, I searched through the Nova Launcher thread here on XDA and it appears this problem has appeared for a select few individuals and as far as i could tell never they never received an answer to possible fixes or solutions. However, I did come across this post and it claims all you need to do is disable USB Debugging (or ADB Debugging if you are on an older generation) and it should fix the volume buttons. You can give it a try and see if it resolves your issue. If not... I don't know what to tell you. Best of luck!

Reactions: blackout7583

Datastream33

Sep 17, 2017
had anyone had issues with the headphone jack? I've used this toolbox (great tool, thank you!) on two fire 10 HDs and theyve worked perfectly, however, the 3.5mm jack no longer works, when i use a 3.5mm to usb c converter it works, and my headphones work
both tablets do not input sound to the headphones when plugged in, in fact sound continues from the tablet as if i had not plugged anything in, any suggestions?
That's strange! Have you tried another pair of headphones in the 3.5mm jack?

Datastream33

Sep 17, 2017
Hey guys,

Just wanted to post an update regarding the next planned update. So far, a new tool will be added and as for other changes it will mostly focus on UI improvements and optimizations. An FAQ section will be added as well. So the reasoning for this post is... what questions would you like to see in the FAQ?

ToxicFire1

Apr 10, 2019
So i have a chrome cast here and when i either use google home app on the fire tablet to cast it just crashes and or if i use chrome browser to cast it crashes. Will there be a work around or is there something i need to do?

I know i tried back a few months ago and it did this but got the tablet back out of the box formatted it to try again and still same outcome.

can80an

Dec 17, 2011
Is there anything in the "Manage Everything Amazon", that when disabled, would prevent me from adding a second adult profile to my Fire 8 2020 tablet? I don't seem to have the option of adding an adult, but the add child option is available.
Perhaps my question should have been, 'Is there anyone with a Fire 8 2020 tablet able to create a second adult profile?'. From everything I have read, the documentation indicates I should be able to do this, but as I stated I can only create child profiles.

Thanks

Neil

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
Hey guys,

Just wanted to post an update regarding the next planned update. So far, a new tool will be added and as for other changes it will mostly focus on UI improvements and optimizations. An FAQ section will be added as well. So the reasoning for this post is... what questions would you like to see in the FAQ?
Anything related to play store issues example:
Q: Unable to install paid apps that I've already paid for A: install Google play games,

Also issues with home buttons not working after replacing fire launcher
(It may be a good idea to add a warning to the "custom launcher" screen about the risk of the home buttons no longer working)

wantpizza

Nov 3, 2007
Naperville
Hey Datastream33

Thanks for this toolbox. I know that you were asking for input for a FAQ section. I can't think of anything.

BUT - Not sure if this is possible or not - can you make the tool add exFAT or EXT4 file read/write support to the SD Card and/or the OTG port? exFAT support is in AOSP by default I think.

Sorry- I bet that is a pipe dream but I thought that I'd ask and to say
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

The toolbox did what it said and easily.

Regards,

blaacksheep

Jun 20, 2020
Buffalo
Hey Datastream33

Thanks for this toolbox. I know that you were asking for input for a FAQ section. I can't think of anything.

BUT - Not sure if this is possible or not - can you make the tool add exFAT or EXT4 file read/write support to the SD Card and/or the OTG port? exFAT support is in AOSP by default I think.

Sorry- I bet that is a pipe dream but I thought that I'd ask and to say
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

The toolbox did what it said and easily.

Regards,
I don't think that's possible on FireOS. I think because of licensing costs, Amazon has locked that out of the available options.

jbToo

Aug 16, 2020
Hey guys,

How about an FAQ entry for a recommended basic setup and list of steps. I found blaacksheep's steps to be very helpful, i.e. those at #3750 (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/windows-tool-fire-toolbox-v10-2.3889604/page-188#post-83983149)

DCWuk

Apr 9, 2015
Hi DataStream et al,

Love this toolbox, but I'm still having to reset the Play store/framework/etc every few day to use Google Play. I think this is my fault for having the children's profiles set-up under Google Family Link. I changed their registered birthdays a few days ago (so that their "new" age was effectively a day before their 13th birthday) and I have now received the emails from Google asking if they want to take control of their own profiles wef their "13th" brithday. I haven't gone any further yet, but will try de-linking one soon and see if solves the Google Play / Family Link "update" loop issue.

I'm currently using Microsoft Launcher and hoping that I can use Microsoft Family Safety as the parental control app in lieu of Google Family Link (although I can't install either yet). However, using the Microsoft Edge browser with their managed Microsoft accounts is allowing us to use one set of controls for limiting internet sites across both the PC and their Fire tab.

As for FAQs, some that would certainly help me (I've trawled back through the posts to try and find definitive answers / opinions) are:

1. FRESH OUT-OF-THE-BOX SET-UP:

* Should I register the tab with Amazon or lock everything down straight away and run it purely through Google Play? Implications of both routes?

* Before turning off OTA updates, should I update Fire OS to the latest version first? Implications? More recent security patches vs potentially introducing a more locked-down OS with problems in the future?

* Parental controls (and limitations).

2. RECOMMENDED SETTINGS / INITIAL CHANGES: (could even be a number of "one-click" options on the Toolbox?)

* For use as a pure Android device.

* For hybrid use as a Fire/Android device.

* For use as a child device (Fire only).

* For use as a child device (pure Android).

3. DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MODELS:

* What can't be done on Fire HD 10 (2019) that can be done on the other (rootable?) models? A bit of expectation management...

4. HOW TO RESET.

* Differences between hard/soft/OS resets. How to do each and implications (ie. what will need to be reset each time - such as turning off OTA again, etc).

These would be great to have "go-to" answers built in to the toolbox. Thanks in advance for all your and the wider team's hard work - it's hugely appreciated!

BoyDrone

Feb 2, 2013
So far this worked great for my daughters tablet, but I have two issues:
1. The child account with family link does not let Google Play update (similar issue occurs with rooting the device)
2. There is no way to remove the Google accounts from the tablet itself, must use the tool. Not terrible, but just an observation.

The question I have is:
Is there a method to expanding the RAM on this tablet with this tool without rooting the device?

deviant12no

Oct 28, 2010
Hi Datastream33,

Thanks for an awesome toolkit to make the Amazon Fire 8 a hassle free Android tablet!

I unfortunately ran into an issue that may have been caused by the most recent system update as I can no longer use Nova Launcher as my default launcher since Amazon removed this option from the Default apps menu in settings. Also noticed the addition of the Amazon Kids app, I can't recall if it was there before.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
So far this worked great for my daughters tablet, but I have two issues:
1. The child account with family link does not let Google Play update (similar issue occurs with rooting the device)
2. There is no way to remove the Google accounts from the tablet itself, must use the tool. Not terrible, but just an observation.

The question I have is:
Is there a method to expanding the RAM on this tablet with this tool without rooting the device?
Amazon fire tablets dont play nice with family link
(This is because family link only works with devices that are certified by Google)

You can access the users and accounts page on your tablet via this method:
1. Open the play store on your tablet
2. Click on your profile picture in the top right corner
3. Click "Manage accounts on this device"
And now the users and accounts page should open
(This can be done in some other Google apps)

And as for expanding the RAM I would be surprised if this is even possible on a rooted device.

blaacksheep

Jun 20, 2020
Buffalo
it cant find my fire 10 7th gen not even with this tool
Ummm....when did you last see it?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Do you mean that it doesn't show up in ADB and the toolbox doesn't see it? If so, make sure when you plug the tablet into the computer that you set the connection up as charge only, no data connection. You also have to have ADB debugging enabled.

Reactions: sr1sws

leonidas540bc

Jun 3, 2011
is there any way of running something like this on the tablet itself? My daughters kindle tablet just doesn't get recognised when it's plugged in to a computer - device not recognised - I think it's a dodgy usb socket...

blaacksheep

Jun 20, 2020
Buffalo
is there any way of running something like this on the tablet itself? My daughters kindle tablet just doesn't get recognised when it's plugged in to a computer - device not recognised - I think it's a dodgy usb socket...
Not really, or it would be more difficult than is practical to run the ADB shell commands necessary to produce the same results from the tablet itself. I would try several USB cables. They're not created equal! Secondly, are you sure you have the device driver loaded in Windows for the Fire tablet? If you're running Windows 7 this could be your problem. Search the thread for a description of how to install drivers for Windows 7. Do you have debugging enabled? Is your device connected in charge only configuration?
If yes to these questions then do you have access to another computer or laptop?