That worked, thanks so much!!!You need to place the file in a pre-existing installation. Meaning if you have Toolbox V14.2 installed you need to place the micropatch in that directory. Default path for installations is: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Datastream\Fire Toolbox Vx.x\
Where the x's above represents the toolbox version (example 14.2)
I've tried 14.3 and it worked (downloaded the "PlayServices-9.0_x32.7z") and installed the apps, but while cleaning up, the toolbox deleted the file "GoogleServices.7z", so on my second tablet, installation failed.Micropatch out
One step at a time I suppose. Thank for bringing this to my attention, and I'll be sure to look into it.I've tried 14.3 and it worked (downloaded the "PlayServices-9.0_x32.7z") and installed the apps, but while cleaning up, the toolbox deleted the file "GoogleServices.7z", so on my second tablet, installation failed.
I was able to reinstall the toolbox (which restored "GoogleServices.7z") and install the Google apps on the second tablet, but observed the same file deletion happening.
Looks like something's off in your cleanup logic.
Other than that, good work!
It is working now for Fire HD8 (2018). I have installed Google Services now.
Why, thank you so much! It overjoys me to hear that you're enjoying the Toolbox and what it has to offer! Thanks for taking the time to share your appreciation, it really does mean the world to me!@Datastream33 I wanted to do a double thank you for putting this Toolbox together. Double because after I used it to set up a tablet for my three year old great-grandson, I went in and ran it on a Fire HD 10 that I'd set up myself and had been using for a year, and danged if I wasn't able to get rid of Launcher Hijack and a bunch of other stuff I wasn't crazy about and add in a few more hacks I didn't even know about before.
Keep up the good work!
High Five Datastream33,Ok, I've updated the links for V14.0 to include all micropatches and bugfixes. Please let me know if you come across any other issues. I also want to thank you guys so much for being patient and so understanding when it comes to the mess that V14 brought. In addition, thank you so much for providing the command outputs... It really helped immensely! YOU GUYS ROCK!
Using v14.0 just downloaded this morning that shows build date today (4/8 12:22am)I think maybe Datastream33 should include a note about disabling OTA updates either in his first post or in the Toolbox itself. Every time Amazon pushes an update, everybody who didn't disable OTA updates flocks to the forums and complains that they had to run the Toolbox again.
Ok, I've updated the links for V14.0 to include all micropatches and bugfixes. Please let me know if you come across any other issues ... YOU GUYS ROCK!
Since the tool was broken yesterday, I used v13.1. Now how can I update? the button shows 'Google services (manage)' instead of 'Google services (install)' What have you done?I am very happy to report that based on the latest release (V14.x) that I am able to successfully uninstall and then reinstall/update Google Play Store on 2 devices -
has been keeping my/our devices as current as possible, was done via V13.1 before
Thanks!Since you already have Google Play Services theres no need to run the Google Services tool, (Theres no difference between the Toolbox installing apps and you installing apps manually)
I dont think a factory reset is nessesary unless you want to do it with a fresh start,
Since you seem to be not be 100% sure on what you should and should not do i will give my recommendations:
1. Disable OTA & Automatic Updates
• Updates on Fire Tablets only add more Bloat,
• Ruin any chance of getting Root or installing a custom ROM,
• Revert changes made by the toolbox, and could break toolbox functions,
(Root & a Custom ROM require expliots which may or may not be avaliable depending on you tablet & FireOS version)
2. Remove Lockscreen Ads
If you tablet has lockscreen ads you can either disable them via the toolbox or
Contact amazon with some fake story (example: i didnt know the tablet came with ads) and they might perminantly disable them for you
(but the chances of the story working are 50/50 and you need to be signed in with a amazon account and have everything enabled, so you would have to try this before anything else i recommend, (you can disable stuff after the story)
3. Disable any amazon apps you do not need or want
(i recommend choosing the manual option and manually disabling apps)
4. Install a different keyboard (optional)
(either via the toolbox or you can find one on the playstore or github, gitlab, etc)
Then once you have a different keyboard installed and setup, go to the "Manage Amazon Apps" tool and disable Fire Keyboard.
(For keyboards i recommend Openboard or Florisboard or SimpleKeyboard)
5. Install a Custom Launcher (Optional but recommended)
(If the "Disable Fire Launcher" method isnt present then i wouldnt do this)
A few tips on this:
• install launchers via playstore or other source and test which one you want
• you are not limited to the launchers the toolbox offers you (explaned below)
Find the launcher you want
(make sure you have it installed when running the custom launcher tool)
Run the "Custom Launcher" tool in the toolbox select a launcher
(if the Launcher you want is not in the list then just select a random launcher)
If the one you wanted was in the list then you it will be the default launcher and your good to go.
If you choose to go with a launcher thats not in the list then,
after you run the Custom Launcher on your tablet you will be asked which launcher you want select the one you installed earlier and uninstall the one the toolbox installed.
6. if your tablet is running FireOS 7 (Andorid 9) go to: Modify System Settings > System UI and under the Navigation bar options remove the "Device Dashboard" icon
Those are the things i recommend you do, anything else is optional.
- Settings: Added "Kill ADB on Close" to the General category.
- Theming: Fixed a bug preventing the background of forms from changing to match the current theme.
- Modified System Settings: Added the Quicksettings Modifier subtool to the System UI category.
- Google Assistant: All packages pertaining to Alexa are now disabled/hidden instead of just the Alexa app.
- Device Detection: Added support for the new Fire HD 10 (Trona) tablet.
- Hybrid Apps: Updated Disney+ to the latest version.
- YouTube Clients: Updated clients to the latest version.
- Android Debug Bridge: Updated client from version 29.0.4 to 31.0.2.
- Main Menu: Fixed the next/previous button tooltip from displaying 3 pages even though there are only 2.
- Theming: Added the "Eurasian Teal" theme.
Toolbox V18.0 - Changelog
• [Manage Amazon Apps] Added Fire Launcher and Fire Keyboard to the manual app list.
• [Lockscreen Management (Disable Lockscreen)] Fixed bug causing Swipe security to be detected as lockscreen already being disabled.
• [Hybrid Apps] Added ability to check for and install updates for supported Hybrid Apps.
• [Google Services] Added warning message regarding updating system apps from the Play Store.
• [General] Improved the speed of checking for packages.
• [Youtube Clients] Updated clients to the latest versions.
• [Modify System Settings] Upon disabling the navigation bar it will no longer appear in landscape mode.
• [Modify System Settings] Added the ability to customize the navigation bar layout for tablets running Android 9 and above.
• [Modify System Settings] Added the ability to toggle the visibility of the Device Dashboard Icon to the System UI category.
• [Toolbox Updater] The Updater now adopts the Toolbox's theme.
• [TBShell] Removed from project.
• [Frequently Asked Questions] Now opens in the default browser instead of the Toolbox's Browser.
Is there a way to stop/prevent the shortcuts that are created each time the Toolbox is launched?
Yep, that should do the trick!Yes, Go to %localappdata%\Datastream\Fire Toolbox v17.1\bin\Settings and edit the settings.txt file. About 2/3 of the way down is TBShortcutMade=0. Change the 0 to 1 and save the file.
edit: OR right-click on your Toolbox shortcut and select 'Open file location', double-click 'bin', double-click 'settings', and edit 'settings.txt'.
Hi, i went with a factory reset and it went through fine this time, everything is now working thanksThis sounds like its a Play Store issue, i would try a factory reset,
if that doesnt work then i dont think theres anything you can do besides leave the lock screen enabled.
* If you are on Windows 8.1 or below the drivers for "Fire" WILL FAIL. This is normal and is to be expected.
* If you are on Windows 8.1 or below the drivers for "Fire" WILL FAIL. This is normal and is to be expected.
Tablet: Amazon Fire HD8 (2018) Device Codename: karnak
* Settings: Welcome Screen has been added to General Settings and can be toggled on/off at any time
* Settings: Settings now opens in a new window.
* Settings: The UI has been updated.
* Manage Everything Amazon (Manual): When selecting an app it no longer appears in the output field.
* Manage Everything Amazon (Manual): the bug preventing the Camera and Calculator from being hidden on gens 7 and below has been fixed.
* Update Manager: After a successful update you can migrate your settings from the old version to the new one.
* Youtube Clients: Updated NewPipe and Smart Youtube TV to the latest versions.
* Manage Everything Amazon: Restore/Debloat now works with Toolbox added users.
* Device Detection: Support for the brand new Fire HD 8+ (2020) model have been added.
* Welcome Screen: Bug causing the Toolbox to close if the Toolbox wasn't installed to the default location has been fixed.
* Lockscreen Wallpaper: Gens 8+ can now change the lockscreen wallpaper without the use of WallChanger.
* User Management: The users list is now stored on the tablet itself instead of on the local PC.
* User Management: The Switch Users subtool has been added.
* User Management: When a user is removed the user is now properly removed from the users list.
* Manage Everything Amazon: Users created by the User Management tool can now utilize Remove/Restore Everything Amazon.
* Main Menu: The settings icon has been changed.
* Improved "Remove Everything Amazon" tool for Fire HD 8 and 10 (2017) models.
* Standard Shells in the "Adb Shells" tool now opens in a seperate window.
* The About page in the Settings now contains a direct link to the XDA Forum.
* Updated Automate, Launcher Hijack, GBoard, Nova Launcher, Smart Youtube TV, and YouTube Vanced apks to the latest version.
* Updated Mtk-su to version 9.
* Unwanted buttons have been removed from various tool UIs.
* NEW THEME: Terminal!
* Back and forward page buttons now match the current theme.
* The titlebar on the Main Menu now displays the number of pages, and the current page the user is on.
* Updater and Notification Center now use the Toolbox's current theme.
* Fixed padding issue with Device Found message.
* Fixed a Notification Center bug that prevented it from getting the notification from the server.
* Back button located in Sideload Apps tool has now been moved to the actionbar to the bottom left hand corner.
* NEW TOOL: Install Google Assistant!
* Architecture detection for the "Temporary Root Shell" tool has been reworked and improved.
* Upon startup the Toolbox will look for Fire tablet drivers and if drivers aren't found it will offer to install them