This happens unfortunately sometimes when installing micropatches. Let's try updating the shortcuts and see if that works. Let's get started:
- Delete the shortcuts for Fire Toolbox, and Toolbox Updater from the Desktop.
- Hold the Windows key and while the key is being held press the R key to pull up the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog type: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Datastream and press ENTER.
- Look for Fire Toolbox V20.1, double click it, and ensure Fire Toolbox.exe exists within the directory.
- Double click the bin folder, then double click the Settings folder.
- Double-click Settings.txt to open it in Notepad.
- Change the string TBShortcutMade=1 to TBShortcutMade=0
- Save and close the Settings.txt file.
- Go back to the root folder (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Datastream\Fire Toolbox V20.1)
- Double-click Fire Toolbox.exe.
That should do it, the Toolbox should now place new shortcuts on the Desktop directing to the proper folder. Let me know if you come across any other issues. Thanks so much and please have a great day!
Resolved.Hello Datastream33, hope all's well.
Unfortunately, I'm having the same "unhandled exception" problem.
Toolbox was running smoothly but after using the New User setup guide the "unhandled exception" popup problem arose & it is relentless, won't stop popping up.
I've tried your instructions above but the 1st problem arises when:
The bin folder does not contain a Settings folder - only "ToolboxResources".
- Double click the bin folder, then double click the Settings folder.
I had downloaded the micropatch at the start before running the toolbox.
After I tried the above instructions, I figured to uninstall the toolbox & redownload but the toolbox does not even show up on my installed programs list (??).
Could you please advise on what to do next to get the toolbox functioning correctly.
Thank you for your help in advance.
thank you, i did that already but wanted to know what causing this to happen? is some file r currupt in my system? cause i factory reset but still happened. and wondering r some kindle fire 10 hd user have same problem?
I have no idea what was causing this to notification, i have never seen a notification from "Alexa Video Player" or heard of anybody else having it either,
Thank you so much. I did just as you said and both have been disabled. Thank you again for all the help.I just had a thought. You may not have disabled OTA and Automatic updates. This would leave your tablet open to new updates (I like to think of them as attacks) by Amazon. Such updates restore their ads, restore their launcher, and add new "features" that you probably don't want. I recommend going through the settings in toolbox, especially Modify System Settings on page 2 and making sure that the first 2 switches (OTA Updates & Automatic Updates) are turned off. Also, on page 1, go to Manage Amazon Apps and select Manually Disable under Disable Amazon Apps. Hover your mouse over each app for a description of what effect disabling it has and select the ones you don't need/want. If something stops working you can always re-enable the app that caused it to fail from Manual restore. If you have questions, you're in the right place to ask.
Edit: I sure hope that @Datastream33 appends status indicators (enabled/disabled) to the Manage Amazon Apps Manual Enable/Disable screens in a future update!!!
Just picked up an HD 10 at Best Buy for $100!! Installed toolbox and everything went great. Only problem is I can't create website shortcuts on the home screen. On Chrome, the "add to home screen" option doesn't appear in the menu. So I tried Firefox and the "add page shortcut" is grayed out. I have another HD 10 and have no trouble adding web site shortcuts to the home screen. I should add that both tablets have the same version of Chrome (84.0.4147.125) Any suggestions?
I'd firstly like to apologize for the inconvenience. I don't know what's going on with the micropatch but it seems something went awry and perhaps it's corrupted. As a result, It has been removed from the update server and the patch will be shipped with the next update instead.Resolved.
I just redownloaded the "Version 20.0 - Installer (.exe)" & did not DL the micropatch.
Once toolbox opened the "unhandled exception" pop-up came up but once I clicked continue & closed the micropatch DL option the toolbox is now running smoothly & no more "unhandled exception" pop-up.
I checked over the toolbox files (Run: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Datastream) & now I have to complete file folders (i.e. adb, bin, Fire Toolbox.exe, ToolboxUpdater.exe, unins000.dat, unins000.exe)
The 1st install only had the bin folder w "ToolboxResources" photo thumbnails & the Fire Toolbox.exe.
I have no idea what happened the 1st time DL but after the 2nd DL & not choosing the micropatch seems to have fixed everything. Hopefully, it will be stable now.
Out of curiosity would you have an idea of what exactly happened the 1st DL? Although I'm not a developer (obviously lol) I like to understand & educate myself whenever possible so that I can have a better understanding next time, should something like this happen again.
Here's what happened: the 1st DL had the incorrect device labeled at the homepage but was working smoothly up until after the initial New User setup - was able to correctly install Nova Launcher & Google Play. I went through all the steps except the "Manage Amazon Apps" & went back to it after the New User setup & that's when the "unhandled exception" pop-up occurred & continued constantly until I did the 2nd reinstall of the "Version 20.0 - Installer (.exe)" & did not DL the micropatch.
Thank you again for this Fire Toolbox, it's awesome & much appreciated.
Yeah, the micropatch is causing nothing but issues at the moment. It has since been removed from the update server. Anyways, thanks so much for the report!Hey thanks for the toolbox! VERY helpful! Especially for an amateur like me!
A couple things to report... I had major issues with the toolbox program itself after installing the v20.1 micropatch and had to walk it back to 20.0. Almost everything I tried to do triggered the same error message. I can't remember what it said (sorry). But it allowed me to either close the app, continue (ignore the problem), or view a (rather lengthy) detail log. Most of the time I could just continue without issues. Once or twice something didn't work. I'm tempted to say that it said something about not being able to find files, which may have something to do with the other much less menacing issue I still have (having reinstalled 20.0)... When I go to the settings menu and click the "About" button, in the window that pops up, the "Open Installation Directory" button and the "Open ADB Directory" button both point to an invalid directory, "C:\Users\[MY_USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Datastream\Fire". I believe the final folder in the directory should be "Fire Toolbox V20.0".
Yep, that's 100% correct. Parental Controls (PC) is set as the Device Administrator and I believe manages the primary user's profile as well. As a result, there is nothing we can do to remove it without root.
If you don't use Alexa you could try manually disabling the Alexa Video Player app:
adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.amazon.cardinal
Hmm, I'm not too sure if this can be done through software without root. I'd probably take it up at the power-source.Hi, does this toolbox have the capability to cycle using battery and then take power? Would like to use it for a wall mounted tablet and not have continuous power driven to it but wonder if this can be done via toolbox or I would need to have that automated at the power-source?
Again not sure if this is the appropriate forum to post in, but i'll try anyway (sorry if it isn't correct)
Past couple of days, have had semi hot back of my fire 7, so i disabled the 3rd launcher and i installed thid CPU monitor, it shows usage of 100%!!
how could i check CPU usage via adb?
and i uninstalled basically every app on my tablet
adb shell "ps | grep u0"
adb shell top
Hmm, yeah that's kind of strange...
Hmm, great find my friend!I was having this same issue and I think I figured out why. Seems like after loading a custom launcher through the fire toolbox, the default launcher doesn't get fully set properly.
Problem: Chrome's "Add to Home screen" option is missing (after installing a custom launcher, like Nova).
The fire tablet doesn't seem to have an option in the system settings to switch/set your default launcher, which is probably part of the issue. An alternate solution would be to install an application like Home Switch by Stu Alsford from the google play store / aurora store and set your default launcher with that (without having to install a second launcher first). You can uninstall it afterward.
- Install two launchers through Fire Toolbox, then press the tablet's home button (center/circular button on bottom-nav bar), select your preferred launcher, then tap "ALWAYS" to set it as default.
- You can now uninstall the launcher you don't want (swipe up from the bottom to open the app drawer, long-press on the launcher icon, and there should be an Uninstall/trash icon).
After properly setting the default launcher (and closing/restarting your browser), the "Add to Home screen" option in the top-right menu for most browsers will be visible now (for some--probably PWA--websites, Firefox's option will be called "Install", and the icon will launch the website without toolbars).
Fire Toolbox V24.0 - Changelog
- [Settings] Improved the speed of reading and writing setting changes.
- [Settings] Added an option to toggle off and on the Notification Center in the Startup category.
- [Tools] Added a brand new tool, the Notification Center!
- [Modify System Settings] When restoring default settings, only the settings in the currently selected category will be restored instead of restoring all settings.
- [Modify System Settings] Added the Networking tab, and a setting to change the DNS Resolver.
- [Manage Amazon Apps] Apps that have already been disabled are now removed from the manual selection list (new gen only for now.
- [Manage Amazon Apps] Added the Restore tab, and removed the debloat/restore radiobuttons.
- [Manage Amazon Apps] The Console output is now retained, instead of cleared after every operation.
- [Sideload Apps] The Toolbox now supports sideloading XAPK files!
- [Power Options] Redesigned and improved the UI.
- [Manage Amazon Apps] Fixed incorrect package name for IMBd TV.
- [YouTube Clients] Updated all clients to the latest versions.
- [Main Menu] Improved the look of the UI's buttons, and improved the update speed of the Tool Descriptions.
- [Hybrid Apps] Updated the download links for Disney+.
- [Theming] Fixed a bug that prevented Main Menu from adopting the Toolbox's current theme sometimes on launch.
- [Google Services (Manage)] Add an option to update the Play Services app.
Not so fast with the panic;-)Oh, you're right! You're on the latest version and still getting the error? That's not good...
I sincerely hope the error isn't a direct result of the tablets not being Play Certified. According to Google, devices that aren't certified:
We may want to look at alternative third-party solutions such as Aurora Store...
- Devices that aren't Play Protect certified may not be secure.
- Devices that aren't Play Protect certified may not get Android system updates or app updates.
- Google apps on devices that aren't Play Protect certified aren't licensed and may not be real Google apps.
- Apps and features on devices that aren't Play Protect certified may not work correctly.
- Data on devices that aren't Play Protect certified may not back up securely.
Heres what i recommend:
|Amazon Fire 10/10+ (2021)|
|Amazon Fire 8/8+ (2020)|
|Amazon Fire 10 (2019)|
|Amazon Fire 7 (2019)|
|Amazon Fire 8 (2018)|
|Amazon Fire 10 (2017)|
|Amazon Fire 8 (2017)|
|Amazon Fire 7 (2017)|
|Amazon Fire HD8 (2016)|
|Amazon Fire HD10 (2015)|
|Amazon Fire HD8 (2015)|
|Amazon Fire HD7 (2015)|
|Amazon Fire HD7 (2014)|
|Amazon Fire HD6 (2014)|
*Halloween Edition (V24.1)
*What's going on, guys? I hope everyone is having a wonderful October so far!
Hey, speaking of October... it's now spooky season! If you didn't know. Halloween is my FAVORITE holiday of all time! In celebration, I've prepared a fun little limited time theme for the Toolbox. I won't spoil it with any screenshots. Don't be scared, my friends... cop yourself the limited time Fire Toolbox V24.1 (Halloween Edition) build and experiance the spook!
**Due to an accidental deletion of code in the Remove Lockscreen Ads Run click event, the subtool was having issues launching. Please see the Bug Fix post, it includes a build that fixes this oversight. Sorry for the incovenice and please have a terrific day!
Extended debloat list designed to disable/hide packages the Toolbox currently doesn't support.
Tablet: Amazon Fire HD8 (2018)[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT] [INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Device Codename: karnak
* Settings: Welcome Screen has been added to General Settings and can be toggled on/off at any time
* Settings: Settings now opens in a new window.
* Settings: The UI has been updated.
* Manage Everything Amazon (Manual): When selecting an app it no longer appears in the output field.
* Manage Everything Amazon (Manual): the bug preventing the Camera and Calculator from being hidden on gens 7 and below has been fixed.
* Update Manager: After a successful update you can migrate your settings from the old version to the new one.
* Youtube Clients: Updated NewPipe and Smart Youtube TV to the latest versions.
* Manage Everything Amazon: Restore/Debloat now works with Toolbox added users.
* Device Detection: Support for the brand new Fire HD 8+ (2020) model have been added.
* Welcome Screen: Bug causing the Toolbox to close if the Toolbox wasn't installed to the default location has been fixed.
* Lockscreen Wallpaper: Gens 8+ can now change the lockscreen wallpaper without the use of WallChanger.
* User Management: The users list is now stored on the tablet itself instead of on the local PC.
* User Management: The Switch Users subtool has been added.
* User Management: When a user is removed the user is now properly removed from the users list.
* Manage Everything Amazon: Users created by the User Management tool can now utilize Remove/Restore Everything Amazon.
* Main Menu: The settings icon has been changed.
* Improved "Remove Everything Amazon" tool for Fire HD 8 and 10 (2017) models.
* Standard Shells in the "Adb Shells" tool now opens in a seperate window.
* The About page in the Settings now contains a direct link to the XDA Forum.
* Updated Automate, Launcher Hijack, GBoard, Nova Launcher, Smart Youtube TV, and YouTube Vanced apks to the latest version.
* Updated Mtk-su to version 9.
* Unwanted buttons have been removed from various tool UIs.
* NEW THEME: Terminal!
* Back and forward page buttons now match the current theme.
* The titlebar on the Main Menu now displays the number of pages, and the current page the user is on.
* Updater and Notification Center now use the Toolbox's current theme.
* Fixed padding issue with Device Found message.
* Fixed a Notification Center bug that prevented it from getting the notification from the server.
* Back button located in Sideload Apps tool has now been moved to the actionbar to the bottom left hand corner.
* NEW TOOL: Install Google Assistant!
* Architecture detection for the "Temporary Root Shell" tool has been reworked and improved.
* Upon startup the Toolbox will look for Fire tablet drivers and if drivers aren't found it will offer to install them