[WINDOWS/LINUX][TOOL]Fire Toolbox V33.1

Search This thread

Aleross187

Dec 1, 2021
I try to install the play store and the fire toolbox starts then just closes. I dont understand why it keeps crashing. I am able to disable the amazon apps but not install play store any help? What .net framework is req for the toolbox to work.. it does sometimes give me a error?

I think it might be a bug because I tried version 24 and it works with that version.

Last edited:
I'm getting significant slowdowns building up over time on my new hd10 until launching apps takes forever. I normally give up after 20 seconds and swipe everything away and potentially run sdmaid or ccleaner or reboot.

I'm on 7.3.2.1 and setup using toolbox 25.2 choosing recommended option on debloat. No hybrid apps.

Anyone else getting the same or similar?

Apps like "sdmaid" and "ccleaner" are useless for cleaning purposes, get rid of apps like the two just mentioned and download the free version of Bitdefender run a scan, take any action if needed, then remove Bitdefender.
Thanks @Falcon342 . I was expecting the cleaning advice re ccleaner and I would normally agree but in this case, terminating foreground apps does give me an instant marked speed boost. SDMaid on the other hand I always believed to be pretty much the only cleaning app actually worth bothering with.
Edit: Oh, and Google Files
Anyways, I'll uninstall both and run bitdefender :)

Last edited:
Screenshot_20211207-150118~2.png

Kurosaki OS

Dec 4, 2021
Good afternoon, what happened to the Windows app? A new version of Fire os has come out and it no longer works, launcher hijack uninstalls itself and then a message appears saying that it is no longer supported, please, I need help, I have the Fire Tablet 8
10 generation

XRaiderV18

May 12, 2019
so...can this be used to change the fire tablet from an almost perennial 'dark' mode to light mode? kind of gets a little...depressing seeing white text on black pages in the system settings and whatnot.

thering1975

Aug 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Good afternoon, what happened to the Windows app? A new version of Fire os has come out and it no longer works, launcher hijack uninstalls itself and then a message appears saying that it is no longer supported, please, I need help, I have the Fire Tablet 8
10 generation

Hi, not sure if you actually read the last 5 pages or so, but currently certain features do not work if your device shipped with the latest fire os or if you updated before applying the toolbox

Reactions: blaacksheep

sorenkair

Dec 8, 2021
hello,

i tried changing the resolution on my fire hd 10 (2021) with

adb shell wm size 1280x800
adb shell wm density 600
adb reboot

after reboot it defaults to portrait mode and i can only see the default wallpaper. nothing happens when i touch the screen. if i tilt it to landscape it disappears. if i hold power button a large grey box moving up and down appears, with 3 options to power off, restart, and lockdown. i cant authorize debugging to use firebox.

i think i should have set density to 150? i just followed someone's instructions.

also, it had already auto updated fireOS when i did this.

xflier

Nov 4, 2008
Try again. Like all things customer service... It's a roll of the dice on who you get. I live in Kansas City, domestic, and had no issue. I used online chat support session.
Yea, I tried again today, and succeeded. Thanks. The ads is gone now. Can I change the default launcher now? I saw some posts about changing navigation bar, and then could replace the launcher. Not sure how to do it exactly.

Reactions: Comando156

blaacksheep

Jun 20, 2020
Buffalo
hello,

i tried changing the resolution on my fire hd 10 (2021) with

adb shell wm size 1280x800
adb shell wm density 600
adb reboot

after reboot it defaults to portrait mode and i can only see the default wallpaper. nothing happens when i touch the screen. if i tilt it to landscape it disappears. if i hold power button a large grey box moving up and down appears, with 3 options to power off, restart, and lockdown. i cant authorize debugging to use firebox.

i think i should have set density to 150? i just followed someone's instructions.

also, it had already auto updated fireOS when i did this.

You've probably had to reset your tablet by now as I don't know of any other way out of your situation. I just want to make you aware of the Density Modifier tool in the Toolbox. It's second from the bottom on the left of the first menu page. I suspect you were trying to make everything larger to see it better. In that case you'll want to go to a lower number. The default is 224 for your tablet. Try 200 or 180 first. You can always do it again with another value.

Reactions: middle_road

brandypuff

Jul 5, 2012
Yea, I tried again today, and succeeded. Thanks. The ads is gone now. Can I change the default launcher now? I saw some posts about changing navigation bar, and then could replace the launcher. Not sure how to do it exactly.
What did you tell them? I talked with 4 agents and none would budge from the $15 charge

xflier

Nov 4, 2008
What did you tell them? I talked with 4 agents and none would budge from the $15 charge
I just started with that I purchased a tablet and noticed the ads on the lock screen, wondering if it could be removed. The agent replied with asking for serial number and 15$ charge. I replied I saw some online posts of removing it for free. Agent replied true, but not for all devices, and would like to check with his lead if he could do it for free for me. Next got back it was removed now. That was all. Good luck!

brandypuff

Jul 5, 2012
I just started with that I purchased a tablet and noticed the ads on the lock screen, wondering if it could be removed. The agent replied with asking for serial number and 15$ charge. I replied I saw some online posts of removing it for free. Agent replied true, but not for all devices, and would like to check with his lead if he could do it for free for me. Next got back it was removed now. That was all. Good luck!
Geez, I tried everything. They removed ads on my first tablet for free but are refusing to remove them on my tab 10. I even had them escalate my issue, told them that I never buy anything from ads, that the ads weren't relavent, that I purchased 3 tablets from them and spent a boatload of money at Amazon over the years, threatened to return the tablet - all for nothing. Unbelievable...

Oniyuri

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time posting (in this forum).

It's been a long time since I've had to tinker with my own devices so maybe I'm out of practice here. I've followed the instructions to the tee about using the fire toolbox (not connecting to wi fi, killed off OTA, installed nova launcher, used standard debloater....) but I'm hoping someone could help me with this: I'm setting up a kindle fire hd 8 (10th gen) for my kid and I can't seem to get the parental controls working. I'm assuming this may have to do with me not registering the device with amazon. Is there any way I can get it working or should I be looking at an external solution.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

blaacksheep

Jun 20, 2020
Buffalo
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time posting (in this forum).

It's been a long time since I've had to tinker with my own devices so maybe I'm out of practice here. I've followed the instructions to the tee about using the fire toolbox (not connecting to wi fi, killed off OTA, installed nova launcher, used standard debloater....) but I'm hoping someone could help me with this: I'm setting up a kindle fire hd 8 (10th gen) for my kid and I can't seem to get the parental controls working. I'm assuming this may have to do with me not registering the device with amazon. Is there any way I can get it working or should I be looking at an external solution.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

I believe just signing in to Shop Amazon will register your device. If you removed it, just re-enable it under Manage Everything Amazon, and sign in. Then you can disable it again if you like.

Reactions: Oniyuri

Oniyuri

Ok, I've run into another problem. I tried to switch accounts on this tablet but now I can't login to the play store. I originally logged the device out of my main email to switch to one of my subs and now it won't let me login in anymore. Every time I hit the log in button, the screen just turns black and then hangs until I stop the app myself. If I try to login again, the same thing happens.

So far, I've tried uninstalling play services and reinstalling but still no luck.

Any ideas on what I should be doing next?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    I've got something weird going on. Fire Max 11 was working as well as could be expected with running 8.3.x.x

But about a week ago I had an issue with apps installed from the Play Store not opening. For example, Plex, when I click the app icon, you get the animation like the app is opening with the Plex graphics but then it crashes or something and goes back to the app drawer. This also happened for Netflix but I was able to uninstall/reinstall through FTB.

I tried sideloading Plex through FTB... it installed but it still crashes when launching.

I don't know if this is due to a recent Amazon Fire OS update. I've tried disabling OTA updates by setting metered wifi connections but occasionally I have to set back to unmetered to download large files.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Have a solution/fix? Should I factory reset and start over? Is FTB working to potentially defeat Amazon Fire 8.3.x.x issues?

Thanks!

Your Plex issue is typical of sideloaded apps, especially media streaming apps. Part of the general app incompatibility of FireOS and Google Play infrastructure. Apps relying on Google Play Framework to function will invariably have some degree of problems.

Wherever possible, always try to install apps from Amazon AppStore. Devs from major brand-name companies have coded/recoded their apps to run specifically on the Amazon ecosystem. Official Plex and Netfix apps are available on Amazon AppStore. If you choose this route, uninstall all previous sideloaded apps to avoid app version conflict.

Another option is to use Plex ( and Netfix) web app from your browser of choice; agnostic to OS platform and should run smoothly.

Also a better, more robust solution to blocking OTA updates and adware is to use RethinkDNS firewall/DNS resolver app; more reiable than just using metered WiFi connections. Technically a little more difficult to implement but well worth the effort. FTB Community recommended. @blaacksheep (mentor to the Community) has a great guide outlining the process under his sig.

A factory reset is a drastic process and probably won't improve your app compatability issues at this time.

Ongoing app incompatibility/instability is a continuing legacy of the great Amazon/Google corprate feud of 2017-2019. FTB is caught in the crossfire and can only mitigate some of the problems. ☹️
    So I was lucky that things worked normally previously? Before this randomly stopped working, I'd never had problems on this Fire 11 Max, nor 3 other Fire HD+ 8s that I've owned.

I've since deleted my side loaded Plex install and attempted to install Plex from the Amazon Appstore but for some reason the App store shows a button to 'Open' Plex and no option to install or uninstall Plex. Not sure what's going on there.

I'll definitely look into ReThinkDNS as that sounds like a much more convenient solution than constantly toggling back and forth between metered/unmetered.
    There's a strange dynamic between FireOS and Google Play Framework. Just when you think you have a stable setup , Amazon/Google will release an update which will upset your mods (for better or worse) . That's why blocking Amazon OTA updates is so important; Google releases updates at least monthly (but often more frequently) and there is no specific process to block Google updates. What works today could be unraveled by an update tomorrow.

The Plex problem is caused by conflicting Plex app versions as discussed earlier; even though you uninstalled Plex (Play Store), there maybe remnants of cod/settings that is confusing Plex(AppStore) to think that Plex (AppStore) is already installed.

To do a thoroughly cleanup your setup, you should reinstall Plex from Play Store , then:

- from Settings > Apps & Notifications > > open See all xx apps > select and open Plex > Force Stop Plex > open Storage and tap Clear Storage and tap Clear Cache
    - Reboot tablet to repopulate Amazon App Store status > then back up a level to App Info , tap Uninstall

This should have cleared all the Plex (Play Store) settings and should allow you to install Plex (AppStore).

To complicate matters, Play Store will probably still show an entry for Plex.; uninstalled apps are part of the uninstalled Play Sore app database (to make for easy reinstallation). Open the Plex description and de-select "Enable auto-update"

This is a convoluted process, but is necessary to prevent auto-updating of apps from the "wrong" app store.

To be prudent, it may be good practice to disable universal auto-updating in both AppStore and Play Store to present app version update conflict.

Sorry for awkward process, but that's part of the Amazon/Google way of life (as I know it) !

Installing RethinkDNS is a good thing and will give you a lot more "peace of mind".
    Bad cable, bad port, dirty connector, or other Android device on the network are the most probable cause.

You DID have it connected before, right? It's not a driver issue, is it?
    Bad cable. First time ever.
    Trust me, it won't be your last! Glad you got it sorted. :)
    Cheapest generic part on a low budget tablet ... Will come back to bite you every time ... It's the Amazon way !
    USB Debugging is on, but the HD8 Plus won't connect.

Usually, ADB connect problems can be fixed by
    • Shut down Toolbox on your PC
    • Disconnecting your tablet from PC
    • On your tablet, go into Settings > Device Options > Developer Options and then "Revoke USB debugging authorizations"
    • Turn USB debugging off, then back on
    • Reconnect your tablet to PC, making sure your tablet stays on
    • Relaunch Toolbox and your PC should say "Awaiting authorization"
    • On your tablet, tick the box that says "Always allow this connection" and then authorize the connection
    (It's like when you first connected them together.) That should do it. Let us know if it works for you. :) You may need to change your connection mode to PTP (picture mode) or File Transfer mode in the pull-down menu. I've found that later model tablets need PTP mode more often than not to work.

Fire Toolbox V33.1
    All-In-One Toolbox for Fire Tablets!

FTBV32.png

Introduction.png

The Fire Toolbox is a collection of useful ADB (Android Debug Bridge) tweaks that can be applied to Amazon's Fire Tablets. The Toolbox project aims to help users fully customize and unlock the full potential of their tablets by putting all the power into their hands.
    The Toolbox doesn't touch the system partition meaning all changes made can be reversed either through the tools/subtools themselves or through a factory reset. This means the Toolbox does NOT void your warranty.

DeviceCompat.png

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING FIREOS 7.3.2.2+ AND THE TOOLBOX (PLEASE READ)

If your tablet is running FireOS 7.3.2.2 or above please note that some functions of the Toolbox may not work due to new restrictions in the new firmware. The following tools either do not work or have limited functionality:

• OTA Updates - OTAs can no longer be disabled, but can be restricted.
    • Manage Amazon Apps - Some system apps can no longer be disabled.

We're looking into workarounds to the issues detailed above. Please keep an eye on the forum for further development.

Device Name:
    *Generation:
    FireOS Version
    Base Android Version
    **Restricted
    Amazon Fire HD 10 (2023)
    13​
    8​
    11​
    Yes (8.3.1.9+)​
    Amazon Fire Max 11 (2023)
    13​
    8​
    11​
    Yes (8.3.1.9+)​
    Amazon Fire 8 (2022)
    12​
    8​
    11​
    Yes (8.3.1.9+)​
    Amazon Fire 7 (2022)
    12​
    8​
    11​
    Yes (8.3.1.9+)​
    Amazon Fire 10/10+ (2021)
    11​
    7​
    9​
    Yes (7.3.2.2+)​
    Amazon Fire 8/8+ (2020)
    10​
    7​
    9​
    Yes (7.3.2.2+)​
    Amazon Fire 10 (2019)
    9​
    7​
    9​
    Yes (7.3.2.2+)​
    Amazon Fire 7 (2019)
    9​
    7​
    9​
    Yes (7.3.2.2+)​
    Amazon Fire 8 (2018)
    8​
    7​
    9​
    Yes (7.3.2.2+)​
    Amazon Fire 10 (2017)
    7​
    5​
    5.1​
    No
    Amazon Fire 8 (2017)
    7​
    5​
    5.1​
    No
    Amazon Fire 7 (2017)
    7​
    5​
    5.1​
    No
    Amazon Fire HD8 (2016)
    6​
    5​
    5.1​
    No
    Amazon Fire HD10 (2015)
    5​
    5​
    5.1​
    No
    Amazon Fire HD8 (2015)
    5​
    5​
    5.1​
    No
    Amazon Fire HD7 (2015)
    5​
    5​
    5.1​
    No
    Amazon Fire HD7 (2014)
    4​
    5​
    5.1​
    No
    Amazon Fire HD6 (2014)
    4​
    5​
    5.1​
    No

* Generation equates to the year the tablet was released. For example, if the generation is 13 it means the tablet was released in 2023. 10 means the tablet was released in 2020... so on and so forth.

** Restricted equates to wether or not Amazon has locked down the firmware. When a firmware is restricted it means we cannot fully block OTAs, use custom launchers without Fire Launcher, lockscreen ads can no longer be permanantly removed, and some system apps can't be disabled. Even though a tablet is marked as Restricted in the table above, sometimes it may only apply to certain versions of FireOS. If your tablet is on a firmware before the listed firmware then your tablet is NOT restricted. See the "FireOS Restrictions and Fire Toolbox" section of the FAQ section (post #2) for further information on restricted firmwares.

GettingStarted.png

Getting the Toolbox up and running with your tablet is surprisingly a very easy procedure. The only thing required is for you to enable Developer Options and ADB on your tablet. So, without further ado, let's get started.

At this point, please read the section below, and make sure to follow the correct guide that is made for your tablet on how to set up the device so it works with the Toolbox.

FIRE HD 7, 8, 10 (2018 - 2023) Guide:
    Before purchasing the tablet:
    • Make sure you uncheck the "Link device to your Amazon account to simplify setup" box before Adding to Cart. (See this screenshot, credits go to @ancientrael)

if the box remains checked, your tablet will automatically update to the latest version of FireOS the second it auto-connects to your wifi.
    Booting the tablet for the first time:
    • Wait for your tablet to fully boot up for the first time (may take a few seconds to minutes).
    • When it boots, it will ask you for the language you'd like the OS to use. Select your prefered language.
    • Tapping the blue arrow at the bottom of the screen, you'll be asked to connect to a WIFI network.
    • Select ANY network from the list (even if you don't know the password).
    • Once it asks for the password, tap the "Cancel" button and it will take you to the previous screen with the Wifi networks.
    • At the bottom of the screen, you should now see a "Skip Setup" button, go ahead and tap that.
    • It will now ask if you're sure you want to skip fire setup. Just tap "Skip" once more.
    • You should immeditely be thrown into Fire Launcher. You're now ready to enable USB/ADB Debugging.
    Enabling USB Debugging:
    • Turn on your tablet and go to Settings > Device Options > About Fire Tablet and tap on the Serial Number until you unlock Developer Options.
    • Press the back button and find the new Developer Options and toggle it on.
    • Scroll down till you find USB Debugging and enable it.
    Setting up the drivers:
    If you are on Windows 10 or Windows 11 you do NOT need to following this guide because Windows will setup the needed drivers by default automatically. All you need to do is plug your tablet in and Windows will take care of the rest. Please wait until these drivers are fully installed before laucnhing the Toolbox for the first time.
    • Download the latest version of the Toolbox from the Downloads section of this page and install it onto your PC.
    • Plug your tablet into the computer, and Windows will start installing the MTP drivers. It will also attempt to install the ADB driver but will fail. (This is normal and to be expected)
    • Launch the Toolbox, and it should detect your Windows version and inform you that further driver setup is required. It will then ask you if you'd like the Toolbox to download and install the drivers.
    • Click the "Yes" button, wait for the download to finish and follow the driver setup. If this for some reason doesn't work, please follow this guide to manually install the drivers.
    • At this point, If drivers are setup properly... the Toolbox will inform you that the "device isn't authorized. Please authorize your device now."
    • On your tablet, you should see a new prompt asking if you want to Allow USB Debugging and should show the computer's RSA key fingerprint. Tick the box that says "Always allow from the computer" and hit ok.
    That's it, the Toolbox should recognize your tablet and will take you to the main menu. Enjoy!

FIRE HD 6, 7, 8, 10 (2014 - 2017) Guide:
    Before purchasing the tablet:
    • Make sure you uncheck the "Link device to your Amazon account to simplify setup" box before Adding to Cart. (See this screenshot, credits go to @ancientrael)

if the box remains checked, your tablet will automatically update to the latest version of FireOS the second it auto-connects to your wifi.
    Booting the tablet for the first time:
    • Wait for your tablet to fully boot up for the first time (may take a few seconds to minutes).
    • When it boots, it will ask you for the language you'd like the OS to use. Select your prefered language.
    • Tapping the blue arrow at the bottom of the screen, you'll be asked to connect to a WIFI network.
    • Select ANY network from the list (even if you don't know the password).
    • Once it asks for the password, tap the "Cancel" button and it will take you to the previous screen with the Wifi networks.
    • At the bottom of the screen, you should now see a "Skip Setup" button, go ahead and tap that.
    • It will now ask if you're sure you want to skip fire setup. Just tap "Skip" once more.
    • You should immeditely be thrown into Fire Launcher. You're now ready to enable ADB Debugging.
    Enabling ADB Debugging:
    • Turn on your tablet and go to Settings > Device Options and tap on the Serial Number until you unlock Developer Options.
    • Find the new Developer Options and toggle it on.
    • Scroll down till you find ADB Debugging and enable it.
    Setting up the drivers:
    If you are on Windows 10 or Windows 11 you do NOT need to following this guide because Windows will setup the needed drivers by default automatically. All you need to do is plug your tablet in and Windows will take care of the rest. Please wait until these drivers are fully installed before laucnhing the Toolbox for the first time.
    • Download the latest version of the Toolbox from the Downloads section of this page and install it onto your PC.
    • Plug your tablet into the computer, and Windows will start installing the MTP drivers. It will also attempt to install the ADB driver but will fail. (This is normal and to be expected)
    • Launch the Toolbox, and it should detect your Windows version and inform you that further driver setup is required. It will then ask you if you'd like the Toolbox to download and install the drivers.
    • Click the "Yes" button, wait for the download to finish and follow the driver setup. If this for some reason doesn't work, please follow this guide to manually install the drivers.
    • At this point, If drivers are setup properly... the Toolbox will inform you that the "device isn't authorized. Please authorize your device now."
    • On your tablet, you should see a new prompt asking if you want to Allow USB Debugging and should show the computer's RSA key fingerprint. Tick the box that says "Always allow from the computer" and hit ok.
    That's it, the Toolbox should recognize your tablet and will take you to the main menu. Enjoy!

Downloads.png

Windows:​

Version
    Installer (.exe)
    Portable (.zip)
    Update Post
    VirusTotal
    V33.1​
    Post​
    Link​

SHA256 Hashes​

FilenameSHA256 Hash
    FTB_V33.1_Installer.exe662ddaea3494d30e71cb8a94290e6d04bd6bc9bd9662b25ef126c62dca4fd7cd
    FTB_V33.1_Portable.zip34cc69ff300c02dd724ad6f6b89ccf245af4a01e1dc2475f64e1c7f37ca98a23

Version
    Installer (.exe)
    Portable (.zip)
    Update Post
    VirusTotal
    V33.0​
    V32.4​
    Post​
    Link​
    V32.3​
    V32.2​
    Post​
    Link​
    V32.0​
    Download​
    Post​
    Link​
    V31.0​
    Download​
    Post​
    Link​
    V30.2​
    Download​
    Post​
    Link​
    V30.1​
    Download​
    Post​
    Link​
    V30.0​
    Download​
    V29.0​
    Download​
    V28.9​
    Download​
    Download​
    V27.0​
    Download​
    V26.1​
    Download​
    V25.2​
    V24.0​
    Download​
    *Halloween Edition​
    Download​
    Link​
    V23.0​
    Download​
    V22.0​
    Download​
    V21.0​
    Download​
    V20.0​
    Download​
    V19.0​
    Download​
    V18.0​
    Download​
    V17.0​
    Download​
    V16.0​
    Post​
    Link
    v15.0​
    Post​
    Link
    V13.0​
    Post​
    Link​
    V12.0​
    Post​
    Link​
    V11.1​
    Post​
    Link​
    V11.0​
    Post​
    Link​
    V10.2​
    Post​
    Link​
    V10.1​
    Post​
    Link​
    V10.0​
    Post​
    Link​
    V9.2​
    Post​
    Link​
    V9.1​
    Post​
    Link
    V9.0​
    Post​
    Link​
    V8.2​
    Post​
    Link
    V8.1​
    Post​
    Link​
    V7.2.1​
    Download​
    Post​
    Link
    V7.1​
    Post​
    Link
    V7.0​
    Post​
    Link
    V6.56​
    Post​
    Link
    V6.55​
    Post​
    Link
    V6.54​
    Download​
    Post​
    Link​

*Linux:​

Version
    Python Version
    Installer
    Update Post
    V5.0 (Beta)​
    3.10.x​
    3.11.x​
    NOTICE: You must obtain the correct version for your installed Python version. Run "python3 -V" in the Terminal to get the installed python version for your distro.

SHA256 Hashes

FilenameSHA256 Hash
    FTB_V5.0_Installer_Python3.10.7z985f1fc24d21c7506b9245f8ba37194380535fb5a8ef9af762d7d6d3853498ec
    FTB_V5.0_Installer_Python3.11.7z110bebfe5e28c75bd6235434f3b0ea640d6f24f77ef859a704db2a673972e01b

* While in Beta, I'd like to heavy push the installer so that we can get it to stable along with the Toolbox. So, for now, the only download option will be the installer. Once the Toolbox and the Installer are both stable a portable option will be available. However, if you really need a portable version please PM me and I'll send you the link.

Version
    Python Version
    Installer
    Update Post
    VirusTotal
    V4.0 (Beta)​
    3.10.x​
    V4.0 (Beta)​
    3.11.x​

Version
    Python Version
    Installer
    Update Post
    VirusTotal
    V3.0 (Beta)​
    Python 3.10.x​
    V3.0 (Beta)​
    Python 3.11.x​

Version
    Installer
    Portable (.zip)
    Update Post
    VirusTotal
    V2.0 (Beta)​
    n/A​
    Post​
    Link​
    V1.0 (Beta)​
    N/A​

Other Downloads:​

Resource
    Resource Link
    Applicable Tools
    Custom Navigation Bar Icons​
    Navigation Bar Modifier​
    Toolbox Changelogs​
    N/A​

Donate.png

If you like my work and would like to support me feel free to Donate. Thank you!
    FAQ.png

The Toolbox won't display correctly. The window is pure white and the text is faded. How can I fix this?
    2021-01-07_052532-jpg.5179871

This can happen if window style and effects are turned off.

Windows 7
    Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Adjust Visual Effects > Use Visual Styles on Windows and Buttons.

Image credit: @gsm2001

My Home Button isn't working after using the Custom Launcher Tool?
    Due to the way the process works, it alters your navigation bar's home key to send a key event that can be picked up by Automate. Once Automate reads this event, it launches your custom launcher automatically.
    However, if the flow in Automate isn't running, the navbar key will not work, and nothing will happen when it's tapped. To fix this, either open Automate and start the "Launcher Invoker" flow again, or execute the Custom Launcher tool in the Toolbox, click the ":" icon (upper-right) to show the Tool Options panel, and click the "Restore Navigation Bar" button to restore the stock layout. You can execute the "reset_navbar" (without quotes) command in the ADB Shell tool.

Google Family Link won't work on my tablet?
    Unfortuently, no matter how hard we try, we still haven't been able to get Family Link to work correctly on the tablets. The Family Link app fails to install, and the Child account refuses to login. No matter what we tried, we couldn't get a Child account to work on the tablets.
    We believe this has to do with missing dependecies, and the tablets not being certified through Google's Play Protect platform. We're still activly looking into getting the issue resolved. Until then, it's recommended that you use an alternative such as Amazon's FreeTime, Eyezy, or another third-party family managing software.

How can I remove a Google Account from my tablet?
    Because of the missing accounts section in the Settings app it will be a little more difficult to remove Google Accounts directly from the tablet. The easiest way that I've found is to visit this page: https://myaccount.google.com/security, sign-in to your Google Account, scroll down to "Your Devices" and click the "Manage devices" button. From the list of devices find your tablet and in the upper right-corner click the 3-dot icon and from the list select "Sign out".

Can the Toolbox be used to root my tablet?
    Primarly, rooting a Fire Tablet requires the user to open the back of the device and short out a certain point on the motherboard. The Toolbox has been designed for folks who'd rather not bark down this alley. It uses the power of ADB to make changes, and is meant to be an alternative to rooting. In summery, the Toolbox isn't designed to root.

The Toolbox is being marked as a virus?
    This is likely because the Toolbox (and it's installer) aren't signed with a software license. This freaks Windows out because it sees that there is no publisher, and as a result it displays a warning (smartscreen). In addition, some anti-viruses might also flag the Toolbox as a virus simply because the build is relatively new and there is no record of it in the anti-viruses database, resulting in a false positve.
    As always, I take your security and privacy VERY seriously! If you do not feel safe with installing the Toolbox due to virus concerns, I respect and support your decision. It is always up to the user and their judgment! :D
    I'd also like to take the time to acknowledge today as a very special day for this project! Today marks the 3RD YEAR anniversary of the project!!! 😄 🎉🎉

It seems like only yesterday, that the first version of the Toolbox was released! It's just crazy to think that it all started in 2019, as a very simple batch file program designed solemnly to remove lock screen ads, and has grown into what it is today! If you're interested in what started it all, I'd highly recommend checking out this post. It dives a little more into the Toolbox's background and it's beginnings!

I just wanted to THANK YOU all from the bottom of my heart for making the last 3 years so memorable! If it wasn't for the amazing support and this wonderful community, the project would've died a long time ago! You guys are the fuel that feeds the Toolbox's development!

Through this project, I've gotten to meet some wonderful people that I'd consider to be good friends:
    @Davy49, @Tailborn, @Falcon342, @blaacksheep, and of course you (the one reading this)!

So, where does the Toolbox go from here? Well, I suppose the next step would be to bring the Toolbox to more platforms! Currently, the Toolbox is being ported to other platforms using the Python programming language, and PySimpleGUI. I've also been asked if the Toolbox Python port will ever become open-source, and I think the answer is most likely yes. Big things are planned for the Toolbox this year, and I hope you'll join me on this journey!

HERE'S TO THE TOOLBOX'S 3RD YEAR ANNIVERSARY!! 👏:D
    Last edited 9-30-2022

A lot has changed since I first posted this. Toolbox has been updated to v29.0 and now has a new method of replacing the Fire Launcher, DNS66 is only a delaying tactic and doesn't stop updates in all cases, and the Lockscreen Ad removal process in the old FTB v9.2 still works to remove the ads. I leave the post up, but understand that it's just for reference as a starting point for you to explore these things.

What to do about F/W v. 7.3.2.2

So your Fire tablet has the latest firmware update on it (v7.3.2.2) and Fire Toolbox won't do what it's supposed to. All is not lost. I've collected some workarounds that will keep Amazon at bay. The three main problems are:

1) You can't stop Automatic updates.

2) You can't get rid of the lockscreen ads.

3) You hate the Amazon Launcher, but Amazon won't let you change it permanently.

Once those three problems are addressed, you pretty much have your tablet back. The Toolbox will still work for all the other things you want modify. First, get your tablet set up with Toolbox, install Google Services, and install the launcher you want. (Make sure to select "Enable Widget Support".) We'll take care of the Amazon Launcher later. So let's get started with the 3 main problems.

1) Automatic updates.

This method is far from perfect and has sometimes allowed updates to somehow slip by. The only other way to do this that I know is to use an app blocking firewall and block the update apps. I chose this method because it doesn't require a 'training period' to train the app on what to block and what to let through. Also, if you've already got lockscreen ads in your tablet's cache, this will not remove them. This method must be in place before you first connect to WiFi for the lockscreen ad blocking to work.

We need to stop the tablet from contacting Amazon to update it's firmware. We can no longer disable the service that does this, BUT, we can interfere with it's ability to contact the server from which it gets its updates. On a computer, we would modify the hosts file and block the addresses of the update servers. On an Android device, we need root access to do that, but there is an alternate way of adding things to the hosts file - with a VPN. We'll use a free and open source ad blocking VPN app to do this. The app is called DNS66 and it's available through F-Droid. You need to make sure this is always running to be protected from updates. Luckily, android has a feature to assist us in this. It's called "Always On VPN" and we need another app to access the hidden setting for this. We'll use "Activity Launcher" to get to this setting. Activity Launcher is available from Google's Play Store.

It turns out that using Activity Launcher to change this hidden setting does nothing more than give you an extra notification that your VPN is off. It doesn't stop traffic, so it's useless. Besides, my tablet has taken to turning the "Always On VPN" setting back off every time I boot. (Thanks Amazon!) Activity Launcher is still useful for finding settings that Amazon doesn't see fit to include. It also makes desktop shortcuts to those settings if you wish.

Download DNS66 to your computer from f-droid.org or from the attached file, copy it to your tablet and install it. Also go to the Play Store and install Activity Launcher. Finally, get the Amzn_Blcklist.txt that's attached to this post and copy that to your tablet. The blocklist file must remain on your tablet, so put it somewhere where it won't get deleted. I suggest in the root of your internal storage. (/storage/emulated/0)

Open DNS66. There are a couple settings that must be changed. On the Start tab, turn on "Watch Connection". (All 3 switches should now be on.)
    DNS66-start.jpg

Now go to the Hosts tab. Tap the "+" in the lower-right. Under Title, type "Amazon Blocklist". Tap the paper clip on the next line. Navigate to the Amzn_Blocklist.txt file you downloaded earlier and select it. Now tap "Done" in the upper-right. You should now have the first and last entry on the displayed list selected.
    dns66-hosts.jpg

Now go to the Apps tab. Turn on "Show System Apps". Tap the gear under the Show System Apps switch and select "No Apps". All the switches below that should now be off.
    dns66-apps.jpg

You can optionally set your own DNS servers on the next screen if you'd like. I like to turn on Custom DNS Servers, deselect the German ones that are pre-selected, and then turn on the last two servers (CloudFlare).
    dns66-dns.jpg

This can also be done with Toolbox making this step unnecessary. Now go back to the Start tab. Tap "Start". It will notify you that it wants to connect to a VPN. Tap Yes or OK and allow it.

Quick note: Do not use the Toolbox DNS changer in Modify System Settings AND the DNS66 Custom DNS setting together. This will cause connectivity to fail. I use DNS66 and not Toolbox's DNS changer. Having the Custom DNS Servers set ins DNS66, and using the Toolbox DNS changer simultaneously caused me hours of grief trying to figure out why Google couldn't connect!

Now Launch Activity Launcher. Tap the magnifying glass in the upper-right. Enter "VPN". One setting should appear called "VPN". Tap it. Tap the gear on the end of the DNS66 line. Turn on Always-on VPN. Turning on the other switch makes Google Services think you are disconnected, so leave that one off. Step one accomplished.

actlaunch-vpn.jpg

Notes:

DNS66 takes several seconds before it gets started when you first boot, so it is possible that the tablet will make a DNS query for the update server or the lockscreen ad server before it loads. Best practice is to turn off WiFi before you power down or reboot.

----------

2) Lockscreen Ads.

Toolbox v29.0 now takes care of lockscreen ads!

It turns out, that blocking those update servers also blocks your tablet from getting any lockscreen
    ads! No further action is needed. I stopped investigating this because I chose to disable the lockscreen completely. If you want to do that, you can do it in Toolbox, or in Activity Launcher that you just installed. Launch Activity Launcher. Tap the magnifying glass. Type in "screenlock". Now tap the last item (.password.ScreenLockSuggestionActivity). Select None and you're done.

Notes:

It has come to my attention that when disabling your PIN, it may still ask you for a PIN by Parental Controls for some settings or activities. I would suggest if you're going to disable your PIN, to first set it to something simple like 0000, reboot it, and then disable the PIN. That way you'll know what PIN you set if it suddenly asks you next month for your PIN.

Another way to disable lockscreen ads is detailed Here.

----------

3) Amazon Launcher.

New: Toolbox v29 has remediated most of the difficulties in replacing the launcher. Always check that you have the latest version of Toolbox. I'll leave the rest of the post up to inspire ideas.

The latest version of Toolbox (v 28.1) has a new tool called 'Custom Navbar Key'. This method uses Automate to automatically replace the Home button every time you reboot. It works rather nicely. I leave this section posted for completeness and to facilitate experimentation on other choices.

The way we're going to get rid of the Amazon Launcher is by not calling it! We're going to replace the Home button with another button that we can map to any launcher we'd like. This isn't a perfect solution, but it is FREE. If you're willing to spend a couple bucks, you can purchase a more configurable gesture navigation app with more features, but this is FREE, so maybe you can accept it's shortcomings. I'll keep this post updated with other navbar replacements that people suggest.

Go to the Play Store. Get and install "One Button Navigation". Launch it. It will want you to turn on Accessability Service for it. Follow the on-screen instructions and turn on "One Button Navigation Bar". You'll see your new nav button at the bottom of the screen. I like to adjust the width down to a dot, like the button it's replacing, but that's up to you. I also like to make the background black and the botton bright yellow so that I'm reminded it's running. Set up the background and button colors as you like them. Yeah, I know the ads in this are obtrusive, but you'll never see them once it's set up. Also DNS66 will block the ads if you install that first.
    obn-set.jpg

Next tap the Action tab. Tap "Single Click". Scroll down and select "Launch Application...". Select the launcher that you installed with Toolbox here. In my case, it was Nova 7. (Google updated the Nova version that Toolbox installed.) Now you can set any other actions you'd like for the new button.
    obn-act.jpg

I didn't want anything additional, so I made the gestures similar to the original buttons. This is all up to you. You can reverse them or set additional functionality to the button. I ended up with a new navbar that covers the original navbar (the one with the home button that brings up the Amazon Launcher). I now have a button that when pressed, takes me to my launcher. When I swipe it left, it goes back a screen. When I swipe it right, it shows the recents. I spent a lot of time with other navbar replacements and this is the minimalist replacement that works best for me. YMMV. Before someone complains that it doesn't work in landscape mode, I'm not the developer. You should rate it and leave a comment for him! This is the best I could find that does what I want for FREE.

----------

I'll edit this post with your suggestions for better solutions to these problems and keep a list of navbar replacements that people suggest at the end so you can find what works best for you.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Some Suggested Navigation Bar replacements:
    ----------------------------------------------------------

One Button Navigation Bar by Nu-Kob (PlayStore)

Pie Control by coolAce (PlayStore)

Simple Control by coolAce (PlayStore)

DNS66 is available from F-Droid.org (dated March 26, 2021)
    Activity Launcher is available from APKMirror.com (dated March 21,2022)
    What's going on, guys?

I sincerely hope everyone is doing good, and having a wonderful December so far!

Today marks the release of V26.0 of the Toolbox! So, without further ado... let's take a look at what this release has to offer!

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome... Screen!​

You know, every time I run a build for the first time I go through the Theme Selector, then the Tour, and then the Welcome Screen. I just think to myself "this is just a mess" - so in this update I thought I'd focus on improving it and making it better. I started by re-designing the Welcome Screen and doing my best to link all three tools into something that looked visually appealing. Now, in a tabbed interface you'll find the Setup Tour in the very first tab, Theme Selection (with a new UI) in the second, Installation Management in the third, and finally in the fourth the Changelog.

Now let's talk specifically about the Installation Management tool. This bad boy now has the ability to read installations from directories other than the default (localappdata\Datastream). So, if you've got your installations in a custom location, and you'd like to manage them, it's now possible to point the path to that location. This should help make managing installations a lot easier!

Custom Launchers on FireOS 7.3.2.2​

As some of you may know, I bit the bullet and updated my tablet to the latest version of FireOS... to the dreaded 7.3.2.2. This update, from what I heard, caused the Custom Launcher and disabling OTAs tools to no longer function and after updating, I soon discovered that it was indeed the case. I then tried everything I could think and well really didn't turn up any valuable workarounds... until I tried the method we'd been using on older gen devices... and it worked! Of course, just like on the older gens, it has the drawback of being removed every time the device is rebooted. However, it's the only method I could find, so it's better than nothing, right?

Anyway, while coding it in I decided to take the liberty of also clean up the code, and the UI a bit. What's cool is the tool will now read what generation your tablet is, and display what methods are available to use. You'll also find that the initial method selection UI is a lot more usable compared to its previous iteration.

Change the Timeout for the Display?​

Ah, the latest addition to the General group in the Modify System Settings tool. This subtool not only allows you to alter the timeout to traditional values, but also allows you to set a custom timeout. Want your screen to sleep after 24 hours of inactivity? This one's for you folks who want to extend the timeout as much as you can. Just be careful, it may cause a burn-in if your tablet's screen remains on the same screen for too long!

Let's Talk Linux Port Stuff​

I guess the point of this section is to ask you guys if you're ok with updates to the VB version being slowed down, so I can focus more on the port? I'd also like to address a common question I get asked about it being open-source. Right now, I'm planning on it being closed-source for now. However, I am planning on making it open-source when I feel like the time is right. Please be patient! So, let's get back to the original question... are you guy's ok if I shift primary focus to the port?

Wait, that's not everything! If you're interested in everything that's changed... please take a look at the changelog below:
    Version 26.0 - Changelog

[Welcome Screen]
    • Updated the user interface.
    • Added better installation detection to the Installation Management subtool.
    • You can now specify what directory the Installation Management subtool will scan to detect installations.
    • Improved the look of the Theme Selector.
    • Fixed a bug causing the Startup Tour to not load tools correctly.
    [Device Information]
    • Fixed chipset information not displaying for some tablets due to a renamed string in getprop.
    [Theme Selector]
    • Moved the Theme Selector to the Welcome Screen.
    [Custom Launcher]
    • Improved the UI.
    • Made significant improvements to the code, and fixed various bugs/issues.
    • Added Re-route Homekey option for tablets running FireOS 7.3.2.2+.
    [Modify System Settings]
    • Added the ability to change the "Display Timeout" to the General tab.
    • You can now set a custom Display Timeout of up to 24 hours.
    [Lockscreen Management]
    • Improved the warning regarding the Pattern security type.
    [Hybrid Apps]
    • Updated Disney+, and Netflix to the latest versions.
    [Manage Amazon Apps]
    • When restoring from a debloat list, it now displays the proper header and message.

Ready to download V26.0? Head on over to the Download's section of the OP. By the way, because of some directory changes to the bin folder... the update will not show up in the Updater. It must be installed via the Installer or extracted from the Portable release.

Ok, my favorite part about of these release posts... sharing appreciation for you awesome folks! I just wanted to say I'm so blessed to be a part of the wonderful community over here on XDA. You guys are incredible people and in fact... this is perhaps the one place I've been on that I don't see negativity or people bullying one another. You guys are just AMAZING and I wanted to let you know that I appreciate everyone's support! Furthermore, you guys are what keep this project going, and it wouldn't be where it is today without you guys! So please pat yourself on the back - you deserve it!

Also, I'd like to place the limelight on my good friends @blaacksheep, and of course @Falcon342. I just can't express how much I appreciate all you've done for this thread! I haven't had the time to get on here because of work and when I come on the forum I see you guys helping out and answering questions. I really do appreciate the time and effort you two have put into being so freaking helpful! However, I've got to be honest, I'm extremely sad because I feel like I'm not doing enough. I'm sure you guys would like a little help (I'm gonna try harder to be more active on here when I can to hopefully help you guys out). Anyway, thank you guys again!! I really do appreciate it!!!!

Also, don't think I forgot about you donators! I just want to say I'm so honored that you'd donate your hard-earned cash. Sometimes I feel like I don't deserve it. Guys and gals, THANK YOU so much for donating! I really do appreciate every penny! :D

This year has flown by and Christmas is right around the corner, so I just wanted to say MERRY CHRISTMAS and I hope you all had a remarkable 2021! Let's hope 2022 is an even better year! 🙏

Well, that's all I've got for now! Have a good one, guys, and until next time... Peace! ✌️