[WIP] Bionic (maverick) webtop port to Atrix with chromium-browser with flash player

Search This thread

saltinbas

May 24, 2010
Bursa / Turkey
Dragons ahead. You can brick your phone. WORK IN PROCESS

I have compiled two threads and post them in a clean manner so that we can use bionic webtop.

Bionic Webtop Chromium (Chrome) Browser - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1271624

[Mods] WebBuntu Post-Webtop2sd Hacks - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1281722

[How to] VNC server in a pinch + Webtop w/o HDMI [Moved to Beta] - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1218217

This is the site for getting osh partition from bionic. http://www.pressbyte.com/5382/unbrick-motorola-droid-bionic-restore-stock-rom-tool/

targa_cdma_targa-user-2.3.4-5.5.1_84_DBN-55-110814-Verizon-US.tar.gz
http://www.multiupload.com/HUMXFD1J6L

Then, after extracting the file, you get grfs.img file and place it to /sdcard-ext directory.

After that you can mount to /tmp/grfs by;

open ADB terminal

# mkdir /tmp/grfs
# mount /sdcard-ext/grfs.img /tmp/grfs

Now we have the osh partition mounted to /tmp/grfs. We will use these file to make fake osh partition.

To create 2 GB fake partition, we need to create ubuntu.disk file on /sdcard-ext directory. Extract attached rsync.deb file to /sdcard-ext directory. Afterwards;

open ADB terminal

# su
# /usr/bin/sudo -H -u root bash
root@localhost:/# /bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdcard-ext/ubuntu.disk bs=1024 count=2097152
root@localhost:/# /sbin/losetup /dev/block/loop7 /sdcard-ext/ubuntu.disk
root@localhost:/# /sbin/mkfs -t ext3 -m 1 -b 2048 /dev/block/loop7
root@localhost:/# mkdir /tmp/osh
root@localhost:/# /bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/block/loop7 /tmp/osh
root@localhost:/# mkdir /tmp/deb
root@localhost:/# /usr/bin/dpkg-deb -x /mnt/sdcard-ext/rsync* /tmp/deb
root@localhost:/# /tmp/deb/usr/bin/rsync -avx /tmp/grfs/ /tmp/osh/
root@localhost:/# exit
# reboot

Now we have original webtop (jaunty) and fake webtop (maverick). The osh directory is mounted on original webtop. Now we mount the original webtop to /tmp/osh_1 directory so that we can use some files if necessary. This remounting is not necessary though.

open ADB terminal

# su
# mkdir /tmp/osh1
# /system/bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /tmp/osh1
# /sbin/losetup /dev/block/loop7 /mnt/sdcard-ext/ubuntu.disk
# /system/bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/block/loop7 /osh

Voila. We have mounted fake webtop to /osh mount point. Now we can use apt-get but to use it, we need to change some files in webtop. We shall download this file http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R56GAH8Q and put it into /sdcard-ext directory.

open ADB terminal

# su
root@localhost:/# cd /osh
root@localhost:/# tar jxvf /mnt/sdcard-ext/mbm.tar.bz2
root@localhost:/# mount -o remount, rw /
root@localhost:/# mkdir /var/lib/dpkg/updates

we need to update /etc/apt/sources.list file.

open ADB terminal

# su
root@localhost:/# chroot /osh
root@localhost:/# echo "deb http://91.189.92.175/ubuntu-ports maverick main universe restricted multiverse">/etc/apt/sources.list
root@localhost:/# echo "deb http://91.189.92.175/ubuntu-ports maverick-updates main universe restricted multiverse">>/etc/apt/sources.list
root@localhost:/# echo "deb http://91.189.92.175/ubuntu-ports maverick-backports main universe restricted multiverse">>/etc/apt/sources.list
root@localhost:/# echo "deb http://91.189.92.175/ubuntu-ports maverick-security main universe restricted multiverse">>/etc/apt/sources.list
root@localhost:/# apt-get update
root@localhost:/# apt-get install chromium-browser

Now we have a working fake webtop (maverick). The next step is to use this webtop instead of atrix webtop (jaunty).

Reboot atrix. After rebooting every thing will be normal. You will have original webtop mounted on /osh directory. Put atrix to laptop dock. Atrix webtop will open and you will see the destop ( jaunty ),

then open lxterminal;
adas@localhost:/data/home/adas$ /usr/bin/sudo -H -u adas bash
adas@localhost:/data/home/adas$# sudo /system/bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /tmp/osh_1
adas@localhost:/data/home/adas$ sudo /sbin/losetup /dev/block/loop7 /mnt/sdcard-ext/ubuntu.disk
adas@localhost:/data/home/adas$ sudo /system/bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/block/loop7 /osh

Here, we disconnect /osh mount point from jaunty distro and connect maverick distro to /osh mount point. Actually we are trying to trick atrix webtop.

Now, we can open chromium-browser. Again open lxterminal and run;
adas@localhost:/data/home/adas$ sudo cp /tmp/osh_1/usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so /osh/usr/lib/chr*/plugins/libflashplayer.so
adas@localhost:/data/home/adas$ sudo chromium-browser

Voila.

POC video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etb6iCW7qHk

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ maverick partner"
sudo apt-get update

Attachments

• rsync.7z
    342.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Nikoloz17

Nov 27, 2010
Tbilisi
Thank you alot for your hard work :)

But i have few questions: Is everything working fine? Is it faster or slower? Do all bionic patches and hacks work?

This does basically replace my old webtop right? Is there anyway to revert back to atrix webtop after following your guide? In case of Brick, can i fix it?

Again THANKS :)

Reactions: saltinbas

saltinbas

May 24, 2010
Bursa / Turkey

But i have few questions: Is everything working fine? Is it faster or slower? Do all bionic patches and hacks work?

This does basically replace my old webtop right? Is there anyway to revert back to atrix webtop after following your guide? In case of Brick, can i fix it?

Hi,

This is not complete. But in this mod, we donot touch original webtop. After reboot, it reverts back to original.

saltinbas

May 24, 2010
Bursa / Turkey
Can the chrome browser be installed on our webtop with out having to do all the bionic stuff? If so thats all I need. Thanx.

hi,

the problem with chromeium browser is about jaunty ubuntu distro. afaik you can not run on jaunty properly. although there is armel arch in jaunty ubuntu distro, it is very old. Maverick is the ubuntu distro which supports chromium browser properly.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Djazin

Sep 19, 2010
Bionic Break Development (WIP)

Hey,

Nice set of threads, I like your version currently do to I barley have time to go back and fourth between phones one use one dev Atrix but here's what I have on this end : Bionic Webtop [Port Breaking Ground]

I'm stuck at the moment getting a backup of the current webtop within the same flash able and in the correct format. I have the commands working while within adb though timing it in with the install zip is a pita.

so here's the installer its a permanent flash so you can use it continuously, as for the docks they don't work due to launchers not having the correct environment variables for android haven't gone further than ripping both sets apart. As for the webtop.sh script its backup section doesn't work atm so I haven't released it rewrote it a few times with no luck, the installer works fine. Really its a simple switch with joe's webtop mod with the osh.img, the point of the flash able zip was to have what ever was their backed up compressed and ready to swap.

The codes for backing up and prepping via recovery are:
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 bs=131072 | gzip > /sdcard/osh.img.gz
reboot recovery (<this is optional if your already in recovery XP)

BTW as for a GUI I recommend using:
[How to] VNC server in a pinch + Webtop w/o HDMI [Moved to Beta]

Have a look if you like.
Do note the backup on this dose not work!!!!! though the installer dose is pre-loaded with the bionic webtop. Also note this is for Further Development only been sitting on this for awhile being I rather have easier reverts to my Webtop's then to have peps stuck.

BACKUP YOUR CURRENT WEBTOP THIS WILL DESTROY IT

Bionic Break (WIP)

Will add the flash able I have as soon as I get home so 2hrs, for now here is a zip with the modified webtop.sh scripts for a few of my attempts at it.

Last edited:

saltinbas

May 24, 2010
Bursa / Turkey
Hey,

Nice set of threads, I like your version currently do to I barley have time to go back and fourth between phones one use one dev Atrix but here's what I have on this end : Bionic Webtop [Port Breaking Ground]

I'm stuck at the moment getting a backup of the current webtop within the same flash able and in the correct format. I have the commands working while within adb though timing it in with the install zip is a pita.

so here's the installer its a permanent flash so you can use it continuously, as for the docks they don't work due to launchers not having the correct environment variables for android haven't gone further than ripping both sets apart. As for the webtop.sh script its backup section doesn't work atm so I haven't released it rewrote it a few times with no luck, the installer works fine. Really its a simple switch with joe's webtop mod with the osh.img, the point of the flash able zip was to have what ever was their backed up compressed and ready to swap.

The codes for backing up and prepping via recovery are:
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/webtop.img.gz bs 131072
reboot recovery (<this is optional if your already in recovery XP)

BTW as for a GUI I recommend using:
[How to] VNC server in a pinch + Webtop w/o HDMI [Moved to Beta]

Have a look if you like.
Do note the backup on this dose not work!!!!! though the installer dose is pre-loaded with the bionic webtop. Also note this is for Further Development only been sitting on this for awhile being I rather have easier reverts to my Webtop's then to have peps stuck.

BACKUP YOUR CURRENT WEBTOP THIS WILL DESTROY IT

Bionic Break (WIP) Uploaded wrong one >,< fixing

Will add the flash able I have as soon as I get home so 2hrs, for now here is a zip with the modified webtop.sh scripts for a few of my attempts at it.

I am very happy that a developper is helping. I have looked at your codes. There is webtop.img.gz file in sdcard. if this file is grfs.img than you can not dd or copy to mmcblk0p13 since atrix mmcblk0p13 is 750 mb and grfs.img is 1.3 GB. if it is different than grfs.img, where can i find ?

Djazin

Sep 19, 2010
I am very happy that a developper is helping. I have looked at your codes. There is webtop.img.gz file in sdcard. if this file is grfs.img than you can not dd or copy to mmcblk0p13 since atrix mmcblk0p13 is 750 mb and grfs.img is 1.3 GB. if it is different than grfs.img, where can i find ?

Its not meant to dd its actually meant as joe ferra's mod uses to literally drop in the /osh directory of the webtop mod zip though I edited the adb commands to use osh so the image it creates is renamed accurately.

And grfs.img? Erm... where and how did you get to that .img 1.3 GB is pretty big for a base webtop, though saw I forgot a = sign in my post up there try it again if you didn't add it. Might have inadvertently created a new .img.gz file marked for 1.3GB (most likely)

Just an example:
Code:
C:\AtrixGinger>adb shell
# mount -o rw,remount -t fat /dev/block/mmcblk0p18 /sdcard
# dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 bs=131072 | gzip > /sdcard/osh.img.gz
(soon to be updated amt here)+0 records in
(soon to be updated amt here)+0 records out
(soon to be updated amt here) bytes transferred in (soon to be updated amt here [ or substitute a ungodly long amount of time here]) secs ((soon to be updated amt here) bytes/sec)

then rename the osh.img.gz to webtop.img.gz

Last edited:

saltinbas

May 24, 2010
Bursa / Turkey
Its not meant to dd its actually meant as joe ferra's mod uses to literally drop in the /osh directory of the webtop mod zip though I edited the adb commands to use osh so the image it creates is renamed accurately.

And grfs.img? Erm... where and how did you get to that .img 1.3 GB is pretty big for a base webtop, though saw I forgot a = sign in my post up there try it again if you didn't add it. Might have inadvertently created a new .img.gz file marked for 1.3GB (most likely)

Just an example:
Code:
C:\AtrixGinger>adb shell
# mount -o rw,remount -t fat /dev/block/mmcblk0p18 /sdcard
# dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/osh.img.gz bs=131072
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/osh.img.gz bs=131072
6144+0 records in
6144+0 records out
805306368 bytes transferred in 250.009 secs (3221109 bytes/sec)

then rename the osh.img.gz to webtop.img.gz

The file is 1.3 GB since afaik bionic has osh partion of size 1.3 GB. When you mount grfs.img, you can see that it has 650 MB free space. So it has 650 MB size of webtop files. I got this file from a web site which I had mentioned. Then extracted this image.

In this code "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/osh.img.gz bs=131072" you are creating a image file size of mmcblk0p13 only as you mentioned. Where do you get maverick webtop ? I am asking since I do not have bionic but only atrix. I think you have bionic at hand and creating a copy of mmcblk0p13 webtop (maverick).

By the way, [How to] VNC server in a pinch + Webtop w/o HDMI [Moved to Beta] topic is interesting. I am following the steps you mentioned. I have added this topic to the frist page.

Djazin

Sep 19, 2010
About to update the again though, as for the osh.img it was dumped back when they were gathering stock files for the Bionic. I myself have only 2 captivates and 2 Atrix's + the 2 other Atrix's I've modded for my family XD dont own a Bionic though, Ill post the original link to the thread here when I find that again. It was uploaded by Bezerker7 in the bionic thread here on xda the linking osh.img he posted is this from his website. I used joe's webtop mod pulled out the webtop.img.gz file from it then swapped out the osh.img in there with the bionic repacked them all and it worked didn't upload till I had a A/B switch type zip finalized but its been stuck solid for a week. The Flashable Bionic is here: Bionic Break Safe to flash and will keep Bionic Webtop on the Atrix though is not able to complete the backup like I intended.

As for the updates:

Wow, so I apparently opened up a older Lab folder for this project so it works but doesn't work right, my new position at my job killing me. So I just checked out the posts and seems I was off on the DD commands. Heh gotta love development wish notepad++ was as organize-able as one-note was.

Correct one is:

otherwise it'll miss format the archive and fubar the internal img
Ill try adding it to the current webtop.sh and see how that goes, if someone can take a look at my folder of various webtop.sh files and see where a possible problem is. Personally I think its timing the commands and having one finish before the other one starts. Updated the posts above respective to this update on the backup usage with dd.

See look no hands XP!! lol or in this case no Bionic
attachment.php

Last edited:

saltinbas

May 24, 2010
Bursa / Turkey
About to update the again though, as for the osh.img it was dumped back when they were gathering stock files for the Bionic. I myself have only 2 captivates and 2 Atrix's + the 2 other Atrix's I've modded for my family XD dont own a Bionic though, Ill post the original link to the thread here when I find that again. It was uploaded by Bezerker7 in the bionic thread here on xda the linking osh.img he posted is this from his website. I used joe's webtop mod pulled out the webtop.img.gz file from it then swapped out the osh.img in there with the bionic repacked them all and it worked didn't upload till I had a A/B switch type zip finalized but its been stuck solid for a week. The Flashable Bionic is here: Bionic Break Safe to flash and will keep Bionic Webtop on the Atrix though is not able to complete the backup like I intended.

As for the updates:

Wow, so I apparently opened up a older Lab folder for this project so it works but doesn't work right, my new position at my job killing me. So I just checked out the posts and seems I was off on the DD commands. Heh gotta love development wish notepad++ was as organize-able as one-note was.

Correct one is:

Ill try adding it to the current webtop.sh and see how that goes, if someone can take a look at my folder of various webtop.sh files and see where a possible problem is. Personally I think its timing the commands and having one finish before the other one starts. Updated the posts above respective to this update on the backup usage with dd.

attachment.php

Thanks for bionic-break zip file. I will check ASAP.

saltinbas

May 24, 2010
Bursa / Turkey

As for the updates:

Correct one is:

attachment.php

Hi, I have extracted osh.img and mounted to /osh. After running this command;

root@localhost:/# apt-get -v
apt-get -v
apt 0.7.20.2ubuntu6 for armel compiled on Apr 17 2009 05:17:49

If you look at apt-get version, this is ubuntu jaunty distro but not maverick. So that osh.img is not from bionic but from atrix webtop.

Djazin

Sep 19, 2010

Opps uploaded a shell installer >,<

Sorry grabbed a shell installer basically was the core webtop mod with the work being done on the backup and updater zip fixed tested then reconfirmed and will be available here:

Double checked and its the right one this time see edited and highlighted the bionic download link for the osh.img above, third times the trick XP my files were a mess across both my Atrix's due to work stuff en ways its on its way up should be within the hour ITS UP, even tested this on my main phone for kicks its deffenatly the Bionic Webtop Now XD

attachment.php

attachment.php

Notes: do know that you still have to do the mods the Bionic users are doing to their webtop to make use of apt-get and what not, basic commands still function as you can see in the pics

Attachments

• 1319036815388.jpg
    1319036815388.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,012
  • 1319037195087.jpg
    1319037195087.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 993
Last edited:

Djazin

Sep 19, 2010
Heads up:

Anyone that downloaded before this post, you might wanna re download I cleaned out my files on my end and on multiupload, so everything is where it should be in this part of this development. The installer dose work, though the backup part and function of the installer dose not, but will push through regardless of a fail/successful backup as of yet the flash able has not been able to create the backup. For backing up your webtop in the correct format use the code part posted earlier. Those using webtop to sd will need to re install the backup of the base webtop as they see fit.

-DjAzin

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dragons ahead. You can brick your phone. WORK IN PROCESS

I have compiled two threads and post them in a clean manner so that we can use bionic webtop.

Bionic Webtop Chromium (Chrome) Browser - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1271624

[Mods] WebBuntu Post-Webtop2sd Hacks - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1281722

[How to] VNC server in a pinch + Webtop w/o HDMI [Moved to Beta] - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1218217

This is the site for getting osh partition from bionic. http://www.pressbyte.com/5382/unbrick-motorola-droid-bionic-restore-stock-rom-tool/

targa_cdma_targa-user-2.3.4-5.5.1_84_DBN-55-110814-Verizon-US.tar.gz
    http://www.multiupload.com/HUMXFD1J6L

Then, after extracting the file, you get grfs.img file and place it to /sdcard-ext directory.

After that you can mount to /tmp/grfs by;

open ADB terminal

# mkdir /tmp/grfs
    # mount /sdcard-ext/grfs.img /tmp/grfs

Now we have the osh partition mounted to /tmp/grfs. We will use these file to make fake osh partition.

To create 2 GB fake partition, we need to create ubuntu.disk file on /sdcard-ext directory. Extract attached rsync.deb file to /sdcard-ext directory. Afterwards;

open ADB terminal

# su
    root@localhost:/# /bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdcard-ext/ubuntu.disk bs=1024 count=2097152
    root@localhost:/# /sbin/losetup /dev/block/loop7 /sdcard-ext/ubuntu.disk
    root@localhost:/# /sbin/mkfs -t ext3 -m 1 -b 2048 /dev/block/loop7
    root@localhost:/# mkdir /tmp/osh
    root@localhost:/# /bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/block/loop7 /tmp/osh
    root@localhost:/# mkdir /tmp/deb
    root@localhost:/# /usr/bin/dpkg-deb -x /mnt/sdcard-ext/rsync* /tmp/deb
    root@localhost:/# /tmp/deb/usr/bin/rsync -avx /tmp/grfs/ /tmp/osh/
    root@localhost:/# exit
    # reboot

Now we have original webtop (jaunty) and fake webtop (maverick). The osh directory is mounted on original webtop. Now we mount the original webtop to /tmp/osh_1 directory so that we can use some files if necessary. This remounting is not necessary though.

open ADB terminal

# su
    # mkdir /tmp/osh1
    # /system/bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /tmp/osh1
    # /sbin/losetup /dev/block/loop7 /mnt/sdcard-ext/ubuntu.disk
    # /system/bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/block/loop7 /osh

Voila. We have mounted fake webtop to /osh mount point. Now we can use apt-get but to use it, we need to change some files in webtop. We shall download this file http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R56GAH8Q and put it into /sdcard-ext directory.

open ADB terminal

# su
    root@localhost:/# cd /osh
    root@localhost:/# tar jxvf /mnt/sdcard-ext/mbm.tar.bz2
    root@localhost:/# mount -o remount, rw /
    root@localhost:/# mkdir /var/lib/dpkg/updates

we need to update /etc/apt/sources.list file.

open ADB terminal

# su
    root@localhost:/# chroot /osh
    root@localhost:/# echo "deb http://91.189.92.175/ubuntu-ports maverick main universe restricted multiverse">/etc/apt/sources.list
    root@localhost:/# echo "deb http://91.189.92.175/ubuntu-ports maverick-updates main universe restricted multiverse">>/etc/apt/sources.list
    root@localhost:/# echo "deb http://91.189.92.175/ubuntu-ports maverick-backports main universe restricted multiverse">>/etc/apt/sources.list
    root@localhost:/# echo "deb http://91.189.92.175/ubuntu-ports maverick-security main universe restricted multiverse">>/etc/apt/sources.list
    root@localhost:/# apt-get update
    root@localhost:/# apt-get install chromium-browser

Now we have a working fake webtop (maverick). The next step is to use this webtop instead of atrix webtop (jaunty).

Reboot atrix. After rebooting every thing will be normal. You will have original webtop mounted on /osh directory. Put atrix to laptop dock. Atrix webtop will open and you will see the destop ( jaunty ),

then open lxterminal;
    adas@localhost:/data/home/adas$ /usr/bin/sudo -H -u adas bash
    adas@localhost:/data/home/adas$# sudo /system/bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /tmp/osh_1
    adas@localhost:/data/home/adas$ sudo /sbin/losetup /dev/block/loop7 /mnt/sdcard-ext/ubuntu.disk
    adas@localhost:/data/home/adas$ sudo /system/bin/mount -t ext3 /dev/block/loop7 /osh

Here, we disconnect /osh mount point from jaunty distro and connect maverick distro to /osh mount point. Actually we are trying to trick atrix webtop.

Now, we can open chromium-browser. Again open lxterminal and run;
    adas@localhost:/data/home/adas$ sudo cp /tmp/osh_1/usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so /osh/usr/lib/chr*/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    adas@localhost:/data/home/adas$ sudo chromium-browser

Voila.

POC video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etb6iCW7qHk

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ maverick partner"
    sudo apt-get update

Opps uploaded a shell installer >,<

Sorry grabbed a shell installer basically was the core webtop mod with the work being done on the backup and updater zip fixed tested then reconfirmed and will be available here:

Double checked and its the right one this time see edited and highlighted the bionic download link for the osh.img above, third times the trick XP my files were a mess across both my Atrix's due to work stuff en ways its on its way up should be within the hour ITS UP, even tested this on my main phone for kicks its deffenatly the Bionic Webtop Now XD

attachment.php

attachment.php

Notes: do know that you still have to do the mods the Bionic users are doing to their webtop to make use of apt-get and what not, basic commands still function as you can see in the pics

I love you.

I can get dirty with the cli but this is a little beyond my comfort zone. Will parts of this process be automated eventually?

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium
    saltinbas

Hi, do you have twitter or something, so we can follow you on updates?

Hope you haven't stopped working on it :(