[WIP/DEV/ROM] MIUI ROM! Pngs finished! Calling All Devs! (12-22-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

alexthearmo

Nov 22, 2009
www.myspace.com
This is a port of the MIUI rom to our mdpi devices. We need help to get this ROM running on our lower end devices (ie: Hero, G1, Magic, etc). Please PM alexthearmo if you are willing to help in any way!

Update 12/22/10: We are officially done porting every single png in every apk to be compatible with our phones (mdpi). This has been a huge undertaking and many people were involved: ehac1680, alexthearmo, neilege, andronut, dannybiker, moxlon69, asadullah, and jpool81 (if I forgot you, please PM me). Unfortunately, this project is now beyond our capabilities. Now that the tedious work is done, we need some Devs who are willing to get these APKs to run on our devices. I am posting a link to the new mdpi MIUI apks, so that any willing DEV can take this project to the next level. PLEASE don't let this project be abandoned! It is now in the hands of the community/devs!

Here are the MDPI MIUI APKS. <-----These are all the apk files that are found in the MIUI ROM.

Credits: A detailed list of who did which apks

If you are interested in learning more about the MIUI rom, check out the following links!

MIUI ROM in action: MIUI VIDEO

Read about the latest MIUI update here: MIUI UPDATE

And here's a link to the ROM for any DEVS who want to look at it and help port: MIUI ROM DOWNLOAD <--- Don't Flash! This ROM has the old (hdpi) apks. If you want the new (mdpi) ones, download them from the top of the OP.

Keep this thread positive and proactive and soon enough we'll have a sweet ROM! Thanks for a great community!

God bless!

Last edited:

tankcole

Jun 23, 2010
I literally screamed when I read this title!!!! OMG!!!:D This is very good news and I'm excited to see how it's works and I'll glad test it too.

ASimmons

Retired Recognized Developer
May 4, 2010
Tampa Bay
I pm'ed bnice about this since he mentioned that he could get the kernel running for the hero, and I have a ton of experience with porting pngs. But I haven't heard back, I might have to signup at miui to get his attention.

What do you guys think should I per-sue this? I run miui on my evo now and I need a reason to mess with the hero again.

It should. They said it makes the Nexus One process 3 times faster than stock android. That's a crazy speed boost, so it should be the same for us as well. You can read about it in the article I recently posted to the bottom of the original post.

Over clocking and optoes can very alot between cpu's while I think it would run on the hero just fine, I would expect it to be very comparable to other AOSP roms.

Last edited:

PMDColeslaw

Dec 3, 2008
Memphis
I pm'ed bnice about this since he mentioned that he could get the kernel running for the hero, and I have a ton of experience with porting pngs. But I haven't heard back, I might have to signup at miui to get his attention.

What do you guys think should I per-sue this? I run miui on my evo now and I need a reason to mess with the hero again.

Over clocking and optoes can very alot between cpu's while I think it would run on the hero just fine, I would expect it to be very comparable to other AOSP roms.

If it's worth running on the EVO I'd say its definately worth running on the Hero :)

alexthearmo

Nov 22, 2009
www.myspace.com

YES! Please Pursue! We need the help. I just downloaded the newest MIUI rom to check out the files...but I'm dreading doing the 9.pngs. I am so slow at them, and I've only really worked with them twice before.

Here...download the latest ROM and check it out. If you have a lot of experience, it'll help make the process so much faster. We would LOVE the help! http://code.google.com/p/d1-miui/downloads/detail?name=D1-MIUI-0.11.26.1.zip&can=2&q

Let me know!

ASimmons

Retired Recognized Developer
May 4, 2010
Tampa Bay
My theme porter could probably do a substantial amount of the png porting with some small tweaks to it. Alex tell me if you need anything I'll follow your lead on this.

EDIT:
I check the out tonight and see if I can't convert every png (even the 9 patch's) tonight. I'll check back

alexthearmo

Nov 22, 2009
www.myspace.com
My theme porter could probably do a substantial amount of the png porting with some small tweaks to it. Alex tell me if you need anything I'll follow your lead on this.

EDIT:
I check the out tonight and see if I can't convert every png (even the 9 patch's) tonight. I'll check back

Awesome! If you need help with the pngs let me know (though, I don't have very much time right now...it's finals time for college). I don't know how to do any of the kernel, or xml stuff...I just know how to work with pngs, 9.pngs, and a TINY bit of HEX editing...so we need people like you involved with the project.

Do you know how to do all the other fancy stuff? (ie: compiling, getting a rom to work on our hardware, etc)?

dirkyd3rk

Jul 14, 2008
Houston, TX
www.twitter.com
MIUI makes CM6 and aosp look like windows 95. its not just a skin, its a whole rom full of gestures and etc. Maybe u just ran a THEMED CM6, but this my friend is way diff from cm6/aosp. Miui is epic man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a port of the MIUI rom to our mdpi devices. We need help to get this ROM running on our lower end devices (ie: Hero, G1, Magic, etc). Please PM alexthearmo if you are willing to help in any way!

Update 12/22/10: We are officially done porting every single png in every apk to be compatible with our phones (mdpi). This has been a huge undertaking and many people were involved: ehac1680, alexthearmo, neilege, andronut, dannybiker, moxlon69, asadullah, and jpool81 (if I forgot you, please PM me). Unfortunately, this project is now beyond our capabilities. Now that the tedious work is done, we need some Devs who are willing to get these APKs to run on our devices. I am posting a link to the new mdpi MIUI apks, so that any willing DEV can take this project to the next level. PLEASE don't let this project be abandoned! It is now in the hands of the community/devs!

Here are the MDPI MIUI APKS. <-----These are all the apk files that are found in the MIUI ROM.

Credits: A detailed list of who did which apks

If you are interested in learning more about the MIUI rom, check out the following links!

MIUI ROM in action: MIUI VIDEO

Read about the latest MIUI update here: MIUI UPDATE

And here's a link to the ROM for any DEVS who want to look at it and help port: MIUI ROM DOWNLOAD <--- Don't Flash! This ROM has the old (hdpi) apks. If you want the new (mdpi) ones, download them from the top of the OP.

Keep this thread positive and proactive and soon enough we'll have a sweet ROM! Thanks for a great community!

God bless!

Oh grumble grumble. The grinch is feeling the christmas spirit today...
    Ok, I can do it but here's what I need:

1. Repacked apk files. Remember it's 2.2 aosp so for the most part the apps themselves just need to be shoved into a 2.2 rom.
    2. The HTC Hero MIUI Rom (or the wildfire, or the other one but what we really need for everything to work is the hero rom, and I know it will not be cdma so some things will never work [unless you could get the source from them but I doubt it]). I will need to deconstruct the framework.apk file.... well... maybe not? I know I can shove it to the phone and if it doesnt work then I can go back and reload.
    2. Since it's just 2.2 aosp HEAVILY modified, I can just put the files in that.
    3. Could take a while for testing.
    Updated instructions on how to port the pngs to mdpi!

Here are detailed instructions on how to port the pngs for anyone who is interested in helping. It's really easy! The more help we get the quicker we can have this ROM! :D

Before starting, install these programs on your pc.
    This is for the PNGS Program for PNGS
    This is for 9.pngs Program for 9.pngs

Once installed, you can start:

1) Download the MIUI ROM at the bottom of the first page (original post).

2) unzip it.

3) Open the folder and find system/app.

4) Choose an apk file from the system/app folder that hasn't been worked on (see original post for a list of files that are currently being worked on).

5) Once you've chosen your apk (or apks) PM Alexthearmo so he knows which ones you are working on, and can update the original post so others don't work on the same apk.

6) Rename the apk to .zip and unzip the files (or just use the free program "7zip" to unzip the apk...either way works).

7) Go to the RES folder. In the res folder you will find some folders with the word "drawable" in the titles. Any folder that has the word "drawable" somewhere in the title has pngs that need to be edited. (Note: It is a good idea to check the other folders too, just in case there are some pngs hiding in them as well).

Now that you've found the images, we can start resizing them. We will start with the regular pngs first.

8) Open the Multiple Image Resizer program that you just installed and click: "Add individual images".

9) Navigate to the folder with the images you want to resize and select ALL of the PNGS (Note: Do NOT select any 9.pngs. They will get ruined!) and click "open".

10) Now that your images are in the program, go to the bottom of the program window and you will see "Save Options". Click on it and and create a folder that you want to save them to (Note: It's a good idea to name the folder the same as the folder you are taking the images from. Like, Drawable-hdpi or whatever it's called. I usually save them on my desktop). Also...click "Maintain Original Resolution". Make sure "Processed Image Filetype" is set for PNG and NOT jpeg!

11) Now, on the bottom panel navigate to "Processing Options" and make sure only "Resize Images" is checked.

12) Now, on the bottom panel navigate to "Resizing Options". Check the "Percentage" option, and then enter 66% into the little percentage box.

13) Finally, navigate to "Go" and click "Go". It'll resize all your pngs at once! :D

14) Do this for each folder in the apk with regular pngs in them till all your pngs have been resized.

Now we can start resizing the 9.pngs

15) Open one of the drawable folders from your apk, and delete all the regular pngs (since you've already resized them and they are in a separate "finished" folder). By deleting all the original sized pngs, you will be able to see which 9.pngs need to be edited. Note: Make sure to double check before clicking delete! You definitely don't want to accidently delete any 9.pngs.

16) Find any 9.pngs that are the same size (ie: multiple images that are 48x48, or multiple images that are 126x20, etc.)

17) Select all the images that are the same size (ex: all images that are 48x48)

18) Use a calculator to find out what 66% of 48 is. For example...type in 48, then multiply it by .66. The answer is about 32. This will be the size of your new images: 32 x 32! (NOTE: If the image is not a perfect square you will need to find out what each number is...for example, if the image is 120 x 100, then you need to multiply 120 by .66, which is 79, and then multiply 100 by .66 which is 66. So your new image will be 79 x 66)

19) Once you've figured out the right size for your new image (and you've made sure that all same size images are selected) right click one of the images and select "resize pictures".

20) Select custom, enter your new image size, make sure the "Resize the original pictures (don't create copies" box is checked, and click ok. (Sometimes the 9.pngs don't resize properly if you check the "Resize the original pictures" box...so maybe it'd be better to just keep it unselected, let it make copies, and then delete the originals and rename the new ones...at least for the 9.pngs...but give it a try both ways, and see which way works for you.)

21) Once your selected 9.pngs have been resized, drag and drop them into your "finished" folder with the pngs that you resized earlier. This way, you know exactly which 9.pngs you have left to do.

22) Do this again for all the different sized pictures in the folder, remembering to change the measurements to their new sizes (multiply by .66 to get the right measurements).

23) You are done! Now zip up the RES folder and PM it to Alex letting him know you are done. Make sure you remind him what apk (or apks) it was for.

24) Alex will add your name to the HERO MIUI "hall of fame" in the original post where it will stand in all its' glory forever and ever! :D

Asadullah made a video, but his process might be a little different than what I wrote...but still, feel free to check it out if it will help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhnsAtKKoOg

Thanks for your help! Let's get this done!
    I want to help you... I try to port on G1... so we can collaborate...
    I'll probably be able to port something today. I'll do something simple and throw up a video on it so others can learn. It'll be about editing xmls and pngs

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App