[WIP] No Call Sound, block Auto-Update Play Services

Search This thread

nitephlight

Mar 16, 2012
this thread is regarding the recent loss of phone call audio due to updates to Google Play Services

investigating potential workarounds to prevent auto update of play services without breaking every google app.

EDIT: this is for rooted users.. if your not familiar with this stuff, please wait till someone can validate this one way or another,

UPDATE: Confirmed that Google Play Services version 6.1.88 works for this fix. Version 6.5+ is directly responsible for loss of audio.

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google.../google-play-services-6-1-88-1557022-034-apk/

Steps to confimed fix:
1. revert to functional version of Play Services (see apkmirror link above, from backup if available)
2. In App details or Titanium Backup etc. , wipe data + cache for Play Services.
3. Reboot to recovery, wipe dalvik + cache
6. Freeze Play Store , Play Services will remain @ old version, and phone audio will be fixed.

this will retain existing gapps functionality, but we'll have to sacrifice Play Store access for now.

Unconfirm WIP stuff:
in play store database, there seems to be an auto_update field. Using sql editor, we can try updating this value to 0. appstate table is in data/data/com.android.vending/databases/localappstate.db

2. set value to 0 in table above for auto update
4. (DO NOT wipe data for Play Store, we need that sql edit to stick)

415825e0451c0d61ece7e2745e3d26f4.jpg

Last edited:

crushalot

Jun 18, 2011
Raleigh
www.htc1guru.com
this thread is regarding the recent loss of phone call audio due to updates to Google Play Services

investigating potential workarounds to prevent auto update of play services without breaking every google app.

EDIT: this is for rooted users.. if your not familiar with this stuff, please wait till someone can validate this one way or another,

in play store database, there seems to be an auto_update field. Using sql editor, we can try updating this value to 0. appstate table is in data/data/com.android.vending/databases/localappstate.db
If you're testing this out, revert to functional version of Play Services (from backup if available, or clearing data/cache on Google Play Services and rebooting seems to work as well), set value to 0 in table above for auto update then reboot and clear cache/dalvik.

Nice find. When I was having the issue like crazy yesterday I tried so many things, then just toggling GPS (location service) off and it worked. So for those removing Play store and such try just disabling GPS after clearing Google services cache and then reboot. After the phone has been fully booted re-enable GPS and all is working ok.

Has this hack been working for those who have tried it?

neijia

Nov 19, 2008
Would taking 'google services framework' or some app from an m7 which doesn't have this issue and flashing it on our phones work?

I've just resorted to occasionally clearing 'google services framework' and restarting. I've found thats the fastest way without freezing anything.

Update: installed the 'HTC service pack' from the store (without going back to stock) and rebooted, but it solved nothing. HTC service pack doesn't work. It seems like HTC is doing something about it as the service pack was even updated just today.

Last edited:

maxpower2078

Jan 2, 2012

If you're testing this out, revert to functional version of Play Services (from backup if available, or clearing data/cache on Google Play Services and rebooting seems to work as well), set value to 0 in table above for auto update then reboot and clear cache/dalvik.

what is the package name in this table? I can't find one that would make sense for the google play services?

TheTana

Sep 24, 2013
Tuzla
Working fix

Just to confirm, this fix works.
I followed the instructions from the first post (changed the entry auto update entry from 1 to 0, wiped data and cache of google play services, rebooted), and I can confirm that calls are working. I even toggled location reporting a few times which reproduced the issue before and calls are working.
I've been hung up on this issue for a couple of days now and short of flashing the new 5.0.1 ROM, this is the only fix working for me. I really doubt that the issue is in any way related to the latest HTC updates..
I'm using ViperOne 7.0.1 with ElementalX-m7-18.0-Sense kernel.

Reactions: nitephlight

nitephlight

Mar 16, 2012
Just to confirm, this fix works.
I followed the instructions from the first post (changed the entry auto update entry from 1 to 0, wiped data and cache of google play services, rebooted), and I can confirm that calls are working. I even toggled location reporting a few times which reproduced the issue before and calls are working.
I've been hung up on this issue for a couple of days now and short of flashing the new 5.0.1 ROM, this is the only fix working for me. I really doubt that the issue is in any way related to the latest HTC updates..
I'm using ViperOne 7.0.1 with ElementalX-m7-18.0-Sense kernel.
awesome, can you confirm whether the fix persists through reboot?

maxpower2078

Jan 2, 2012
gms is playservices.

Thanks, so I have changed that rows auto_update value to 0, reset cache and data of google play services and restarted my phone but am still experiencing the same issue.

PS I have not reverted to any previous version of anything, still running firmware 6.09.401.5 and google play services 6.5.87 (1599771-038)

Should I find an older version of google play services?

PS. what is the last known "good" version of google play services?

Last edited:

TheTana

Sep 24, 2013
Tuzla
awesome, can you confirm whether the fix persists through reboot?
Yes, the fix persists through multiple reboots. I give the device 5 minutes after each reboot and issue a call. Works fine.

@TheTana,
What version of Google Play Services are you running? Also, did you restore your older version from backup or did you just install it from an apk?

I did not install any version manually, just wiped cache and data.. As far as I know, I'm running the "latest" version for this ROM. Here are the exact versions as seen in Titanium Backup.
Google Play services v6.5.87 (1599771-038)
Google Play Store v5.0.38
Google Services Framework 4.4.4-1227136

Reactions: neijia

gr8lats

Mar 16, 2010
Oakville
I'm having problems same as everyone else. Running Viper One 7.0.1 with Elemental X m7 18.0
Google Play services 6.5.87 and Play Store 5.0.38
Tried several things suggested on Viper forum with no luck. Restored backup from November 27th and when Play Store asked for permission to run I"Declined". Have for several hours now made many calls and received many calls with no problems. Before doing this I noticed that pressing call there was a lag or delay initiating the call. I can't work without phone but can live without Play Store for now.

Well, 22 hours later and still have a working phone that I can make and receive calls on without any problems.
Sent from my SM-T700 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

neijia

Nov 19, 2008
Yes, the fix persists through multiple reboots. I give the device 5 minutes after each reboot and issue a call. Works fine.

I did not install any version manually, just wiped cache and data.. As far as I know, I'm running the "latest" version for this ROM. Here are the exact versions as seen in Titanium Backup.
Google Play services v6.5.87 (1599771-038)
Google Play Store v5.0.38
Google Services Framework 4.4.4-1227136

Thanks TheTana. Are you still successful?

Also, phone app now just won't respond. Takes reboot and clear data from google services framework to work.

Last edited:

neijia

Nov 19, 2008
Yes, still working normally.

About how long have you had this success for?

I saw that on my phone (which has not done the fix you are doing), there will be a certain amount of time where the calls will not be able to work (after a reboot and data wipe of 'google services framerwork'). Maybe less than an hour.

TheTana

Sep 24, 2013
Tuzla
About how long have you had this success for?

I saw that on my phone (which has not done the fix you are doing), there will be a certain amount of time where the calls will not be able to work (after a reboot and data wipe of 'google services framerwork'). Maybe less than an hour.

Yes, it can be time related. I played a little with reproducing the issue after wiping data and cache earlier today (before the fix). For now it's working for about 4.5 hours and a dozen of reboots, with no issues. I will report back if calls fail again.

KingAlz

Dec 11, 2014
Sydney
Would taking 'google services framework' or some app from an m7 which doesn't have this issue and flashing it on our phones work?

I've just resorted to occasionally clearing 'google services framework' and restarting. I've found thats the fastest way without freezing anything.

Update: installed the 'HTC service pack' from the store (without going back to stock) and rebooted, but it solved nothing. HTC service pack doesn't work. It seems like HTC is doing something about it as the service pack was even updated just today.

I received a service pack update this morning - see attached. That didn't solve anything. I also tried clearing data & cache on all google play services, framework etc..

Back to square one. for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-12-08-59-40.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-12-08-59-40.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 543

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UPDATE: Confirmed that Google Play Services version 6.1.88 works for this fix. Version 6.5+ is directly responsible for loss of audio.

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google.../google-play-services-6-1-88-1557022-034-apk/

Steps to confimed fix:
    1. revert to functional version of Play Services (see apkmirror link above, from backup if available)
    2. In App details or Titanium Backup etc. , wipe data + cache for Play Services.
    3. Reboot to recovery, wipe dalvik + cache
    6. Freeze Play Store , Play Services will remain @ old version, and phone audio will be fixed.

this will retain existing gapps functionality, but we'll have to sacrifice Play Store access for now.

Unconfirm WIP stuff:

2. set value to 0 in table above for auto update
    4. (DO NOT wipe data for Play Store, we need that sql edit to stick)

Hot fix now available through venomhub

If anyone is not following the main viper thread, there is a hot fix that was posted in the VENOMHUB this morning.

Reports are it is working and fixes the problems.
    Look under HOT FIX in the downloads section.

Good to see the relatively fast response to this issue.

Great job Venom.
    removed the zip fix with the 2 sound files. After deepsleep (~2hours) the bug was there again.
    (6.5.99. will test it with 6.5.96 now)

temp good solution:
    go to playstore and download the app called disable services
    in the app (needs SU permission) browse to the google play services
    and disable CheckinServices.
    reboot

thats all
    Do I need an older version of google play services or play store or sth or "I'm good to go?"
    And thank you very much ;)

no you can stay at latest.. only disable the CheckinService with the app from playstore and reboot
    My m7 (ViperOne 7.0.1) phone silence problem was just fixed with Google Play services 6.5.96 and a reboot.

As a new user I can't post a link, but the file is at: Apkmirror dot com -> google -> google play services -> Dec 10
    Google Play services 6.5.96 (1630522-038)
    Nope, that's not the trick. Has this version 2 days and the no sound problem comes back. Now I am using Disable Service app and in the Google Play Services I deactivate the CheckinService. 4 hours now with sound when calling. ?

[size=-4]Send with much love & Android.[/size]
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone