• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[WIP][ROM][6.0] Nexus 7 Marshmallow - Android 6.0

Search This thread

Motorhead1991

Jul 6, 2012
It was bound to happen, so here it is. The Grouper running Android 6.0!

What works:
- WiFi
- display
- audio
- Bluetooth (partially)
- Multiwindow
- Auto-rotate

What's broken:
- OTG
- surfaceflinger*

What's untested:
- camera
- NFC

I will not offer a ROM zip at this point due to the fact that the rootfs is inherently insecure for the time being. However, the sources are available below and should be bootable.

Sources:
http://github.com/Grouper-aosp

CREDITS:
@dolorespark - ramdisk fixes, sepolicy fix (3.1 compatible)
@Ziyan - kernel work and device tree
@GtrCraft - device tree help, testing and support

Last edited:

dmitrygr

Dec 15, 2010
Having done this already, let me add:

most likely also you have gps broken, and nfc broken
i am guessing selinux is also not doing all it should

:)

also the issue is not with surfaceflinger (that is just the symptom)

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
Szentes

For NFC, we need to revert this commit - adding it to the device tree is way too problematic, and this shouldn't cause problems for other devices anyways....
For SELinux on 3.1, we need these commits, and we need to remove three recovery-related neverallowed rules from the device tree (not a huge deal really) - these commits are already included in my 3.4 kernel (thanks to the android-3.4 merge), but it's not ready to be shipped... posting a screenshot of M running with 3.4 was a mistake.
For EGL, I use this workaround, which fixes that particular problem without modifying the system libraries - it would be really nice if you knew another, nicer solution, also without modifying the system libraries :)

Right now, GPS, camera and audio is broken (thought audio might be broken because of camera - I experienced similar symptoms while working on 3.4).

Last edited:

Kevinjoa

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 29, 2013
Luedenscheid
kevinhoerner.de

The NFC propably needs the NXP NFC stack which had been dsiabled building by google and can be reverted: https://gerrit.omnirom.org/#/c/14956/
My Optimus G needed relocations for the nfc hardware lib, but I think it might be not needed, anyway this is hacky change to make relocations warnings again: https://gerrit.omnirom.org/#/c/14955/

Motorhead1991

Jul 6, 2012
For NFC, we need to revert this commit - adding it to the device tree is way too problematic, and this shouldn't cause problems for other devices anyways....
For SELinux on 3.1, we need these commits, and we need to remove three recovery-related neverallowed rules from the device tree (not a huge deal really) - these commits are already included in my 3.4 kernel (thanks to the android-3.4 merge), but it's not ready to be shipped... posting a screenshot of M running with 3.4 was a mistake.
For EGL, I use this workaround, which fixes that particular problem without modifying the system libraries - it would be really nice if you knew another, nicer solution, also without modifying the system libraries :)

Right now, GPS, camera and audio is broken (thought audio might be broken because of camera - I experienced similar symptoms while working on 3.4).

In hindsight, yeah showcasing 3.4 was jumping the gun a little bit. I just got ahead of myself and wanted to bring hope to people that still use such an "old" device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It was bound to happen, so here it is. The Grouper running Android 6.0!

What works:
    - WiFi
    - display
    - audio
    - Bluetooth (partially)
    - Multiwindow
    - Auto-rotate

What's broken:
    - OTG
    - surfaceflinger*

What's untested:
    - camera
    - NFC

I will not offer a ROM zip at this point due to the fact that the rootfs is inherently insecure for the time being. However, the sources are available below and should be bootable.

Sources:
    http://github.com/Grouper-aosp

CREDITS:
    @dolorespark - ramdisk fixes, sepolicy fix (3.1 compatible)
    @Ziyan - kernel work and device tree
    @GtrCraft - device tree help, testing and support
    Update: I was able to fix gps in a similar way. Also, it seems like 3.1 + M isn't going to play together (serious memory management issues), so I had to switch back to 3.4 (me and @sheffzor are working on 3.4 day and night). So, only camera and audio remains :)
    -"My car is broken"
    -"Certainly a new alternator will help"

uhh.. no, it will only help if the issue was the alternator...

Not to be mean or anything, but i do take issue with such baseless statements

Since our main problem is the memory management with the current, outdated kernel. There are many mm improvements in 3.4 (including android-3.4). I've been giving test builds to some users, and like everyone reported positively about it (even if we run out of memory, chances are that 3.4 will free up memory more effectively, maybe less fragmentation, etc - take a look at the mm commits really). There some other misc things 3.4 will manage better, but I don't really want to write an essay from a phone.

Your car is hard to start due to a worn out alternator, surely a new one will improve things.

Edit: of course there are other things we can do to help with this issue, but I really think that with 3.4 around the edge, it's our best option right now.

While I aggree with the part that I should have included this in my original post, I also notice thar you're a bit rude - surely as a Google engineer you know much more about the situation (like with your awesome libdmitry solution) than anyone else on these forums, but I also notice that instead of giving us tips (after specifically asking you about a better workaround for the surfaceflinger issue, because it seems like you know one), you're just saying that we're doing the wrong thing. But hey, at least we're trying.
    Wow. Though, it would be great if anyone -- or the OP -- could cook the ROM and share the link. Looks good enough.

A link will be posted as soon as we fix Surfaceflinger and a couple bugs in the 3.4 kernel.
    @Motorhead1991 awesome work @dmitrygr saw a reddit post where you said you are working on nexus 7.... patiently waiting for it after trying your nexus 4 build :D

Other way around, friend :). @dmitrygr did the N4. I started on the N7 (2012) myself and received assistance from him and others :).