[WIPE][COMPLETE][FLASHABLE] SuperWipe v2 (30 Jan 2011) - So Fresh and So Clean Clean!

Search This thread

Ohsaka

Jun 8, 2009
One thing we have run into with BiffMod ROM is that there is no single "COMPLETELY erase the phone" solution.

So this is my attempt at it.... No console/terminal, no adb shell, no USB, no anything required. Just flash the file in recovery and you are done.

But OHSAKA! There are tons of threads about this, there are even existing "wipe-update" files to erase the phone. What makes your flashable update file so special???

Well I'm glad you asked that. This update contains the 'erase_image' executable with all the needed libraries statically linked. (thanks ezterry) 'erase_image' performs a low-level format of the partition which can fix unforeseen problems. Most other wipe-updates just perform "rm -rf *" at the file system level and don't touch the boot partition.

v2
---
Kudos to RichieDaze! He stepped up and added some often requested functionality to this popular wipe script. Now SuperWipe will check the root of the /sdcard/ directory for a file named "SuperWipe.conf". This file will control which partitions get erased and also control if the script triggers an auto-reboot. If the file is not present, then the script will default to wiping all partitions.

SuperWipe.conf
Code:
## SuperWipe Custom Configuration

## So Fresh and So Clean Clean Menu

## Cannot be blank (yes or No)
#
Wipe_Cache=yes
Wipe_Userdata=yes
Wipe_System=yes
Wipe_Boot=yes
Wipe_Sd_Secure=yes
Wipe_Sd_Ext=yes
#
##

## Extras
#
Reboot_when_done=no
Reboot_Delay=5
#
##

SuperWipe v2 (MD5: a3c358c1e027c8ec039ada8e667cab1a)

SuperWipe.conf (MD5: 1e7eb3a97270142aa6bf7c4fca9c2490)

You will need to reboot back into recovery after running this. If you forget and try to boot normally, you will have to pull battery to power off.

v1
---
This update will:
1) Call erase_image on CACHE, SYSTEM, USERDATA, and BOOT partitions
2) Mount /sd-ext (if it exists) and delete all files from it
3) Delete all files in the /sdcard/.android_secure directory which is where all the froyo apps2sd files live
4) Run e2fsck (file system repair) on the your ext partition
5) Log all output to the /tmp/wipe.log file (if you care)

I think this is the most complete way to wipe a phone. It supersedes 'fastboot erase system -w', VOL_DOWN+HOME+BACK, Amon_RA wipes, or various other flashable update-wipe zips.

I have tested this file the best I can on my phone. I verified all partitions are completely empty after running it. Any suggestions or bug reports are welcome!

SuperWipe (MD5: 945218bbbeab63d2c41e20c3243176ce)

You will need to power off and reboot back into recovery after running this. If you forget and try to boot normally, you will have to pull battery to power off.

Last edited:

yo9gnc

May 26, 2010
Bucharest
a "low format" kind of wipe should isolate the bad blocks on the memory (i have such things :D ) ? and because i can`t use anything that require usb on my phone, i`ll try use your file to wipe and then reinstall biffmode2.1 (which i have trough bart restore from another phone).
another question. if your file is like a low format, is it ok to use it every time ? or often ?
Later edit: tried it. the rom still doesn`t install. so i don`t know what the problem is. i guess that your wipe script is ok. the rom stuff is not your problem :) but since cm6 stable, i can`t install any rom.
for your script, just release a lot of time spent with the "wipe" operations in flashing new roms. and from what you say, it does it better. so, nice job! :)

Last edited:
a "low format" kind of wipe should isolate the bad blocks on the memory (i have such things :D ) ? and because i can`t use anything that require usb on my phone, i`ll try use your file to wipe and then reinstall biffmode2.1 (which i have trough bart restore from another phone).
another question. if your file is like a low format, is it ok to use it every time ? or often ?
Later edit: tried it. the rom still doesn`t install. so i don`t know what the problem is. i guess that your wipe script is ok. the rom stuff is not your problem :) but since cm6 stable, i can`t install any rom.
for your script, just release a lot of time spent with the "wipe" operations in flashing new roms. and from what you say, it does it better. so, nice job! :)

If you havent been able to install any rom since CM6... then its either your hardware, or your not giving it enough time to boot.

Getting ready to try this out because Im sure I have some bad blacks on my Mytouch 1.2 that have been causing location issues in sense roms for only about 4 months, before that all worked fine.

ezterry

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Yeah, when I told ezterry I was done and it works, he said "Doing what someone ought to have done ages ago"...
I still find fastboot erase a bit cleaner than erase_image but for 99.9% of your problems erase_image works well.. and can be done without a computer on hand.

whether I could use for my N1?

You need someone who knows how the n1 is set up to be sure, but I think it will work perfectly.. ask for some dev with an n1 to check.

Royalknight6190

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 22, 2009
Chandler
Great work Ohsaka, this is something that the community has been needing for a long time. You rock.

Sent from my HTC Hero using XDA App

R

r3s-rt

Quick dumb question. Could this possible offer a speed improvement when flashing a new ROM? I find that if I don't use fastboot, any Froyo ROM is completely unusable. Even if I do use fastboot, the Froyo ROMs usually bog down after a few hours. I'm talking like 10 minutes pounding on the screen trying to get an outgoing call to work. Could this possibly fix all this mess?

yo9gnc

May 26, 2010
Bucharest
If you havent been able to install any rom since CM6... then its either your hardware, or your not giving it enough time to boot.

Getting ready to try this out because Im sure I have some bad blacks on my Mytouch 1.2 that have been causing location issues in sense roms for only about 4 months, before that all worked fine.
i think i`m a little bit offtopic but i`m curious why do you think that? if i try to flash old roms, based on cm6rc1-2 ( like htcclay`s, or chromersmith`s), they work ok. since cm6 stable ... i`m stuck on the g1 logo after flashing zip.
i give`em enough time, believe me. are 15 minutes enough ? :D

Ohsaka

Jun 8, 2009
I don't think the cache partition is getting wiped :(

Code:
#!/sbin/sh
/tmp/work/erase_image cache
echo "erase_image cache=$?" >> /tmp/wipe.log
/tmp/work/erase_image system
echo "erase_image system=$?" >> /tmp/wipe.log
/tmp/work/erase_image userdata
echo "erase_image userdata=$?" >> /tmp/wipe.log
/tmp/work/erase_image boot
echo "erase_image boot=$?" >> /tmp/wipe.log

After you flash SuperWipe, open a shell and run 'cat /tmp/wipe.log'
If you see "erase_image cache=0" then it means the erase_image command did not report any errors...

XxKOLOHExX

Aug 23, 2009
Hawaii
Code:
#!/sbin/sh
/tmp/work/erase_image cache
echo "erase_image cache=$?" >> /tmp/wipe.log
/tmp/work/erase_image system
echo "erase_image system=$?" >> /tmp/wipe.log
/tmp/work/erase_image userdata
echo "erase_image userdata=$?" >> /tmp/wipe.log
/tmp/work/erase_image boot
echo "erase_image boot=$?" >> /tmp/wipe.log

After you flash SuperWipe, open a shell and run 'cat /tmp/wipe.log'
If you see "erase_image cache=0" then it means the erase_image command did not report any errors...

Oh okay lol :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One thing we have run into with BiffMod ROM is that there is no single "COMPLETELY erase the phone" solution.

So this is my attempt at it.... No console/terminal, no adb shell, no USB, no anything required. Just flash the file in recovery and you are done.

But OHSAKA! There are tons of threads about this, there are even existing "wipe-update" files to erase the phone. What makes your flashable update file so special???

Well I'm glad you asked that. This update contains the 'erase_image' executable with all the needed libraries statically linked. (thanks ezterry) 'erase_image' performs a low-level format of the partition which can fix unforeseen problems. Most other wipe-updates just perform "rm -rf *" at the file system level and don't touch the boot partition.

v2
    ---
    Kudos to RichieDaze! He stepped up and added some often requested functionality to this popular wipe script. Now SuperWipe will check the root of the /sdcard/ directory for a file named "SuperWipe.conf". This file will control which partitions get erased and also control if the script triggers an auto-reboot. If the file is not present, then the script will default to wiping all partitions.

SuperWipe.conf
    Code:
    ## SuperWipe Custom Configuration

## So Fresh and So Clean Clean Menu

## Cannot be blank (yes or No)
    #
    Wipe_Cache=yes
    Wipe_Userdata=yes
    Wipe_System=yes
    Wipe_Boot=yes
    Wipe_Sd_Secure=yes
    Wipe_Sd_Ext=yes
    #
    ##

## Extras
    #
    Reboot_when_done=no
    Reboot_Delay=5
    #
    ##

SuperWipe v2 (MD5: a3c358c1e027c8ec039ada8e667cab1a)

SuperWipe.conf (MD5: 1e7eb3a97270142aa6bf7c4fca9c2490)

You will need to reboot back into recovery after running this. If you forget and try to boot normally, you will have to pull battery to power off.

v1
    ---
    This update will:
    1) Call erase_image on CACHE, SYSTEM, USERDATA, and BOOT partitions
    2) Mount /sd-ext (if it exists) and delete all files from it
    3) Delete all files in the /sdcard/.android_secure directory which is where all the froyo apps2sd files live
    4) Run e2fsck (file system repair) on the your ext partition
    5) Log all output to the /tmp/wipe.log file (if you care)

I think this is the most complete way to wipe a phone. It supersedes 'fastboot erase system -w', VOL_DOWN+HOME+BACK, Amon_RA wipes, or various other flashable update-wipe zips.

I have tested this file the best I can on my phone. I verified all partitions are completely empty after running it. Any suggestions or bug reports are welcome!

SuperWipe (MD5: 945218bbbeab63d2c41e20c3243176ce)

You will need to power off and reboot back into recovery after running this. If you forget and try to boot normally, you will have to pull battery to power off.
    Awesome, thanks.

Here they are for everyone else.
    Ohsaka-SuperWipe_v2.zip

Superwipe.conf
    I shall keep this on my sd card, thank you Ohsaka :)
    My contribution to a wonderful idea

I hope that everybody enjoys the little extra enhancements. If you enjoy it plase don't hesitate to press the Thank you button on this post and on the 1st post on this thread.

If you have a requested feature(s) or request, please lets us know by posting your ideas on this thread.
    Version 2 is here.

All praise to RichieDaze!