• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Accessories Wireless car cradle which works with Z Flip 3?

Search This thread
I've collected various wireless car cradles over the years - I like to have my phone mounted on the windscreen and I use it for navigation.

Unfortunately, because of the location of the charging coil in the Z Flip 3 - at the bottom when in portrait mode, rather than halfway up the handset - most of them do not work with this phone :-(

Neither the genuine Samsung (which is otherwise excellent) nor either of my two different iOttie cradles work. I have a Qifull which does seem to work, but is no longer available.

The only cradles which I can find which claim to work with the Z Flip 3 are an iOttie which T-Mobile sell in the USA, and an Olixar sold by MobileFun. Unless you know otherwise...

Has anybody used either of these and can confirm that they actually do work with the Z Flip 3? Bonus points if you can tell me whether they interfere with FM or DAB radio reception!

Reactions: skotsour

FFW

May 24, 2020
From what I could find on the pictures of those chinese charging holders, their coils are quite far up as well, so you will probably get quite an inefficient charging.

I solved this for my phone by ordering the Spigen Steadiboost car charger - that one has no bottom clamp and I took advantage of that by simply mounting it upside down to move the coil to a better place.

The next step will be to design and print a bottom clamp which lets the phone rest 15mm below the lower end, measured from the recess the charger top has in the centre (as mentioned, mounted upside down, therefore "top" means "bottom" for me, just in case somebody is confused ;-) ) At this distance, I found I got the maximum current being pulled from the charger while charging the phone so I guess this means the best connection.
While such a clamp is not needed for holding the phone in place at all, that makes it easier to slide the phone into the correct height.

IMHO that one also has the big advantage of working with a simple spring mechanism instead of the unnecessary complicated motor-battery-electronics rubbish for clamping the phone that most of the other chargers have.

I will have to wait for the next summer however to confirm this to work in warmer temperatures.

Edit: I took the opportunity to take the thing apart and silence the springs with a bit of silicone grease - the temperature sensor is placed on top of the coil. Thus, it most likely will not matter in which direction the charger is mounted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Philip
Just in case anybody is thinking of buying the Olixar that I mentioned above, it does not work with the Z Flip 3.

Despite having been told by both Olixar Support and Mobile Fun Support (who, based on the similarities of the replies, may be the same thing?) that it would work, it simply doesn't. (The phone charges on other chargers; the charger works with other phones. But the location of the charging coils on the Flip 3 means that this charger does not work with this phone).

The search continues...

And I've just had an email back from iOttie support saying that they don't currently have any products which support the Z Flip 3.

So it sounds as if I'm looking for something which may not currently exist. Market opportunity for somebody, or too niche for anybody to bother?

Probably the latter. Most people have plugs already installed in the car, but inconveniently placed for that, and wireless charging is notoriously slow. Being a somewhat specific design, that means designing for it intentionally, too. Take all that and throw in that the Fold was the preferred option and most companies won't see the value.

phatmanxxl

Dec 30, 2008
LG V20
Nokia Lumia 520
I keep my iPhone 12 in the car for navigation and Spotify, car play is loads better than android auto (I wish Google or Samsung would step up their game in that department) I turn on my Hotspot for the iPhone. It may not be the answer your looking for but it works for me and my z flip can stay closed and charging in the car.

doggydog2

ok so i tried Joyroom JR-ZS248 which finds the coil usually, but it's not working.. now i have to think about what's next. Wireless charging in the car is a must. And no magnets this time, i keep Flip naked, no bulky case.

the phone form factor is fantastic for desktop chargers because the chance of positioning mistake is low. So relieved i dont need to fiddle with it each time.

doggydog2

Let me give you an update. I'm a Qi charging fanatic since S6. 9w-10w is a joke speed, but it is what it is. I've stepped up the game to 15W, then 30W (QC4), then even more with OnePlus, and now i'm back to year 2015 standards. Thanks Samsung.

[desktop]
Anyway all desk Qi chargers work fine except Nillkin Magic Disk 4 which charges but then gets into start / stop loop all night. So i've replaced it with Samsung old classic "Fast" (=10W) Charger EP-PN920 and it works well including 85% mode. Interestingly "Samsung" Note20 didn't work with it. Baseus Jelly works also on 10w.

[car]
Now back to car chargers. Have ton of them, and of course i hate the bulky ones. The ugly ones with huge legs. Motorized are sort of ok, but this won't work. I have checked all motorized chargers on the relevant innovative (Aliexpress) market and i'm confident none will work. I loved magnets before. Thin case and ultrathin magnet sticker (3gram) worked well. Such chargers are least ugly. But I don't want magnets on Flip. After a quick magnet test, i found the phenomenal Floveme charger, which charged all my flagships in last years, using 4 tiny magnets, works with Flip and it does so WITHOUT magnetic sticker! So this is fantastic news, i can keep my ZFlip shiny without a case. I did a car bounce test, and it holds confidently. Thou of course it may drop from time to time, that's what magnets do.
tl;dr ZFlip, due to design, has 4 magnets, matching Floveme® 4 point no interference design.

jucytec

Jan 20, 2009
I always use a magnetic charger on the vent. and put the metal ring on my phone case.

mine might be a bit overkill but... i have a laser cutter/engraver. so each case i get I burn out about .5mm of the case for the metallic ring to stick to the case and stay nearly flush.

if you are using it in landscape mode it won't work..

onestone

Aug 14, 2009
I had the same issue with QI car chargers with my Z Flip 3. I tried 5 different ones, mostly with no luck because most of them just have one coil.

Here are some of of the few that will work:

This one has two coils, hint from a german forum, didn't test myself:

This one is confirmed working, tested myself:

This one I am using finally, working flawlessly with the Z Flip 3, even the fast QI charging mode works fine:

The last one is also available internationally, not just in Germany. Try search "Hama FC-10" on Google or your favourite online shop.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let me give you an update. I'm a Qi charging fanatic since S6. 9w-10w is a joke speed, but it is what it is. I've stepped up the game to 15W, then 30W (QC4), then even more with OnePlus, and now i'm back to year 2015 standards. Thanks Samsung.

[desktop]
    Anyway all desk Qi chargers work fine except Nillkin Magic Disk 4 which charges but then gets into start / stop loop all night. So i've replaced it with Samsung old classic "Fast" (=10W) Charger EP-PN920 and it works well including 85% mode. Interestingly "Samsung" Note20 didn't work with it. Baseus Jelly works also on 10w.

[car]
    Now back to car chargers. Have ton of them, and of course i hate the bulky ones. The ugly ones with huge legs. Motorized are sort of ok, but this won't work. I have checked all motorized chargers on the relevant innovative (Aliexpress) market and i'm confident none will work. I loved magnets before. Thin case and ultrathin magnet sticker (3gram) worked well. Such chargers are least ugly. But I don't want magnets on Flip. After a quick magnet test, i found the phenomenal Floveme charger, which charged all my flagships in last years, using 4 tiny magnets, works with Flip and it does so WITHOUT magnetic sticker! So this is fantastic news, i can keep my ZFlip shiny without a case. I did a car bounce test, and it holds confidently. Thou of course it may drop from time to time, that's what magnets do.
    tl;dr ZFlip, due to design, has 4 magnets, matching Floveme® 4 point no interference design.

[desktop]

[car]
    I've collected various wireless car cradles over the years - I like to have my phone mounted on the windscreen and I use it for navigation.

Unfortunately, because of the location of the charging coil in the Z Flip 3 - at the bottom when in portrait mode, rather than halfway up the handset - most of them do not work with this phone :-(

Neither the genuine Samsung (which is otherwise excellent) nor either of my two different iOttie cradles work. I have a Qifull which does seem to work, but is no longer available.

The only cradles which I can find which claim to work with the Z Flip 3 are an iOttie which T-Mobile sell in the USA, and an Olixar sold by MobileFun. Unless you know otherwise...

Has anybody used either of these and can confirm that they actually do work with the Z Flip 3? Bonus points if you can tell me whether they interfere with FM or DAB radio reception!
    From what I could find on the pictures of those chinese charging holders, their coils are quite far up as well, so you will probably get quite an inefficient charging.

I solved this for my phone by ordering the Spigen Steadiboost car charger - that one has no bottom clamp and I took advantage of that by simply mounting it upside down to move the coil to a better place.

The next step will be to design and print a bottom clamp which lets the phone rest 15mm below the lower end, measured from the recess the charger top has in the centre (as mentioned, mounted upside down, therefore "top" means "bottom" for me, just in case somebody is confused ;-) ) At this distance, I found I got the maximum current being pulled from the charger while charging the phone so I guess this means the best connection.
    While such a clamp is not needed for holding the phone in place at all, that makes it easier to slide the phone into the correct height.

IMHO that one also has the big advantage of working with a simple spring mechanism instead of the unnecessary complicated motor-battery-electronics rubbish for clamping the phone that most of the other chargers have.

I will have to wait for the next summer however to confirm this to work in warmer temperatures.

Edit: I took the opportunity to take the thing apart and silence the springs with a bit of silicone grease - the temperature sensor is placed on top of the coil. Thus, it most likely will not matter in which direction the charger is mounted.