• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

wireless charging mod (s4 ACTIVE)

Search This thread

Rewind

Aug 14, 2007
I dont experience this problem.
Only the light goes on when battery is full. But then it just stops charging and stays at 100%.
Doesnt disturb me at all
with the original firmware

pitrus-

Sep 4, 2011
Östersund
www.wickenberg.nu
Have you tried the wireless charging xposed? It's supposed to be able to remove sound and vibration.

Hello,
Anyone have a solutions for this Problem?

What I have done:
First I rooted my phone, otherwise I see no chance to solve that Problem.
I installed Wanam Xposed
1) Solved= Hide Full Battery Notification
2) Solved= Screen off on disconnecting power plug
3) Not solved= There is an option to hide the Wireless Dialog, but the screen still wakes up and Notification Sound plays

Skickat från min LG-V500 via Tapatalk

stumo5

Jan 19, 2010
20140130_174709.jpg
I have cobbled together a qi charging loop for my s4a. I used one of those new 0.6mm thin loops for s4 off ebay. I had to cut the loop down a fair bit so that it remains entireley within the gasket. There is only so much you can trim it down without totally cutting the circuit tracks.

The only thing is the smd components interfere with the microSD card. You have to sort of angle the loop a bit so that it fits snug on top of the microSD card. If you don't run a microsd card then it would be g2g.

I also peeled off the white sticker/cover on the loop to gain that bit more clearance. But that wasn't enough, so...

I also sanded down the inside of the back cover, and removed the tab that locates the microSD card. This is not a clip, its just a protrusion. All of the clips on my back still function and there are absolutely no bulges.

I haven't tried it for waterproofness yet lol. I'm probably going to run a bead of dielectric grease around the gasket just to fully seal it.

Last edited:

gorcorps

Apr 22, 2011
View attachment 2548183
I have cobbled together a qi charging loop for my s4a. I used one of those new 0.6mm thin loops for s4 off ebay. I had to cut the loop down a fair bit so that it remains entireley within the gasket. There is only so much you can trim it down without totally cutting the circuit tracks.

The only thing is the smd components interfere with the microSD card. You have to sort of angle the loop a bit so that it fits snug on top of the microSD card. If you don't run a microsd card then it would be g2g.

I also peeled off the white sticker/cover on the loop to gain that bit more clearance. But that wasn't enough, so...

I also sanded down the inside of the back cover, and removed the tab that locates the microSD card. This is not a clip, its just a protrusion. All of the clips on my back still function and there are absolutely no bulges.

I haven't tried it for waterproofness yet lol. I'm probably going to run a bead of dielectric grease around the gasket just to fully seal it.

How's this been working?

stumo5

Jan 19, 2010
How's this been working?
Its really good. I don't ever have to fiddle with the USB flap anymore. One thing I've found is that the phone needs to be placed on the qi charging pad very accurately, otherwise it goes into a constant charging/unplugged cycle when the battery gets full. If you locate it properly it doesn't do this and just stays at 100%. Ive also put the heatsink grease around the gasket and it seems to still be waterproof so far.

system3rd

Feb 18, 2009
View attachment 2548183

where did you buy it? I couldn't find same thing..:crying:

stumo5

Jan 19, 2010
where did you buy it? I couldn't find same thing..:crying:
I got it on eBay. Just search for "thin s4 qi charger" or similar. Its actually got a white coloured sticker one one side (which I removed). This is the one I got...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321248188286

And a photo of it...
$_12.JPG

However, I have just found out the NFC doesn't work any more. I think because I peeled off the white label, it was a kind of foil backed label. Oh well, I don't use NFC anyway. I guess you don't really need to peel off the label. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2012
I searched for that, found one looked just the same and listing stated 0.6mm but in fact it's 0.95mm thick - mostly due to the thickness of the rubber foam layer between the flexible PCB and white sticker. Lifting a bit of sticker takes it back to 0.85mm. There'll need to be a lot of sanding to make room for that. Looking for a genuine 0.6mm version...

lseowyon

Sep 24, 2010
successfully mod S4 active wireless charging

hi guys, thanks for all the information in this thread. I've managed to get the wireless charging working and all the S4 active case "clips" fully clipped. But I have not think of a way to "safely" test the water-tightness, probably not testing it.

1) I've bought this S4 wireless receiver from a website called Tmart.

Wireless-Charger-Module-for-Samsung-S4I9500_320x320.jpg

2) I've taken out the plastic covering to expose the coil and the circuit. I wanted to shift the 2 contact points to allow me to re-position the coil so that I can close all the cover clips. So I went to a shop that repairs mobile phone to help me so some soldering professionally. Attached are some of the images.

13054347785_7e2b43227f_b.jpg

13054530325_0d1cdaf908_b.jpg

newton123

Oct 22, 2011
NSW - AUS
ViveAlive & Monster Watts wireless charging not honouring refund

I ordered a wireless charger through the vivealive.net website and, like everyone else was told it was cancelled. I can deal with that. What I can't stomach is the total lack of any contact from them or any other site regarding refund or alternate product, I have sent them countless emails and no response, I have not received a refund nor have I received a s4 pad.

What is the secret to getting them or monster watts to honour there offer of a refund or an alternative product.

oori002

Jun 24, 2013
Hey buddies

Looking this thread and couldn't get a clear answer.
Is our S4 Active can hold (and still be waterproof) any qi receiver that can be purchased on Ebay? (S4 qi receiver for example)

Will be happy for a link for compatible product or similar one :)

Thanks!

konvalink

Feb 8, 2012
Impossible

I think it's impossible to put wireless receiver under original cover and don't break water resistance... Because the space between battery and cover is 0,1mm!!! You can put here one slice of paper at the most. Of course, you can sand the cover a bit, but I'm not sure about water resistance, when you put something here and the silicon seal doesn't fit perfectly.

I think there is only one right way - make thicker back cover with wireless receiver installed inside. But it's available only for S4.

I had my own idea... Today I installed receiver into outer silicon cover and put out two wires from inside of phone. Wireless charging is working, phone is water resistant and no sanding was used:) I am testing the prototype now, but I can make some pictures, if someone is interested...

Last edited:

R_AL_Sim

Sep 23, 2004
UK
I think it's impossible to put wireless receiver under original cover and don't break water resistance... Because the space between battery and cover is 0,1mm!!! You can put here one slice of paper at the most. Of course, you can sand the cover a bit, but I'm not sure about water resistance, when you put something here and the silicon seal doesn't fit perfectly.

I think there is only one right way - make thicker back cover with wireless receiver installed inside. But it's available only for S4.

I had my own idea... Today I installed receiver into outer silicon cover and put out two wires from inside of phone. Wireless charging is working, phone is water resistant and no sanding was used:) I am testing the prototype now, but I can make some pictures, if someone is interested...

it is possible

I bought one of the white s4 qi chargers off ebay and pulled the stickers off i then removed the gasket off the cover and glued everything together with RTV silicone I then sealed up the usb charger cover with RTV and the phone is waterproof and has wireless charging I had to leave an area for the speaker as the first time i tried i covered the speakers and the phone was really quiet.

oh its also hell of a job to get the back cover off again but can be done but then you have to scrape all the old rtv out and put new rtv in when you put it back plus now i feel safer about getting the phone wet

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heres the backround on what i did to get wireless charging going...
    1) get palm coil and touchstone. i bought this on ebay for 10$ (just search touchstone charging kit)
    2) carefully remove the coil from the back cover of the palm phone. plastic cover first then the rest.
    3) what worked easiest for me was to keep all the coil stuff stuck to the removable plastic piece holding everything together, then you can simply stick it in the back of our active covers. (make sure when moving the magnets all the positive sides are facing towards the dock)
    4) Connecting it. I tried doing this a couple different ways and i eventually ended up pulling tiny copper wire out of computer speaker cable and used it like a twist tie on the phone terminals (then small amount of electrical tape to separate them...which worked out fine)*I attempted to do the same on the coil side of the connection but that was a bust so i ended up soldering it.. not my first choice but since its on the palm coil not my active I did it.*
    5) you should be all good to go at this point
    here are some pics too and of course if you some of mess your phone up...its not my fault
    Video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvO01b1CKBk
    feel free to pm if ya got a question me... I am leaving the country tomorrow night for a week, but ill try to get back to ya
    happy modding:)
    in the picture with highlighting yellow goes to left phone terminal(positive) and brown goes to right teminal (negative)
    fonesalesman . com who makes/sells the really thin GS4 receiver that has been shown a few times in this thread, is looking into one for the S4Active. Ive asked him to keep me informed if one becomes available, and I will of course update this thread if I do hear anything.

Hi All,

Just to let everyone know Fonesalesman is working on a solution, it will be similar to the current model with circuitry displaced to accommodate s4 active back plate and pins.

Any requests comments or advice will be appreciated. I am not likely visit forums often but communication via my website will be the most efficient.
    This information is all available elsewhere on these forums, but this seems like a good place to repeat and centralize it, so...

Once you do a wireless charging mod, your S4A may experience a couple common problems.

The first is that many daydreams use so much power that a lot of wireless chargers can't keep up, and you can actually drain your battery. Even if you do manage to eek out a positive charge, you may find that an overnight charge can't bring your battery to 100%. I used to use the "Beautiful Widgets" daydream, and found that I only got about 1% every 10 minutes or so. If you do the math, that's over 16 hours for a full charge from empty, so that could certainly be a problem.

If you want to use daydream settings, you may need to experiment to find one that minimizes battery drain. The one that seems to work best is Lucid Daydream Screensaver, mainly because it's one of the only ones (possibly THE only one) that can adjust brightness automatically based on the light sensor. Still, there were several others that worked fine, and it really depends on what you're looking for, so YMMV. Jut be wary of bright backgrounds and crazy animations.

Another common problem is that once fully charged, your phone will constantly engage and disengage the charger. You'll see a notification that the phone is fully charged, followed by the notice that you've started wireless charging, followed by a notification that the phone is fully charged, and... well... you can see where this is going. To make matters worse, every time the charger is engaged, you'll get the "charger connected" sound. The bottom line is that your phone will suddenly become very annoying, especially if it's sitting at your bedside. Samsung actually considers this a feature, so if you're looking a an official fix, you may be in for a very long wait, but fear not! There are some fixes. Unfortunately, they require root, so that's the first step.

TO GET RID OF THE NOTIFICATIONS
    ----------------------------------------------------
    You'll need to install the XPOSED mod. This mod allows a LOT of system-level changes, some of which are active by default, so please read up on this before applying. More information can be found here. Once installed, the key settings are under the "Framework" section. You'll want to select the "Hide full battery notification" and the "Hide wireless charging dialog" settings. This won't necessarily keep you in daydream mode, as the phone will still "wake up" every time it sees the charger disconnect or connect, but it does seem to help.

Unfortunately, while this also increases the time between "charger connected" sounds from a couple seconds to, well... longer, it doesn't get rid of it completely, so...

TO GET RID OF THE "CHARGER CONNECTED" SOUND
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You'll need a file manager that takes advantage of root access to mount system folders as Read/Write. My favorite is Root Explorer, but there are many. Basically, you need to browse to the \System\Media\Audio\UI folder, and delete the "Charge_Connection.ogg" file (be sure to make a backup, first!).

It's important to note that once you perform all of these steps, you've pretty much eliminated any indication (other than the small lightning bolt in the battery icon) that your phone has successfully connected to the wireless charger. If your charger has its own indicator, then this may not be an issue, but if not, it may take some getting used to.

Still, this makes your wireless-charging-enabled phone a lot less annoying at bedtime. Hopefully, this will help some people keep their sanity intact when using wireless charging at night.
    Wireless Reciever

let us know when it arrives if it does. I wouldn't mind picking one up

I haven't seen anyone post about this one. Why don't you try, the only thing to look out for is if it is too thick

I have ordered this to try. I will report on results however I will not be trying it under water
    Anyone tested wiqiqi chargers ?

They will make one for the Active maintaining water protection.

The system don't allow me to give you the link, but if you google this;

Samsung S4 Active Wireless Charger from WIQIQi

you will get there. Any with experience of wiqiqi ?