Wireless Phone Connection?

Search This thread

DMCShep

Sep 27, 2014
Akron, OH
After Google announced almost a full year ago that Android Auto would support phone connections without needing to rely on a USB cable, I have yet to find any news on this.

Is this still happening in the aftermarket HU's? Hoping this doesn't turn into another Android Wear situation where it lacks the attention it needs to make it a market hit.

manos78

Jan 17, 2014
Hi,

This is called "WIFI Projection", and it's included (hidden) in the last release. No one knows how to enable AND use it. Still in alpha!

I hope current HU with wired AA support can be upgraded to wireless with a simple USB dongle (not a Wifi dongle, but with an AA wireless adapter).

DMCShep

Sep 27, 2014
Akron, OH
Just to make sure I understood correctly: the option is there in the OS, but it doesn't work on any device as of yet? As if the software support is there, but the hardware support is not?

bluefoam

Jul 26, 2011
Dublin/Dubai
I'm a bit disappointed that Android Auto wasn't discussed at the I/O keynote... I think there's lots of usability updates required to improve it...

DMCShep

Sep 27, 2014
Akron, OH
Relevant:
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/0...finally-ready-to-talk-about-its-car-os/?amp=1

What gets me: is it really necessary to use a a different name for this? Chromecast comes in audio-only and video forms, Pixel comes in "XL" and "C" forms also, can't they just name it something like "Android Auto Standalone" and call it a day? It serves the same end goal of getting Android into your car's radio/head unit.

Still no news of the phone-based Android Auto and wireless that I can find. That said, if everything will be integrated into the radio to begin with, I'd welcome the lack of tethering. Might even get back to developing Android apps for myself now that I have a use for them, but for my car this time! Hopefully the aftermarket guys will be smart enough to bypass Android for the sound processing though. Would hate for a resource-hogging app to kill my radio!

Reactions: bluefoam

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Relevant:
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/0...finally-ready-to-talk-about-its-car-os/?amp=1

What gets me: is it really necessary to use a a different name for this? Chromecast comes in audio-only and video forms, Pixel comes in "XL" and "C" forms also, can't they just name it something like "Android Auto Standalone" and call it a day? It serves the same end goal of getting Android into your car's radio/head unit.

Still no news of the phone-based Android Auto and wireless that I can find. That said, if everything will be integrated into the radio to begin with, I'd welcome the lack of tethering. Might even get back to developing Android apps for myself now that I have a use for them, but for my car this time! Hopefully the aftermarket guys will be smart enough to bypass Android for the sound processing though. Would hate for a resource-hogging app to kill my radio!