• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

WM 6.5.1 Start Menu Sorter - Updated to 1.1

Search This thread

JoeWilcox

Feb 3, 2008
Sure, when Microsoft added the ability to rearrange the order of items in your start menu, I was happy. I use a vertical list and I like it sorted. But I have a lot of installed apps so doing it by hand is a pain at best.

So I spent a day and wrote the WM 6.5.1 Start Menu Sorter. It does just what it says, sorts your start menu. Just install the CAB and run the program.

[UPDATE]

I've release a new version of the sorter. I've really only changed 2 things.

1. You can now choose to sort Directories first
  2. Attempt at fixing localized OSes

Attachments

• StartSortInstaller.CAB
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,402
  • StartSortInstaller1.1.CAB
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,873
Last edited:

letsgoflyers81

Jun 25, 2007
I tried this on my Sprint Touch Pro 2 with Energy ROM 6.5 Leo and didn't do much. It definitely changed the order of icons in my Start Menu but they're not in alphabetical order. I ran it a couple times but it didn't change after the first time.

claus1953

Aug 15, 2008
Working good for me, sorts in alphabetical order.
+ 1 for folders on top as i have to move them manually after sorting.

MaXyM

Aug 14, 2008
May it sort by type first then by name? In result we will get all folders on the top, then files. folders and files will be still sorted by name but separately.

best regards

twe90kid

Jan 20, 2008
is there any update? it seems to only sort some of it or part of my start menu on build 21877

JoeWilcox

Feb 3, 2008
Files and folders are already sorted seperately, I just weight files first.

is there any update? it seems to only sort some of it or part of my start menu on build 21877

Isn't that a build without the improved start menu. It might not work there, it might. I've never installed a build from that branch so I don't know. What sorted and what didnt?

icon123

Oct 13, 2009
It would be great to get the folders listed first, like on the PC.

Since your 'AwesomeStart.cab' also changes the look of the Settings location, do you think you could provide another cab that orgainizes it like this one does? TIA

JoeWilcox

Feb 3, 2008
How does it change the look of the settings tab. It shouldn't be affecting the icons at all.

icon123

Oct 13, 2009
When I choose settings within sense 2.5, it looks like normal (prior to when I ran your awesome cab). However, when I click the soft menu for all settings, it goes to a list view of the settings like it does for the start menu, except they aren't in aphabetical order.