• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

WM6 Cooking Lessons ;) ?

Search This thread

_Nomad_

Nov 16, 2006
www.oquinena.com
There's a doc on hive files on microsoft somewhere... don't really remember... there's a link in the wm5 editing thread by mamiach...

You'll need to use the rgucomp tool to extract the hive files present in a rom dump. make the changes and reconstruct the hive. In my experience you'll also need to make the corresponding changes in the rgu files to make it work, although I'm not sure what overrides the other.

baarod

Aug 3, 2006
So easier to autoexec a cab from ext_rom than modify the hives directly. Probably why all the chefs do it that way.

_Nomad_

Nov 16, 2006
www.oquinena.com
for some things yes... but I think it sounds a lot more complicated than it really is... and for some things it's a necessity

take the crossbow leak for instance, it doesn't exec the autoload in the extended rom, for this rom you're forced to make the changes directly in the rom. And personally I think it's a lot more "stylish":D

cellneuron

Nov 6, 2006
for some things yes... but I think it sounds a lot more complicated than it really is... and for some things it's a necessity

take the crossbow leak for instance, it doesn't exec the autoload in the extended rom, for this rom you're forced to make the changes directly in the rom. And personally I think it's a lot more "stylish":D

I agree, sometimes modifing the hives are the only way to go.

notyourdaddy

Feb 16, 2006
if all you want is a cab that contains registry changes, you can use makecab. It takes an XML file of registry changes and turns it into a cab file. I use it to handle my registry tweaks for WM6 since it doesn't seem to always want to keep my registry changes after a reboot. Now all i have to do is run 1 cab and they all get set. Its pretty basic to use, i could post some syntax later if you like.

cellneuron

Nov 6, 2006
if all you want is a cab that contains registry changes, you can use makecab. It takes an XML file of registry changes and turns it into a cab file. I use it to handle my registry tweaks for WM6 since it doesn't seem to always want to keep my registry changes after a reboot. Now all i have to do is run 1 cab and they all get set. Its pretty basic to use, i could post some syntax later if you like.

Exactly what I want. Hope it is not too complicated.

notyourdaddy

Feb 16, 2006
Makecab takes an xml file of registry changes and produces a cab file with these changes. It can also be used to make a cab file with Exchange server settings and other items.

the makecab syntax i use is "makecab.exe _setup.xml outputcab.cab"

an example of the XML file would be as follows:
Code:
<wap-provisioningdoc>
<characteristic type="Registry">
<characteristic type="HKLM\Software\HTC\EngineerMode">
<parm name="BuildInEngineeringModeApp" value="1" datatype="integer" />
</characteristic>
<characteristic type="HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders">
<parm name="Cache" value="\\Storage Card\\InternetCache" datatype="string"/>
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
</wap-provisioningdoc>

This adds or modifies the DWORD value to turn Engineering mode on and adds or edits the string value to move the Internet Explorer cache to the storage card. You would then save this as _setup.xml and use makecab.exe to turn this into a cab file which you can then transfer to your phone and execute.

To add multiple entries under one key you would just add extra parm name entries.

Code:
<characteristic type="HKLM\COMM\TNETWLN1\PARMS">
<parm name="dot11SupportedRateMask" value="1" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="dot11SupportedRateMaskG" value="8" datatype="integer" />
</characteristic>

to add more entries to different keys, you would just add more characteristics.

makecab, if you don't already have it, can be dowloaded at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310618

This looks to be the list of supported service providers for the makecab utility and associated XML file:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...eproviderreferenceforwindowsmobiledevices.asp

I've only done registry changes using this method, but now that i know i can do alot more including configure my email accounts via cab file, i'm going to experiment with this tonight. If you have any questions, let me know and i'll do my best to help.

notyourdaddy

Feb 16, 2006
I'll post step by step how to edit the hv files either tomorrow or early next week.

If this is the wrong forum to post this, mods please let me know.

vippie

Nov 14, 2006
...modify "dump" directory as you need...

BuildImgfs.exe

make_imgfs.exe OS.nb -nosplit

Maybe a simple question, but I can't find the answer. How do you know when the cooked ROM gets too big? Can imagine that you can't just add 20 mb's of data and ofc don't want to brick my device.

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
Maybe a simple question, but I can't find the answer. How do you know when the cooked ROM gets too big? Can imagine that you can't just add 20 mb's of data and ofc don't want to brick my device.

Right, you cannot add too much data. When you exceed the free space either buildimgfs or make_imgfs (don't remember which one) gives you an error.

bye

ratcom

Mar 1, 2005
Nottingham, England
Thank You Guys!!!!!!!

I read though this thread with great interest as Ive looked into cooking my own rom once before and never really got it, however with the help of you "cooks in the house" here Ive successfully cooked and flashed my first rom! :) I cannot tell you what joy its given me ;) so THANK YOU EVERYONE for your help even if you don't realize you was helping me ;)

notyourdaddy

Feb 16, 2006
This is what works for me to edit hv files. This process is fairly easy if you follow the instructions. Every issue i have run into has been anwsered in either this thread or the original thread where these tools are located. Enjoy

Typho5 –x nk.nbf

prepare_imgfs.exe 80040000-OS.nb –nosplit

viewimgfs.exe imgfs_raw_data.bin

"HV to TXT (Drop a .HV file).bat" default.hv {i move this out of my dump directory to tweak }
Edit default.txt in notepad. Save as Unicode {important to save as unicode}
Rename to boot.rgu
make_boot_hv.bat
rename the newly generated boot.hv to default.hv {I then move it back into my dump directory before i forget}

repeat for user.hv for any HKCU
BuildImgfs.exe
Make_imgfs.exe 80040000-OS.nb –nosplit
Run nb2nbf_tornado.exe
Model id: wizard
Language: WWE
CID: Blank
Set output file
File #1 point to 80040000-OS.nb
Start address 80040000 {this will auto populate clear it and put this entry in}
Image Name: OS
Replace nk.nbf with new cooked one and update phone