WM6 Word Suggestion Fix

szilamer

May 26, 2005
Hi,

I see that currently leaked WM6 versions have problem with word suggestion checkbox in Start / Settings. You have to uncheck word suggestion on every soft reset. WM6 forget this setting.
This little fix should cure this :)

Install:

Copy wsuggfix.cab to Universal and uncheck word suggestion.

Try soft reset. Windows should remember your setting.

How does it work?
-------------------

The fix consists of two files:
wsgfix.dll
sippoll.exe

wsgfix.dll is a service dll. After installing cab wsgfix.dll creates a hidden window, and requests notifications about
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip, SuggWords value changes.
When Suggwords changes wsgfix copy this value to its own registry key.

sippoll.exe is only started on system startup. sippoll reads Suggwords and disables word suggestion if disabled and copy Suggwords back to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip, SuggWords. That's all. sippoll doesn't occupy precious program memory :)

Attachments

Cyber-mate

Sep 10, 2004
UAE
SuggWords fix...

I have discovered another way to fix this and even chang it to the number of words you want -of course reasonable.

\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CompIME

...change the "SuggWords" DWORD to the value tht reflects number of words suggested. I use 8, quite okay though.

I thought the same about SIP string but it is very stubborn!

szilamer

May 26, 2005
Thanks, it's good to know that.
But If I use this method, I have to edit registry after modifying settings in Control Panel. Or I have to completly leave Control Panel's Word completion tab, and only change registry. And Control Panel applet's tab become unused.
I know it's not a big thing, but I don't like this :)

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
have any of you noticed this stops working out of the blue sometimes? i have to go into the keyboard options and check the use suggestion then uncheck it
Yes, the same here.
The fix worked fine for the first couple of days, after that it suddenly stopped working. When I check the suggesting words box (so enabled!) the suggesting words stops again.
When I then uncheck it again, it stays disabled after a soft reset, but it will start suggesting some time later again..... :mad:

I'd sure like to see some sort of true 'final' of Windows Mobile 6.0 for the Universal, only containing three fixes:

1. No more word suggesting trouble - disabling means disabling, enabling means enabling.

2. Windows Live Messenger uses only Wi-Fi when connected to a Wi-Fi network and only uses GPRS/3G when not connected to Wi-Fi network.

3. Ofcourse: full 3G video call support.

szilamer

May 26, 2005
Problems

Yes, the same here.
The fix worked fine for the first couple of days, after that it suddenly stopped working. When I check the suggesting words box (so enabled!) the suggesting words stops again.
When I then uncheck it again, it stays disabled after a soft reset, but it will start suggesting some time later again..... :mad:

I'd sure like to see some sort of true 'final' of Windows Mobile 6.0 for the Universal, only containing three fixes:

1. No more word suggesting trouble - disabling means disabling, enabling means enabling.

2. Windows Live Messenger uses only Wi-Fi when connected to a Wi-Fi network and only uses GPRS/3G when not connected to Wi-Fi network.

Hmm, that's very strange.
I will check and rebuild it soon.
Thanks for the bug report.

Laurentius26

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 22, 2005
Word suggestion

Hi,

Don't know but do you use tools like SK Tools or PocketMechanic?
Sometimes they clean the registry to deep.

Cheers, Leo :)

Yes, the same here.

cheavannara

Aug 14, 2007
Hi,

I see that currently leaked WM6 versions have problem with word suggestion checkbox in Start / Settings. You have to uncheck word suggestion on every soft reset. WM6 forget this setting.
This little fix should cure this :)

Install:

Copy wsuggfix.cab to Universal and uncheck word suggestion.

Try soft reset. Windows should remember your setting.

How does it work?
-------------------

The fix consists of two files:
wsgfix.dll
sippoll.exe

wsgfix.dll is a service dll. After installing cab wsgfix.dll creates a hidden window, and requests notifications about
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip, SuggWords value changes.
When Suggwords changes wsgfix copy this value to its own registry key.

sippoll.exe is only started on system startup. sippoll reads Suggwords and disables word suggestion if disabled and copy Suggwords back to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip, SuggWords. That's all. sippoll doesn't occupy precious program memory :)
hi i'm new here. i have tried your solution with no luck. please help me!

jonflow

Mar 23, 2007
Angleton, TX
divested.org
Thanks for the registry keys!! I added them to the wizard wiki, someone else can change it around I guess...

Does anyone know how to stop WM6 from auto-capping the first letter in a new sentence automatically? I just don't want it to do this anymore, and the Settings > Input checkbox isn't helping... so where in the registry is it?

Please no more CAB files, I like to know where in the registry it is for knowledge reasons :)

signy

Jan 14, 2008
Fix with MortScript

There are another solution (simply - maybe stoopid) to fix this Word Suggestion bug - with MortScript.

When you have MortScript installed simply create text file named SuggWords_Off.mscr with this code:
Code:
RegWriteDWord( "HKCU", "ControlPanel\Sip", "SuggWords", "0" )
and put this file into \Windows\StartUp .