• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

WordWise - Scrabble type game!

Search This thread

mdneilson

Sep 3, 2007
MN, USA
Finally! I've been waiting for a game even remotely close to Words With Friends for the iPhone to come out and I just found this the other day. And no, this is not a plug... I didn't make the game, I'm just excited about it and wanted to spread the word :D

WordWise! http://polyclefsoftware.blogspot.com/2010/05/wordwise-pro-released.html

There is an official Scrabble game made by Handmark.

http://store.handmark.com/p/174363/scrabble-for-android/

NguyenHuu

Nov 14, 2007
California
Finally! I've been waiting for a game even remotely close to Words With Friends for the iPhone to come out and I just found this the other day. And no, this is not a plug... I didn't make the game, I'm just excited about it and wanted to spread the word :D

WordWise! http://polyclefsoftware.blogspot.com/2010/05/wordwise-pro-released.html

it is a great game. however, i keep getting forceclose ever since i upgraded to cyanogen 6 alpha. so sad. i dont wanna downgrade back to eclair just for this game, haha. i emailed the devs and see if they can update for froyo.

wow, 8 bucks for that game compared to 1 dollar for wordwise in market. lol.

okolowicz

Jun 6, 2010
EA Mobile (makers of the iPhone Scrabble game) also makes an Android version. Oddly, they make it near impossible to find, purchase, and download.

On some Android phones you can simply go to rim.eamobile.com and find it by browsing. It's $7 just like the one a few posts up but if you like the iPhone version you might prefer this one since the interface is nearly identical.

That said, browsing the EA Mobile site does not work on all Android phones in which case I'd recommend using "User Agent Switcher" in Firefox from your PC to trick the EA site into thinking you are browsing from a compatible device. That's what I had to do and I'd be happy to post instructions if anyone needs them.

Alternatively, if you send me a PM I'd be happy to share the apk so that you can test it out before buying.

EDIT: I just saw the version on Handbrake and interestingly it is also made by EA, however, the interface is quite different than the iPhone-esque version available through the EA site (at least when I bought it a month ago). They are either selling multiple versions or did a redesign.

Last edited:

mdneilson

Sep 3, 2007
MN, USA
wow, 8 bucks for that game compared to 1 dollar for wordwise in market. lol.

My thoughts exactly. I can buy the physical game for $10, and a used one from a garage sale for no more than $5. :rolleyes:

EA Mobile (makers of the iPhone Scrabble game) also makes an Android version. Oddly, they make it near impossible to find, purchase, and download.

On some Android phones you can simply go to rim.eamobile.com and find it by browsing. It's $7 just like the one a few posts up but if you like the iPhone version you might prefer this one since the interface is nearly identical.

That said, browsing the EA Mobile site does not work on all Android phones in which case I'd recommend using "User Agent Switcher" in Firefox from your PC to trick the EA site into thinking you are browsing from a compatible device. That's what I had to do and I'd be happy to post instructions if anyone needs them.

Alternatively, if you send me a PM I'd be happy to share the apk so that you can test it out before buying.

EDIT: I just saw the version on Handbrake and interestingly it is also made by EA, however, the interface is quite different than the iPhone-esque version available through the EA site (at least when I bought it a month ago). They are either selling multiple versions or did a redesign.

Hmmmm. Now I'm curious too. I'll take a look too... post if you find anything out.

Seems to me like the official one doesn't support online games. From the site it states the following game types:
  • Play alone
  • Play computer
  • Pass and play (which to me sounds like handing your phone back and forth)

Yep, no online play. I prefer it that way anyway. People just quit when they start losing.