Work profile custom keyboard problem after updating to android 8

Search This thread

sh32479

Mar 6, 2013
Has anyone tried downgrading to Nougat, then upgrading to Oreo (without factory reset)? Will the Gboard still be grandfathered in that case?

I'm more than willing to go through that trouble to be able to use Gboard with Knox.

nikoul

Jun 8, 2018
I have the same issue with my Galaxy S8, it is very annoying...
I also have a Oneplus 3, and it works without any issue.

Samsung please do something !

dummyxl

Nov 16, 2012
I updated my s7 to oreo and did a reset. Now can't change to SwiftKey after adding the work profile. Samsung you screw up Thank You For That! Now have to use Another phone voor my work profile because i don't want to use the Samsung keyboard

Please fix!!

mathias1234

Jun 13, 2018
Same problem

I'm on an S9+ with a Gsuite work profile. Same problem. I've used swiftkey for 5+ years, switched to Gboard on my previous iphone, was excited to have a functional version of swiftkey on an android again, and bam. Stuck with the samsung keyboard. I checked with the company Gsuite administrator and he confirmed there is nothing on his end, it is an issue with samsung. Very disappointed.

dealsdyker

Apr 20, 2018
1. Those of you with Business connection to Samsung call your corporate reps demand a ticket opened.
Demand results.
2. Those without follow to Samsung support and open ticket there.

Post back results here!

Start leaving reviews on the Galaxy s8 and s9 on the Amazon forums with negative. Samsung software is doing this to you. Only way to get heard is make sure they HEAR you. If a tree falls in the forest but isn't heard, did it make a noise?

>90 days now and no results, even though there have been several "bug fix security updates" already. Samsung isn't moving. Let them hear your voice and continue to keep this (only) thread active! If you know of a thread that is more active on this issue or have any information keep this thread updated because we can all use more info to ensure we get heard at Samsung.

Last edited:

square_eyes

Apr 25, 2011
Just got 1 May OTA update on my S8. No joy enabling swiftkey :(

Also Google Pay isn't working. I have it set up (two cards viewable when I open the app), but when I swipe my phone it seems to default to my work profile which has no cards loaded, and prompts me to set one up.

Last edited:

fredrickjohnson

Jun 19, 2018
Hi All,

I am a tech in a GSuite based IT department. We have a test GSuite environment and I have been playing with device management.

In the past, I have been really frustrated by not being able to keep my work and personal accounts all separate in my phone, and I finally got the OK from my boss to test out some of these features in our test environment.

I enabled Android for Work in our test environment and got a Work profile set up on my Note 8 running Oreo. All looked great!! Until later that night, I noticed my keyboard had changed and that my Gboard was "disabled by admin."

I thought it was a problem with how I configured everything on the GSuite admin console, but it looks like this problem is isolated to Samsung devices!

I will continue to follow this thread, as I hope this issue is resolved someday!

Reactions: gofunk100

dummyxl

Nov 16, 2012
I posted my bug on Twitter, this is the (late) response. They don't find it a problem because It Is Not A Samsung app what the... So they don't support anything else than Samsung apps, it's not a bug in their eyes.

I even gets the feeling it's on purpose and i don't think they will fix it without user pressure.

https://twitter.com/dum_online/status/1010590319144992768?s=19

Ps.
New response on my frustration, really fast this time..

Gboard works? Still i want to use SwiftKey.

Last edited:

sh32479

Mar 6, 2013
Just picked up a security update on my unlocked S9 this morning. Issue is still present.

I'm seriously considering switching to another phone due to this issue.

solocapso

Jun 27, 2018
Got a response from Samsung support regarding this issue. Hopefully it will result in a change if people continue to complain about this:

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting the Samsung US Technical support.

We understand that Samsung knox and Android work profile in the Android version 8.0 causing custom keyboard to be disabled in work profile.

Thank you for sharing the attachment. I would like to inform you that after the Android version 8.0 custom keyboard are disabling in the work profile and as of now there is no option to enable the custom keyboard in work profiles. If there is any option I would have surely helped you with that.

Samsung keeps developing updates using the currently available technologies, feedback received, other sources and will be releasing them on a timely basis. It is never our intent to see you inconvenienced with the product or service.

Thank you for writing in to us and expressing your desire to use the custom keyboards in work profile on phone with Oreo update. We value your input about your favorite features on our devices.

Hopefully you might be get all the features that you are expecting in the updates which will be released in the future.

We would appreciate your understanding in this matter.

If you wish to chat, email or call us for further assistance, please go to the "Contact Us" option available on the right hand side of the E-mail.

Thank you for choosing Samsung products.

Sincerely,
Manasa

dummyxl

Nov 16, 2012
They say its a restrictions in the oreo Android work Profile.

But this Is ONLY on the Samsung devices.

So maybe I didn't understand it correctly, but Samsung will not fix it and deny there is a problem in their software?

dealsdyker

Apr 20, 2018
Time to fire back at Samsung for this awful mess but we need ALL OF YOUR HELP! Please... leave a ONE STAR REVIEW for the Galaxy Keyboard. You can do this from your phone by clicking here from your phone. If this link doesn't take you there, follow the instructions below.

How to Leave a negative Review for Samsung's awful forced keyboard (takes 1 minute):
  1. Open the app on your phone called "Galaxy Apps". This is the Samsung version of the Play store.
  2. Search for "Samsung Keyboard"
  3. Scroll down to button/box "Write a review".
  4. Leave a 1-star for this awful keyboard, let them know you don't appreciate them forcing it and how awful it is!

I would GREATLY appreciate you doing this now my friends!! Feel free to reply to this post if you have time, to encourage us after leaving your review!

Last edited:
Reactions: whalemonster

coolkatz321

Jul 28, 2010
Anyone have an update to this? I have an S9 and the problem persists on that as well. It's driving me up the wall.

dummyxl

Nov 16, 2012
Anyone have an update to this? I have an S9 and the problem persists on that as well. It's driving me up the wall.

Sadly not, if you want to use a Samsung device you have to accept it. Microsoft (SwiftKey) did not respond and Samsung and Google have the status "no fix*. They think its as designed.

I have sold my Samsung phone and tomorrow i will use a Nokia 7+ problem solved.

But I'm really pissed off! Because this cost me money and i was planning to use this device al least one more year.

Never ever Samsung again

dealsdyker

Apr 20, 2018
Friends, We have actually knocked off a star on their keyboard app. Please, if you haven't, follow the instructions above to leave a 1 star review expressing your displeasure appropriately. It is now a 3 star. Let's see if we can send a message getting it to two stars.

On a side note, how is this not a bigger issue, or picked up by some new agency talking about Samsung's overarching attitude by eliminating choice and becoming another Apple... This is why I don't use apple, because I want to use what I want, not what Apple wants. AFter this phone is out of contract I am done with Samsung.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same problem on S9+. Defeats the purpose of Work Profile imho... I was not able to enable Gboard, Swype or SwiftKey. I'm demoing InTune for my company, and by default there are no device restrictions, especially nothing about third-party keyboards or settings, etc. So it seems to be Knox-specific, with no way to actually control those settings that I've found yet.

Side note: deleting the work profile (that is, removing the Company Portal app, which removes the rest) restored my ability to select my own keyboard.

Now, I know keyboards can collect whatever data you type... but I specifically allowed Gboard (for example) as an approved app within the Microsoft InTune admin center, and I *still* couldn't enable it.

Samsung: please explain.

I've logged a ticket for Samsung and they made a troubleshooting. They said it was a incompatibility from Google Device Policy and Knox. Also, the technician told me to send an email to GDP Developers. I will do this week and forward the answer (if) here.
    Got a response from Samsung support regarding this issue. Hopefully it will result in a change if people continue to complain about this:

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting the Samsung US Technical support.

We understand that Samsung knox and Android work profile in the Android version 8.0 causing custom keyboard to be disabled in work profile.

Thank you for sharing the attachment. I would like to inform you that after the Android version 8.0 custom keyboard are disabling in the work profile and as of now there is no option to enable the custom keyboard in work profiles. If there is any option I would have surely helped you with that.

Samsung keeps developing updates using the currently available technologies, feedback received, other sources and will be releasing them on a timely basis. It is never our intent to see you inconvenienced with the product or service.

Thank you for writing in to us and expressing your desire to use the custom keyboards in work profile on phone with Oreo update. We value your input about your favorite features on our devices.

Hopefully you might be get all the features that you are expecting in the updates which will be released in the future.

We would appreciate your understanding in this matter.

If you wish to chat, email or call us for further assistance, please go to the "Contact Us" option available on the right hand side of the E-mail.

Thank you for choosing Samsung products.

Sincerely,
    Manasa
    Hi,

I have a problem and I do not know how to resolve it. I have a work profile on my phone (Samsung Galaxy s8+) and everything has been working fine until now.
    Today I updated to android 8.0.0 Oreo from android 7.0 and after that I did a full wipe. When I restored all my apps and settings I decided to log in in Device Policy app to create work profile.
    Everything was succesfull but after a while I noticed that keyboard changed back to original Samsung keyboard. So I went to settings and tried to change keyboard but I could not do that because it was disabled by admin. The problem is that I can not use custom keyboard in my work profile and in my personal profile either. If it was only in work profile I would understand that but I do not know why it is disabled in my personal account.
    I went throught G suite admin console but I did not find the option how to disable this behaviour so I think it is Oreo behaviour or it has to do something with Knox.

I do not know where is the problem. It was working fine on android 7.0 but now I can not use custom keyboard.
    Can you please help me how I can make custom keyboard to work on my phone without deleting my work profile?

Thank you very much

AP0NPvoNbSChAlgu1

cbmHw0uulSLcMfjo2
    Same problem on S9+. Defeats the purpose of Work Profile imho... I was not able to enable Gboard, Swype or SwiftKey. I'm demoing InTune for my company, and by default there are no device restrictions, especially nothing about third-party keyboards or settings, etc. So it seems to be Knox-specific, with no way to actually control those settings that I've found yet.

Side note: deleting the work profile (that is, removing the Company Portal app, which removes the rest) restored my ability to select my own keyboard.

Now, I know keyboards can collect whatever data you type... but I specifically allowed Gboard (for example) as an approved app within the Microsoft InTune admin center, and I *still* couldn't enable it.

Samsung: please explain.
    On phone it's listed as 26 July, but received it yesterday via T mobile. G95OUSQU5CRG3 is baseband.. hope that helps